As suspected, Google is the culprit with the YouTube app errors

Official YouTube Windows Phone app confirmed as being blocked by Google

It was just 24 hours between the time that Microsoft re-released its revamped Official YouTube app for Windows Phone and time that it became virtually unusable due to crippling error messages.

We surmised that the "revoked developer key" causing the error was the result of Google blocking the key being used by Microsoft's app, and it turns out that that was indeed the case. Despite collaboration efforts between Google and Microsoft, Google has told The Verge that they are responsible for the revoked key.

War: Google pulls the key for Microsoft's YouTube app

Google said in a statement that the HTML5-based YouTube app still violates Google's terms of service, and therefore cannot be permitted to remain active.

"Microsoft has not made the browser upgrades necessary to enable a fully-featured YouTube experience, and has instead re-released a YouTube app that violates our Terms of Service," says a spokesperson. "It has been disabled. We value our broad developer community and therefore ask everyone to adhere to the same guidelines."

Even though the two tech giants were working together on the app, either the release into the Windows Phone Store was premature or Google somehow failed to realize the breach in terms of service. Either way, Microsoft has released a statement of their own:

“Google is blocking our updated YouTube app for Windows Phone," says a Microsoft spokesperson. "We are working with them to resolve the issue.”

In the meantime, we can only hope that this latest collaborative effort yields better results. Stay tuned.

Source: The Verge

Comments

devlam says:

Everybody should start to boycot google and chrome. I did a month ago because of the way google is acting.

Josh Harman says:

Everyone blow up @YouTube on twitter. Let them know.

bahamut443 says:

It sounds to me like Google is only open to MS making an app to represent a skinned browser version of their site...lame.

I have the YouTube app installed on my 920. Never used it, but reading stuff like this makes me want to just say f**k it, uninstall it and install MetroTube (which I have on my 810) instead. Stupid Google.

kenzibit says:

I think Microsoft should create their own video website just like youtube.....maybe BingTube. Google is such a bitch and Microsoft keeps on releasing beautiful apps for them. Sometimes I blame Microsoft for all this.

jasqid says:

BingTube ... Sign me up

OMG55 says:

x 8X.....F*************CK Google, I'm Done!

jayrod213 says:

Scroogle = Sh!t.

220SeaChaser says:

Microsoft offended Google and now must attend sensitivity reeducation.

oddom says:

This is the best comment thread I have ever read! Thank you wpcentral :D I have never seen a group of people scream fuck you google until today, and I read this site 3 times a day lol

jasqid says:

MS, just buy YouTube. Problem solved. Its the only service they have that I use.

Justin5267 says:

Should've never updated the app. -_-

bramstone123 says:

My fucking gmail account and everything else associated with google is closing as i write this...going to convince friends and family to do the same

JLP says:

If not for this reason, at least for the reason that apparently there is NO privacy in Gmail according to the reports I heard

Enough negotiating, MS sue Google in Europe!

dwigfor says:

Prevent Chrome browser from being preinstalled on Chrome books.

RayWP7 says:

Am. Not. Surprised. My first damn guess. Sigh. Its a perfect way to give MS a black eye with WP users who don't understand difference between apps, the APIs they leverage and who to blame when something doesn't work.

malih says:

wtf why would Microsoft re release a blocked app without first checking with the blocker whether it's okay.

still Google could've opted for a better way to do this instead of just directly blocking the app

Ronny2756 says:

I think im going to return my 2013 nexus 7 now... Just because of this!..

Tim McMahon says:

Google you are a sucktastic pile of shit!

mics_kiss18 says:

i can't believe a giant like Microsoft will allow Google to just bully them. If I were MS, I'd threaten google and not allow them to make an app for windows 8...or better yet disable all google services on MS products.. That would be awesome so that google will know who is boss!

Prezdhill says:

Didn't Microsoft just release some Office related apps on android?

dwigfor says:

It's not just Google...  Metro.....  SKYDRIVE>?!?!  Microsoft seems pretty impotent these days.

monigal2 says:

If I can't use WP, I'll get iPhone before any google phones in the future

Kadcidxa says:

Looks like the app didnt steal enough information on the users using it, so google blocked it. Google spyware ftw!

dwigfor says:

The full browser benefit.

kirklyt says:

I guess back to pinning YouTube webpage on my start screen again. It's ok, only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't look that cool w/ the other tiles. EvilGoogle strikes again.!

Is there some problem with the Mytube app as well?? Its particularly bad today!!

DaSchnee says:

@WPCentralStaff: screw those dickheads at Google. I think it is time for this site to move on to Vimeo. They have better video quality anyway.

awneze says:

Fuck you google, resistance is futile.
windows phone will surpass you, it's only a matter of time. you can block microsoft all you want fuckers... God unbelieveable.. I can't believe I applied to work there and have an interview scheduled for monday. damn it

Zamir Yusof says:

destroy it from the inside!!!

