Tile Me, Instafont and Surfy all pick up impressive updates

Microsoft says it's really time to dump Windows XP thru this clever infograph

Molome and Tile Me! pick up small updates for Windows Phone

Tile Me! gets updated with high-quality PNG image support and more

Tile Me! adds more phones and ability to save backgrounds in latest update

Tile Me! adds Twitter background creator with Nokia devices in latest update

Show your Windows Phone support with Tile Me!, now free for the next day

Have questions about Windows 8.1? Microsoft is ready to respond on Reddit and Twitter.

Nokia Australia backtracks on Bluetooth 4.0 LE; support coming to high-end Lumias via update

Nokia Australia: Bluetooth 4.0 LE not coming to high-end Lumias [Update]

Tile Me! gets Twitter addition in update; show your Windows Phone pride with ease

Xbox

Microsoft will keep loving your Xbox 360 with support until 2016

Tips

Tip: How to get an animated Me Tile for your Twitter profile

Tile Me! gets coveted GIF animation feature for social network sharing

Check out Windows Phone fan fave Tile Me! now with HQ image and custom text support

Windows Phone 8 GDR2 appears to fix low-resolution profile images for Me tile

Editorials

My short experience with a bricked Lumia 920 and Nokia Care Support

Microsoft to support Windows Phone 7 and 8 until 2014

USAA pulls Windows Phone app, claims there's simply not enough consumer interest

Ludicrous speed as T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 810 to get software update to enable LTE

Tile Me

Show your friends you support Windows Phone with the free app Tile Me!

If there is one thing Windows Phone supporters are good at, it’s self-promotion. We have a lot of evangelists in the crowd who want to get the word out about their OS of choice. We don’t blame you either, but we’re only as good as the tools we have to work with, which is why Tile Me! is worthy of your attention.

Over in the sub-Reddit dedicated to Windows Phone, a social media consultant named David Kimball had an idea: why not create profile pictures that looked like the Windows Phone Me Tile? The idea was to allow you to change your profile pic on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc., with the Windows Phone styled design, resulting in more awareness.

Tile Me

While a solid idea, it did lack one thing: practicality. That’s because David was creating the images one-by-one based on user request (see his website). While certainly helpful, in the long run that would not be feasible, especially if we sent a hundred thousand of our daily readers there.

Enter developer InfiniteLoop who decided to automate the process. What better way to do that than with a free (ad supported) Windows Phone app? Users can download Tile Me! for free, insert an image, pick their tile color and save it to their library for profile replacement. A paid version is evidently on the way, should you want to support the dev, but for now, you can use the ad-supported and free version.

In the future, we'd like to see support for the higher quality PNG format in addition to JPEG, but for now we'll take what we can get.

Overall, it’s a nifty little app powered by a great idea.

Pick up Tile Me! here in the Store. All Windows Phones. Thanks, Justin M., for the tip!

QR: Tile Me!

Comments

Jeff Kibuule says:

It should let you put your name instead of "Me" on the tile. Other than that, excellent idea!

Agreed, good point!

andreirlopes says:

Nope. It's "Me" on Windows Phone, not your name. It has to be the same.
I just think it should offer a option to translate the "me" word. Example: here in Brazil, the "me" tile is called "Eu". So, I would like to use the "Eu" tile.

Big Supes says:

Agreed. There's no point in the app if you're going to do something Windows Phone does not...

Ha the is no point on WP if there's no apps.

Big Supes says:

In other news, the price of fish has gone up.

Bee Mon says:

Why are you still hanging around here trolling on apps that don't even run on your new phone? I would think that since you've supposedly dropped your WP for IPhone 5, you should be more happy hanging over at iMore instead looking at apps that do run on your phone.

mpelti says:

But if you pin a friend, it shows their name on the top half, and pushes their picture down to the bottom half. I like the 1/3 Tile, 2/3 picture this app makes, but it would be better with my name, not "Me". Plus, if multiple people do it, you could end up with a people feed full of "Me" pics.

ErtaySh says:

That feature is on it's way :)

If anything, that's more of a statement that Windows Phone should allow you to edit it from "Me" on your phone as well. If I want my "Me" tile to say "Pimp Daddy Boi," I should be able to do that.

MVogelezang says:

I agree, or at least give it as option. "me" sounds so kiddy...

Robert Grant says:

Generally once you pass the age of 10 or so you replace "kiddy" with "childish" - see also "grown-up" and "adult".

Nejcooo says:

add yourself at people, and add your picture. Pin to start screen, take screenshot and cut it and you get profile picture :)

ErtaySh says:

It's coming in the next update, should be up within 2-3 days :)

Paulo1300 says:

i just take a screenshot of my homescreen and then crop it

+1 Seems like a legit alternative

cheesemoo says:

Unless you are still on WP7.X ..... :(

If you are, my offer still stands. :)

toph36 says:

Doesn't work for my photo... either you don't see the Me, or the photo gets cut off too much.

sumothong01 says:

That's what I did

NIST says:

Or you can do this in Microsoft Word. Crop, colored text box, snipit, post.

karelj says:

Heads up...there is a free version for WP 7.X in the marketplace.

