Verizon is delivering new firmware for Lumia Icon owners using 8.1 Preview for Developers

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 635 going on sale in Singapore on Saturday

Nokia releases new ad showing off the Lumia Amber software update

Nokia has released a short film to show off some of the new features included in the Amber update which is currently rolling out to customers. Bundled with Windows Phone 8 GDR2 from Microsoft, Nokia has been able to add numerous enhancements and improvements to features and functionality boasted by Lumia hardware.

We've gone into some detail as to what's available in both updates, so be sure to check out our previous coverage. Should you require reminding, Windows Phone 10327 (GDR2) is a minor OS update that brings FM radio, some enhancements to Xbox Music, WAV file playback for voicemail, fixed Other storage, and other minor bug fixes in addition to enabling the new hardware found in the Lumia 1020.

Nokia’s bundled Amber update (highlighted in the above video), which is what is causing the delays for release, allows the new Glance screen, flip to silence, Lumia Color Profile and an improved camera experience, making the combo of an update quite interesting for consumers. So who's getting the Amber update? See below:

Lumia Amber

It's worth noting the Lumia 625, Lumia 925 and Lumia 1020 are not listed because GDR2 and Amber are both pre-loaded. If you're yet to receive the update, head on over to Settings > Phone Update and hit "Check for updates" to see if you're next in line. Nokia has stated they expect to have the update rolled out successfully by the end of September so don't freak out if you've not yet got the notification.

Source: YouTube; thanks, Toxid_Fox, for the tip!

Comments

ArgonNJ#CB says:

Who cares. Find a way to increase the battery life of the 920, so it doesn't die after 8 hours and I;ll be impressed.

kinaton says:

I was 800 user until i complained, 920 gives me a day usage.

rhouyourboat says:

What happens to Motion Focus on phones with no OIS?   :/

Aryan Angel says:

They picked some really scary looking people for the ad o.o

WPUser111 says:

All india lumia 820 users.. Update ur phone nw.. The roll out has startd...

Aryan Angel says:

Holy-- wait, I dont have an 820... :(

GregAllen says:

US 820 and still no update ATT.

xrs22 says:

I have some for my 928 through Verizon but nothing t the glance feature yet.

ianalderson says:

U.K. = awaiting approval, thought the uk was a big market for windows phone, surely these should be pushed through.

ianalderson says:

Now says "Coming Soon" things are a changing - I live in hope for a notification soooon.

JoRdaNeK says:

Lumia 720 UK O2 BOOM!!!!!......*nothing* :(

IceDree says:

That Camera app is cool & might come in real handy, well done Nokia ... Still I don't regret buying an HTC.

NikLumWP8 says:

Why does the video above is blank (black box) and can't be seen the video above by touching it? I use Internet Explorer from Lumia 520.

jwinch2 says:

Its cool that they got Shawn White's weird looking brothre to do the commercial.

farzanx says:

I was going through the Software Update Availbility page for the 1000th time to check about my update and I couldn't help not noticing "Availalable" in India section. Seriously? Does Nokia type these stuff by hand?? and doesn't even care about the typo?

ATT f***ed up royally with this.

And here we go again. News of a firmware/software update finds its way onto the internet and all the sad Billy-no-mates take to their keyboards to type up the usual boring whining bull shit. Good grief, just get a life already.

GregAllen says:

Sir, your opinion is as egotistical as a jock in the woman's locker room

Thanks for that very insightful comment

WPUser111 says:

All india lumia 820 users.. Update ur phone nw.. The roll out has startd...

Deadnight85 says:

Lumia 920 in Finland, downloading now...

anky17cool says:

Got it for my lumia 820..download in progress..india..

Can someone help me? I got the Amber update on my 521 but it won't let me download nokias smart cam... Is it not available? Nokia Lumia 521 on T-mobile

Nokia smart cam isn't available for the 521.

DalekSnare says:

AT&T customers are trashing the ratings of the new Nokia apps because they think they have the latest version so they don't understand the "update required" message.

MooCoo says:

Omg, just downloading in Finland, L920!

Silent Night says:

No 822? It better come out for my 822! My phone is crippled from the other storage bug. Other storage fills 10gbs and apps like Shrink Storage and Storage Cleaner don't work for me. Earlier posts said it was coming out for the 822 but this one doesn't mention it.

MyNL822 says:

Try things like reset and stuff to make sure cache is clear, and that is extreme 10gbs is a lot.

I'm staggered. I'm a long service award Nokia buyer. To waste time and money on an advert like this is a disgrace. I'd understand if this advert was by Microsoft. I could then get my frustration of windows 8 phone ownership and its many shortcomings fully vented. My Lumia 720 via Virgin mobile in the UK may get Amber update by the end September (2013. Though it might be the following September? Lol). An update? It's shocking that the bulk of the update is more about FEATURES THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN INTEGERAL FROM THE F.....G START! I am flabbergasted and exasperated! I have had Nokia phones for their innovation and post aeroplane crash toughness and sturdy OS performance for the last 13 years. 3 months ownership of my Lumia 720 and I still have sadness of not selling my soul and getting an Iphone or more importantly an android (poorly based OS on the unsurpassed Symbian). I can't wait to see my therapist this week! ARRRRRGGHHHH!

wpguy says:

Heard the faint sirens at the end of the video and figured it was an ambulance for to pick up the unhelmeted bike dude who was hit because he didn't have proper lights on his bike.

KJKirby says:

I wouldn't get too excited about the Amber update. I've had it since end of May and it completely trashed my bluetooth connection in my car. When I raised it with Nokia they asked me if my car was compatible !! Well it had been for the previous year !! Nokia tell me there is no way to fix this and no way to uninstall the Amber update !! That's simply not acceptable. I do not expect to lose functionality when processing an update.  Its a huge shame because I was a massive fan of the Lumia 920 and Windows 8, but frankly I'd rather NOT have the Amber update and have my phone work in the car !! I can live without Amber until Nokia fix the problem and bring out another update.....

H3rve says:

Got my update this evening!!! Nokia Lumia 920, Vodacom, South Africa. Boy oh boy!!! Waited a long time for this, its brilliant, its well done. Double tap!!

Trinidad please =(

payam.ace says:

heyy this video is taken in my neighborhood in Helsinki :)

What about my 822?

vvinayakpai says:

I have a query!!!!!!! I was under the impression that SMart Bluetooth (Bluetooth4.0) is coming for Nokia Lumia 720 (India) Series. Is that not the case???? Can we expect Bluetooth 4.0/ SMart on Lumia 720 (India) series anytime soon?

Eas195 says:

It's so weird. SmartCam is already available in the store, even for Lumias with non-GDR2 installed, while the update says it will be available on GDR2...

EDIT: As soon as I tried the app, Smart Cam notifies me to update the phone first, before using the app. Shame.

NokiaIntern says: