Bing Apps for Windows Phone

Microsoft announces Bing Apps for Windows Phone 8, bringing News, Weather, Sports and Finance to the small screen [Updated]

Update: As of 7PM ET, all links are now working. Please try now to download the new Bing suite for Windows Phone 8. It's not restricted to the US.

Today, Microsoft has pulled the sheets off of a new suite of apps based around the Bing search engine. Simply called Bing Apps, the collection of four apps includes Sports, News, Weather and Finance, including Live Tile support for Windows Phone 8 devices.

Based off of the same suite of apps for its Windows 8 OS, the new applications bring all of the latest news right to the Start screen, continuing the “glance and go” usability that Windows Phone users have become accustomed to. Indeed, this is the first time we’ve seen some real parallels between the desktop and mobile OS drawn and it should make using the two systems more seamless than before for new customers.

Watch our first-look video of the new apps in action and enjoy the gallery of screenshots after the break.

Video Tour: Bing News, Weather, Finance and Sports

Bing News

Bing News

“Want to keep tabs on what’s happening in the world? The Bing News app for Windows Phone has you covered. With the new app, you have one comprehensive experience to keep tabs on the latest headlines and videos of breaking news.  And the app is customizable so you can track specific story categories, topics, or news sources that matter to you.  You can even rearrange the headline clusters so that the news that matters most to you is at the top.”

The Bing News app is a straight port of the Windows 8 client and is well optimized for Windows Phone. Users can adjust the font size to their liking, enable the Live Tile, and restrict background data usage to only Wi-Fi. Wide tiles support is included with HD level graphics for images.

The app is relatively fast and fluid to use (data can take a moment to download) and with optional Breaking News alerts, users can stay abreast of all the latest happenings. The app lacks any lockscreen support or the ability to share an article, which is something Microsoft will hopefully build upon in later releases.

Download Bing News for Windows Phone 8 here in the Store.

QR: Bing News

Bing Finance

Bing Finance

“Keep tabs on your portfolio and gauge performance of your stocks at a glance with the Bing Finance app which include financial news, market info, watchlists, timely US stock updates and customizable interactive charts.”

Like Bing News, Bing Finance acts as market hub on your Windows Phone. The Live Tile (wide supported) shows the latest DOW and NASDAQ numbers (one on each side) with a graph and numbers for a quick view.  Users can customize the Watchlist with specific companies and the News section is similar to the Bing News app with font control.

Download Bing Finance for Windows Phone 8 here in the Store.

QR: Bing Finance

Bing Weather

Bing Weather

“Want to know to know whether you need to grab an umbrella? Now you can stay a step ahead of the weather with an overview of conditions including temperature, precipitation and wind.”

Everyone loves weather apps and Bing Weather is a solid port of their desktop version. The app features a live tile (sadly, not wide) with the latest temperature, current conditions and the day’s high and low. Launching the app will show more in-depth information like “feels like” temperature, humidity levels, wind and more. Swiping to the right reveals daily, hourly and a collection of weather maps, including Temperature, Doppler, Precipitation and cloud cover, optimized for regional and national views.

The app is well designed and while it can’t compete against the more full-featured pay apps on Windows Phone, it’s a really well done weather client. Once again, no lockscreen support in v1.0 is a bit of a letdown but we imagine such a feature could come in later updates.

Download Bing Weather for Windows Phone 8 here in the Store.

QR: Bing Weather

Bing Sports

Bing Sports

“The Bing Sports app is your personal sports companion letting you stay on top of the sports and teams that you care about.  You can swipe through to see the recent scores, top sports headlines, game videos, photos, schedules, standings, extensive statistics and much more across most major sports.”

Like Bing News and Finance, Bing Sports brings you all the latest in world competitions. From the scoreboard (currently MLB in the US) to News to slideshow to videos, the app is sure to keep the sports enthusiast busy. Like Bing Finance, you can add your favorite franchises to the ‘my teams’ pivot to easily track their latest happenings.

Download Bing Sports for Windows Phone 8 here in the Store.

QR: Bing Sports

Quick thoughts

Bing Weather

Overall, Microsoft has done an admirable job with these well-polished apps. They serve as a reminder to consumers of the similarities between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 and represent a sign of things to come as those two operating systems begin to merge in 2014.

We can envisage many of these apps coming pre-installed on forthcoming Windows Phones and it should provide a great out-of-the-box experience for new customers who want core apps at their fingertips.

When to get them?

Bing Apps are now available with their respective links and QR codes listed above. Note: these apps are very "fresh" to the Store, so if it says "Not available" for your device, try again in a little while until it hits all servers.

More information can be found on the Bing Blog.

Comments

Derek Moss says:

I have WindowsRt and phone and really didnt realize i was missing these apps till this came up lol. Nice to have on the phone, just never realized I even wanted them lol.

Tafsern says:

Bing Weather is predicting the wrong weather...at least here in Norway.

Roland Dombi says:

Can we know that how often does weather syncronise? Can't find the option to manually set it.

swizzlerz says:

To bad no cflin sports teams :(

bonjoo says:

Say Goodbye to AccuWeather :)

therealprof says:

Ad-supported weather, Boo!

Excellent local selection for Australia.

