Calculator Toolbox updated, adds OneDrive integration and more

Modern Combat 5 is the best shooter you can find on Windows Phone

Modern Combat 5 hitting Windows and Windows Phone this Thursday

Dungeon Gems is the latest free Gameloft game for Windows Phone and Windows 8

Some old Xbox games get a 2nd Life

Games

Blitz Brigade also launches on Windows 8, opening up the action on the big screen

Gameloft brings the big guns in Blitz Brigade for some Windows Phone carnage

Xbox

Microsoft releases preview app for Xbox One to help shape future updates

Gameloft brings medieval battles to Windows 8 with Rival Knights

Gameloft releases 'Order & Chaos Duels' free card game for Windows Phone

ProShot set to receive a huge update - New user interface, front facing camera support and more

Games

My Little Pony brings love and friendship to the realms of Windows and Windows Phone

Games

Heroes of Order and Chaos from Gameloft does battle on Windows Phone and Windows 8

GT Racing 2 speeds onto Windows Phone with impressive visuals

Lost Echo, a 3D action adventure game jumps from iOS to Windows Phone Store

Official Flipkart Windows Phone app updated, adds push notifications and more

Weather Hound updated with transparent Live Tile support

The Official Dailymotion Windows Phone app is redesigned with the latest update

Dream of Pixels unleashes beautiful puzzles on Windows Phone

Spider-Man Unlimited coming to Windows Phone in September

< >

Order & Chaos Online for Windows Phone gets first update, still needs more updating

Order & Chaos Online Windows Phone first update Swamp Fish King

When I reviewed Order & Chaos Online last week, I didn’t beat around the bush – I called it the single best Xbox Windows Phone game. No other game compares in scale, depth, or online multiplayer functionality. But that doesn’t mean it’s a perfect game, either. Like any big game it suffers from an assortment of bugs and glitches.

On Friday, Gameloft published what will hopefully be the first of many Order & Chaos Online updates. This particular update (which requires users to redownload the full 1012 MB game) doesn’t fix all of the known bugs, but at least it’s a start. Head past the break for details!

A ubiquitous patch

Order & Chaos Online Windows Phone Ubiquitous Nick

Order & Chaos Online is a paid game, but it also contains a shop that sells nothing but premium items. Hey, that’s how you make a game with more content than practically every retail Xbox 360 game and only charge seven bucks for it – you offset it with In-App Purchases. Dedicated players don’t mind the IAPs – they allow them to get special things that casual gamers won’t care about.

The problem at launch was the premium shop, run by a non-player character named Ubiquitous Nick, was broken on multiple levels. After choosing to access the shop by talking to Nick in a town or pressing the Nick’s Shop button from the player menu, the shop front displayed at a gigantic, non-resizable resolution that made browsing extremely difficult. Not only that, but actual purchases were impossible to make out.

Order & Chaos Online Windows Phone Ubiquitous Nick shop launch
Ubiquitous Nick's shop at launch

Considering that Ubiquitous Nick is a major part of the game’s monetization strategy, it should come as no surprise that Gameloft rushed to fix Nick’s shop in the version 1.1 update. The shop now displays at a much more reasonable resolution, and several users have been able to successfully buy Nick’s wares.

Halfway fixed

Order & Chaos Online Windows Phone Ubiquitous Nick shop first update
Ubiquitous Nick's shop after the version 1.1 update

Welcome as it is, the patch appears to have been something of a rush job because Nick’s shop still has issues. The images that make up the shop, including menu items, background, and purchasable items, may or may not actually show up when you visit it. I couldn’t get a screenshot with all images displaying properly for this article. Additionally, the items within the shop are not categorized properly.

Given Gameloft’s track record with updates, it’s hard to say whether they’ll return to Nick’s shop once again and fix it all the way. When Ice Age Village launched with broken social features, Gameloft put out a quick update that kinda-sorta fixed the problem, but not really – and that was the last update we’ve seen for it so far.

However, Order & Chaos Online is a higher profile release than Ice Age Village. Besides, as an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online RPG) Order & Chaos depends on a stream of future updates in order to keep players invested and spending money.

We can reasonably expect that Gameloft will add new content to it someday (such as the update that raises the level cap from 60 to 70). Hopefully at that point (if not much sooner), the publisher will properly fix Nick’s shop, the Relic’s Keep dungeon, and any other issues that continue to vex players.

Back to the adventure

Don’t let the critical nature of this article scare you away from Order & Chaos Online. Nick’s shop is important, but only to a relatively small portion of the user base. The bugs I’ve encountered do nothing to deter my enthusiasm for the game. If you’re an active player too, don’t forget to stop by the WPCentral Guild forum thread and see about joining our guild!

Order & Chaos Online – Windows Phone 8 with 1 GB RAM – 1012 MB - $6.99 – Store Link

QR: Order and Chaos Online

Comments

DennisvdG says:

Don't use nick's shop anyway :P

angelsimaren says:

Me either...lol not yet.

LastBattle says:

Would prefer to play this on my Surface Pro/RT instead... it feels like the battery is too short lived...

angelsimaren says:

Me too! I want to see Order and Chaos in the Windows 8 marketplace.

sqlchicken says:

+1020 love playing game, hate how much it destroys my battery and heats up my 920 like crazy

I hate how the 920 gets hot I just stick it up to my AC and freez it a lil lol

How about a Grand Theft Auto game lol that would be awesome

Mouthsmasher says:

Same here, and with controller support.

