Legal Drama!

Samsung incurs the wrath of Microsoft

Samsung releases ATIV BizCard scanning app for Windows Phone

Armed robbers raid Brazilian Samsung factory for 40,000 devices

Samsung, Intel and Dell create a consortium for connected devices

Samsung's bringing HDR, Smooth and Slow video to their Windows Phone 8.1 app

EU and South Korea working together to develop 5G networks

Supposed Lumia Cyan update schedule leaks for Benelux region

Intel and Samsung teaming up for lower-cost 4K monitors

Microsoft pokes fun at Samsung's Heathrow advertising, fails to book flight to the Galaxy

From the Forums

Are you on T-Mobile US and want a Nokia Lumia 1520? You have options

Five Samsung Mobile US execs leave company, reports CNET

Samsung research could put graphene into your future thin, light, even bendy phone

Samsung ATIV SE official, now up for pre-order at Verizon

Software

Sprint confirms Windows Phone 8.1 update for HTC 8XT and Samsung ATIV S Neo this summer

Samsung ATIV SE coming later this month with a 5-inch display, without Windows Phone 8.1

Samsung invents new Surface accessory in latest attack ad

Samsung ATIV SE image leaked, Windows Phone 8.1 device destined for Verizon

Windows Phones

Deal alert: Samsung ATIV S Neo (Sprint) for $39 with contract at Amazon

Windows Phone market share surpasses BlackBerry in the U.S.

Samsung and Google fear higher patent fees; raise concerns with Chinese courts about Microsoft's Nokia purchase

< >

Unlocked Samsung ATIV S now receiving Window Phone 8 GDR2 OS update

ATIV S over the air OS update

It was just yesterday that people in Canada on Bell, Telus or Rogers who also owned the under-rated (and underappreciated) Samsung ATIV S were greeted with a double OS and firmware update, bringing their phones up to the coveted GDR2 status (OS build 10327).

Of course it was later revealed that some features like FM Radio (which may not be supported by the hardware) and the ability to set a pre-defined camera app were missing. Still, the additional bug fixes in GDR2 are nothing to shy away from, including the reduction in the size of Other Storage or the .WAV file support in email.

Today, it looks like those with unlocked and international ATIV S devices, which includes ourselves, are ready to get the update. By heading to your Settings > Phone Update > Check for updates, you can begin to download the OS and new firmware. You will need to be on Wi-Fi to do so and the process to download and prepare will take 5-10 minutes. Then it could take another 20 minutes or so to install the update, depending on how many apps, games and contacts you have installed.

We’re curious as to what this update brings and if it is any different than what those in Canada have received. We’ll follow up as soon as our update process is complete. We only have 871MB free on the device with 5.71GB being devoted to, you guessed it, Other storage. How much will we gain back? Stay tuned.

Update: Our Other Storage has now dropped from 5.71GB to a more reasonable 2.3GB post-update.

Thanks, Tumultus, for the heads up

Comments

moc426 says:

Att late to the party!

Does Samsung makes windows phones ? Interesting lol hope they don't look and feel like the galaxy s line .

ivo_apo says:

Funny enough they do. And Yes, ATIV is still the best most balanced WP device on the market. Think of a better 925. Full stop.

Wow, maybe I should stop by sprint and look at one then

Well atleast 925 has bt 4 and fm radio and 4g/lte. Dont know where you are getting your info but 925 is much more better

peterfares says:

Nothing uses BT4
Why would you want to listen to staticy radio? When I had my DVP I used the radio just a few times
The ATIV S has an LTE capable model (Canadian version). The Sprint ATIV S Neo is also LTE capable.

16GB built in storage, large 4.7" screen, LARGE+REMOVABLE battery, and ONLY FLAGSHIP with an SD SLOT (no other 1280x720/768 WP has an SD slot).
I was one was AT&T LTE capable because it would be my primary phone, 95% because of the screen and battery size. Alas the Canadian model doesn't support the LTE band that AT&T uses for 90% of its LTE network.

