6tag for Windows Phone

6tag, the first Instagram client for Windows Phone with video upload support and more, is now available

Tonight, Rudy Huyn’s long awaited Instagram client 6tag has gone live in the Windows Phone Store. The app, which was recently renamed from 6tagram due to copyright issues, is the first 100% API compliant Instagram app for Windows Phone 8 devices (Windows Phone 7.x support is expected later).

The app is a free download with in-app purchases to remove ads ($1.29) and to enable optional video uploads ($1.49), though users get one-free upload to test the experience. The app, loosely based off of Huyn’s other work, 6Sec (for Vine), features the same easy to use design along with every feature that Instagram offers, plus more.

6tag screens

Features of 6tag for Windows Phone 8

• 100% original filters: XPro-II, Earlybird, Rise, Amaro, Hudson, Lo-fi, Sutro, Toaster, Brannan, Inkwell, Walden, Hefe, Nashville, 1977, and others.
  • Video recording with cut scenes
  • Linear and Radial Tilt-Shift blur effects for extra depth of field.
  • Instant sharing to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr and Foursquare, VK
  • Unlimited picture uploads
  • geotag your posts
  • Interact with friends through giving & receiving likes and comments
  • Front & Back camera support
  • And much much more...

In addition, the app has a Live Tile with counter for notifications and Lens support to quickly snap and upload an image to the Instagram network.

6tag screens

The app is not official or endorsed by Instagram though they did clear the name and any potential copyright issues beforehand, ensuring that the app won’t be removed for any future claims. The app uses a reversed engineered API to access the Instagram network, though Instagram is evidently looking the other way on this matter despite it technically violating their terms of service.

Head to the Store to download 6tag now for your Windows Phone 8 device (including 512MB phones). Free (with optional in-app purchases). Thanks, everyone, for the tips!

QR: 6tag

Comments

Akshay15033 says:

this app is utterly gorgeous , not that i didnt enjoy instance , but 6tag is way beautiful , 6sec and 6tag are more awesome than

Manny C says:

Can't wait to check it out!

BK-one says:

Rudy got my 1.29. Didn't even hesitate. Well done.

MrHeckles85 says:

Does anyone have an news on how and if the "suspicious" accounts become unsuspicious again if you just wait? Daniel? ;)

BK-one says:

All of a sudden, I feel an urge to put on a #45 Notre Dame football jersey...

Wael Hasno says:

App looks awesome. Not an instagram user but I will be buying and using this.

HaibaneReki says:

I'm actually tempted to open an account for the first time :)

iasyraf says:

got the app , lucky to be on WP :D !

find me on 6tag , username - iasyraf .

AtOmIc031 says:

Waiting for wp7.x version of this. Hopefully it will come out soon :)

Fndlumia says:

Onya Rudy great job and free! Would of paid to support your work, bet there will still be bitches saying there's no official app cry cry. This and instance are better than the official app anyway

Duduosf says:

"this is fucking awesome"

SoullessOnyx says:

Great app! Really loving it.

arbetaren says:

Bought. But i wish that Tile and in-app colors would follow my current accent/color theme on the phone. Should make the home screen look better.

dargod says:

That might be weird question...but how can I actually LIKE someones picture?

dargod says:

cheers budy, realized that just after I posted ;)

SleepyTheDon says:

The tutorial in the beginning shows you

Double tap or swipe right or left for additional options.

uopjo6 says:

Used half a day. Flawless app.
One gripe would be the battery drains like a champ too. But I'm pretty sure it will be resolved with a update.
Oh and being able to reply directly to a comment would be great.

Otherwise perfect and I love it more than the official app on my old iP4.

If it is really better than the official app from ios...that is huge. That will convince a lot of the young crowd that one of their favorite apps has a better experience. Big win for windows phone.

pmich says:

Is there a way to 'like' a video without having to flip the pic/video over?

FCone says:

What a truly beautiful design.

scottygb2k says:

Loving the app, however phone gets really hot and it eats the battery on my L920. Hopefully fixed with future update.
Once question though, is there any way to share a video you have already recorded? I can record videos in the app and upload but how about ones you already have saved in your library? Is this a limitation of the OS not allowing acces to video library. Resolved with GDR2 by any chance?

Duduosf says:

That's a really good question. Didn't notice that until now. Maybe it's an app limitation, probably due to be fixed in future updates? I hope so...

