Legal Drama!

Samsung incurs the wrath of Microsoft

Samsung releases ATIV BizCard scanning app for Windows Phone

Armed robbers raid Brazilian Samsung factory for 40,000 devices

Samsung, Intel and Dell create a consortium for connected devices

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 shipment news from Poland, Germany and Switzerland

Samsung's bringing HDR, Smooth and Slow video to their Windows Phone 8.1 app

EU and South Korea working together to develop 5G networks

Intel and Samsung teaming up for lower-cost 4K monitors

Microsoft pokes fun at Samsung's Heathrow advertising, fails to book flight to the Galaxy

Lumia 630 available for pre-order in Poland, ships next week

Five Samsung Mobile US execs leave company, reports CNET

Samsung research could put graphene into your future thin, light, even bendy phone

Samsung ATIV SE official, now up for pre-order at Verizon

Software

Sprint confirms Windows Phone 8.1 update for HTC 8XT and Samsung ATIV S Neo this summer

Samsung ATIV SE coming later this month with a 5-inch display, without Windows Phone 8.1

Samsung invents new Surface accessory in latest attack ad

Samsung ATIV SE image leaked, Windows Phone 8.1 device destined for Verizon

Windows Phones

Deal alert: Samsung ATIV S Neo (Sprint) for $39 with contract at Amazon

Windows Phone market share surpasses BlackBerry in the U.S.

Samsung and Google fear higher patent fees; raise concerns with Chinese courts about Microsoft's Nokia purchase

Samsung ATIV S reportedly headed to Poland for September, one year after initial announcement

It looks like those in Poland will be getting a new Windows Phone to choose from come September as evidently the ATIV S from Samsung is headed to market. The phone, like the Sprint ATIV S Neo, is expected to be a minor refresh, possibly sporting a new chipset to support FM radio, Bluetooth 4.0 and OS build 10327 (GDR2).

The news comes via Samsung’s own Twitter account for the Polish market (Samsung Polska) and while pricing was not given, nor any updated specifications (if any), the time-frame of September 20th and the ATIV S model name was.

Interestingly, the ATIV S from Samsung was announced nearly one year ago in Berlin at the IFA and it is the only flagship level Windows Phone from the company since that time. It seems clear that Samsung will continue to limp along with the same model with minor hardware revisions for the foreseeable future. Certainly, that is the least that Samsung could do to keep its foot in the door with Windows Phone, possibly under contractual agreements with Microsoft, and it demonstrates that the company is not willing to invest more R&D into newer devices.

The flipside to that negative assessment though is that the fact that the ATIV S is an impressive offering both in terms of design and features. It is one of the few conservative-looking Windows Phone 8 devices available and with expandable storage, a removable battery and a large 4.8-inch Super AMOLED display all wrapped in a light, thin body, it is quite the workhorse. In fact, there’s little not to like about the ATIV S except for the fact it does not have the Nokia Collection.

Having said that, it may be a little hard to get consumers excited for a device announced globally one year ago (ironically, Samsung was late to market with the device too, offsetting actual market availability).

Speaking of the Sprint ATIV S Neo, that device is expected to go on sale in just over a week on August 16th, though that date, pricing and final specs have not yet been confirmed.

Source: Twitter; via Windows-Phone.pl (translation); Thanks, Łukasz P., for the tip!

Comments

inteller says:

Samsung loves to publicize how intentionally badly they borked this product launch.

goldenpipes says:

Lol yeah. Ant its still not on any US carrier.

qhendricks says:

The time is drawing close for Sprint to finally announce the official date and specs on the Neo. Tick-tock, Sprint. We're close to the 16th.

RyanAMG says:

Lets not rush into this Samsung.

They are moving way too quickly with this next-Gen S3 variant

Psyk00 says:

Yay, I'm from Poland!... wait, I bought Lumia 920 couple months ago. When you go with WP8, you go with Nokia.

Cube189 says:

Dokładnie to, o czym pomyślałem! ;)

SharpFranz says:

Yep!
Apple == iOS
Nokia == WP
Shaisung == Spydroid

I took a HTC One with new fluid non stutter Spydroid... But of course I still use my Ativ S, I love its best spell checking and best email on any smartphone, that is a WP8 strength!

WavingReds says:

Why even bother when Nokia will probably be annoucing more products in their Nokia world >.>

Take your time and leisure Samsung, would you like to add another zero next to the 1 maybe??? :D

PolishHitta says:

That's fine. I'm currently in Poland right now for vacation and I'm noticing everyone has a Nokia Lumia anyways.. Samsung, you will not be missed here.

Artur4Life says:

Windows Phone has more than 20% smartphone market share in Poland :-)

PolishHitta says:

It has to be more by now. I'd be sitting and I would always hear familiar phone sounds around me. 1/3 of friends here own a WP device. The funny part is that most own a WP7.5

SharpFranz says:

Wow! "The rise of Nokia 520" is very impressive!

Pewek says:

Yup, i agree with you. Wait for next episode of this news which will be probably in next week.

