Xbox One streaming TV

US isn't getting Xbox One TV streaming for a while

xbox one

How to pin games, apps, videos, or music to Xbox One Home

App update roundup: Xbox One SmartGlass, Cinemagraph, Telegram Messenger and wpTorrent

Xbox

Microsoft updates the Xbox One SmartGlass Beta letting you 'like' published content

Xbox One SmartGlass Beta now available for Windows Phone

Xbox

Select Xbox One testers in select counties get OneGuide TV preview

Xbox One SmartGlass for Windows Phone gets ‘Game Clip’ streaming refresh

Microsoft updates both Xbox SmartGlass apps for Windows Phone

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Xbox One SmartGlass receives small update on Windows 8

Games

Hands on with Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare for Xbox One

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Microsoft completes the family, releases Xbox One SmartGlass for Windows 8.1

Xbox One SmartGlass app for Windows Phone 8 is ready in the Store

Developers

Microsoft unveils free Unity support for its independent developer publishing program on Xbox

Windows 8 Apps+Games

The Walking Dead invades your living room with new Windows 8 app from AMC

Xbox

SmartGlass for Xbox One will be a new app, coming later this year to Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8

Microsoft quietly obsoletes official UFC app for Windows Phone, urges use of Xbox SmartGlass instead

Microsoft introduces “The Companion Web”; a Utopia for mobile devices

Games

Microsoft's innovative Project Spark to let users create, share games on Xbox One, 360, and Windows 8

Games

E3 2013: Microsoft talks Windows Phone gaming, SmartGlass, and Xbox Music

Xbox

E3 2013 Re-Cap: The future of Microsoft's Xbox console

Xbox SmartGlass for Windows Phone updated to version 1.7

Xbox SmartGlass

The last time the SmartGlass app for Windows Phone received an update was way back in January. For that release, we didn’t have a changelog and today, we bring the same news. Version 1.7.2.0 is now live in the Store, though you’ll be hard pressed to find any new features or changes. Our guess would be that the connection logic was probably adjusted to deliver a smoother experience when linking to the console.

In other words, we can consider this a maintenance update.

The official SmartGlass app for Windows Phone allows consumers to control their Xbox 360 with their Windows Phone device, like a secondary remote, including web browsing and searching. In addition, the app can act as a second screen for certain presentations, though as our recent UFC experience has revealed it’s still not being widely taken advantage of by Microsoft quite yet.

If we had to surmise, Microsoft is holding back on a new SmartGlass experience for the forthcoming Xbox One console due in the fall. Like many of the current features on the Xbox 360, the One appears to take those and fully refine them for everyday use. In the meantime though, users will have to stick with the current system, which is a great sneak peek of things to come.

Pick up SmartGlass for all Windows Phones here in the Store. Thanks, Simon B., and others for the tip!

QR: SmartGlass

Comments

davidscott says:

Second screen is working on wp7.8?

zultar says:

Yes, it works on my radar

naz92 says:

The remote has changed has the guide on the top left instead of a switch button on the bottom

Vgeekn91 says:

A guide button was added to the remote in SmartGlass. A very nice feature

theefman says:

Mine is at version 2.0.0368.0, is this another store glitch that downgrades your app like in previous occasions?

ZX9 says:

That would a later build. Strange.

The build numbers within the app are all screwy. The 2.0 one is wrong, I believe, but the new one isn't much better either.

theefman says:

Guess I'll go ahead and update then. Thx

In addition to the guide button, there is a "hold down scroll to scroll faster" functionality, and it now doesn't disconnect when tombstoned!  The connect time is also decreased significantly for me.

joe_easton says:

That is great; i hate when i navigate to a different app then have to reconnect when i go back to smartglass

Hold to scroll faster has been there for awhile I believe.

Love smartglass...it is the only way on WP to browse the Xbox video store...

ebk14 says:

How do you pin the smart glass app to the main screen? The only way I've figured out how to access it is to go through Xbox music/ media tile first

It's listed as a game in the Games hub, and you can pin it from there.

ebk14 says:

Awesome, thanks!

rchillin says:

I don't see the update in the marketplace. Im running 7.8 on Lumia 900.

wizaard says:

Did you notice the new version is at last native WP8 with 720p (16 by 9 ratio) support? Most welcome!

rodneyej says:

Can I use Smartglass to control XBM on my PC❔I want to be able to remotely flip through songs on my computer using the XBM app on my phone..

AskaLangly says:

I find it funny how Smartglass tells me I can control GTA4 PC from it...

Much faster and silky smooth operation on my 521. Also seemed to stay connected to Xbox after screen timed out.

glassadam says:

I really hope that the Xbox One makes great use of smartglass on my PHONE, not just on a tablet. I don't happen to own a tablet but I bought into wp8 (and 7, for that matter) for the promise of the 3 screens vision. I want my One and my 920 to be simbionts, like, uh, Gungans and the Naboo.

Goodbyemoff says:

They added 720p support. It now fills the 8x's whole screen.

Wish you can sign in with a different Microsoft account. My Xbox live account is different than my phone account and it only allows you to use the account your phones set up to.

Yeah... In like 100 years when it will be available in Romania, I would like this.