Bartdog says:

I saw that post on baconit and he started out by offerring people to do it as a service.  I was too lazy to do it myself or even send him a picture, but this works great.

Glad there's an alternative now. ;)

dalydose says:

I bet you are! ha ha. Thanks for doing one for me though!

Happy to, friend!

Josh Harman says:

Problem is, for every 1 "evangelist" there is 3 uninformed, irrational people with a bullhorn.

Here, here. It's not clear where the line is between evangelist and blind fan boy.

Josh Harman says:

Yes, it is.
I was really speaking more to the clowns who constantly complain and are very often wrong with their "facts" and have misplaced expectations.

schlubadub says:

Where, where? :P
(EDIT: You meant "hear, hear")

*sigh* ... I always make that mistake. Thanks for the heads up.

JohnStrk says:

This is great.  I remember reading David Kimball's post about this on Reddit a few weeks back.  Love his personal Website too :)

Dadstar0410 says:

My Facebook profile picture syncs with my Me tile. So if I do this, there will be a double-Me on my Me tile... Good idea though.

Josh Harman says:

Great point... I didn't think about this, I only applied it to my twitter pic anyway though.

ErtaySh says:

Tap your Me tile (the start screen WP one) tap on your profile picture, tap the picture again to change it, now under Post to: untick Facebook and all the other accounts you dont want changed, but leave your main account Microsoft/Outlook Ticked). Problem solved :)

Dadstar0410 says:

Okay, but when I unticked Hotmail and only posted the update to Facebook, my Me tile on my phone still changed. I then had to work around this bug by again updating my profile picture but only for Hotmail so my Me tile would return to normal. Are you having that issue as well, or am I doing something wrong?

ErtaySh says:

No, you do not need to tick Facebook. Facebook should be unticked, and only hotmail should be ticked. Post the update to Hotmail only (as you did in the second try).

Dadstar0410 says:

I wanted to change my Facebook profile picture, not my Me Tile.

ErtaySh says:

You change your Facebook profile picture on your Computer :)

Or what you can do is, on the phone: First Post your new Me Tile on Facebook (untick everything else). Then Post your normal picture on Hotmail (untick everything else).

sayonical says:

Awww David K. Great little idea took off! :)

marcomura says:

Why do you dedicate an article of this inutility and you never gave attention about my app (Fb Friends) ?
(you could have replied saying you didn't find it interesting, at least)

Honestly, never heard of it. Regarding "at least reply", come over and check out  my inbox and ask me to reply to all the emails we get...

Look, things get missed, overlooked or purposefully ignored at times. Just the way it is, but complaining in comments doesn't really help too much.

lbaxter says:

To be fair, he DID get a response from you by posting something here. :)

horbeme says:

the same could've been said about the other writers on this site, instead of getting mad your app wasnt reviewed take this oppurtunity to have him or one of the other writers to check it out.

jabtano says:

You can always get the word out on XDA as well. also in WPC forums under new apps..many folks read that section another good way of getting the word out about your app. do that place a link I'll check it out.

kenzibit says:

Wow...great app

xankazo says:

Nice! Thanks for letting us know.

DeacoN_Jo says:

Guys it's working just fine on WP7.x , I've installed it on my Lumia800 and it's Brilliant !!

Big Supes says:

Great idea. Twitter profile pic - WP'd. :)

cjallan417 says:

Great idea. I had a "Me" tile for my facebook profile pic a while back and then used a photoshop template to surround it with a cover photo that looked like a Windows 8 start screen. I was thinking of the phone at first, but Windows 8 worked better in the horizontal layout.

Glad my idea took off so well. Cheers to the developer, Ertay, for making my idea a reality!

ErtaySh says:

Thanks David! If you ever visit Macedonia, let me know :)

ejb222 says:

Downloaded, created pic, posted pic. Thanks!

lnsertName says:

Cool idea, but now my Me tile on my handset looks retarded with the cropped "Me" with a smaller me scrolling in.

glassadam says:

Haha that's pretty funny. :D

AskaLangly says:

It's more for Facebook, etc., not for MS. However, just remove the Me tile and access yourself from the People Hub if you want it for MS. It's what I do.

That is very funny! I had this problem at first, too. But generally I change my profile picture on Hotmail/Microsoft (and not Facebook or Twitter), and it changes. :)

AskaLangly says:

I LOVE this idea. Calling me an evangelist is a bit of an understatement, though.