GSzah says:

No wide tile for weather, at least.. :/

amcalexandre says:

Windows 7.8 :'(

rohanagarwal says:

I absolutely love the bing news app. However, there's a big flaw. I was viewing engadget articles, and it showed just a few lines from the article, followed by "read more". And i couldn't click on read more, or any link that could take me to the original article. At least i couldn't find any way to do that. Also, some news sources are websites that fire up once you click on the headline. I'd live for it to load in the app itself rather than take me to my browser and then load it. Apart from that, its absolute gold. :)

rohitsingh says:

Me likey. The finance app beats the rat's ass out of Bloomberg. The live tiles work great. That was my greatest complain with Bloomberg. Plus it neat and simple. Easily one of my favorite apps. The others are equally good. Now if only Microsoft could bring wide tiles and lock screen support in the next update.

Stravincy says:

Just downloaded it here in The Netherlands. Lumia 620.
I don't get all the fuss by the way. These apps look mediocre. I uninstalled Bing News right away when I noticed it just links you to websites.
And the Bing Weather seems ok, but it lacks a wide tile and lockscreen options. Besides that, it kinda looks dull.

aerosmillie says:

Very, VERY nice! Few bits missing (no International team option in sport) but hopefully available later when updated.

Installed all of them and uninstalled all previous weather and info apps. Great work m$!

mtiede says:

Is the weather live tile live? Mine didn't update until I opened the app.

Stravincy says:

Yes it is. I'm testing it right now and I've seen it update two times already without me opening the app.

brianlg says:

These are beautiful

davortsan says:

I downloaded Bing News and I checked the default sources were from USA. I changed them to Spain sources and I selected my favourites. If I refresh the main page of Bing News, the same news are showed!! I think these news are a wallpaper... lol
Seriously, I can't show the news of the selected sources... any idea, please?

blegs38552 says:

Pretty nice, overall. Would be nice if the Weather tile would display the weather map as well as the current conditions as the Weather Channel live tile does. On the other hand, the Bing Weather allows the user to see local conditions (wherever you are, not just at a preset location)  without having to change the location, unlike the Weather Channel app.
Other apps look good too. Especially like the Finance live tile - indexes at a glance. I suppose that these are delayed but that's par for the course.
Sports needs to add Tennis to My Sports, especially with the US Open coming up.

bonjoo says:

The Weather app is a disaster. Not updating the live tile at all...

AriesDog says:

We have a new champion weather app!

diapers says:

Your version of the Windows Phone software is not supported by this application."
what does that mean? I have a lumia 920 os version: 8.0.10211.204

SocalTouch says:

As much as it hurts me to say - AccuWeather is still better. Bing Weather gets the weather from AccuWeather (which is great because it is the most reliable and up to date weather for most of USA) but the BingWeather live tile does not refresh fast enough. Even after you open the BingWeather app to see the latest data, when you close the app, the live tile still shows old data :-(
For now, AccuWeather wins.

These are very sweet indeed!

bramstone123 says:

Is anyone have problems getting rid of the American news? I have added all uk sources but i keep getting US stories and feeds...i change from US to UK but still pictures and main news from America...please help.

CDiS99 says:

Friggin. Sweet. Man.

t8ntlikly says:

This isn't what it should be at all....
News: very limited selection and no way to add my own sources.
Weather: Ok.
Sports: Are you kidding Me! I don't really follow baseball, and there doesn't appear to be anyway to change the scoreboard to another sport. Why not, or is MSFT going to change it to say football when they see fit?
I would and did expect more from Microsoft.......
News and sports are both deletes in my estimation

michail71 says:

I find Bing/MSN news to be rather lacking in depth. It's pure drivel most of the time. I don't think they could dumb it down anymore than it already is.

Will admit, I replaced my weather channel live tile with this one. At least this one updates correctly. Weather channel I got used to never updating. Pretty annoying.
Anyways. Bing Weather is elegant and fast. Simply, works. Isn't that all we've ever wanted? Kudos MS. My Lumia 925 shines more everyday. So excited to see the future.

blegs38552 says:

My 521 live tile updates for the Weather Channel and gives me the weather map alternating with the local conditions. wish the Bing app would do that. On the other hand, Bing seems to use the current location if you are traveling (haven't tested that yet) whereas Weather Channel only displays the current location.

Pulak Vatsya says:

On my Lumia 720 all these apps are not updating live tiles neither are they giving me push notifications (breaking news by bing news) i've Switched the push notifications on in the apps they are not blocked in background apps :( anyone fafing this or with a solution????

The Sports and News live tiles are not showing any content and are not refreshing, anybody else have this problem? im in the Netherlands.

Doohickie says:

The weather maps can't be zoomed.  As a result they are nearly useless to me.

Carchariax says:

How come the weather one doesn't have a large tile option? I like to have the weather tile at the very top. :( I guess I'll just stick to Weather Flow

Im disappointed in the News App. Unlike the Windows 8 version which syncs with other Windows 8 devices, this one required me to manually input sources, and its BIGGEST features IMO on Windows 8, RSS and in-app article web-browser, are missing from the WP edition. Sticking with Collector for now.

Ryanz says:

Just installed the News and Sports apps and am actually quite surprised. Most of the sports apps I use on my Android tablet don't allow me to add certain football (soccer) clubs, but no issue with Bing Sports.
Love that Bing news automatically added Canadian news sources to the News app also! Nice to have a news app that offers more local news, other than HuffPo.

blegs38552 says:

Don't see Tennis, though.Strange omission, especially with the US Open coming up this month.

Any way of getting scores to show up on the Bing Sports live tile?

Download free Instaweatherpro for Windows Phone Free - See more at: http://windroidblog.blogspot.in/2013/08/download-free-instaweatherpro-fo...

Pages