Microsoft takes the Lumia 930 to the Cornbury music festival

China's going after Microsoft, but what for?

Editorials

Analysis of Microsoft's Q4 2014 results

Editorials

Xbox Video and Music are getting 'streamlined' says Nadella

Surface

Video of Microsoft's secret labs offers a look into the world of Surface

5.8 million Lumia smartphones sold this last quarter

Microsoft generates $23.38 billion in revenue for FY14 Q4

Microsoft focuses on design to unify separate platforms

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Google promises to fix Chrome bug on Windows, causing laptop batteries to drain

Editorials

Putting the Microsoft job cuts into perspective

Microsoft to cut 18,000 jobs in the next year

'Microsoft needs to change', says CEO Satya Nadella

Microsoft preventing new Lumia owners from changing the default search engine to Google [update]

Microsoft set to lay off large amounts of staff in upcoming organizational changes

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

Official YouTube app for Windows Phone 7 and 8 is back and now available

Earlier this year, Microsoft surprise its users by releasing its own YouTube app, complete with login and advanced management features of the popular streaming service. At the time, it was thought that Microsoft had come to an agreement with Google over the app, but as it turns out that was not the case. After some back and forth between the companies, Microsoft had agreed to pull the app as they work on a new, compliant version with Google.

Today, version 3.2.0.0 of YouTube is now live on the Store for Windows Phone 7.x and Windows Phone 8 devices.

The new app looks a lot like the app that was pulled and even includes an upload feature for posting videos directly to the service. That should reassure customers who believe the app would be stripped of functionality (one feature that seems to be missing is downloading of videos).

YouTube

According to the app description, the features include:

• Pin any video, playlist, channel, and search queries to Live Tiles
  • Manage your YouTube profile with your unique My YouTube page
  • Manage your playlists, uploads, and video lists
  • Find channels, videos, and playlists with the quick access search bar
  • Share videos to your social networks, e-mail, and text messages
  • Let your kids watch safe videos in Kid’s Corner and keep their own profile

The app is now available for older devices too, which is a great win for legacy users who have felt left out lately from Microsoft’s releases.

You can download the now official (and legal) YouTube app for Windows Phone here in the Store.

Update: See our video tour of the app in this follow up article

QR: YouTube

Comments

HailMarxism says:

I'd rather spend $0.99 and give google the middle finger

Nah... I didn't care much for the first app from MS, and I don't care much for this one.  I'll stick to MyTube for the time being.  I'll even give the man my money to have it full time.  It's just that much better to me.  Also yay for no ads.

Seriously... Mytube or Metrotube.  Pick one, and be happy.

Nejcooo says:

I'm not gonna downgrade. I prefer download feature, and no ads :P

DavidC_UK says:

Great stuff. Please can we have a Windows 8 port please as the apps for tablets are pretty poor. An official port would be ideal, especially after all the claims from MS last year that porting from WP8 to W8 should be fast and simple.

It's good to have options but i prefer metrotube !

Enable Live Tiles setting still doesn't have any influence on the live tile. Meaning it is always live. At least in my 920. :/

jlzimmerman says:

Now get official Instagram and Pinterest apps and give the haters nothing to talk about.

misfitpierce says:

It still eats up Other that it doesn't release. App itself needs a clear cache-temp files. My other mytube app doesn't do that but after half hour with this last night 500MB of other filled up... Sigh...

sision says:

Says app is not compatible with my 620 on gdr2 ?

Ramon Mejias says:

"one feature that seems to be missing is downloading of videos".... in Android app, I can't either download them... which is the issue?

Zeroplanetz says:

I can live with no downloads but ads on vids no thanks. I get enough of that on my desktop and all I do there is skip the ads anyways.

tranthe says:

Cool thing is back again.

Not available in india??

It seemed great at first then the video I was watching froze. Now I can't even get the website to work. Either Verizon or youtube is experiencing issues.
It appears to be verizon. I'm having trouble with everything now.

Sean D. says:

I'm sure I'll catch hate for this but, I'm gonna steer clear of this BECAUSE they worked with google.

:-/

Kenny G Jr says:

Well done Microsoft and Google.  This shows that there's hope for the Google Plus app. ;-)

Kallisticker says:

Useless because of file size limit. What is MS actually thinking we are going to upload? 320X240? This app is ridiculous!

marky_yo says:

ok now its not working! WTF!  I was actually enjoying it!

Carl Muir says:

"The Youtube service isn't available"......

lasm2000 says:

I don't know if it is only an issue with the old app (I never updated from the version that allow downloads), but not a single video is working. I would be quite annoyed if they are blocking the old version of the app from streaming.

rreszler says:

Yep its broken as of right now, was working this morning.  Getting a message when launching that says: "Something happened but were not sure what"

Ed Boland says:

Me too :(
I get that error message trying to do anything in the app... Seems its broken.

rotlen says:

Got happy about the new app but after update and re install all that i've got is that it only says "Something happened but were not sure what".

ohh, great now youtube video streaming will be easier, till now i have to use third party apps which were very annoying with their ads and all bad features... #hdness

Fendero Rede says:

who needs youtube. That's why there's netflix and hulu for quality programming. If I wanted sh*tty videos, i'd watch cable. Quote me on that do-no-evil Google. lol.

MyThIc3LiTe says:

Daniel, it has been blocked again.

but i install the new youtube app and its the same problem . it has benn blocked again ?

Pages