Jack Larson1 says:

1. If you drop it, will it crack the cement?
2. Can it get run over multiple times and remain functional?

topleya says:

Ativ S looks similar to the S3 but less curvy.

Feels hugely more premium and looks massively better.

Screen and camera are superb, battery is unreal and reliable as the sun rising everyday

peterfares says:

ATIV S looks like a 4.7" version of the Galaxy Note 2. I own both phones, they have the same exact texture on the front.

the92playboy says:

I have a 920, my wife uses my Ativ S as we gave her 920 to my mom. Hardware wise, I would give a slight edge to the Ativ S, but Nokia has been so supportive of Windows Phone that I absolutely must continue to support them. But the Ativ S is an awesome device, I wish I could steal back it from my wife and jump between the 2 as I see fit.

No FM radio is disappointing but no Data Sense either.....no Camera lenses default feature.....lets look forward to GDR 3 :-(

migueli2 says:

I do have data sense, sorry.

tarkismyname says:

I do not have data sense what so ever, but I couldn't understand why mixed results( some has and some don't). an unlocked Ativ owner.

You may have to reset your device in order to enable Data Sense.

neo158 says:

FM Radio isn't there but Data Sense is for me, due to a bug in the update you have to do a factory reset to get it to show up though :)

chad08er says:

Would love to have FM Radio,use to lay in bed with my headphones and listen to the ball game, can't do that anymore with the Ativ S.Guess I will wait for the Ativ S 2 to in joy listening to sports again.

neo158 says:

Ah, well I have a Zune HD that I use for FM Radio if I want to use it so, for me at least, I don't miss it :)

chad08er says:

Microsoft needs to get back into the MP3 player market.My Zune player went out a few years ago,and the last thing I want to do is put money in Apple or Google's pocket for a new one.

migueli2 says:

Got mine few hours ago. All went good.

Daniel, pretty sure the lack of FM Radio is due to the absence of the WCN3660 chip (which the Lumia 920 has). Pretty sure that's tue reason why the ATIV S hasn't received Bluetooth 4.0 certification. Likely that the ATIV S will never see FM radio.

theefman says:

Samsung's decision, so it's on them.

Yup, but if the ATIV S doesn't have the WCN3660 chip that the S4 (MSM8960) uses for BT4.0/FM Radio then it should be put in the articles so the comments aren't flooded with "Still no FM Radio with the update" comments.

theefman says:

Going to be fun to read all the whining about att being late, sucking, etc. :)

paulxxwall says:

Well then here we go. att sucks there late im getting so bored hearing how this carrier and that carrier has gdr2 ready for update and att ....nothing. my next phone will definitely not be on a carrier I still feel it should be rolled out all at the same time I just don't get it how some are first and it seems like att will be last. only year and a half left on att contract ....cant wait

Nokia the best ( amber + GDR2 ) ;-)

Daniel...is it confirmed that Ativ S won't be able to Support FM Radio?...i mean not even via a Firmware Update, is there some chip really missing?

MyThIc3LiTe says:

Yes, the ATIV S lacks HARDWARE.
People need to stop crapping on MS about this one, not their fault Samsung advertised falsely and failed to mention that their chip wouldn't support anything.

andrijankara says:

When will nokia relase amber? I want MS to give devs better access to call API so we could have propper dialer with tile count working, also why we dont have heptic feedback when typing keyboard is great but I like feeling some vibe

Fndlumia says:

I recently stated that gdr2 and amber will take a long time, I stated maybe Sep or Oct and received backlash saying it will be available in June, July the latest.... Still waiting and not expecting it till Xmas

iamoniwaban says:

I am not upstanding why this update forces one to reset to unlock the new features and settings. I updated yesterday, and nothing. But sorry, wrong topic this is for unlocked, I was just wondering. .

neo158 says:

It's a issue in the update that wasn't corrected before release. It's not a problem if you back up the app list and settings though ;)

MyThIc3LiTe says:

Why are Rogers/Nokia being so slow with letting out the update for the 920?

paulxxwall says:

I though I read Rogers gettin gdr2 update yesterday?

