Microsoft responds in detail to Google’s blocking of YouTube; cites HTML5 and unfair treatment

Last night, Windows Phone Central broke the news about the new Microsoft branded YouTube app essentially breaking. We investigated the problem and concluded that it was due to a revoked developer key. Such a scenario could only happen if Microsoft forgot to update it or if Google yanked it.

That latter situation implies that Google did not authorize the app and was taking direct action of their own by disabling the video player on all Windows Phones. Indeed, just a few hours ago this was confirmed when Microsoft said as much in a note to the press.

Now, David Howard, Corporate Vice President & Deputy General Counsel at Microsoft, has taken to TechNet, Microsoft’s blog on legal and public policy. Needless to say, the nearly 1000 word statement is chock full of information and more details on the matter, making an excellent read.

HTML5, branding and unfair requests

Presenting Microsoft’s side, which of course is expected to be biased towards themselves, Howard finally gives the details behind the current situation with Google.

It’s noted that for a few years now, Microsoft has been striving for a comparable YouTube experience that is found on the iPhone and Android—something for which we see as reasonable. Redmond reiterated that claim earlier this year soon after Windows Phone 8 launched. Google, however, was reportedly not willing to share certain data with Microsoft on to make that happen. As a result, up until April 2013, Microsoft had a much inferior YouTube experience.

This past spring, Microsoft released their version of a YouTube app and it was very well received by the community. However, Google took issue with it and asked that it be removed. Microsoft obliged with the condition that they can work with Google to release an app of comparative performance with their competitors (iOS and Android).

Microsoft agreed to Google’s terms and in version 3.2 of the YouTube app, released earlier this week, they had enabled Google’s advertisements, disabled video downloads and eliminated the ability for users to view reserved videos.

But there was evidently one more thing Google wanted: the app to be coded in HTML5.

"It seems to us that Google’s reasons for blocking our app are manufactured so that we can’t give our users the same experience Android and iPhone users are getting. The roadblocks Google has set up are impossible to overcome, and they know it." - David Howard
Corporate Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, Microsoft

Microsoft notes that this was an unusual request since iOS and Android are currently not encoded in HTML5 and moreover, after investigating whether it could be done both companies agreed that making an HTML5 app would be technically difficult and time consuming (and perhaps that was Google’s intent).

This was the breaking point as Microsoft decided to release the non-HTML5 version of the app with the intention of returning to the matter later with Google.

Other lingering issues

Other problems that Google cites are ads “based on conditions imposed by content creators” aren’t always displayed. Microsoft claims that they need more data for this, something for which Google reportedly won’t share.

Finally, Google evidently now has a problem with the branding i.e. it seems like an official Google app when it’s made by Microsoft. Another reason is that according to Google, this new app provides a “degraded experience”, something for which most users have not objected too, making it vacuous.

Where to next?

It is clear Microsoft is ratcheting up the PR war by releasing this statement. From their perspective, Google has set prejudicial requirements for Windows Phone that iOS and Android are not obliged to meet. To that end, especially the request for the app to be in HTML5, it does seem that Google here is behaving rather dishonestly.

However, we should note that Google has yet to go into as much detail and surely they have their side as well. Regardless, this dispute has clearly crossed a line and Windows Phone users are suffering at their expense.

Source: TechNet

Comments

mr_808 says:

Google would be wise to just make the app and get this over with.  Why the hell should WP be the only platform to be coded with HTML5?!  This is really getting old.

quantum tao says:

google really  turned me off over the past couple years. i only have one thing left with them, adsense. might be time to cut the last thread.

Aryan Angel says:

S'goin' on scroogle,

Dang ol', name's Aryan n' tellyawhat, hate erry single oneayou, knowudimsayin? All ya'll fat, dang ol', dumbusdoorknobsyankees, talkinabout, spend errydamnsecondoftheday checkin out du dumb videos. Talkinabout, damnwaste atime, yaskme, knowimsayin'?. For realman, anyo'ya'll even, talkinabout, goin out to the club, getwhatimean, get somudatyaknow, WHOO WHOO, knowimsayinman? Talkinabout, y'know it IS purdyfun gettinon dang ol' computer, and just click-click-click-click-click, thateasyman, gettinon the dang ol' websites and just lookinatda dang ol' picshas and bein' like hehelookadis, man, knowimsayin, but tellyahwut, ya'll takinittoofar man, tellinya, too far.

Don't be, talkinbout, beatinaroun a bush, juslike, bestraightuptalkinabouttellitlikeitis. Dangol', juslookatme,man. Gotnoproblemso'erhere,man, tellyouhwut. Gotmeset o' weights, knowimsayin, jusgetonthatb-b-benchpress, knowimsayin, juslike twohunderdthreehundered pounds, justbelike SOOPSOOPSOOP, dangol, like40repsaintnothin, turnarounddangol, getouttomyridesallyman, revituplike VROOMVROOMVROOM, dangol, built hermuhself, knowimsayinman? Watyou uptoman, dangolgettinonthecomputer, justlike, typetytype, talkinbout, nakedcartoonsman. Tellyuhwutman, dangol, gotme3rdgirlthisweek, tookherhome, knowimsayinman. (Talkinabout, gettindownandirtywiththatmouthaction, knowimtalkinboutman? Justlikedangol, talkinbout, just like.. damn). Dangol, shouldbeashamed ayourselves. Tellyouhwutman, justtellinitlikeitis.

walter1832 says:

what just happened?

Aryan Angel says:

I reckon you don't understand southern accent.

quantum tao says:

not sure what was more work, writing that or reading it.

lbaxter says:

Did Boomhauer join WP Central?

In Limbo says:

Wtf. How did you even will yourself to even type that much? lol

Time to switch, im using dailymotion now..itz amazing .really i missed DM..thanks to youtube

Snazrael says:

We all need to boycott Google. They don't offer a single thing that we can't get somewhere else, and without being Scroogled.