Chef316 says:

Should show off your windows phone if you get a job. Start a windows phone underground within Google!

Tragic says:

That's not a bad idea honestly. I'm sure of a lot google employees would dump their laggy, clutter, always crashing apps, evil, ugly phones for a windows phone :)

jhoff80 says:

According to Engadget, Google wanted to collaborate on an HTML5-based app for Windows Phone.

Microsoft didn't want to use HTML5, and so instead they reverse engineered Google's YouTube ad APIs to release the version yesterday instead of working with Google.

Sucks for users, but I can see where both sides are coming from here.

Chef316 says:

Would be cool if articles talking about Google not supporting windows phone with official apps would have links to your guys recommended alternative 3rd party apps for Google services.

Karanstyle says:

Even after being a fan boy I'll say its so funny of Google to give them a hope to MSFT to look up in the Sky for YouTube and they Slap MSFT and run away!! :D

For the time being FUCK YOU BUNCH OF BASTARDS AT GOOGLE, FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM for not creating or not letting create an offical WP8 apps. However, Unofficial apps of all 3(FB, Instagram & Youtube) are better than official as they allow us to *Download* the videos or images! So in a double meaning Fuck you!!

This situation is patently ridiculous. It just is. ALL it does is engender bad feelings toward Google. They're idiots.

neo158 says:

Why shouldn't we have bad feelings towards a company who recently stated in the news that "Gmail users shouldn't expect a right to privacy". I'm not surprised Google would pull this sort of shit on Windows Phone users!!!!

spyderzWPC says:

Id complain on google+ but its such a failure even google doesnt use it.

Antwan3k says:

We just got scroogled..

futurix says:

I'd imagine this is because Microsoft did not enable support for YouTube advertisements (due to IE10's incomplete HTML5 support) - and ads are the only thing Google really cares about.

Prezdhill says:

The updated app did have ads though.

visnit14 says:

Ahh google....you fucking cunt!!MS just stop supporting their fucking chrome on Windows 7 or 8 by any means available.

jlynnm350z says:

Sad, just sad. Google you suck donkey balls

Jaco Ra says:

HTC One X with Sense 5 update coming soon is looking good to me now. Hopefully lack of apps will be fixed in 2014 when 8.1 is out. I'll still have my 2 windows phones

neo158 says:

That's your choice but consider this http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/14/google-gmail-users-pri... before moving to Android!!!!

That's right, Google don't care about the privacy of its users!!!

Jaco Ra says:

But I use Gmail on Windows Phone as well..

Poor Microsoft. They got Scroogled.

Hahaha. fuck google, I never use their service anyways. Want to watch videos go to vevo, or torrent it.

i they think this is low quality try the 360 app it crashes continuously even after title updates

wakkabash says:

Dear google, fuck you. Sincerely from me.

jacob114489 says:

And sincerely from me.

montel22 says:

What a fucking bull shit company. They are a afraid of competition.

Microsoft should just drag their nuts across Google's face in court, just for being assholes. F*ck Google, go Microsoft!

montel22 says:

I just installed that Google shit.

Jaco Ra says:

I don't see what was wrong in the app though

Mobile Fan says:

Please also tweet your frustrations,opinions using #growupgoogle #windowsphone tags. Lets make our voice loud and clear.

jacob114489 says:

So every YT app for WP is HTML. Doubt it, so why isn't mytube working and metrotube. They blocked the whole platform.

Tafsern says:

Google, die!!!!!

PaulosV says:

As far as I had chance to look at the app, MS has neither disabled VEVO videos in their YouTube app, nor any videos prohibited from playing on the phone (at least on WP7); they've just added the ads. So technically, MS is still violating YouTube's Terms of Use. No need to blame Google where the arguments are not well-founded.

Tragic says:

Never again would I use anything google. Ever. This is just ridiculous. They suck, android sucks, YouTube sucks, Gmail sucks, they suck, they suck, and oh, they suck.

ricardios says:

Ridiculous, it's like they are playing a game

ajvanbreen says:

Blech. Metrotube still seems to work at least, for now. It just seems small and petty of Google to make their services incompatible with windows phone.

Eas195 says:

It has been several times I saw comments like this in this article. Well, users are now mad at Google...

CobraJ82 says:

Why don't MS and Apple block google on there OS :D

Eas195 says:

Apple should support Microsoft's Scroogled campaign if they want to block Google.

Montpbm says:

Right! That would show those bums..

Aryan Angel says:

I like how you guys haven't censored a single comment on this article yet ;)

lbaxter says:

I think they feel the same but aren't "allowed" to put it in such terms.

