GDR2 update for Nokia Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 show up on Nokia’s servers, can be flashed now for the daring

For those of you who are super anxious to get Microsoft’s latest OS release, Windows Phone 8 build 10327 (GDR2) along with Nokia’s highly anticipated Amber firmware update, there’s some good news for you today.

Users in our forums and on other sites have noticed that the files are now available on Nokia’s servers for the Lumia 820 and Lumia 920. The files can be downloaded and you can flash your device directly. The bad news is you need to flash your device, which means wiping out your current data and starting fresh as you install this new ROM. That’s opposed to the carrier-sanctioned method that will preserve your data. In addition, you are likely going to miss any custom firmware for your carrier, including possibly Data Sense, should you go down this route. [Note: checking under Settings > Phone Update won't yield any results]

Because of those reasons, we don’t really advocate you go ahead and try this method. It requires some instruction following and some software installation, but we know some of you are tinkerers who don’t mind losing all your saved games and app settings. If that’s the case, head into our forums to get started or follow the instructions on the fan site Nokia Views, who have links to the ROMs for the Lumia 820 and Lumia 920 (no other devices are available yet).

Windows Phone 10327 (GDR2) is a minor OS update that brings FM radio, some enhancements to Xbox Music, WAV file playback for voicemail, fixed Other storage, and other minor bug fixes in addition to enabling the new hardware found in the Lumia 1020. Nokia’s corresponding Amber update, which is what is causing the delays for release, allows the new Glance screen, flip to silence, Lumia Color Profile and an improved camera experience, making the combo of an update quite interesting for consumers.

Carriers are expected to release the update in August directly to customers, which will also feature custom firmware for that carrier, enabling such things as Data Sense in select markets. Now that we know that the final base OS and firmware package is on Nokia’s servers, it’s a safe bet that the update is nigh, though as previous experience has taught us, the update will be staggered.

Thanks, willysocks2222 and Vincent G., for the tips and vinumathew, for the screenshots

Comments

Khoa Lai says:

I flashed mine yesterday, and yes, it has Data Sense.

Aviad Kohn says:

Someone can send me a guide for this??? Please

suryakiranr says:

Flashed my Lumia 920 to Amber. No issues so far. I'm from India BTW

Mark Cesari says:

I bought mine unlocked and unbranded, flashed 1314 unbranded.. but never known why is there a carrier section in the store?

ssapre says:

Because of the sim you have put in. if you remove the sim and then restart your phone, it should not show a carrier in the store. Mine does the same.

Done updating thru Nokia Software Updater..And Data Sense and all other stuff is on board..from Singapore

The update works for some countrys only yet. Most europe. Using NCS 3.0.0 and Product Code 059R0H0 you can get it. Tested and Working! Good Luck!

can someone tell me the steps how can i update my lumia 920 to the so called amber update :( i am a beginer and never tried flashing the device.What software do i need .(os version 8.0.10211.204  , firmaware version 1232.5957.1308.0001) btw its a black unlocked indian lumia 920.

davortsan says:

Sure! If you want to update your Lumia 920, please contact with me. I'm from Spain and my Lumia 920 is Amber now. :)

Ramirowski says:

MP ENVIADO!
PM SENDED!

larspassic says:

Today is Monday. Tomorrow is...

P40L0 says:

...Over The Air

AboveExpert says:

Would it work for the Lumi 822?

Robbie95 says:

Data sense wont work on ee/Orange, what the heck!? Is this because ee/orange want you to go over your allowances so they can charge additional fee's, jerks!

xankazo says:

I'm from the Dominican Republic, but I always use English language in my Lumia 620. Do I have to pick a country in specific or can I grab the update from any country available? I'm waiting to take the plunge.

WP8sNewest says:

What about us 928 users?

benny142 says:

@ Daniel - Any idea, whether 822 will be getting this????? we didnt receive the 1308 update yet.. Also, lot of users outside US are having the sms issue in 822. Hope the GDR2 have a fix for tht...!!

Darren Walsh says:

my operator skipped the 1308 update and went straight to gdr2, so yours might too !!

akashpats says:

waiting for my 720...:)

lucas.scott says:

I just checked NSU - Still only current firmware is available to flash for the 928. I'll keep checking, but will more than likely be to no avail since VZW is the only carrier with this device.

rohanagarwal says:

I just want better battery life on 3g. Cant cry enough over it. All the wireless charging in the world isn't gonna help me when i am not anywhere near any of the chargers, for example in my marathon lectures. Please Microsoft, nokia..improve the battery performance..make my life..!! :'( :P

Clice says:

Data Sense, is that only available to those who are bound to a specific carrier? My phone is not locked to anyone. And I'm sure the carrier I'm using won't alter anything.. So will that give me Data Sense, or will I be losing out?

hombreee says:

Yes, it will give you data sense.

xrs22 says:

No hurry for my 928 through Verizon. Interested in the color enhancements though, dunno if more colors were mentioned. And mine came with DS already.

meathead88 says:

No hurry? You're in the wrong forum ;)

ibuyufo says:

If I download and install the firmware from the polish site will I be able to finally tether with the AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan?

