Tutorial

Following these rules will dramatically improve your photos

Latest ProShot update has additional Lumia resolution options and more

Latest Fhotoroom update brings transparent Live Tiles, HDR filter and much more

From the Forums

Who has the best Windows Phone camera app? Nokia, Microsoft or Proshot?

Massive ProShot update is now available for Windows Phone with temporary price cut

ProShot set to receive a huge update - New user interface, front facing camera support and more

Lomogram rises from the ashes of controversy, re-released in the Windows Phone Store

Nokia Lumia 1020's camera is being used to help medical research

Black is a B&W film emulator for Windows Phone every photographer needs

Tips

Windows Phone 8.1 will now backup your High Resolution Lumia photos to OneDrive

Top Rated Windows Phone Photography Apps

Venture into the world of art photography with Lomography apps for Windows Phone

Measure light with Lux-o-Meter for Windows Phone

How To

How to use the Windows Phone 8.1 camera burst mode

Fhotoroom gets an updated, adds in-app store and new editing tools

Introducing you to the new camera app for Windows Phone 8.1

Stabilize your Lumia videos with LUUV

How To

Backing up your Windows Phone pictures and videos with OneDrive

Nokia Lumia 1020 captures image of objects obstructed from view

Fhotolens and Fhotostorage updated, HDR improvements and more integration added

ProShot receives a significant update enabling new features for GDR2 Windows Phones

While some Lumia owners with the GDR2 OS and Amber update can now use the Nokia Pro Cam app to leverage advanced camera features on their device, the original ProShot continues to evolve and it still offers a noteworthy alternative.

Today, version 2.8.3 is available on the Store and it now controls some GDR2 features that weren’t previously available in earlier builds. It’s also touted as being faster than Nokia Pro Cam, though at least for Lumia 1020 owners, you won’t get those 38MP photos. So what’s new?

ProShot version 2.8.3 (8/22/2013)

• Image processing pipeline overhaul: shot-to-shot time now a full second faster! Faster than Nokia Pro Cam*
  • Increased ISO range up to 4000 on compatible devices*
  • Added Macro / Infinity AF modes**
  • Added 3 second option to timelapse*
  • Added double-tap shortcut: double tap menu items to select them and close the panel
  • UI tweaks, improvements, and many bug fixes

* Requires GDR2 OS update (build 10320 and higher)

** Only compatible with Nokia devices with GDR2

While some may prefer the UI of Nokia’s Pro Cam, it’s all about what you are comfortable with when shooting. ProShot does offer 5FPS “burst mode”, macro settings and the ability to save pre-sets, all of which give it a slight edge over Pro Cam, especially for the 92x Lumias. Unfortunately it can’t be made a default camera app, though we hope to see something like that in the future, if possible.

Certainly ProShot continues to deserve attention from avid photographers and it is worth your time to evaluate its efficacy. Those with Windows Phone 8 devices can grab it here in the Store. $1.99 with a free trial.

via: Windows Phone Central forums

QR: proshot

Comments

sahil1990 says:

thats really great :)

inteller says:

that would be really fucking great to take advantage of.....if most of us didn't get phones from the "Premier Dreadful Partner" known as ATT.

diplomat696 says:

+920 AT&T we are waiting........

pankaj981 says:

Glad Rogers started rolling it today

wpguy says:

Come to TMo and pay $50/mo less and, more importantly, get the 925.

inteller says:

sorry I prefer coverage over ghetto cheap.

wpguy says:

Depends where you live. Where I am TMo's is as good or better than the rest, and faster too. Smoke that in your overpriced pipe.

Zamir Yusof says:

considering Pro Cam only available for 92x and above, this is the best pro camera app other WP8 user can get!

My 720 would like to thank you.

ryraansh says:

I still want Pro Cam for my 822

sahil1990 says:

you can easily install Pro cam using proxy on 52x,620,720 ;)

NutmegState says:

And some day when AT&T gets around to pushing out GDR2 OS update, I may be able to enjoy these features

CJ Thunder says:

Is there anything that can capture 38mp that has a timer?

Sean Maloney says:

And ProShot has an on-screen real-time level!  I haven't used Nokia Pro Cam yet, but I haven't seen anyone mention that feature.

mister2d says:

It's there post-shot.

Sean Maloney says:

You're saying Nokia Pro Cam lets you know if your shot was level *after* you take the picture?  ProShot has a level on-screen *before* you take the picture.  Because of this, I no longer take off-camber (slanted) pictures.

I can't remember anyone talking about this, but it's so important to me, I wouldn't even consider a camera app that doesn't do this.  Maybe not many people care.

What do you mean by level?

Sean Maloney says:

This type of level shows the angle of the camera relative to the horizon.  i.e. You know when you're holding the camera perfectly horizontal, not tilted left or right.

Dexterrino says:

ohh. good thing pro cam has grid lines to aid you. :

rule of thirds, crosshair, golden ratio.
you manually "level" your phone with these, especially crosshair for horizons.

Sean Maloney says:

I'm not talking about gridlines.  It has a real level.  To turn it on, go to Settings and check Level.  You'll understand once you see it.

Jason_JS_G says:

I'm still waiting for GDR2 on my unlocked, unbranded 920 in Sweden. And Amber...
What is this delay for?

Josh Harman says:

How can I find a list of apps that I can set as the default camera?
All I've seen is the Nokia Smart Cam, and Pro Cam isn't available for my 822.