Sean D. says:

+925.

(except youtube)

Jazmac says:

I agree. First order of business is to abandon chrome. Uninstall it and don't use it. Its spam anyway. Make sure you remove it from that HIDDEN directory it installs in. It will continue to do its dirt even if you uninstall it.
Get your friends and family on board. Start a Facebook / Twitter / Instagram movement.   Use Firefox, IE Opera, Safari on the desktop ANYTHING but google chrome.

I'm using an amazing"tube pro" from us region

astraith says:

Another anti consumer choice by Google.

sumothong01 says:

If Vimeo didn't limit upload sizes like they do I would have no use for YouTube or Google. As a former Android user I hate Google with every ounce of my being.

its_wasims says:

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

dukrem says:

So as suspected it's not about the ad revenue or the content providers, because if it were google would be jumping at this, html5 or no. This proves it is some petty anticompetitive vendetta against windows phone. If this doesnt cause infinite bad press for google then microsoft is doing something wrong.

Really unbelievable. I hope Google gets a BIG black eye for this!

ExTrAbUtTa says:

And this is EXACTLY why I'm rocking with Metrotube. Ridiculous that these companies are acting like children fighting over M&Ms . For Google, more people using YouTube will only HELP the company they bought. To alienate those who willingly choose a different mobile platform, surely wouldn't have me running into the arms of Android. Its about choice and my choice of WP as my platform should not be used against me. If I was MS I'd just forget it and make it very public what's happening to them and their consumers.

ianberg says:

+1 for MetroTube

Tragic says:

Move the WPCentral youtube channel to Vimeo. This in all honesty is ridiculous. I can't believe Scroogle is allowed to use these types practices. If this were Mircosoft a few years ago this would be on every tech site, but since it Scroogle it makes it ok for them to do this. Complete bs.

SachinJagtap says:

Just modify windows 8.1 to make it impossible to use chrome,gmail,youtube and google services on computers.
Remove all the office,skype and other support from android and chrome os

rmichael75 says:

Exactly..

Dont need to remove office and Skype... but give error while installing chrome, while using gmail, and google services.. just say it is OS bug. lets seee what happens.

killakiloz says:

Well google, you effin suck. Will officially be migrating from Gmail back to my old hotmail for good. W.e way I can hurt them, I will

lucktr says:

OmG, what a bloated pile of self indulged kunds ;) has google become. I thought that only the movie sucked!!!

Rich White says:

If Google was playing Fair they would hand Microsoft an HTML5 Client and say "Here: modify the backend APIs for Windows Phone. The Web Service Calls and Look and Feel are complete and uniform across all our platforms.".

The answer is to create a better platform than youTube. It's so over. It looks and smells like it was designed in the MySpace. era. It demands replacement.

poddie says:

That answer only works if you can get YouTube's CONTENT. Without that, you can have the best interface in the universe and you still have nothing.

WRONG!  Here in China we've had a Google-free zone ever since they ran away squeeling like a stuck pig when a little Chinese company beat the crap out of them.  You don't "need" all that content.  In fact you don't "need" anything from Google.  But I'll bet somewhere in your life, school or office you'll "need" Microsoft.

So if we all have to choose, there's no point in choosing Google. RIP.

poddie says:

Where you miscalculate is that most of society could not care less what Google is doing or not doing to Windows Phone.  Asking them to take a stand for an operating system they don't own and most likely don't want anything to do with is pointless.

What is their incentive to stop using YouTube?  Why would they NOT watch all the content that is on YouTube?  Why would they even TRY something else, when all the content is on YouTube already?

I don't specifically know the situation in China you are talking about, but it wouldn't surprise me if the government had a hand in it one way or another... but in the US I don't see any way to stop YouTube unless they introduce something that is so unpaletable to the average viewer that it drives them to alternatives.

leo74 says:

Well, fuck you very much Google!

Rob van Uden says:

I'm very curious what Google has to say about this.

bahamut443 says:

Google is just plain evil. Period.

TreizFaction says:

Best thing Microsoft can do is ramp up a competing service. In the mean time they should release the old app and tell google to stuff it.

They had one, it was called Soapbox, and it went nowhere.

abowl0e says:

I'm not suffering. I love WP and am happy to have resurrected my old MS email. Down with Google's fancy spam!

Bnlf says:

just launch a new video platform to compete with youtube or buy an existing one and make it better! im sure azure servers can commit to that ;)

thegamevg says:

Who's right ... who's wrong ... who killed Roger Rabbit....
The only FACT here is that Google is clearly biased against Microsoft...kinda nice to see that Google views Windows Phone as a big enough threat to resort to such shameless tricks...

This is getting ridiculous

Suneel Reddy says:

How does html5  makes any difference to google as you tube app is running on windows phone. For accessing youtube api, it does not matter whether you are using html5 or flash

leo74 says:

Just advised my IT department to implement a complete Google block for my company. No more chrome allowed on any computer, google blocked, Gmail blocked, YouTube blocked and I will replace all current android phoned with WP devices. The reason is simple: if one of my vendors forces me into exclusivity, I will go exclusively with the one who doesn't. And I will happily tell my customers about the reason, should they ask.

thegamevg says:

Let the revolution begin !!!

Rubios says:

You mean like Microsoft with Exchange? Windows Phone can't sync with my Cal/CardDAV accounts (the open standard).

Rob van Uden says:

In the newest update Windows Phone can

Rubios says:

You can only set up a Google account.

kirklyt says:

Google is giving us more BS as WP marketshare starts to grow however slowly.. More will come peeps, that's to be expected. It's almost like a war..

Sean D. says:

Sure glad I took the stance I did... I decided to avoid this app BECAUSE they were "working" with google on it.

Bailey199719 says:

Instead of squabbling they should work together. My 3 year old and 8 year old nephews get on better than Microsoft and Google do and that's saying something!!

Nik Rolls says:

While I get your point, your nephews don't have billions of dollars invested in keeping their world-leading platforms alive.