Never understood mobile gaming with a controller, why not just play it on a big screen with a console, Xbox, and a proper setting, or if outside, a Vita/DS. Using a controller with a phone, is, idk... wrong.

gelatus says:

I carry my phone with me everywhere I go. I don't carry my Xbox and HD TV all the time. If I want to get some play time while at my inlaws, or while waiting at the doctor's office I prefer to have something on my phone.

angelsimaren says:

Good to see Gameloft making an effort to update the game, but of course they only attempted fixing "profitable" part of the mmo. I do not use the shop either. However in the future I might depending on how much time is vested in my character. I would rather see Gameloft fix quest bugs, though this is promising to see they are updating something and sooner rather than later. So kudos.

1ll1TERAT3 says:

It is still a must get game!

KrisJoeEll says:

Is there any possibility of a 512mb ram version?
This game is too good to resist!

Hell no, it already runs at 10-15 fps on my 920s(4 different ones) so it'll probably just crash on a 512

Dreyer Smit says:

Yeah I'm thinking they should atleast try. Apparently Halo Spartan Assault is coming to 512Mb devices, so these people should pull a finger out

KrisJoeEll says:

I hope so.. If they do that low-end wp devices will start selling a lot more.

Here's the important question: Did this patch fix Relic's Key? lol

Paul Acevedo says:

Answered in the article. ~ ~

Doh, skipped right over that sentance lol. Dang, guess that quest will have to remain in my log for a while longer.

SaucePolicy says:

Gameloft? Lol nope. All their games are buggy pieces of crap and greedy cashgrabs. Pass.

Paul Acevedo says:

Skyrim is buggy too, but also an excellent game. Order and Chaos Online is much the same way. Passing on it because of a few bugs is only hurting yaself.

1ll1TERAT3 says:

+1 million ;)

While I openly admit it is a great game, I just can't get into it properly. If a Windows 8 version comes though, I will definitely give it another shot. Another game to stream won't be a bad idea.

xboxonthego3 says:

I would definitely try this on windows 8. But I can't imagine myself getting into a MMO on my phone. I like my phone for quick games to pass short amounts of time. But if they made a windows 8 version to sync with the phone version I would probably find myself getting both.

Nakazul says:

Dont wort if you own a Lumia. Then it will be a quick game. :-D

jml003 says:

That's my character in the pic! My battery life was good before and after update as long as I keep it plugged in. I have the lumia 925.

jml003 says:

And there are some bugs, but not enough to not fully enjoy this title. So if your thinking about it definitely try it out. Its also not bad on a phone really its not. A tab app for WP would be good but I find the phone fits well in my hands and is light. I really enjoy that I can log in anytime.

Murani Lewis says:

Just got done playing it for about 10 minutes. Still a newbie and learning the nuances of controlling my player. I like it a lot so far but can definitely would prefer to play it on a tablet with controller support.  In any case its an awesome game for the platform.

JamesDax3 says:

Anyone with an 8X having heat issues with this game?

sabrekane says:

I think everyone is having heat issues. My 925 gets uncomfortably hot after several minutes. I can only play for a little while at a time.

MyNL822 says:

Ha, good luck with this game. Played a bunch of gameloft games on my iPod touch, but gameloft has and always will be a greedy company. I have spent so much time leveling from 1 to 60 I even purchased a few iap with my money. They for one have the worst customer service. They are one of the few MMORPGs I know that do not give you an incentive for reaching max level or for paying them money for gear. If you buy the superior level 60 gear for dungeons you dint get refunded. They ban you for using glitches when it is their fault for not having those glitches fixed. They make their games so you either have to spend your time or money to be successful. So have fun!!!

Paul Acevedo says:

MMOs are always huge time sinks. Order & Chaos Online doesn't require any more grinding than World of Warcraft, the game it's based on. It sounds like you're mostly annoyed that you cheated and got caught for it... I'm not crazy about their support either though.

travisel says:

The frame rate to slow! The game is running @24fps on Adreno 225 GPU when it should be @30fps! Little bit too choppy to play.

buggyglint says:

We can only hope for them to bring us better fps in future updates. It's still a very well made game, I just wish they spent more time optomizing their games for wp8 platform.
Has anyone been able to get the voice-chat feature working? I noticed they added it in the latest patch notes.

MyNL822 says:

I'm not sure if it works the same for wp8, but you use headphones and speak through the headphones.

Paul Acevedo says:

How are you counting frames? Anyway, the frame rate is reasonable given the complexity of the environments and the number of characters, etc. that fit on screen. It's very similar to playing an MMO on a decent but not super buff PC.

moirane says:

Can't create a new account in my 1020, as soon as I accept terms and agreements the game closes

Paul Acevedo says:

That's not good. Try uninstalling and then redownloading.

Love this game and hope that Gameloft updates it. If you haven't bought this game yet, you're missing out.

Gameloft plz fix bugs

tylerh1701 says:

You have to redownload the entire game for this patch?  Wow.

MaxiL says:

I am sorry , i am trying to find help here
when i try to download the game this pops out "This app is not available because it requires: -1 GB RAM or more"
but my SD card has 3.60GB and my phone has 7.30GB free space in it , but i really cant know whats the problem
if anyone here knows please reply with an answer .
thanks for your time