Latest data shows Windows Phone holding 24 percent of the Finnish smartphone market

Nokia

Finland has been in the spotlight today with news that the Lumia 520 has taken the best seller spot across three national mobile operators. We're not halting with that report as it hascome to our attention that StatCounter paints an interesting picture regarding market share in Finland. According to the web traffic analysis company, Windows Phone holds 24 percent of the smartphone market.

iOS holds the top position with 36 percent, while Android is in close second on 34 percent. Finland isn't the largest market for Microsoft and its OEM partners to tackle, but it's good to see the home of Nokia rallying behind the mobile platform.

StatCounter

Unfortunately, when looking at other markets, the data shows Microsoft lagging behind still, but this is a sign of continued progress being made.

Source: StatCounter; thanks, Sami, for the tip!

Comments

Prezdhill says:

It's good news but shows that progress still needs to be made.

chucky says:

I'm not surprised.

toph36 says:

RIch... how about about some comps?

Lol why is the 928 in the pic about Finnish phone shares?

tribexx says:

You think that is amusing? Look at the Virgin Islands!!!
Go Nintendo!

Josh Harman says:

So, according to the chart, Nokia is almost neck & neck with iPhone and Android in Finland (when including Symbian & Series 40 with WP).

Tazmany1 says:

That's true. But if including also non-smartphones, I believe Nokia is number 1.

willied says:

That would be awesome if these stats (at least for WP) were the same worldwide. Heh.

Kellzea says:

At this rate it will become number one in Finland. And although Americans will scoff at that, its a big deal.

tavisdunn says:

I guess its good to be 20%+ anywhere though Finland is something like 1/6th the market of Canada even.

Spedez says:

I think more Nokia phones has been sold in Finland than in Canada to this day.

gsquared says:

I'm American and I think its a very big deal. Shows Nokia has a firm footing on their home turf. With Nokia's business improving across the board I would expect that number to continue rising. If the Finn's see Nokia putting up the good fight they will get behind them.

Chazz says:

Ya, im American and I agree too(sup with that jab?). It does not look good for you if you can't win in your home turf. Especially with the knowledge that Nokia is very favored and held as a pride for their country. If they lose that then what does that say about them?

I really like this news.

I thought there was a law that Finnish folks had to buy Nokia phones ...

Tazmany1 says:

Unfortunately no...

paavoris says:

No. But we do get a free Nokia phone after we shoot our first polar bear. Usually that happens between ages 5 and 7.
;-)

Nakazul says:

Hahahahaaa hahaha. You rule.

Bloobed says:

Yeah, and we get it from Santa himself, but if you accidentally shoot a reindeer you get sticks and stones, or worse Samsung.

lkbig says:

This is good news for Nokia in Finland but it is a drop in the bucket for a worldwide company. Finland's population is three times smaller than the Los Angeles Metro area just to put things in perspective.

HikiSpray says:

Smaller in weight or numbers?

he_shark says:

Considering how a lot of people have a problem with Nokia in Finland due to them dropping Symbian and having to downsize and fire so many people this is pretty impressive. Give it 6 months when we have Windows 8.1 (or 9?) and some handsets that take advantage of that and they will be the number one OS there.

drbanks says:

Given how most Americans are so fond of asserting that Windows Phone is "a joke," one can only conclude that the Finns have a finely honed sense of humor.

Yangstax says:

Now I hope that Nokia would lower the 620 price to make it an entry phone WITH front camera.

Josh Harman says:

What is up with all the comments about America in here?
No one in here is knocking on Finland, yet the anti-American sentiment is apparently uncontainable with some people, no matter the subject matter. It's disgusting.

drbanks says:

I'm not meaning to be anti-American. Just pointing out that the US consumer is either a fandroid or steventologist, with little sign of that changing any time soon.

HillBillJr says:

Colombia
Uruguay
Brazil
Argentina
Chile

Nakazul says:

No love in Sweden. But isn't U.K a rather good place to live as a WP enthusiasm?

pierrerv says:

What about Germany. They just dropped the apple and head for the windows

kiddori says:

A lot of people are emotional shoppers....me included. Same reason Blackberry is still doing well in Canada.

Tips_y says:

Was actually curious about that. Glad to hear BB is still popular in Canada. Unfortunately, it's going down precipitously everywhere else. By the way, how popular is BB compared to iOS and Android in Canada?

kiddori says:

It's strikingly similar to Nokia in Finland. According to StatCounter, Blackberry had a 21.7% market share in Canada as of July 2013.

jtoi says:

I'm a Finn... I Was once asked would I have bought a Windows Phone if it wasnt made by Nokia... I said: "No"... Now I know What it is (and What it isnt), suits me Fine...

zacman says:

Internationally WP still has a very long way to go. It only gained 0.6% market share within a year (Q2/12: 3.3%; Q2/13: 3.9%). In the same time Android gained 10% and now has a market share of 80% globally. iOS lost 3% and now has about 13%.

wpbazaar says:

It took 30 seconds to complete the article by selecting Aug 12 (12.8%) and Jul 13 (18.1%). There was as much share growth in the last month as there had been in the previous 11 months. This appears to confirm the red hot status of the latest cheap phones.

You're welcome.