Unless they do, in which case they're totally awesome.

bahamut443 says:

Google should be kissing Microsoft's ass for taking the time to make this app. Google sure as hell won't.

WPBlox1989 says:

Not right now, but if Microsoft adds the YouTube blocking in the recent case against Google and win, Google will be kissing Microsoft's backside to unblock their YouTube develpoer key and not slapped with a heavy fine. (Google knows that US Dollar's higher than the inflated Euro)

JRich442 says:

Fuck Google. That is all.

ebradley says:

Glad I never went the Google route.

SEKKDS says:

Me too. Apparently that road leads straight to hell.
#pureevil needs to be started as a label for Scroogle. Just like Larry Ellison said they were.

jlynnm350z says:

No win situation. Plan b

Darren Walsh says:

Google are starting to release that windows phone is going to become a threat to them! Bunch of ***kers! I done work in their building in Dublin a while back, sorry I didn't do a shit job !!!

Object704 says:

Google can go fuck themselves. Not fair is an understatement! Why does Android and iOS get YouTube but not us? Pure c*nts.

gevabar says:

Google today is what Microsoft use to be......that is true.........with market share comes a lot of corporate thugs always trying to one up on another company but not through fare competition but through greed, laws, loopholes and excuses.....these type of act do not create innovation but create only copies

FrankEpr says:

If I wouldn't have updated the YouTube app would the error still appear?

Nik Rolls says:

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the previous app didn't use a developer key, and I have seen people saying that the old one still works.

big dooze says:

Reason #3423 why I hate google

AndyD33 says:

Maybe for once the EU can be useful with their "competition and monopoly" BS?!

ajftl says:

Damn. This is fucking retarded instagram. Vine google. Wtf. Lets all block windows phone. Lol

hysonmb says:

I'm starting my move to Vimeo. YouTube is the last service I use from them.

gevabar says:

I tried that, but its not that great....i do use Bing more then google now

kurotsuki says:

I don't know about vimeo, but for bing, not just most of the time, i use bing ALL the time :)

bsd107 says:

MS: stop it!!!!! Just re-release the app you did two months ago. Done.

ericjojo says:

Just deleted my Gmail account. I can live without You Tube on the internet, there are plenty other options!!!

It's bad enough that Youtube is basically the only useful video plattform. And it sucks that it still doesn't support more than 30FPS and that the GUI is getting more and more idiotic with every iteration, not to mention the atrocious touch support of their video player.
But this just makes it plainly retarded.

I really wish there was an alternative to Youtube. A GOOD alternative.

gevabar says:

You tube will die out one day to another.....question is will we still care in 20-30 years

Eas195 says:

Ah, the more pressure on Windows Phone, the higher it can fly!

Dk92 says:

Yep. All press is good press in the particular scenario.

poddie says:

Except most people read things like this and think "shit, I can't even watch YouTube on WP? Forget it!"

Stupidentist says:

Finally. It's nice to see Microsoft taking the initiative here and sticking up for their users. I wonder what Google's response will be.

jm5001 says:

"Windows Phone users should learn their place", probably.

minus365 says:

Burn in hell, google!

bickytweets says:

Google is scared that microsoft may rule mobile aswell.... Loosers

kurotsuki says:

No they won't. They are the evil ... Ruler of hell :p

bilzkh says:

Microsoft doesn't know how to fight a war with the likes of Google, so here are my suggestions.

1. Buy up some up and coming EA and Gameloft titles, I'm thinking, the most hyped up games -- e.g. Asphalt 8, Modern Combat 5, Real Racing 4, etc. Release them on Windows Phone, Windows, iOS, Xbox One -- skip out Android.

2. Stop updating the Android Skype app, beyond basic repairs.

3. Try buying up Flipboard Inc, and take it off Android (except for Kindle, let's just F with them).

4. Stop licensing Windows Phone, make it free to all OEMs, but be extra aggressive about patent fees on Android.

5. Identify start-ups with lots and lots of potential and promise, buy them up, the next FB/Twitter/Flipboard/Vine/Instagram will be among them.

gevabar says:

Some old timers at google hate Microsoft....from the time Microsoft came out with Bing.....that was the end of there friendship....

IzaacJ says:

Actually, MS has more OS marketshare than Google if you add in Windows XP/Vista/7/8/RT, so I think it's a move MS could take, with most of their services, but the smartest thing to do would be to make native apps (Office, Skype, Skydrive, etc, etc) unavailable to Android and Chrome OS, and force them to be HTML5 apps.
Or, preferably, Microsoft could totally continue doing it this way and make a statement that says "THIS is how you treat your users! Not the Scroogle way!"
That would hopefully do some difference if that would spread to all major techsites.

You took the words out of my mouth, I couldn't agree with you any more. I was thinking that Microsoft needs to fight back by blocking Skype, Office, Skydrive & block Outlook integration on Android/Google/Motorola devices. Enough is enough & this Google versus Microsoft nonsense needs to end. This will only lead to bad press for Google that they want to monopolize the market.

gevabar says:

Does anybody know how much Facebook or tweeter is worth....hey Microsoft buy one of them and then change the API or whatever so it doesn't work on android....lol....oh wait that would be a law suit.....

kjordan_29 says:

“degraded experience” Caused by your luck of support for Microsoft's app, much less an official app from yourself, Google!  Get over it.

SupaRawr93 says:

Whilst Microsoft has clearly broken the rules Google put in place - something they openly accept - those rules were unnecessary in the first place.
Google has no reason to insist Microsoft develops the app in HTML5, when their apps are native. No HTML5 app on any platform that supports it has comparable performance to a native code version, a point proven by Facebook last year when they ditched their HTML5-based app on Android and replaced it with a native code version. I used Android at the time and, needless to say, the performance difference was night and day.
The advertising issues are beyond Microsoft's control. They've had to reverse engineer the APIs as it is, if Google just gave them the data it would be fine. Plus bear in mind that even in its incomplete state, Google are receiving ad revenue via the WP app, something which Microsoft implemented at their own expense!
As for the trademark complaint and performance... the old web bookmark with vastly inferior performance was okay, then?