ZuNuKoo says:

When I first downloaded this app it had 400 reviews, that was only 7 hours ago. Now it has over 1100, that's the fastest I've seen an app go up in reviews. All of them are 5 stars too. This app is worth it though.

KKRLessey says:

Great app, great developer. Add me @kkrlessey

Nickkk101 says:

Question: how does the live tile get the picture background? I've had the double wide since the download this morning but not seeing the pic(s) behind the tile like in the advertised screenshot. Any tips on that?

arbetaren says:

Same prob here

mtav1 says:

Daniel, is that a stop&shop app that I see? I need that. Please tell me how you got it, I cant find it in the store.

Credo93 says:

Thanks Rudy! Please go and follow me!  @dgcsg

Been waiting for this app since i bought my phone.

But here in Norway i cant seem to find the app in the app store.
Same goes for 6sec app, i've been searching for it the last week and only today it showed up on my search.
Maybe Norwegian app store has some sort of restriction on apps? if so... very "smart" move of microsoft

pmich says:

if you have the "wpcentral" app on your phone, try navigating to this article there and then swiping once to the right to get to the "more" tab and click on download app.

I didn't find the app in the store either but through wpcentral i can get access to it!

Thank you, very much! That actually worked :)

JellymanEN says:

Hei grunnen til at 6sec ikke var i storen var at Rudy Huyn hadde satt den som skjult i påvente av en oppdatering, og grunnen til at 6tag ikke vistes (vises forsåvidt nå) er en treghet i oppdatering av storen som gjør at det tar noen timer før en app kommer i alle regioner etter release ;-)  Håper dette forklaree litt.

mikey2toes says:

Thanks rudy for all your hard work and dedication to the app its fantastic i love it. Five stars.

6tag is gorgeous.. from the time the app launches to the layout and feel.

Duduosf says:

Been waiting forever for this app! Simply perfect! Now let's move on to 6tube, shall we, Mr. Rudy?

pmich says:

Soo happy to have Tagging.  I do have the say that the app is battery draining like crazy so far.  20% in about 30 minutes :(

Awesome. All I need now is some decent Dropbox and GTD (here's hoping for Wunderlist to come back) apps and I'll be totally happy

kmvp says:

for some strange reason keep gettin the reset passward notification. any help would be great. wanna have the awesome experience everybody else is having :(

HyperKid says:

New to this so guys follow me and I'll also follow back
unknown_creation
cheers

Montpbm says:

By by Instance.. :)

EMyvett says:

Having an issue linking twitter with two step authentication enabled. Anyone having the same issue?

tcadbury says:

Turn off two factor authentication. Connect. Then turn it back on.

BK-one says:

Many of you may already have noticed this but, if you take a picture, go to the picture, choose edit, 6tag is an option. THAT IS COMPLETELY AWESOME. this guy has done alot of thinking about this app.

BK-one says:

A suggestion for the battery drain complaints. I am on a 1020. I have read before about not have more than 6 apps running with background updates. Take a look at that.

Also try rebooting the phone, when was the last time u done that?

My phone was on 100% at 6:45 this am and right now its 9:40 and my battery is at 78%. I watched several podcasts that added up to over 15 mins and normal app uses like 6tag and Bing news,weather and sports. Sent a couple of texts.

SleepyTheDon says:

Rudy Huyn has set a standard. If Instagram decides to come officially then they have their work cut out for them.

AWESOME!! Its better than the Android and Ios version. We love u Rudy

horbeme says:

so u have to pay $2.80 to upload video and take off ads? why 2 prices and not just one

bassnet422 says:

Look in the FAQ section.. Rudy explains it very clearly.

tcadbury says:

Bravo! Instagram should simply white label this

WinFan1 says:

Add me @Ajsanchez77

tcprodigy says:

Great app. loving it. but my push notifications and tile count dont work. Lockscreen notifications only appear if i open the app first then lock the screen.
Like that there'e a notification counter at the top tho, so now i dont have to keep swiping to the left (instance) to see if something's new

Any idea of launching this app for windows 7.x. Please launch this app.

EJP86 says:

This is excellent.

Sarang68 says:

Need help here. One of them downloaded it but got this error while signing up. Please help.

I am not able to sign up its saying the email m using is an open proxy

madthoughts says:

Very solid. I'm loving it. Although, I'd love a button or gesture to jump back to the top.

pattayo_ib says:

Just push the 6tag icon to jump to the top! :)

mics_kiss18 says:

yey, i can now continue with my photo sessions..hehehe, please follow me on 6tag mics_kiss18..

raycpl says:

+920... just got it.. nice, neat and a joy to use

OstiPosti says:

Does anyone know how to "tag" people?  I see the tag icon in the back of the picture but when I tap on the picture the "who's this?" thing pops up but I don't know how to add the names....