I'm on Rogers, no update yet. The forum thread that said they had was started by someone with like 1 post and no screenshots to verify.

Because they are rolling out Amber (which includes GDR2), not just plain GDR2

MyThIc3LiTe says:

920s elsewhere are getting it, so its typical Rogers laziness.

Possibly, but which 920's are getting it? Haven't seen any confirmed reports that the 920 has received it OTA from any carriers yet, just those that manually flashed it through the care suite.

Hi Daniel. Did Data Sense appear right away, or did you have to reset your device to enable it? It seems to be a common glitch with this update.

Quis0822 says:

I have the Lumia 925 just got it yesterday from t mobile and it came out the box with the amber update and GDR2 I have data sense Nokia display touch controls and stuff

aafa says:

i've got the update on my unlocked bell ATIV S...before the GDR2, i had 6.7 GB devoted to the Other Storage...it's been 2 days, it's at 6.71 GB.

not looking good!

Have you done a hard reset yet? Seems that GDR2 doesn't quite kick in fully until one is done (no data sense and other storage still inflating)

jlynnm350z says:

I think Samsung has the "Potato" chip, wich is incapable of receiving or admitting radio waves. Hence the absence of fm radio.

Clive Rennie says:

Im in the us on i8750 havent seen any update yet any suggestions

DaBlackGod says:

How is Samsung getting this before the Lumia 920, Nokia is loosing me

Loco5150 says:

Because crappy samsung isnt giving us any new features, mainly bug fixes.

DaBlackGod says:

I don't think me and the 70milllion others think Samsung makes crap, but the fact that no matter what OS Samsung is giving feedback and looking out for they customers and pushing out updates I have a Motorola that just got the jelly bean update and it's been 3yrs I will never buy Motorola again

genuinefrand says:

Not yet GDR2 for me.

Unlocked Ativ s from France

eXus#WP says:

Hi fellow, greetings from Lyon ;-)
No update on my side either (got it from Expansys UK).

Gilceleb says:

Hi guys, I'm from Rambouillet near Versailles but living at Reunion island. Samsung ATIV S from discount and no update.

clappenings says:

AAAAAAAGGHGGHHHHHH

Loco5150 says:

No update in Finland

Risvall says:

No update in Sweden

DrewLumia900 says:

Got the update today on a locked to TELUS Samsung ATIV S

raul_junior says:

So how much of the "other" space did it delete

No change on mine, still around 8 GB. Except for battery life nothing has changed.

8 gigs of other storage?????
thats just bokers

raul_junior says:

I have ten but I have a Lumia 920

Decan says:

Australia - Still no update, checked about 4 times still nothing.

Did a phone reboot and checked again... still nothing :(

Fndlumia says:

Are u with Telstra? They have only just started testing so I think it will come about a month after att USA gets it, if unlocked it could come anytime. Better that we wait for bugs to be fixed than get it early and have our 920s bricked ala HTC

WP7Nettwerk says:

I have installed update on samsung Ativ S unbranded UK, but no Data sense and Other shows me used 1.62Gb. What features is in new update.

WP7Nettwerk says:

neo158 says:

Factory Reset your device and Data Sense will show up :)

Andrei Rinea says:

How is this done?

neo158 says:

Settings>about>reset your phone

Make sure you backup the apps list and settings first though:

Settings>backup

neo158 says:

Doesn't bother me about no FM Radio, I use TuneIn Radio anyway which allows me to erm... Tune in to radio stations around the world.

Josh Harman says:

Ever been out of cell range?

neo158 says:

No, but I have a Zune HD as well so it really doesn't bother me ;)

I only used FM Radio once on my HD7 and once on my Zune HD so I don't miss it, Internet Radio ftw!!!!

Igor P says:

updated in Latvia. Nothing new

Samsung should do what apple did when they released the iPhone 4 with bad antenna.

Dragone says:

Updating now. :)

anglirich says:

Got update a-ok inNorth Carolina!

mms-pc says:

Damn, still no update in Taiwan.