ChMar says:

Google owns youtube service so is their right to make a native version for iOS and Android. This is normal if so is stated in TOS. The problem is there are lot of apps not using those terms and google only chooses to go for MS. If they insist for the TOS to be respected Metro Tube or whatever other apps and services must be brought down as well. Otherwise is proof of bad intent and is anticompetitive

SocalTouch says:

What about all the third party youtube clients on Android that are native code and let you even download videos for offline. Google plans to revoke their developer key too??

bickytweets says:

Hell is for you google!!

ogracia says:

Well i had enough, I just deleted my Gmail account & YouTube, I'll take my stuff on other services

IzaacJ says:

I used to dream about working at Google, and I really looked up to their way of doing things. That time has passed.
Bye bye google.

zacman says:

To be honest it was pretty stupid from MS to release a client called YouTube which looks like it's something official without getting the consent from Google first.

A company that sued Lindows over name infringement has no right to complain about Google now.

dkp23 says:

Not surprised, it was expected after so much time has passed since MS pulled.

I think ms figured the app would be ready to go weeks after, but google pretty much just bait and switched them and forced their hand to release.

I dont think google had any intentions to make this easy for MS at all.

thinkdan says:

I'm sorry, but what's the need for a YouTube app? I mean, you can always go to the mobile website and play videos from there, right? That's what I always do.
Still, I agree, Google is evil and we really need a Microsoft replacement.

kurotsuki says:

Same here. It just that most people still want them, and google know this. That's why they cripple this.

+1 reason why i don't buy android or iphone (iphone NO more :) ) or scroogle search. Windows phone 8 is amazing. And Microsoft Bing is amazing now with perfect result. Maybe all customers see NOW what going on.

SEKKDS says:

I think Microsoft needs to start screwing with its Skype app for Android!!  Give them a taste of their own medicine.

trickym81 says:

That just means there will be few Skype users, which is bad for Microsoft. Android has a huge marketshare that Microsoft doesn't want to lose. Windows Phone has a small marketshare that Google is apparently fine with losing.

SocalTouch says:

How about making sure Chrome stops working on every Windows desktop after next set of Windows Update!

FearL0rd says:

Make Chrome slow pathing the Windows OS

SEKKDS says:

I still say screw 'em. I wouldn't be surprised if Google is around the corner of releasing their own Android, Google-branded video messaging service of their own. It's probably near. But in the meantime, screw 'em.
Google = #pureevil

Google has become the Microsoft of the 90's... Time for the goverments of the world to start antitrust claims against Google. #googleassholes

That's it guys. This was the last drop. I will now officially end my business with any google service. I will never use any of its services from now on.

AgentSplurge says:

'Where to now?'
Did a fellow welsh man write this?

Armada says:

If Google keeps this up by the time I upgrade I might just swtich to Windows Phone and Microsoft's services to stick it too them. I know it's one drop in a giant ocean but this crap makes all the great stuff from Google I love feel really fake. As much as I love Android I won't stick with a Google that breaks the "no evil" policy.

SocalTouch says:

Microsoft does not have numbers in mobile to make a dent by removing their apps on android or removing google apps from windows phone. Where they dominate is desktop. Make Chrome break in the next set of windows update and Google will play ball!

zulu69 says:

Yup, that's a great idea. Block chrome from all versions of windows until it is rewritten in html5!!

That would learn them.

People can still use it on Chrome books (all .000000000000000001 % of people out there)

Seriously MS should throw their weight around. Block Chrome from windows, block gmail, youtube from IE because it isn't written in HTML 5. Just cut that crappy advertising company out.

rmichael75 says:

no blocking means it is open to law suit.. just introduce a bug or a virus which makes chrome dead slow and die in 2 minutes. or something like that..

semerdar34 says:

Well Deleted my Youtube app, Haven't used Google in a year and a half. Don't miss any of their products.

motosada says:

How annoying. People want to use your service, Google. What do you really have to lose by letting them? This is the same kind of crap we're getting from Instagram and Pintrest. Twits.

That's it for me for now on no more google fucking services!

billiam149 says:

Yeah this is bull shit im done with google. Fuck their YouTube I'll stick to the video apps I already have.

Metrotube is all we need..

Tragic says:

Microsoft should pull every app they developed for android. EVERY APP

johnblair7 says:

This is a bit pants, but to be fair the old mobile app on wp7 wasn't to bad, it was just so many videos were unavailable. I've got youtube on my Sony Blu ray player, a Tesco tv, Playbook, laptop etc. Still got metro tube on my 920. It will do until they both get their act together, had a youtube account using my hotmail account for years. I was given a gmail account but had never used it.I never knew I'd had any gmails until I bought my wife a galaxy tab 2. She isn't set up with email so I set it up has me then saw loads of mails from youtube and google, Haven't read them yet.

Just deleted chrome from my puter and having my Gmail forwarded to my outlook. I used to like google... Now its history for me. I have no issues dumping the two services I used from them. My partner has agreed to dump his android and get a Nokia 1020. I'm jealous.

AskaLangly says:

Myspace > Google+.

SEKKDS says:

Google = #pureevil

Carchathoth says:

"it does seem that Google here is behaving rather dishonestly."

LOL this must be a joke. Everyone knows, that Google itself is a dishonest company. It is a thief and spy. It uses "a stolen product" and offers it for free. Not everyone knows that Google tracks everything you do. Your whole life in internet will be saved and sold for anyone who is willing to pay for that information.
There is one fresh statement Google brainfarted out recently:
"Google: Email Users Can't Legitimately Expect Privacy When Emailing Someone On Gmail "

Choorp says:

Not sharing all the resources needed and then complaining that the app offers a "degraded experience" is a bit crazy of Google. I hope Google tells their side of the story so we can can see the full picture. Or they should just make the app themselves... That would work. Heh

I really can't see why anyone would think that google wouldn't take this sort of action. They are feeling superior to everyone out there right now, including the consumer. Any company that is arrogant enough to feel this way about the consumer (read article below) shouldn't have anyone's business. So glad I dumped gmail.

vladi says:

Its about time anti-trust laws hit the cyberspace. In other words you have a monopoly over video streaming service you have to make it available to everybody and every platform, you have a monopoly on email service you have to make it available to everybody to every platform and with the same experience accross the board. Same should go to Google, MS, Apple, etc.
As of right now Google could easily pull all their official YouTube apps and make it Android exclussive and Apple already is doing something like that with iTunes.

Fade_z says:

Google's motto: Don't be evil. Oh the irony

kennonk says:

You reap what you sew. I am just happy I lived to see the day when companies are doing to Microsoft what they did to everyone else in the market for so long. :-)

finnconor says:

MS should update Windows to include an ad blocker (that alsk blocks googles text ads). Make it so that it also offers to automatically install an ad blocker on any popular browser one might later install too. Then watch google squirm. I mean, I would reckon that 80%+ of googles advertisement revenue is generated through ads on windows computers. Hit google back where it hurts. Cite "a move to protect our customers privacy on our computer" or something like that.

Clint Finch says:

This plus a 1000. MS could easily put unbearable pressure on Google thru simple system and browser updates that would give users warning about their data  and privacy being at risk for any Google service they use.  Google would soon find out the bitch of the truth that MS owns the desktop.

stephen_az says:

It appears to be a banner week for Google.  They start it by acknowledging in legal depositions that gmail users do not have a reasonable expectation to email privacy (as in Google violations not NSA). Now it looks like they will end it by re-engaging in the anti-competitive practices that had them put on notice by the courts last year.

Manny C says:

I can't believe Google is being this stupid.

IN5TIGATOR says:

Ms, just launch a competitor to YouTube. The end.

realwarder says:

HTML5 is just not up to the job.  Google are demanding an inferior experience if they are demanding that.  That is anticompetitive.  There is a reason apps exist.

Started moving my Google App accounts to Microsoft today... they finally pushed me over the edge.  All the changes to gmail, adding promotion tabs etc. just add to the desire to leave.

Once a Google evangelist, now a Google antagonist.

kingofcoffee says:

Apparently ms is an honest company lately?wow this is news..like calling the kettle. Black.or something.

DJCBS says:

How long will Microsoft keep their sissy-attitude? Jesus Christ, you have a legal team...USE IT!

Lame... Even in Chrome on desktop, YouTube does not run fully in HTML5. All videos with ads are shown in Flash. So clearly an impossible task for Microsoft to provide an app without  "degraded experience"

zulu69 says:

You know what i jsut did. I just changed my default search engine from Google to Bing. I can't believe i did that - i NEVER care about companies (i.e. i'm not loyal to any) but this behaviour made me think twice about using any of google's services.
Good job Google, you were my default search engine for >10 years!! (previous was altavista), thnaks for making me make the switch to bing.

SDKevin says:

Its time for MS to retaliate. Block everything Google from installing on PC's.

So, Google gives Microsoft "permission" to finally have a proper YouTube app only to pull the rug out from under them to make them look bad.

mayur89 says:

Fuck u google!!!!! Bastards!!

Danar Jabbar says:

google every day push me to drop my Samsung galaxy to the toilet and get a nokia lumia 925 screw you google

K3NCentral says:

... just block all Google services on all windows platforms and leave them with their shitty android devices...

crazygonzo says:

Google is really starting to piss me off but all the news this year don't bode well for Windows. It's those small standard basic things that are scaring people off, when you take into consideration everything it looks bad for this platforms future.

wshwe says:

Once again Google is being both anti-competitive and anti-consumer. Maybe Larry Ellison was correct.

jdawgnoonan says:

You know, I used to love Google because they were the company that supported all platforms. Windows, Mac, Linux....they were there. What happened?

Fuck you, Google. I'm just about done with YouTube at this point.

HarisA1 says:

I tweeted to those fuckers too smh

This only solidifies my decision to get out of the iOS and google ecosystems and into windows and wp. I'm deleting my google accounts ASAP.

kc77 says:

I love the windows OS on my phone, but once I get my upgrade, I don't know if I'll be keeping it. Its a great platform for phones but its just becoming too much of a hassle not being able to do things that I can very easily do on an iPhone. I will not be getting an android phone if I do end up switching though.

I am on the same boat as you.
Android is a big joke, so no questions theere... I love WP, but with all these tirades from competition, the pains of being an early adopter is becoming more and more manifest. iOS suddenly become even more stable than it already is. Congrats, Tim Cook!

HarisA1 says:

That would be pretty cool if all google services got blocked on pc's hahaha I'm not really a part of the google eco system either way i only use YouTube

toph36 says:

I figured that Microsoft forgot to do something, obviously not the case. Google are real SOBs. Shame on them for forcing Microsoft hand and pulling this garbage. Microsoft probably should have just put out the press release without re-releasing the app, but having Google block the app obviously made for a bigger news story and makes Google look bad. I was never a big Google supporter, I never setup a Gmail account or anything, and I don't really use YouTube much directly, but I am done with them.

I love it how google said trust us with your information and everything should be open for everyone. I'm happy Microsoft is making more on android then google is. I hope people start realize how full of sh.. Google is.

Josh Harman says:

Take to twitter with @Microsoft @msftnews and @windowsphone against @google. #donoevil
Lets make a scene.

Ushae says:

Its very obvious why Google is manufacturing these hollow requirements. They genuinely see MS as a threat and will do everything in their power to prevent any growth from them in the smartphone market. If MS gathers momentum Google knows they're fucked.