Can any one Share the Amber update in English along with update process ....

Thanks in advance ....

CobraJ82 says:

I recommend people waiting for the official release, we already waited this long time, a week or so won't kill you.

TechFreak1 says:

Its the excitement! its turning them all into zombies hungry for a fix lol.

dimatador says:

man oooh man isnt this guy stupid, this crap is on polish y evern bother posting links to how to do it when we cant evern read the crap.post it in inglish so we can all read it. lame!!!!!

reprod3 says:

I want some Lumia 928 love!

pr0phecy says:

What about unlocked phones? These phones should get the update faster, because no carriers are involved. Right?

Darren Walsh says:

nice little feature added in the wifi settings, you can search for nearby wifi with data sense, it's tied into here maps, pretty sweet!!!

kojakki says:

Unlocked nordic version, flashed via NSU. Amber, data sense, the works. Not worth the hype folks... Camera button can be set to launch Smart Cam or stock cam. No 3rd party app.

rikipy says:

in my product code dont found the GDR2 :(

luumiaaa says:

When will the gdr2 update and the amber update come for the 920,820,.....?

Microsis says:

What's the "Flip to silence" exactly?

When call comes in, flip the phone over to turn off ringer. My hd7 had it and I rarely did it. Pressing volume key is just as easy.

Its better for when you're in a meeting, you face your phone flat and that way your ringer won't go off :P

taymur says:

I dought it works as you described, i think the sensor should change its state during ringing for it to work, if the sensor was detecting an object while ringing it will still ring. at least i would design it that way if it was for me.

mayur89 says:

I hope GDR2 resolves basic things like Lock portrait mode, volumes segregation, Proper multitasking, portrait video play option, copy dialing number... :) Also, some good updates for 7.8 as well :) :)

surag0107 says:

Help me out. Mine is an unlocked Lumia 820. Will I be getting an OTA update as well?

Darren Walsh says:

the vodafone ireland one has been taken off the servers, it's back to the old one again.. odd !!!
EDIT..it's back on for now, it's prob the server being bombarded lol

I haven't seen any comments by those who have downloaded the update regarding Bluetooth 4.0.  Wasn't Bluetooth 4.0 supposed to be included in Amber?

Not totally sure, but I think that's a GDR3 feature. Maybe it'll get here by November.

Is there an update calendar that is followed by Nokia?
I mean... periods of time to make the updates available...
Something like that:
1 - Release update for carriers
2 - 90 days later release updates in Nokia servers
3 - 20 days later release updates OTA for unlocked phones

It's very annoying having an update released and nothing new when u check for updates on the phone.
They always give the same excuses: "It depends on the carrier"
Well and what about unlocked phones? Why we can't check on Nokia servers and get the update too?

MyThIc3LiTe says:

If you install via this route, would you still be able to restore all your existing preferences and what not?

when the final release will be on ota, will i be able to update my lumia 920 to the official firmware. or do i need to reflash my device

EBynum says:

In the article it says GDR2 is OS version 10327, but the screen shot shows the version is 10328. What's the difference?

Fndlumia says:

Hmm the always on capacitive key lights..... Hate it I do fix it they must

madmoondog says:

WAV playback! What a great idea! Oh wait, we had that feature on Windows Phone 7 :/

AskaLangly says:

I'm waiting for 822..

Hoekie says:

Running Lumia 820 with GDR2+Amber update. Flashed via NSU and restore from backup. Almost as easy and fast as via OTA. Very nice and with lots of goodies. Looks like love at first sight for glance and 'double tab to activate' :)

Daylife says:

I wonder how much the glance feature will drain the battery.

CageJ says:

Lumia 820 from T-mobile SK/ CV CZ-SK
Unbranded, updated by NSU.  Data sense and 4G/LTE network support added. All works :).
L520 branded by Orange have not tried yet.

GDR2 firmware update now being pulled out from server....

dineshr1988 says:

Even for me nokia care suite is giving old fw. Means its pulled out from server?

Duduosf says:

Now all the remains is ProCam coming to the rest of the devices (920, 928, 925). Does anyone have any idea when it's coming?

dlnorton2014 says:

I check my Lumia 822 about 7 times per day for updates. I'm a little anxious.