Idzaudin Idz says:

If i install the update via ota.. All data will not be removed right?

rohitmarines says:

No Amber update for me. I have lumia 820 , INDIA

WPUser111 says:

I asked nokia india head of market service. He said by next week.

passit z says:

Updated on my Telus Ativ S, reduced other data from 2.67 to 1.56. No data sense yet

bullmoose20 says:

Do a factory reset and Data Sense will show up.

peterfares says:

Man Microsoft, the OEMs, and the carriers are really botching up WP8.
I wish someone would discover an exploit to give us full access to our devices. All we really need to do is change a couple registry entries to enable Data Sense for EVERYONE and gives us the ability to just clean out the temp files ourselves. Oh and unrestrict tethering from the greedy carriers like AT&T which want out on very expensive plans to tether.

RMNG says:

I've got unlocked Ativ S in Bulgaria. I've already updated my phone, but I haven't got FM radio or DATA SENSE yet. Is that true, that after reseting Data sense will show up?

rmorgan999 says:

Got an unlocked ATIV S in the UK and got the update, did need to do a phone reset to det data sense. No FM radio hardware in this model I don't think.

Kopacha says:

carrier free ATIV S here, again in Bulgaria - just recieved and updated the phone. Still other storage is the same as it was before the update - 2.58 GB
And ofcourse no FM radio. I'm seriosly getting pissed at Samsung for all their conundrums, and perhaps it's time to finally return to the herd (NOKIA) after so many years of being away.

RMNG says:

Did you try to reset(about Data sense)?

Kopacha says:

I don't want to reset the phone, i'll have to reinstall all the things again, setting up different things again. So no, i think they should do and find a proper way. Getting tired of Samsung's nonsenes ...

RMNG says:

Me too...and not only because of Samsung's, but and Microsoft's ...

Kopacha says:

Nope, don't have a problem with the latter. Just Samsung and their traditional pos software lineup (goes for all their products, even from the first Symbian based Omnia, to Galaxies and such). So, definetly jumping back with Nokia at the first possible moment.

RMNG says:

Agreed! If you want Win phone, it should be Nokia!

Rick Smits says:

Backup using SkyDrive

RMNG says:

And after that...reset?

elangab says:

Did any of you got the international support for podcasts ? I thought it was part of GDR2....
The update went fine, but I still can't browse podcasts...

Cabooservb says:

Samsung ATIVS on Orange UK.
I received 2 updates this morning:

Microsoft Update 8.0.1.0322.71
Microsoft Update 8.0.10327.77

* Other storage at 3.75GB, not sure what it was before.
I ran clean storage and it did not free any more 'other storage'

Data Sense is not on the phone :-(

Andrei Rinea says:

Updated, the very same.
Romania / Orange

nsa74 says:

Did you get the update today? I just checked and nothing yet. (Romania - Orange)

Andrei Rinea says:

Yep, I did, but by this I mean I activated Wi-Fi, and then went to Settings -> Update -> Check for updates. It was an active check not a background check.
The downloading took about 7-8 minutes (wifi was slow as shit BTW), another 4-6 minutes preparing the installation and finally the rebooting and effectively installing took 8-10 minutes.
I don't think it's related to the carrier (Orange Romania in my case), but rather related to the fact that the phone is unlocked (not "blocat in retea" as we say).

nsa74 says:

I did the same thing, active checking but stiil nothing. I guess it will show up in the next few days. Mine is unlocked too, since no carrier sells Ativ S in Romania (many of the sellers don't even know about it )
Good to know that someone here received the update, it''s probably rolling out based on IMEI or something. Too bad I just did a factory reset this morning due to "other" storage issues.

I had to reset my phone to get data sense. I'm on VF in the UK.

uopjo6 says:

2GB sounds about right for Other Storage. I know other platforms have "Other" storage too and if I remember correctly it is around 2GB as well.
Anything above 4-5GB is unacceptable and hopefully like the article says it will drop.

lubbalots says:

What's todays date? The 7th of August and GDR3 is almost yet we don't even GDR2. WTF ATT!!!!!!!

lubbalots says:

What's todays date? The 7th of August and GDR3 is just a couple months away and yet we don't even GDR2. WTF ATT!!!!!!! Transparency, transparency!!!!!