SocalTouch says:

Apple has a grip on the high end smartphone market, MS has a firm grip on the desktop and enterprise market. Now Nokia and WP seem to be going after the low to mid smartphone market, something that was previously android's bread and butter. Google sees MS as threat with the full ecosystem of devices, services and software that MS offers.

Come to think of it, YouTube is Google's only weapon against Microsoft.
I mean, Microsoft products are now way better than the Google products we all had in the past (take Outlook.com's premium-feeling webmail to Gmail for instance).

ddartman7 says:

Don't be evil!  Ha... There's a load if ever there was.

UnnDunn says:

Since Google clearly doesn't want me to use their YouTube product, I have decide to block YouTube.com on my router. Seems fair.

Th3 I3LooD says:

Looks like Microsoft is now getting Scroogled... LOL... but seriously, Google is really behaving like children! it begs the question... why? Could it be fear of a soon to be very competitive opponent??... mmmm

MaulerX says:

It's really looking like Google are Scroogling themselves. They'll eventually be an official, working Youtube app on Windows Phone. By hook or by crook. Google are really just looking like assess for delaying the inevitable. And then all would ask, wtf did they gain by it??

trmnrs says:

YouTube letting Google buy them was probably the dumbest shit they could have ever followed through with. They really haven't benefitted the platform at all IMHO

sjb123mk2 says:

This is OUTRAGEOUS !!!!

I've wanted to do it for years but this finally gave my the guts too. Google account for YouTube deleted. Free at last! Free at last!

MaulerX says:

What an embarrassment Google. At first it seemed like fair game tactics. Now, your making yourself look more and more despicable the more lame excuses you come up with. Seriously, WTF is going on?? The feds need to step in and slap them with an antitrust before it's too late.

CommonBlob says:

Surely this cross' monopoly line. Certainly in the EU this is questionable and MS have been stung for less.

Wael Hasno says:

Burn Google. I hate you so much right now.. I use Chrone for my p0rn sessions (don't want to degrade my classy IE) but it seems I'm switching to Opera now! All kidding aside though, fuck you. I don't like swearing but this is ridiculous..

_X_ says:

Microsoft never works well with others yet expects everyone else to comply.
Unfortunately the users suffer, but ms crying fowl is pure hypocrisy. MS has always bent the rules, threw out standards, and played hardball with competitors. This is nothing more than a song and dance.

Yep. Sad but true.

Josh Harman says:

Go back to your Droid site.

Last I checked, Microsoft products work near universally.

If you can't see the fault of Google here, then you are too blinded by your fandom.

_X_ says:

I've never used a DROID, in fact my first smartphone was a windows phone, you know what they say when you assume you make an ASSout of you.

That said Microsoft products don't work well universally they work well on their platform and sort of on an other platforms. Not only that their halo apps only work for the xbox and windows

Josh Harman says:

What Halo apps, you mean the single game Spartan assault? HALO Waypoint is available for both iPhone and Android. Either way, that is a completely different matter.
If a Microsoft product isn't working well on another platform then its probably that platforms fault.
Microsoft apps are often better with more features on iPhone & Android, case in point - Skype.
You would have to be blind or ignorant to not see Google's fault in this situation.

mwright53 says:

Fuck google. Closed my accounts year ago

jm5001 says:

So first Google just told Microsoft to take down their app because it had too many features and too few ads, which is dickish but not altogether odd, and now that they've collaborated on the new app, Google has rendered it useless just to irritate Microsoft (especially when they didn't comply with their counterproductive demands)? This has crossed the line from anti-competitive tendencies to full-on corporate bullying. Get bent, Google.

Jesse Harmon says:

be aware the m.youtube mobile site  still works for my 1020

amcalexandre says:

+1020 = FUCK GOOGLE !!!!!!! :-P

chad08er says:

Already deleted the YouTube app from my phone, and my Gmail account:)

magik_man says:

Lots of folks commenting on here about there not being another service like YouTube. I have seen mention of DailMotion. What about Vimeo? Of Viddler?
As important as Goog is to tech advancements / R&D, etc., there is LOTS OF LIFE TO BE HAD WITHOUT THEM.
I have also seen folks comment that there is even a YouTube app for BB10. Just curious - anyone know if it is just a port of the Android app?
Anyway, BOO GOOGLE, and please MSFT - PLEASE - keep your head. Don't retaliate and get into a PR nightmare with the general public. There are still sooo many tech consumers that have no clue - they just know / use what they hear is good or they can get for cheap, and I gotta say - there is waaay too much anti-Microsoft press out there.
Let's go MSFT... don't lose momentum with the WP platform!

rysliv says:

It would be nice if someone would remove those stupid web wrapper apps clouding the view of any decent apps that don't run solely through a web frame. You'd get people using these stupid apps that are just a shortcut to m.youtube.com versus using something decent like metrotube.

Well damn.  I never knew MS went through so much trouble for us.  Thank you Microsoft!  This app, while a failure, does show that you care about us.  Also sticking myTube in the future.

Josh Harman says:

Funny how the fandroids come out of the wood work to try and turn the tables.

Microsoft should take off the skype from google play. Just saying.
I'll stop to use Chrome, Internet Explorer is now good  enough for use.
And in the 8.1 IE8 has synchrony of favorites, so it's enough for me, I don't use extensions, so it simply.

lancguy says:

I never liked google...ever. Any company that touts so loudly about doing no evil immediately sounds off alarms for me. Google was never about being a kind and friendly company, it a pr ploy that worked very well.

I never liked google search, I always seemed to get more spam in my Gmail account, google maps was ok, and never really used any other service from them. You can't tell me the google doesn't favor sites over others. And it really bothers me that google tracks everything I do on their services and the sells that info.

The funny thing is Microsoft got in to huge trouble with the EU because it didn't offer a customer a list of browser options when windows was installed. Which was really stupid considering Microsoft never blocked installation of other browsers. And lets not forget the whole windows 98/me mess here in the us. Microsoft has done some shady things in the past, but they never outright blocked an application.