Eas195 says:

Ah, crap. Then why must I download that blocked-by-Google app? It will be much clearer that Google is playing dirty with us, with such irrelevant reason. HTML5 issue? Nah, then should Microsoft support Flash in Windows Phone? It would be major security issues. The desktop one is fine for Flash, but NOT for mobile one.

ahmedjan87 says:

Gettin real tired of shit scroogle

Shiawian says:

+920
F(** them

lnsertName says:

Damn it, i updated yesterday from the old WORKING app and now nothing!

del_x says:

The old app is broken too I still have it and get the same error.

Manny C says:

That's pathetic.

This is Google being petty. Pure and simple.

del_x says:

Fuck Google I have started clearing my Gmail and moving to outlook can't wait for the day to delete it. C'mon WPC stop using YouTube, make use of some alternative service Vimeo may be.

Ticomfreak says:

It's not even dependant on the browser. I hate Google.

tone84 says:

I like metrotube anyways

OHardy says:

+920 Stopped using Google's various apps a month ago because of this. Thinking of blocking them from my work domain & push IE with BING.

blakkrobb says:

I'm confused, what browser updates? If you go to YouTube.com you can play the videos just fine with the built in video player. I thought the only "full YouTube" experience was on Android because they had flash, unless I'm mistaken IOS uses the YouTube app when you click on videos on YouTube.com

bsd107 says:

MS, learn your lesson - stop "cooperating" with Google and re-release the original app from 2 months ago.

neo158 says:

It still wouldn't work as ALL Youtube apps on Windows Phone are blocked at Scroogles end!!!!

anujklkr says:

ok.
had'nt google approved just yesterday when the app released? and today it violates some shit? -_-
dear google, the G in GFYS now stands for GOOGLE f*** urselves -_-

Viipottaja says:

I'd rather fuck that new Yahoo CEO lady. But yes, fuck Google.

jassp87 says:

What a childish act for google. Microsoft wont do what google did. They will not go to that kind of level that google has.this is ridiculous! WP8 is obviously a threat for google, thats why they are doing this act. WELL FUCK YOU GOOGLE! sorry for my manners, but fuck you!

louisoneal says:

This is the best comment section EVER!!!!!

sip1995 says:

GOOGLE YOU'RE DRUNK....GO HOME BITCH.

freshfelicio says:

Youtube is the only thing I miss from Google. I use Internet Explorer. I use bing. I use outlook.com. I use SkyDrive. Fuck Google.

volcane2004 says:

As Google once said, "Don't be evil."

What about if Microsoft release an update to Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, to block the users to enter on any Google Service, how could they react to it?

WPBlox1989 says:

That will be the day Google will cry about losing the biggest user base for Chrome as Windows is still the dormant OS of the PC market.

Ushae says:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Google, i swear to god there's being competitive and then there's just plain anti consumer bullshit. God I used to have so much respect for these guys..

jason_tee says:

Fuck you Google, Microsoft why you never do something similar like this back to google?

sym1a1a says:

Hmmm, after reading through 311 comments on this article I'm a bit surprised as to how reserved the WPC community is on this topic, I would have thought we would be all really vocal on this subject, come on guys and gals, tell us how you really feel LOL, oh and by the way F**K GOOGLE

kc77 says:

Microsoft needs to stop being so nice about the situation and start playing hardball. Block all Google services from running on Windows platforms for a day just to prove a point. Sure, Google would threaten lawsuits and all, But it would be nothing new. Show them just how much money they lose out on without providing services for Microsoft systems.

Jazmac says:

Agreed 1000 %

Jazmac says:

I told you they are NOT to be trusted.

Voxophone says:

Fucking Google...

soumitro316 says:

Goodbye official YouTube ,hello(again)Metrotube:)
P.S. Fuck you Google

sixium says:

Just you wait.  Slow and steady wins the race. WP will take the #2 position, and Google will be ON ITS KNEES BEGGING Microsoft to have its apps on WP.

sixium says:

And then, Microsoft comes back, "Sure, we thank you for considering developing for Windows Phone. We've put together an SDK package that provides deeper access to the Windows Phone and Windows 8 architecture, with more tools to help you create better apps. The license is slightly more costly at $99,000,000.00 per app."
Then Google complies and develops its app library for Windows Phone.  Then three days later, Microsoft revokes the licenses, citing "App certification issues" that plague all of its apps.  They either work with Microsoft to bring all their apps into compliance, or they can't re-publish their apps.  Google complies and reworks their apps.  Then Microsoft takes three months to re-certify those apps.

soumitro316 says:

Nice article..explains everything...Google seriously needs to grow up and stop acting like such douchebags

I guess it is time to Balmer show the MS claws. How about deny the use of their technology (patents) on android? Deny office and other things? How about that? Deny Skype. Deny Office. Google is a kindagarden compared to MS when we talk about patents and know how.

