Facebook Beta for Windows Phone updated, adds emoticons to status updates

Facebook Beta Windows Phone 8

Microsoft has been working pretty hard on the Facebook Beta app. It’s been seeing some fairly frequent updates slowly adding more and more features. Today they’ve released another update that brings some small fixes and changes. Details after the break.

What can you look forward to after updating to version 5.0.3.1? Stability and performance improvements (always welcomed) and now you have the ability to add emoticons to status updates. That’s not going to set the world on fire, but you can now spell out your mood using little pictograms.

What else do you still want to see fixed in Facebook for Windows Phone? Vent below while we grab you some tissues and chocolate.

The Facebook Beta for Windows Phone 8 is free. You can get it in the Store, use the QR code below, or swipe to the right in our app.

Thanks for the tip Dario

Via: Plaffo

QR: Facebook Beta

Comments

Send pics to friends on fb chat come on

comment pictures (memes) please>?????

evilrobot says:

This one - so confusing when you can't see photos in comments, makes some comments seem to not make any sense.

wtrmlnjuc says:

This one really, why can't we send or receive pictures?

bahamut443 says:

But I like chocolate...

walter1832 says:

No love for turtles?

blackhawk556 says:

I like turtles! :-P

erasure25 says:

Can you tag people in status updates using "@name"?

Pacs_R_Us says:

Yes, I keep waiting for that update

justinlpsu says:

I can't wait for this to be added either.

4bh1sh3k says:

Been waiting for this for ages... c'mon!!

Jandieg says:

I don't think that will be possible. The API doesn't allow it (if they are using the regular API). For the same reason why Instagram pictures can't be seen on newsfeed.

DanNC247 says:

I would like to see a metro ui

Josh Harman says:

Let it go, not going to happen.
We had that in the original Microsoft Facebook (unofficial). It was abandoned for this, Facebook wants a more universal experience.

astroXP says:

...and yet the upcoming Facebook app for Windows 8 is extremely Metro UI oriented. LOL. But yeah, it's a lost case. I can't wait though to read people explaining why on the desktop it does fit more the Metro UI over the phone experience.

Josh Harman says:

Well...
I guess it's a little more important to have it the same on phones than tablets, with the extra screen space.

lonbraj says:

I like the way it's now. The action bar on the top could be a little more flat.

trickym81 says:

How about proper notifications for new messages? Has this been added yet?

h_portal says:

+1020  I just wish the notification worked as well as on Twitter app.

Josh Harman says:

It works great in the Twitter app.

trickym81 says:

I agree. The fact that they work so well in the Twitter app shows that it's possible to have great notifications on Windows Phone.

MVogelezang says:

H_portal is absolutely right

MDak280 says:

Exactly. The official Twitter app is one of the few that has working push notifications (except for some reason the notification count on the tile/lockscreen doesn't go past 1). Facebook notifications and chat have not worked properly for me and it really needs to be fixed.

Aaron Cortes says:

Same... Notifications DO work on windows phone, but some apps are poorly coded. That's it. Whatsapp works now, Twitter works, surprisingly Voxer works even better. I could go on but it'd be boring, come on, how come Microsoft can't do a proper app with proper notifications for their platform.

tcube says:

Funny how Microsoft themselves cannot implement proper notifications.

HYDR0SH0K says:

To save pictures..

tonyfreak215 says:

+1 would love that feature. We used to have it at one point ..

SleepyTheDon says:

As small as it is this is a huge step in the right direction, now if we could do it phone our phones that's would be great!

Ben Hanson says:

What about the actual Facebook feature 'What are you doing", where you add 'feeling' 'doing' 'watching' etc

Nickkk101 says:

NOTIFICATIONS WORKING PLEASE

kenzibit says:

When will I see "Facebook Beta for Windows Phone 8 now available for Windows Phone 7" ? Tired of waiting mehn.

Josh Harman says:

The beta isn't coming to WP7.
You're waiting for one of two things... an upgrade to WP8 or the official Facebook app to be made available to WP7.

walter1832 says:

520....$90.....Amazon.....get it!

wtrmlnjuc says:

After they fix a lot of stuff I guess. Plus, WP8 is their main platform right now, WP7 has been going for nearly 3 years.

i know the feeling..
that's why i sold off my 710, added some more money and got myself a 520..it's a good deal..

cruisezero says:

Can't update.. getting error code: 80048823. Anyone else?