So far google has been made if Teflon, nothing has stuck yet, they already got off with a handslap from the EU. But, I suspect this will soon change.

NH3MAN says:

Google's Evil! Apple is Greedy! And MS is just Stupid!.... Nuff Said!

fdruid says:

This is so pathetic, I can't believe Google is still doing this kind of crap. I can't stand it. We should boycott them and drop all of their services altogether. It was indeed bad news when they bought YouTube. Google is the cancer in todays technology world.

aliencatos says:

Microsoft should do the same to scroogle...

block outlook.com to all chrome broswer... ask google to make a lot of change to there broswer and then, ask for more...

and why not, blocking all android device form using skyp...

if Microsoft play the same game, Scroogle mith understand some day..

SocalTouch says:

That is not the best way to get at them. The best way is to make Chrome break in the next set of security patches. Ask them to write Chrome using JavaScript app that runs inside IE to get Microsoft approval!

THE_Lawnboy says:

Sue the hell out of the bastards!!!!!

FearL0rd says:

Google shows everybody that they are OpenSource, etc... but they are they real EVIL trying to be a Angel in front of Apple and Microsoft. Lying to the customers...

FearL0rd says:

MIcrosoft should patch windows to Make Chrome SLOWWWWW as hell.

Voxophone says:

Microsoft needs to break all of Google's apps/products on Windows (maybe just for 24 hours). Show 'em that Google needs Microsoft to survive. Kill all their stuff on Windows, again, maybe not permanently, but just for a little while. Until they cave...

Voxophone says:

Wow... I actually had some respect for Google up until yesterday (when they killed the app). Fuck 'em.

Eric_J says:

I'm sorry but I have to blame MS for this one. The app worked great right before Google had a fit. They were pissed because it was the best YouTube app on any platform. That's the version I had. Then came the update. Revert the damn thing back to when Google started crying. Then sabotage the Google PC search engine and make everyone use Bing. Lets sit back and watch like they do us.

I use Windows Phone and Windows 8, but taking sides with Microsoft over Google? Not happening, at least not in this case. I have Gmail and a YouTube account. I have not been Scroogled. Microsoft, on the other hand, is Scroogling itself purple with delusional advertising, and now they want a functional official YouTube app? It's going to be a while. Google is in no hurry.

FearL0rd says:

Scroogling deal is more them proved...

Stop freaking using YouTube altogether.

bziggy91 says:

I believe when this first started Google said they haven't programmed one for Windows Phone because there aren't enough users... But apparently a 0.0002% market share is enough for them to keep programming for Chrome OS.

Nik Rolls says:

Uh, wut?

First, Windows Phone doesn't run HTML5 apps natively, which I'm sure Google know (and this is probably the reason they chose this specifically). Sure you can use Phonegap or something similar, but I'm sure (educated speculation) that Google would have an issue with those too.

Second, HTML5 experiences are 99% of the time largely inferior to native experiences (again, I'm sure this was also a factor in requesting it). They just don't work, and HTML5 is still a long way from being a viable development platform for high quality mobile apps (I speak from experience).

Lastly, where in Google's developer ToS does it state that an app must be built in HTML5? They even offer non-HTML5 libraries (albeit none in C#). They can't revoke a developer key unless the ToS have been violated, hence why they have given the vague issue of 'some videos don't play ads' which sounds intentionally vague as to slow down any resolution as much as possible.

lesd777 says:

I don't need no stupid YouTube

Bless me, father, for I have sinned.
I read the AndroidCentral post about this hoping they'd have something on Google's reply (I got nada). Then I scrolled through the comments section and could not contain myself, so I JUST HAD TO COMMENT TOO. Now, I feel as if I have opened the gates to hell.
#notetoself: NEVER POST ON ANDROIDCENTRAL AGAIN.

paraesthetic says:

Fuck Google. They have become the new apple of the internet. Don't be evil, sure Google sure. I hope they choke to death

monotheist says:

All Microsoft needs to do is block Google Ads on Windows PCs for a month and watch them burn.

Epic Pie says:

Seriously, coded in HTML5?! What's going to be different from watching from I.E and watching from the app??? This is insane.

ltjordan24 says:

Microsoft needs to go back and re-release the older version of the youtube app (the one that they voluntarily pulled a few months back) that blocked the ads and allowed users to download the videos until Google stops acting like a little bitch.

ejlee072006 says:

Google is JEALOUS.. I wonder if Samsung,apple have something to do with this..
Ok I know that most people are aware of YouTube app problem on WP, but that shouldn't stop people from buying a WP.. Hahahaha
Download metro tube its a lot better than the MSFT created.. Ad free

allibarbara says:

Thats why I hate google...Its like Hitler is reborn in the form of google founders...They block anybody who's making money or is ambitious.they ruin and sabotage small company by imposing thier own rules and criteria,let alone big companies..this is how cheap they are..

summer600 says:

For me, Lumia900 wp7.8 none of the YouTube apps seem to work. I normally use Metrotube with limited success and it stopped now just as the MS Youtube app, and TubePro also refuses to play video. Only the mobile website seems to work.

sd4f says:

I moved from android to windows phone because google was giving me the shits, and now, they're still haunting me!

volcane2004 says:

I won't forget how petulant they are acting. If I ever have to leave Windows Phone, I will choose an iPhone over an Android handset.

pick Firefox or Sailfish. Go from one evil to another evil is no good either

damien-tt says:

I use Youtube. There are things that I like and dislike about it. However, I am a Windows Phone user. I am not going to get upset that Google has blocked the Microsoft developed Youtube app from functioning on my platform. That is their choice to do so. I am a consumer and I also have choices. I will just find another service that works for me on my chosen mobile platform. However, it is downright sad when your competitior offers a genuine helping hand to promote your product to the consumers on their platform and you turn around and block them. Strong message sent there. We don't need you and we aren't concerned about our users on your platform. Then...to Microsoft....maybe you need to work with other companies interested in users of your mobile platform? Vimeo...dailymotion....etc? Just my cent and a half. :)

Very interesting to see the way Google treats their customers. Quick shocking really.
I hope this influences people to decide whether to use Google's software at home, school and office.  Seems to me they just plain can't be trusted.  Then again, we all already knew that.