2007H3 says:

would love to see a pic of a Polish cafe where 20% of the patrons are on their Windows phone.

Please post all polish jokes as a reply here

walter1832 says:

You'd have to be a Pole (but it sounds funnier with the other word) to buy a Samsung Ativ S! :P

The Ativ S is really cheap now over here in the Netherlands, €235 off contract. It might not have the Nokia apps, but at that price it's still a great phone.

Well, Samsung seems to be ramping up support as of late. A bunch of new apps, and now more availability for the Ativ S. I'm sure they're (impatiently) waiting to push out a 5"+ 1080p WP8 device at the end of the year. If it has US availability, (and they advertise it a small fraction as much as they do their Galaxy line,) Windows Phone would grow insanely. Galaxy or Ativ S? Samsung sells more devices regardless of OS, so they shouldn't care. Might as well try to beat Nokia in the WP8 game too, only furthering WP in the process.

chad08er says:

That's what I'm waiting for,will not buy another phone until GRD3 update or 8.1

sasukeluffy says:

Hope it's as cheap in Poland ad it is here in Finland, it's cheapest about 250€ :D

All in all, it's still a great phone at a (actually) good price. I need Nokia Drive so I went Lumia, but it is a rather good device, imo.

SharpFranz says:

Samsung is just showing how much it cares about polish customers. I think they should pay off with not buying phone from this spydroid reseller.
In Poland we say "szajsung" which is similar to german Scheißung :-) (and doesnt sound so well in english when you say shitsung). For me it will stay like that for a LONG time.
Cheers!

BK-one says:

Isn't the population count of Poland somewhere around 35-40 million? Not trying to say they are not relevant but my guess would be for Samsung to go after the big markets first and trickle down to the smaller countries. I'm sure there is plenty of technology that other countries.get to enjoy way before the US. Bullet trains is one I can think of right off bat.

mv740 says:

Canada,less population than poland but we got it first lol samsung = fuck logic, they just want to sell their s3/s4

Pewek says:

So tell me why Samsung could relase older models of Windows Phone handsets but Ativ S not?

Etios says:

LOL at population logic, Samsung didnt release it in India,china, USA too. It is very clear now that they are purposefully botching this up so that there is less competetion for their upcoming Tizen.

Psyk00 says:

Samsung? My worst devices - an ultrabook with poorly backlit screen, 2012 LED TV with quite annoying banding, which for Samsung is a normal behavior of edgelit LED's. Their offer is cheape, but lacks in terms of quality. A lot. Will never buy stuff from those Korean frauds again. Amen.

SharpFranz says:

Good man ;-)
I can say exactly same about my past with Samsung. But the most important is that this company has NO HEART or SOUL. They just produce device while others like Nokia or Apple they play with the whole process of analysis, design, marketing etc. They deal with every surface of their devices while Shitsung puts more cores, memory and inches into their new devices.
I wish that the Galaxy brand belonged to Sony - that is another company with great history, great desgin and the soul!

Psyk00 says:

Sony has quality stuff - PlayStation brand, Bravia, audio and so on. It's a shame that Samsung's rough price policy is pushing the Japan's finest in electronics to some real trouble. Unfortunately people mainly care about the price, not the quality.

Chemilinski says:

So when I'm moving there, it'll be the choice of getting a Lumia 720 on PLAY or wait for this...
Will it be on all the major providers?

JoRdaNeK says:

Bardzo dobre!! Najlepsa kurwa swiniadze!! :D

sip1995 says:

We already have it in Greece..lol

swizzlerz says:

Good phone. I like mine

eddieDOTexe says:

Samsung went from being the goto for WP (with the Focus, and long anticipated Focus 2) to being the least relevant OEM in a flash

Hmmm... So the Poles get the first MK4 Ativ S... Hopefully at a good price!

Pewek says:

20.08 isn't a september. In september this device will be in markets but Samsung will show new Ativ S on 20 August.

ruddevil says:

They are simply offloading their already small quantity of produced Ativ S. Ativ X may well be around the corner but we all know they are going to produce it in limited quantities, just to comply with whatever licensing agreement they have with MS. We all know they are going to steal the thunder from Nokia by launching a GDR3 device first and then market it a year later when GDR5 is 6 months old. Typical Samsung.

peterfares says:

Hah all the Samsung hate is funny. I wish the ATIV S was ATT LTE capable. I'd own and use it as my primary phone.
Instead the biggest one I can get is the small 4.5" 920 (with huge bezels big enough for a 4.8" screen) so I don't use it as my primary and instead use my Galaxy Note 2.

ivo_apo says:

Agree. ATIV S is by far the best balanced WP on the market. Hope Nokia will catch up soon. Not sure about negative comments. You can pick up sim free ATIV for aprox £200. 925 (best Lumia phone) is selling for more than £450. Really, that's no brainer.

the sgh-t899m is the only one bigger than the odyssey & this model supports lte.
I find nokia's screen resolution to be a deal breaker the 1020 is a prime example of stupidity & the other low end nokia's with their 480p resolution included