Elton Jothi says:

Facebook Messenger and Notifications is all i need

Josh Harman says:

BTW, did you know that you can pin the 'messages' section to you start screen?

rockstarzzz says:

Doesn't work as messenger. No notifications.

Elton Jothi says:

yea i already have it pinned, but still useless it is

nizzon says:

Klicking notification, message, friend request is finally responsive and somewhat fluid.

Mister Gore says:

The QR code seems to lead to the Facebook app, not the beta. Just a heads up.

Rikr2 says:

I think it is no longer Facebook Beta, now is just Facebook , from MSFT

sholokov says:

Two different apps. Beta and released version, both exist simultaneously.

Josh Harman says:

Notifications and messages in the message hub.

Notifications very, very rarely work (I'm talking one or two in three months).
Facebook messages sometimes show up, sometimes they don't. Really a pain when in mid-conversation via chat and it skips a reply or two. Also sucks when you get a message and don't know until you open the app two days later.

4bh1sh3k says:

Yep it's really annoying... fixing notifications should be priority.

Josh Harman says:

Interestingly, I noticed on uservoice for the Facebook app that a "project manager" (forgot his name) for the app had favorited 5 topics. I had already voted for all of them, 2 of them were about notifications and messaging... so maybe they are at least trying to something about it.

xpxp2002 says:

There's a UserVoice for the Facebook app?!

kenovi says:

Is it true that notifications get delayed or even lost with this app? my sis who is using this app on her 620 constantly complaining about it. What other facebook solutions out there that I can perhaps recommend my sis to use then?

visnit14 says:

How about you start differentiating top news and recent news.they are more or less same.i always have to log in to the web version to get the top news

kirklyt says:

It's the Fb Chat/Messaging that is very much left behind. I want to be able to view/send image, colorful emoticons and stickers. Fb has a store now for those, we're so left behind in that dep't. I want to be able to share articles/images right from the News Feed to a person privately(Fb messaging) and to various groups and pages of which I'm an admin. Fb moods and activities support and hashtags, too. I'd try this one out.

Ultimateone says:

Notifications should be top priority

4bh1sh3k says:

Yes MS should fix notifications first

Josh Harman says:

Yes and messaging.

Tbonium says:

Any developer time not spent on fixing notifications when somebody sends you messages is time wasted.

Rikr2 says:

It is no longer Facebook Beta.

Ummm yeah....2 different apps bud.

Altin Selimi says:

ChatHeads, like iOS has, would be a totally AWESOME !

MVogelezang says:

True, would love that!

Please fix notifications to come in time,not after 3-4 days!

Toxid_Fox says:

Great, getting my 920 in a week or so :)

I can't wait to jump abord the WP ship ^^

visnit14 says:

Quite unstable ship though

Aryan Angel says:

Really unstable.

Credo93 says:

I think the QR code is not the one for Facebook Beta, it's the link to the original Facebook app ... Correct me if i'm wrong ...

Greetzz.

scgf says:

Yeah, I just noticed that. I used the QR code from the previous news item about Facebook Beta. That worked

Shiawian says:

Ability to edited messages and save photo to the picture hub.

Divora says:

I want the sharing bug fixed

lerimer says:

I just wish that Rudy Huyn would do a Facebook app on par with Facebook for iPhone. Everything from pictures to stickers on messages. A share function that actually works. Tagging friends in pictures and places.... Not to mention toast notifications!!!!

bahamut443 says:

I wish MS would pay Rudy to be on their dev team. Shit would get done.

rakeshrai says:

Is it amazing that one developer with very little resources manages to do a better job than a team of paid developers from Microsoft.

lerimer says:

This app is a joke. I see myself actually going to the mobile site more and more now.

4bh1sh3k says:

Me too... the only place where chat works properly.

Daakkon says:

How about the chat actually showing people that are online? It never refreshes properly, if at all. What about notifications that actually work properly? Or the tile actually working when someone sends me a message?

Aryan Angel says:

They need to stop wasting their time on these little features that no one uses. When are we going to be able to chat, send pictures in messages, mention people in comments, post pictures in comments or at least be able to see what others posted. They should at least make the chat feature, that's the most important part of Facebook. Why you no listen to us MS?

Just send the feedback to Facebook and tell them what you want!!