Jazmac says:

I say return the favor on the desktop.  UNLOAD GOOGLE CHROME. And get to the hidden crap they install as well.
In Windows XP it will be installed in
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome
Local Settings folder is a hidden folder, to see hidden folder go to tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> and make sure show hidden files and folders is checked.
In Windows Vista it will be installed in

C:\Users\UserName\AppDataLocal\Google\Chrome
AppDataLocal folder is a hidden folder, to see hidden folder go to tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> and make sure show hidden files, folders and drives is checked.
In Windows 7 it will be installed in
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google
AppData folder is a hidden folder, to see hidden folder go to tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> and make sure show hidden files, folders and drives is checked.

safeer2222 says:

Only live video section is Working. google- idoits.

lovebill says:

They will make me use bing ffs... I hate Google cause they punish WP users not MS. Microsoft was only try a here and now solution and Google proved they are douchebags

Kawikz920 says:

What happened to the good old days when you could run your Microsoft products with Google services just fine? This is fucking stupid. Nice try Microsoft, Fuck you google.

Yeah... Google can kiss my ass. We're moving all of our private domains away from gmail and google docs, and over to Microsoft. I refuse to buy ANY Android ANYTHING. And the new Google Maps?  What a bloody POS!!!  HATE IT!!!
Remember when Microsoft and Bill Gates were the bane of the world? Now Microsoft allows and even encourages "hacking" of Windows smartphones, while Google and Apple sue anyone and everyone.

Bill Gates is now one of the world's greatest philanthropists. Apple and Google are now the shameless greedy bastards.

I think we're all forgetting recent history here.
Wasn't it Microsoft who went after *every single* Android OEM with patent infringement suits, like the neighborhood mob enforcer visiting a local business establishment?

Rubios says:

Look who's 90's Microsoft now...

it'shappening.gif.exe

karthikt94 says:

Google with all its philantrophic balloon internet shit, can't allow another company to develop a good app. That's BS.
No more using Google from now on, only Bing. This is war people.

palnew says:

Fuck google!!!

kc77 says:

Google said Microsoft hasn't made the upgrades necessary for the app... Sounds to me like they want Chrome on windows phones.

stuartbritt says:

Am I missing something here? How come MetroTube can deliver functionality that Microsoft doesn't seem to be allowed to?

SwimSwim says:

Just when I thought we could all be friends...

We just got Scroogled.

Its a Ego war Now between these two company... and we are paying for this.

gabrelov says:

They want to kill windows phone and ms themselves who for the first place led them to popularity. Greedy they are one day they fall. MS is willing to offer xbox and office to non wp users and yet others are just unfair.

pr0phecy says:

I'll keep saying it: Google sux arse.

TheRevMikeS says:

Personally don't use Google, G+, Docs, Drive, Voice, Chrome or any other G product because of their autocratic attitude toward users: Google : "We'll share your info with anyone we see fit" "We don't care a fig about Windows Phone users, because Android must succeed at all costs". The latter attitude merits regulatory action at the anti-trust level...

waynejk says:

Google should change its company motto to "Be Evil." It's much more accurate.

scdkad says:

MS should pull the plug on Skype for andriod.

I would love to pull an update, which would block all G on Windows

smoledman says:

Maybe Microsoft should make their cloud services in search & video better so that Windows Phone users do not feel compelled to use Google? Nokia HERE maps are almost as good as Google Maps & Navigation, so that's taken care of. But Bing is not even close to being as good as Google Search and Youtube literally has no competition. Google is going to strangle the life out of Windows Phone if they can.

Ankit Verma2 says:

Fuck you joojel...

Huge disappointment from both companies. It should be about making the users happy, but no they are all acting like children. Same as in the patent war.

Nejcooo says:

Google is mad because microsoft let us watch youtube vids without ads.

Scroogled ads?
Going after Android OEMS with patent infringement suits?
I mean, really, come on.   For Microsoft to cry now about unfair tactics is a bit absurd and hypocritical.

MaMojo says:

The Scroogled ads might leave a slightly bad taste in the mouth but they do make important points that the majority of the public are sadly unaware of. As for paying for patents, why should Google be treated differently than anyone else? If I was to launch a product that used someone elses intellectual property I would expect to pay for it.
Microsoft are far from perfect but Google are just plain evil.

rakeshrai says:

I think if Microsoft wants this turn things around they need to wake up and smell the coffee. They need to work harder and make WP an undeniably awesome platform for users and developers. They need to address all the shortcomings and pay attention to their eco system and not just the competitor's. Eventually things will fall in place,.

ruhdiar says:

I don't know what to say, i thought google were not this evil. Perhaps it's the right time to say FUCK GOOGLE!!

MrWhiteman says:

Microsoft should block Google from Windows OS. Goodbye google.

klose91 says:

Well, as a result of this bitching around I'll use Bing as my primary search engine. I don't want a company tell me what plattform I should use, to use their shit 'cause they make it unsable on one plattform, even thought I could use the Internet Explorer to watch videos there, but the app is 100x times better than the shit mobile site of YouTube. But thought I can't give up on YouTube, 'cause there's nothing which could really replace it, which is sad.

Makes me even more determined to never own an Android phone or anything google. They obviously don't give a shit about other platform users. I've got better things to do other than look at YouTube anyway. Goodbye Gmail...

alman650 says:

I have an android tablet and now I'm going to use it as a Frisbee for my cat. That's right, my cat. That shows you how useless I think Google is. Screw them.

Pages