Josh Harman says:

Transparency? Can you name the update after next for iPhone or Android? How about an estimated release time?
No one is more transparent about their update schedule, that's why WP fanatics get all hot & bothered, because they know its coming.
Have some patience, updates arrive when they arrive. I would not expect GDR3 before the end of November.

druger81 says:

Will this phone work on Verizon?

Ethanacho says:

OK now where is it for Lumia 928?

RMNG says:

Guys,
After last update I've done reset and I've already got Data sense!
First, back up your staff to sky drive and won't lose anything!
No radio!!! Maybe it really isn't supported by our Ativ's!

SRodriguez_7 says:

when is GDR2 coming out for L620 ???????????????????????????????????????

Madders76 says:

So I updated my phone a couple of days ago (unlocked on GiffGaff in the UK.) Didn't do a factory reset and this morning the wifi/3G weren't working (even though it was showing signal for both). So I did a factory reset (my phone was last backed up on Tuesday) which seems to have cured the issue.
However, can someone tell me how I select a backup to download if I can't sign into my account before connecting to my wifi? It doesn't give me a prompt to download a backup when I skip the initial sign in screen, set up the wifi, then go to accounts to sign in with my microsoft account?
When I attempt to sign in at the initial welcome screen, it doesn't detect a signal so can't sign in.
Any help would be appreciated as I'm getting pretty hacked off with it!
Thanks

PSP007 says:

After the update, battery level  indicator  froze at 100% all day. I had to reset the phone to go back to normal and indicates the real. Update with bugs?

sumit rawal says:

Hi,

I have installed the update,but i am not able to see call+sms filter in extras+info.can anybody help me in this.
Thanks in Advance.

PSP007 says:

"call + sms filter" is for Nokia, which until now did`'t have this feature. Ativ S has the function "call blocking".

RepoUK says:

Unlocked ATIV-S on O2.  Got the GDR2 update a few days ago but no Data Sense.  Just done the reset and Data Sense is now there.  Seems to be working OK.

I have a Unlocked Samsung ATIV S.... updated to GDR 2 ... no features whats so ever they are talking.. ive got no Radio..... No Data Sense.... no other storage issue resolved.... not even my OS Firmware changed (8.0.10211.204) .. please help..

NikosNx says:

I have an unlocked Ativ S (no carrier) and there is no update available yet. How many days it can take for gdr2 to come to my device?

X54TH says:

Just a heads up...updated my Samsung ATIV S with GDR2 through Bell. Update requires to reset the phone for features to appear. Once completed I had issues with the Bluetooth in my vehicle and tried to downgrade the update but no luck. At first I thought it was an issue with the phone's BT. Luckly I had a second (spare) Samsung ATIV S with orginal OS. Phone worked great so I decided to update the Phone to GDR2 thinking the BT was faulty in the first phone and once again the BT connection "failed". Now I was faced with 2 phones with the same BT issue (not holding the connection). I went to the New walk-in Samsung Service Center in Mississauga (apparently the only ones capable of restoring to factory settings). Within an hour the phones were restored back to their orginal / factory settings and both phones now connect with the BT in my car. BTW, my vehicle is 1 year old. I spoke to the guys at Bell and they will look into the issue. It's definitely a Microsoft problem.

Paholainen says:

Still no update (unlocked ativ S) Seriously considering changing to Andriod now. Also the big 8.1 update is too far away, should have launched long time ago. Too bad cause I like the wp8

Jack Larson1 says:

Never go full android.

tinwistle says:

I updated my Telus Ativ-S originally like others I had no DataSense.
Reset will get DataSense to work.
I understand the reason it will never have fm radio and the rest all seemed to work the same.

HOWEVER!!!!!

My phone previous to the update had 2 volume settings one for the ringer / notifications from 0-10 and one for everything else (music, video, YouTube......) 0-30

Now for whatever reason the 0-10 control is gone and the phone rings off of the 0-30 control.

WTF??? is that all about?