Josh Harman says:

That doesn't help. I already have a Nokia in the US. Nothing to do with, region or manufacturer.

pankaj981 says:

That was to install pro cam on the 822

Josh Harman says:

Oh, ok thanks. Maybe I'll try it. I was under the impression that Pro Cam wouldn't work on my phone because of some hardware/firmware limitation.

Josh Harman says:

Thanks again.
Running through the proxy is a little iffy, I kinda expect that some hacker has all the information he could pull from my phone...
But I have Pro Cam along with the App Folder from Samsung, I would have gotten some HTC apps but there aren't many and I didn't want the ones they did have.
My phone is so different after getting GDR2/Amber, Pro Cam and App folder. I love it.

MooCoo says:

Settings-camera settings

Josh Harman says:

No, I'm looking for new apps. Not apps already on my phone.

larrybon says:

What's GDR2? If it's an update, when is it coming out?
Pro cam is excellent for preset pinned settings!

Josh Harman says:

You're kidding right?

larrybon says:

Of course...but it's not funny anymore being last in line! At&t here! Sucks

tositem says:

My favorite camera app since the first time i own my L920 :)

Tyetus says:

Att....lemme use this

Sergio0694 says:

And this was just a minor update...
Can't wait to see 3.0 coming out! :D

Dave Myers1 says:

This app is fantastic... it would be great if this could launch with the camera button.
Will manual temperature adjustment ever happen on the Lumia series? This one absent feature (in every app) just kills the Lumia as a serious shooter.

RiseUpGames says:

The good news is that the API exposes manual temperature adjustment, but it's currently only supported by HTC (and I think Huawei?) hardware. I will update ProShot if Nokia ever adds support!

You added Nokia exclusive features, why not add HTC ones?

RiseUpGames says:

Ideally, every device would have the same features, but it's up to the hardware and the hardware manufacturers. Nokia's hardware supports Macro / Infinity AF modes, while HTC's doesn't. Conversely, HTC's hardware supports manual WB temperature control, and Nokia's doesn't. So HTC does have an exclusive feature :)

I probably missread the question :) Actually WB works quite well on my HTC. Btw when I switch to the new ISO levels the screen flashes for a moment then turns back to normal, when I shoot the picture is with the correct ISO though. Also I found that certain combinations of ISO and shutter does not change on 8X i think the phone overrides the settings if they are too off.

And I would love to have "delete" option because many times I experiment with the settings and make too much bad pictures.

RiseUpGames says:

The slight flash is the hardware changing to the ISO setting (happens on HTC, not Nokia). Also, there is an odd bug in HTCs hardware....if you manually set the ISO and shutter speed, the selected shutter speed might not be used :/

I played for a while with custom ISO and Shutter speed and sometimes it works, sometimes does not. Tried to make a reproducable case but I could not. I think it is not working if both options are set to something that is not supported by the hardware (as a combo). Btw in some extreme settings (like ISO 3200/ Shutter speed: 1/16000) the phone tries to make a picture witch is displayed for a while (some extremly noisy image appears), slides as it goes for saving, but it actually does not save. Sometimes after that, the gallery mode stops working and the left arrow dissappears too.
Also when you turn the phone upside down the arrow goes to the right of the screen and becomes unclickable.

RiseUpGames says:

The hardware supports all of the settings that are available to be selected, it just won't honor the selected shutter speed if the ISO is also set to something other than AUTO (note again, this only applies to HTC phones). Their firmware still has quite a few bugs that need to be addressed.

The left arrow disappears while images are being processed / saved in the background.

The left arrow bug when the phone is upside down will be fixed in the minor update I just submitted.

beeq says:

Add bracketing with HDR options, and this would be perfect :)

Dave Myers1 says:

what this guy said

RiseUpGames says:

on the to-do list!

Kreets says:

Will this work with the Samsung ATIV S Neo with GDR2?

gsquared says:

Can't set as default camera app? Thats disappointing. Was looking forward to doing just that.
(&*^&^%^% (^&*%^%^&  *&^&*(^&^&^&.......

RiseUpGames says:

I've asked Microsoft to let developers do this, but I haven't gotten any responses :/   Our best bet is to keep voting: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/sugg...

mikeymcz says:

Hey, You forget to mention superb support directly from developer. I wish they all were like him. :-)

Sean Burns1 says:

So this is Nokia only?? I have GDR2 on my HTC 8X.

No, it works on all phones GDR2 is only required for ISO 800+
I have 8X too and use it for some months.
The best cam app.

Borri says:

Is it even possible for any app to be set as default camera app?

wpguy says:

There is another reader named Borri
"Default camera app?" is his quarry
Scroll up and you'll peek
At the answer you seek
Plainly seen in the article for ye

Borri says:

I don't see the answer in the article, it only says this app can't be set as default.

pmich says:

After downloading Nokia Proshot i'm actually still preferring the original app.  Nice to know i have choices.

Recomended photographer

One thing that would be really nice is if ProShot could be turned on by pressing the shutter button on the 920 or 1020 >_>  Only reason I think I'm using the Nokia Camera

PB_H says:

Unfortunately even with Amber/GRD2 burst is still a bust with Lumia 810 even tho' "we fixed the burst issue'' You touch the shutter and the maximum of 15 shots is also the minimum and after 10 min of saving photos ( you can't  use the camera during that time) I just closed it out. BTW I do have the paid v 2.8.3 copy

saisam4u says:

I just got my Lumia 720 updated with amber....nd I used pro shot after that....smthing really surprising is that the maximum possible ISO is limited to 800....bt in auto mode...under very dim conditions.....the app selects ISO's upsto 3200!!!....it means higher ISO's are supported the device rite????