Biwy2 says:

Yeah, tap on the person, and you should be able to start typing their instagram username when it askes, "Who's this?"

Biwy2 says:

The app is amazing! Just need a snapchat one next!

DMuela says:

Awesome! Works perfectly! finally i have an account on instagram :D! jiji

Arsenic17 says:

Loving this. I never got videos to play by themselves or at all in instance. And also the live tile for me in instance never worked. I know I had it set right. This app the live tile is already working. Nice work I love the user interface. A little sluggish IMO though.

Only complaint,,,Why had a large tile if it doesnt do anything but show the same logo as the small tile?

MyThIc3LiTe says:

A big thank you to developers who pick up the slack of multi-billion dollars companies.
How these guys have failed to see that there is clearly a strong demand for such apps on our platform is beyond me. Its rather shocking.
I'm glad the 3rd party exists to do what others won't, can't or are too slow to bring to market.

mtelism2 says:

If you put   #hashtag live tile on main screen,batery drains abnormaly....

Seems that the live tile doesn't show any numbers here for me... Not sure if im alone in this.

FredyFizzy says:

YES!!!!! LOVE THIS APP!

IG: FredyFizzy

I'm loving it. Another beautiful app from Rudy Hyun.

thetruth1960 says:

So far so good. Paid to remove ads right away. Not because the ads were bothering me, but b/c Rudy deserves the $1.29.
One thing that I did notice, and maybe this is just me, but in Instance if I do a search for "John Doe" user I can find him. In 6tag, it seems that I have to search for johndoe to find him. The problem with that is that I might know the person's first and last name but not his/her username. I guess for that I will continue to use Instance.

RaphaelChaia says:

In the menu, select "About": you'll have a feedback/suggestions tool there. Send this one to him :)

thetruth1960 says:

Good to know that it is not just me being blind and not finding the option. I will follow up with Rudy.

Mos Sincere says:

Such a beautiful app.. So glad its finally here!!!

Lumia 925

TJWINS says:

Does the $1.49 video purchase automatically remove ads or do we have to pay both $1.49 and $1.29 to have both video without ads?

JellymanEN says:

It is made so if you only want to remove ads pay $1,29 if you only want to upload video and don't care if there are ads, you can pay $1,49 (it comes up automatic after first video upload which is free) and if you want both video and ad free you have to pay both, I think its a small pay for such a great app.

revolvet says:

Where to buy $1.49. Tap at the ads, just show $1.29.

rselim says:

Great app. Beautiful. I just feel like it loses the windows touch. Tapping icons instead of swiping left to right is not how WP feels.

MikeSo says:

I don't think it goes overboard with it though, but there are certain aspects of it that could definitely be more WP influenced. That's what I liked about Instance.

ajftl says:

Just like the new fb is, Completely lost the WP left right swiping. at least 6tag have some left and right swiping.

MikeSo says:

Yep, it's smooth and works great, but lacks the WP feel.
You know what's funny? You could make an excellent Windows Phone Instagram app by modeling it directly on the WP Central app. :)

blessthejon says:

Great application. Microsoft should hire this guy.

nohra says:

Thank goodness! Maybe now my RSS feeds related to windows phone won't have tons of stories about how there's no good/approved Instagram app for WP.
I have no clue what the big deal about Instagram is, but apparently this has bothered a lot of people for a long time, so I'm  happy for that. If only there could be the same outcry for the lack of physical keyboards/bluetooth keyboards with WP8 maybe something would get done!

MikeSo says:

I only use instagram occasionally. I tries clicking on the hash tag #nasty in a post, but nothing shows. Works for all the other hash tags I've used. Does instagram censor out certain tags?

Looks great !!

Is there also an activity log (who commented on your photos, who liked photos, ....) ?

Paulo1300 says:

how is an app that required reverse engineering of the API, 100% API compliant? lol..

Toufic1234 says:

I want to pay for video uploads but why can I only upload videos on WiFi? Same happened to me in 6sec. This is so frustrating.

ivankan says:

Keep it up ! I just bought it too

Serious Tone says:

So do tags actually work in this one, unlike instance? Or since they are both unofficial they still won't?