Candide yams says:

That's a great photo of you Daniel!

yea, i think it's really a nice shot n i try to scroll to see anyone else has the same thoughts too n found ur comment alas!! LOL

banjaboo says:

Awesome a new app that us old 7.X can use!!! (TITAN II and FOCUS)

ErtaySh says:

I am also stuck on WP7.X so I had to develop it for us 'broke' people as well :)

Bizk1d1 says:

Seen this and instantly thought it was another bloatware app from Liquid Daf. Surprisingly wrong, nice app :)

Giffdev says:

I wish there were timeline photos you could generate with it too ;)

Sullivan_K says:

Downloaded It. Works great. Would be cool of you could insert a custom message. The app could then optionally make a "live tile"-like gif.

Sullivan_K says:

Haha nice!! Now make it flip and say "best WP app developer!!" and you're golden :D

Xpider_MX says:

I need something like this...

ErtaySh says:

This is a planned feature. Will be added in one of the upcoming updates very soon.

Seems better to add the "Me" from the people hub. Then you get Notifications on that tile as well.

This isn't meant to be a replacement for the Metile from the People Hub, it's just a profile picture you can choose to put on your social profiles for promoting Windows Phone.

Nokia_Lover says:

Innovative Idea. Things like this are the need of the hour for WP eco system. Hats off to you David.

Thank you!
And couldn't agree with you more. The time is now.

Oxymoron428 says:

Eh, seems fun enough. I'll do it :)

Pacs_R_Us says:

Looking good in that picture, Daniel ;-)

clappenings says:

David ain't got time for dat

You know that's right!

Facebook and Twitter changed. I will change instagram too ;)

DJCBS says:

I'm going to keep my normal Facebook and Twitter profile pictures...but you know what? I'm DEFINITELY going to change my Instagram one for this. Just to p*ss them off XD

IT's just a pitty that it doesn't either allow us to put our name instead of "Me" and that it doesn't allow us to use our normal tile colour (It's missing, at least, T-Mobile's Grey)

ErtaySh says:

Putting your own text is coming in the next update. I will also add the custom Operator colors.

DJCBS says:

Awesome! Will be eagerly awaiting it ;D

Darutto says:

Nice idea, I've wanted to do this before but I was to lazy to do it by myself. Now, I'd like to know how to get my Xbox avatar to put it as the picture... Ive seen it around like that in twitter.

ErtaySh says:

Hello folks. I am the developer of this app and I just saw that the app was featured on WPCentral. To answer some of the requests, I am already done with the ability to change the text on the tile and am submitting the update very soon.

For the next updates, I plan to add support for more languages, higher resolution tiles (currently saves 500x500) and creating GIF animations.

sinister1 says:

Hey how about a F#$ken app that allows me to set custom tones for my incoming emails and text message? You know a useful app....

Nik Rolls says:

You know, that one that could never exist because there are no APIs for it....

sinister1 says:

Seriouslly, I've done this already using paint brush. They probably saw my Facebook pic and got the idea from there.

ParoleGA says:

I've never seen a tool use a paint brush before. How novel. L2Code and make all the apps you like.

I'm sorry, you must be having a bad day.

Manny C says:

Read about this the other day, this is really neat!

vikrant6 says:

Cool app.. What I did before was to manually crop the screenshot and made the WPC avatar pic.

Chris Yahya says:

I want animated GIF, for my twitter... Anyone know?

ErtaySh says:

Creating GIF animations is a planned feature Chris :)

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!
Keep it up, ErtaySh!

Chris Yahya says:

aww yea. cant wait!

um,, my friend on my twitter successfully make animated me tile on twitter O.o

i dont know how :((
maybe my friend uses generator..
#sorryenglish

ErtaySh says:

Tile Me! update is now under certification. The new version gives you the ability to enter your own text on the generated tile! The update should be live within 2-3 days.

Nik Rolls says:

I doubt you'll see PNG support any time soon. The currently available PNG library for Windows Phone is very bad, so it would have to be server-side rendering (with the associated costs).

TomR83 says:

I really do like the WP8 system, but the slow OS updates, missing epic apps like a proper facebook client, Google+, Snapchat and many more have convinced me to go back to iOS when they release the newest iPhone.
Too bad MS and Nokia. You had the chance to make som change in the smartphone world and you spoiled it big time.

bawboh86 says:

And why did you feel the need to post this here?

bawboh86 says:

So, the only problem I have with this app is that now, when "Me" comes down on my Me Tile, it says "Me Me". o_O Otherwise, this is pretty cool, I like it. :D

ErtaySh says:

Tap your Me tile (the start screen WP one) tap on your profile picture, tap the picture again to change it and select your original picture (not the one you generated using Tile Me!), now under Post to: untick Facebook and all the other accounts you dont want changed, but leave your main account Microsoft/Outlook or Hotmail Ticked). Post the new image. This will update your email profile picture, fix the double Me Me issue and leave your Facebook, Twitter etc. profile pictures as Me tiles.