Aryan Angel says:

Already did. And so did hundreds of other people. They don't listen

Jandieg says:

JDB Facebook app has sorted out most of the issues, latest update runs much better

warmth says:

I have both Facebook & Facebook installed and seems like there is an incompatibility if you have both Notifications enabled since the previous beta, so I only enable one of them. This time I tried to turn off the ones of Facebook Stable and got an warning: They will try to change the notifications next time I start the app. At the end worked but when I tried to enable the ones of the beta version, the app crashes (crash log already sent). They are actually working on this, you could see it because now the notifications settings have an OK button, so it's an unfinished work. Hold on guys.
Note: I read in one of the Italian WP portals that Group Notifications are running under the hood in this version.

Darren Walsh says:

that mark zuca whatever needs a good kick up the hole and make an offical app !!!

Hek yeah *Napoleon Dynamite voice*

kellaz says:

I would love to add tag (names) for commenting. And add pictures as well, like the web version of it. That'll be cool

jwinch2 says:

Landscape view

Nakazul says:

So its on the Facebook app team everybody at MSFT works these days?

dannybisa says:

Still have privacy issues with reposting.  Reposts work on other facebook apps or websites.  Also integrate photo/multiphoto posting for pages you admin..

astroXP says:

Sam, could you please post some screenshots in regards with the emoticons so it reflects the post? The header picture is the same one used for every update for Facebook. I don't have access to WP8 and would like to see the changes.

THE_Lawnboy says:

Nor scrolling to the top upon auto-refresh following a click through on the newsfeed. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

JohnStrk says:

Agreed!!!  I hardly ever use this app anymore compared to checking notifications in my People Hub. Got tired of scrolling half way down my timeline, click on a post or link, and then it sends me all the way back up top again!  Frustrating!!

Hope that issue is fixed soon :(

Karanstyle says:

Same issue. However any alternate Facebook app for the time being..??

Josh Harman says:

If you change the cache refresh option to 15 minutes it should give you more time to scroll through before it refreshes.

sikitomi says:

And still no wp7.x version, although it was promised... :/

cddigi says:

I just want parity on the chat. We don't have any notifications for group messaging, can't send or view pictures in chat, and sticker support.

I cannot update. there is no update in the store.

QR code brought up facebook not facebook beta

donebrasko says:

I'd like to be able to make a comment without being taken back to the top

Karanstyle says:

Same problem if you come back from a post to your newsfeed which loads afresh and takes you to the top and then you've to scroll down till where you were

StevenChoon says:

(off topic) anyone face problems in facebook chat at messaging? my phone always show no one is online

Yeah, just tried on the 'rent's Lumia 620 and Facebook messaging is still broken on the app.  Wasn't able to send/receive photos or video.

Karanstyle says:

Whenever you open a post from the Newsfeed and come back the whole Newsfeed refreshes and reaches to the top of the newsfeed and have you scrolling down till where you were. Why not add a bar on top of the Newsfeed mentioning '12 New Stories'..

Duduosf says:

It's like you read my mind

Yup, that's exactly how it works in Android. As you click about on posts and links, the number of new stories will grow as new posts appear, then when you are ready you can tap the "X New Posts" tag at the top and it will take you to the top where the new posts start.

Karanstyle says:

I know I still have my Ex-Phone Sony Xperia Neo and Fb works like that. It's simple code for them to implement.

Duduosf says:

The ability to tag friends in comments/posts

I'm tired with this Users Voice thing!!
People had been requesting things for ages in the WP Users Voice and the top ideas all had been fixed/implemented!!
And now the FB app Users Voice became the same thing. The top requested thing is Facebook Chat Working and after so many updates nothing is this area was fixed!!

Cellus13 says:

It'll set something on fire for me. Finally!

FearL0rd says:

They removed the MESSAGE notification lol... and Now when I save the notifications settings it crashes.. lol

lonbraj says:

Can't fix it, remove it.

ajftl says:

Can't update change your profile pic or timeline pic. Grrrr. Its a mess. Windows phone. Easy to use nothing to use.

Sorry guys... but how can I put my Status with emoticons? I did not observed no changes...

Ninojr says:

It would be nice sending photos on chat...and of course tagging people on statuses and comments

M_Lyons10 says:

I like this new version a lot, but I'm still having an issue where I get an error when trying to share someone else's post. It's also missing the following:

Pages management support

Saving pictures

Ability to expand messages that are too long

Quin 2013 says:

So it took away my background pic display that use to show on the large type.