Bicpug says:

This is one of the crap things about windowsphone compared to ios, when apple release a new ios its available to everyone the same day, none of this trickling it out over weeks or even months.

Chris Yahya says:

Be patient bro, there's difference : another windows phones gets ordinary GDR2 update.
But in lumia series, there's special : amber update and GDR2.
So MSFT and nokia must prepare this update first. So thats ehy always late.
#sorry english

JoRdaNeK says:

O2 live tiles for us in UK is awesome!!

GK Wong says:

Available for Malaysia too. Updated mine! Working great! But the glance is kinda useless for TFT

Chris Yahya says:

TFT? Lumia 520?

GK Wong says:

Lumia 920 is running on Super TFT only unlike 925 with AMOLED.

Chris Yahya says:

uuh. Lumia 920 is Super Sensitive IPS touch, not TFT.

GK Wong says:

LOL! dude, go check out what's IPS and TN TFT if you don't know...
You are like telling me a duck egg is not an egg while a chicken egg is an egg, while both are actually egg! HAHAHA

bjd223 says:

Huh? Isn't TN technology pre IPS technology? IPS is based off of TN technology but it is not the same thing. You could have been right in your first comment when you said it was a TFT display but in your second comment you added TN. It is IPS not TN technology.

Chris Yahya says:

Anyone know how to update (no flashing) via PC? in indonesia, wifi area is very rare. Just like nokia suite, can download apps or maps or updates to my old E71. Now i must OTA :( #sorry english

Epic Pie says:

It took me some times and translation to get this update on my Lumia 820... Send me pm which phone you are using and I'll send you instruction on how to so it. P.S I live in Indonesia too

digitaldias says:

We need bluetooth LE. Rest is bubcuss!

Epic Pie says:

Finally, Amber update on my Lumia 820!

foxibs says:

Have You Just updated tour Lumia 820?

Epic Pie says:

It took me some time to download and understand the instructions.

davortsan says:

My Lumia 920 is Amber now :) (Spain)

davortsan says:

No. I downloaded the official Nokia ROM and I installed it. Now, it's working successfully!

WPUser111 says:

Ok great.. Have fun..

Vasili Trach says:

Oh, oh, I am with Amber now;
oh, oh, I am with Amber now (the new Status Quo remix)
used finnish product code 059R0B4 for my Lumia 820)

underrtow says:

Installed @ lumia820, works great. (glance, double tap to wake, radio, datasense, screen profiles)

Mista_Calais says:

HI guys, Can someone please explain to me what each 4 digits in the Firmware Version stand for? I read this once somewhere but I can't remember which represents what :(
I'm checking for new ROMs and I can't firgure out which is the newer one. So confusing  -_-
Thanks in advance guys :)

too late :(
i missed it for both my 920T and my 920 int.

Ramirowski says:

WITH NOKIA AMBER AND GDR2 ALREADY NOKIA LUMIA 920

Anonymous1a says:

I live outside the US and have an unlocked phone. Will I receive the update from settings or never?

I swear I never get it right! I had the GS3 for T-Mobile, and international versions would recieve updates wayyyy before the carrier versions. Then, I get the developer edition Lumia 920, and AT&T gets the updates first. Then I sell that, buy an AT&T variant for half of the money, and now international versions are getting the Amber update first! Oh the injustice!

Seriously though, hopefully AT&T won't be far behind (if they are, I'm going to hate them even more than I do now).

How will the battery life be with a non-AMOLED display and an "always on" clock (I know you can have it turn off when it's in your pocket. I wonder if there will be a signififcant battery drain for the IPS display of the 920. Nobody has seemed to really bring the topic up...

abzopatz says:

someone please answer this question please!!!!!!!!!

Since the 920 doesnt have an amoled display will the always on screen feature work or not? or will it not be there at all ?

i also read that FM radio will not come to 920? why ?

i own a 920... need to know....

alokinalset says:

FM radio is in music+video app, the glance is working even its using IPS, its uses battery but I observed its very minimal, my 920 battery now last longer after my update. You need Lumia Pusher app to update all other thins after installing amber.

FearL0rd says:

I used a lot of different prodcodes and none of them are showing the Amber version.

WP8 is third in the market share holds 5% while microsoft is showing a beta OS version's till now WP8 misses too many featuers but still in compitition , 2014 is a promising year for microsoft #with WP8.1_BLEU update

I have the 2012 Build Conference Lumia 920. I presume this early update would be applicable?

Still no update that allows you to dissable screen rotation??

Ivan Hristov says:

My Lumia 820 isn't bought from carrier so will the update even show in settings-> phone update or I have to do it manually. I'm checking "phone update" almost every day but ... nothing :/

Arun Chauhan says:

Amber update Officialy available for Lumia 920 in India. :)

Pages