Nakazul says:

This is just sad. It gives me more strength to fight Google thou.

fraserzhu says:

Google is evil

Time to Switch..im using Dailymotion ..itz really amazing ... thanks to google .... Monopoly never won the game ...

soumitro316 says:

Deny them Skype

mikroland says:

Sad thing is most people love google and trust google. They should be loving Microsoft and trusting Microsoft. Not Google. I hate google. The only services I use from them are search and YouTube and that's it. Google is very evil.

Roach26 says:

Google can go eat a dick...

JRich442 says:

Fuck Google. That is all.

Now I know that the WP was the right choice ... I hate google

Carchathoth says:

Fu** you copycat Google. You ain't making friends this way. You are nothing but a thief and spy by yourself. Acting like this is dirty.

I tweeted this to Daniel, but is there any way we can start a letter writing campaign to Google about how this doesn't make us want to switch to an android device, if anything it makes us want to switch off google. I stopped using Gmail, I will stop using Google and switch to Bing permanently, and chrome is now uninstalled.

Actually when Chrome came out, it killed Firefox and IE soon after because it is speedy and has very good GUI. Google is good at designing tools.

But unfortunately, storing data with Google has some inherent risk due to its business model. It makes money from information.

Microsoft makes money from tools.

I have stopped using Google calendar, but email still with google. :(

neo158 says:

That article is exactly why I'm getting away from Google as soon as I can!!!!

reprod3 says:

Screw Google. This is a blatant attempt to discredit Microsoft. This needs to get in the news somehow.

lambacini says:

Microsoft block all google content and application on all windows opertion systems.
Google thinks what he's doing.
fuuckle bad boy. Close all google accounts.

rohanagarwal says:

Use metrotube people. Its beautiful. I didnt even bother downloading the youtube app because I had complete faith in google that it'd resolve to such petty tactics again. There's no such thing as a healthy competition. *sigh* I wish people supported WP just because its being thrown into a battleground without a weapon, its the underdog. Its like google already has a Nissan skyline gtr to race, yet its messing with the turbocharged ford focus that MS drives. No sportsmanship.

Its pretty evident google is getting scared of the potential of WP8.  Trying to criple the platform before it gains legs and runs. I expect a long dog fight between apple google and microsoft for complete supremacy. Microsoft along with their partners are the inovating companies right now. The faster they roll out apps for their platform, the faster people will switch. Hampering essential apps like google is them admitting the power and potential of WP8. Let the battle begin and lets take this as a good sign that the big dogs are taking us seriously.

Andrae Cox says:

+521. Google and Android need to take a long walk off a VERY short pier.

You idiots are blaming Google? Blame yourselfs for getting a dumbass windows phone

Saerise says:

I don't exactly trust Microsoft, but I trust Google even less these days. Google is quickly becoming as bad as Apple when it comes to some things.

What's funny is that I'm still using the first official youtube app (downloaded it before it went down) and it works! Also, fuck everything about google. Im out.

klarytata says:

Welcome to the real world, people running after money and growing in pride.
Company claiming "no evil" playing evil ways is 1000 worse than those who openly admit that its all business and all we are trying to do is to make some money.
I have reported to Google that they are breaking competition laws. Don't think they will listen but someone will know what we think. Android has grown too quickly and as quickly can be replaced by something else. Google will fall.

API_Rock says:

Its blocked by google but it can play Live video, I just checked and its working!!!!!!

Ish68 says:

I have a Lumia 800 and been trying to access any youtube video and getting 'can't play on this phone' error message.
It's not the end of October and still we have no youtube video's because google has blocked our access, so why doesn't Microsoft play the same game and during the monthly update, add something that blocks all access to every google service and let them see what it feels like.  Most computers use windows and so do quite a few mobiles and tablets now, so imaging how much google would lose out if MS played the same games as them.  I have used google search engine for years, but now I just don't like the way they are trying to rule everything and I changed to Bing search and will never purchase any android phone or tablet because of there tactics.  Come on Microsoft block them and quick, people will support this because because we keep getting warned about google accessing or allowing others to access our details and browsing information.

If your government (or company or school) blocks youtube site, or only some videos, you can easily watch and download youtube video from this web site:

www.yoursse.com

It is easy and does not require proxy or to install software. It allows you to search quickly video on YouTube, respecting your privacy and without showing Promoted Videos, but also allows you to watch videos without beginning and without advertising banner superimposed. You can easily save videos to your PC, phone or mp3 player.

Please share it on your facebook and your friends. Keep the freedom of internet!

Pages