Anyone else have that issue?

Calintz Tan says:

Time travelling notifications from the past please stop haunting me.

d4emend says:

1. Recently commented posts in a group should appear on top of page, as in iOS version.
2. Should be able to comeback to the last page you are on after relaunch of app.

lonbraj says:

The first one should be addressed right away.

Josh Harman says:

Has everyone voted/posted for these things on the uservoice for the app?

lonbraj says:

Group notifications now redirect to proper post instead of group wall. That's a huge improvement for me. Glad to see it's fixed.

I'm not using it until they fix the auto refresh. Drives me crazy.

Khoa Lai says:

Not sure if any of u has this issue, but since the last update, the official FB app's been giving me notifications from weeks ago.

Josh Harman says:

The best thing about the WP Facebook app is that there is no inline news feed ads. I'm sure its coming, but its not here yet.

lexmarq says:

Looks like they disabled fast resume if you want to go back to Facebook by pressing the icon on the start screen.

PepsimanLeh says:

Anyone can't share posts?

ratkutti says:

To repost a page's post/picture, to my timeline.

TheOnlyMoxey says:

Too many company posts on my News Feed. I will use my PC browser and it will be a nice mix of friend's status updates and companies/personalities I have liked. Use the app on my HTC 8x: its all companies, all the time. Usually its the takes about the first 15 posts to hit a human being I known.
Also when I comment on a post, instead of returning the my previous position in the news feed I am dumped back at the top - followed by frantic scrolling down (see first point).
Lastly, the toast notifications are way too slow. I get notifications between 3 hours and 2 days after the original post. Can't fathom what is wrong here......

nizzon says:

Dude you like too much shit on facebook. Stop liking companies and dont fall for stuff like "Like this and get a free dildo" etc.

But yeah, advertising and facebooks new "Sort by Top stories" are slowly killing facebook. When they fucked up the sorting I think 25% of my friends slowly stopped using fb. I bet most people still dont know they can sort by most recent.

TheOnlyMoxey says:

Lovely advice
Yeh, it's not so much the companies. More like bands I liked when Facebook first was launched. Most of the time I open Facebook and say "When the hell did I like them?". Since you can't unlike or ask to not show in timeline on the app, then I am fresh out of options.
Mine is set to most recent as a matter of course but I just have to make a note of the crap on my FB feed and then hide them/unlike them later on.
My other issues were more valid for all methinks....

nizzon says:

It was a bad joke ;)
Personally I feel I get more ads on my PC.

nizzon says:

Emoticons still shows up as squares when you browse fb on desktop. :(

mistryapurva says:

Can we plz have the ability to tag friends inline in posts and comments?

eortizr says:

I'm a heavy FB user, and thats the reason I keep coming to Android, I cant stand the limited options of WP8 facebook.

n8ter#AC says:

Almost wanna pull the plug and get a 928 on Verizon (Decent Hardware, Good camera/flash, Nice Pricepoint, nice storage with no need to manage SD Cards, etc.) as I'm switching carriers, but unless they have fixed the laggy notification issue that has plagued the platform since RTM 7.0 I can't do it.

What are Notifications like for Facebook, seriously...  I'll prolly go put my account on a display phone at the store and check it myself and then factory reset it anyways, so "it's perfect" if not true will not work.  Just want to get other people's experience with it on WP8.  Any app that relied on push notifications on WP7/7.5 was functionally worthless, so I had to go back to Android.

If issue is not fixed, then I'll have to wait another 1.5 years or so before looking at the platform again.

The push notifications for this app are still drunk. I get updates from two weeks ago or later, and it confuses me.

Hampuske says:

I would like to se when someone has read my message and typeing to me! :)

First of all, facbook for windows phone is just really bad. When it's my birthday, i check all the birthday wishes, and 2 weeks later I still get notifications of people who sais something on my wall but I already checked it.
Also, when I'm in chat, and someone replies, it doesnt change, you have to refresh the conversation.
And then, PLEASE let us receive and send pictures in chat. it's really annoying. COME ON MICROSOFT YOU ARE WAY BEGIND ON APPLE AND ANDROID! Really.. So few good apps.. I only got this phone 2 months and i'm already considering buying a new one.