Chill510 says:

Holy crap...actual notifications that work. That's the best part of this app.

reprod3 says:

I already have the app but I went back into the store and can no longer find it... What's up there?

lovebill says:

It is hidden in the store (but you can still download it http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/6tag/7d795cdf-fb1b-4bdf-8f5e-76eb19f7079e ) cause it lacks privacy policy button. The update is on the way.
Obviously some people reported the lack of policy button to Microsoft . Its a typical situation when a new flashy restaurant opens and the fast food next door calls health inspection to shut them down! Cheap and ephemeral tactics. Lost respect to a certain developer after that. 6tag will be visible again soon.

EBynum says:

The profile screenshot with Dan's picture says PROFIL. Should be PROFILE.

andresats says:

How do I delete a photo? Can't find the delete button;(

Can't find it on the Microsoft store, or the Microsoft website

Great app but I have a problem. My account is blacklisted at Instagram and I tried to create a new one from my phone. But It wasn't possible... Error message about inactivated account. Can my phone be blacklisted or something?? I could create an account from another phone but I couldn't logon to to that account from my phone. Any tip some one, please.

arbetaren says:

Din IP är antagligen bannad. Har du Telia kan du starta om telefonen eller bara slå på/av flygläge så får du en ny. Förutsatt att du stänger av WLAN, kan ju även vara den som är bannad.

Tack för tipsen. Testade att stänga av telefonen. Slå av wifi som jag brukar köra på hemma men utan resultat. Står kontot är inaktiverat. Det kontor jag försöker logga in på skapades på en HTC. Känns som min lur är helt utelåst efter min användning av Instance tidigare och att min telefon har ngt som Instagram blockar som är oberoende av uppkoppling.

DrewLumia900 says:

Another killer app by the best developer on the WP platform! THANK YOU Rudy!

nickhil says:

Can u upload saved videos?.. Anyone?

Ryanz says:

Not sure if it's an issue with third party apps, or an issue with Instagram itself, but when I started using Instance before and now 6tag, hashtags don't work on any of my pictures (even when using the official IG app on iOS and Android).
I can type them in with no problem, but when searching for my pictures under those hashtags, none show up.

broughshane says:

Try closing other apps your using by signing out for the hash tags to work on 6tag . May have something to do with 1 or more accounts opened

Conwhod says:

l̲i̲k̲e̲ ̲L̲u̲c̲i̲l̲l̲e̲ ̲e̲x̲p̲l̲a̲i̲n̲e̲d̲ ̲I̲ ̲a̲m̲ ̲s̲h̲o̲c̲k̲e̲d̲ ̲t̲h̲a̲t̲ ̲a̲ ̲s̲t̲u̲d̲e̲n̲t̲ ̲c̲a̲n̲ ̲p̲r̲o̲f̲i̲t̲ ̲$̲4̲8̲5̲9̲ ̲i̲n̲ ̲o̲n̲e̲ ̲m̲o̲n̲t̲h̲ ̲o̲n̲ ̲t̲h̲e̲ ̲c̲o̲m̲p̲u̲t̲e̲r̲.̲ ̲d̲i̲d̲ ̲y̲o̲u̲ ̲r̲e̲a̲d̲ ̲t̲h̲i̲s̲ ̲w̲e̲b̲ ̲p̲a̲g̲e̲ ̲w̲w̲w̲.̲ Zen45 ℂ̲ℴ̲ℳ̲

Great and Ozm. No words... !! This article is really wonderful!! :) ;)
    Top 10 Best Apps for Windows Phone [List of 2013] - The Top 10 best apps for windows phones and tablets of this year!! :)

hg411 says:

I can't seem to open the 6tag app on my 920?

I have unistalled and reinstalled and it still won't open, does anyone know how to fix this?

I have also done a soft reset on the phone.

kcin1 says:

Can photos be uploaded to a facebook page with 6tag? If not do you know of any other app? I have an Nokia Lumia 900 and heard that 6tag will be eventually available for Windows Phone 7.

Hola! que paso con 6tag para WP 7.8 Ls estoy esperando no me decepcionen

Dejah Shanae says:

Will it ever be available for 7.8?

eulaeller says:

Dears

I installed on my phone and as soon as the 6tag began operation received a message that the application was "disabled for violation of terms" and that it would contact the Help Center. I sent a message to an address 6tag (https://6tag.uservoice.com/) because I did not find any references on the existence of such Help Center. Responded well but that they would contact me soon, but so far have not received any support to solve this problem.

Eula Eller