Xbox

Destiny beta event to be held at Microsoft's San Diego store Wednesday

Destiny's companion app not planned for Windows Phone

Xbox

Community fans can watch the sixth season on Yahoo Screen for Xbox 360

Xbox

PSA: Xbox Live connectivity issues affecting Xbox 360 and Xbox One; Netflix and Twitch also down

Games

Destiny limited and Ghost editions revealed

Games

Destiny beta test begins July 23 for Xbox One and Xbox 360

Xbox

PSA: Xbox Live currently experiencing issues, impacts Xbox One and Xbox Music

Showtime Anytime app added to Xbox 360, coming later to Xbox One

Xbox

Microsoft shows you why Xbox Live Gold is a worthy upgrade

Games

Guacamelee, Gotham City Imposters, and BattleBlock Theater are July's Games with Gold

Xbox

Want to use Sky Go on your Xbox? You'll have to pay extra for that

Games

Transformers, Sniper Elite III, and Valiant Hearts come to Xbox One and 360 this week

Games

Prepare for Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark, coming to Xbox One and 360 on June 24

Games

Ubisoft brings Valiant Hearts and Tetris Ultimate to Xbox One and Xbox 360 this summer

Xbox

Microsoft goes all in for Bonnaroo music festival, will stream live to Xbox

Games

Sniper Elite III sets its sights on Xbox One and Xbox 360 later this month

Xbox

Xbox One coming to India in September starting at INR 39,990

Games

Windows Phone Central's E3 2014 Plans and Predictions

Xbox

Twitter, Vine, HBO, and 42 other apps coming soon to Xbox

Xbox

Xbox Live Gold members can now get two free games on their Xbox One

PSA: 2013 Xbox 360 update rolling out, exchanges MS Points for local currency

Xbox Home

Time for a public service announcement. We’ve reported on the demise of Microsoft Points on the Xbox platform in the past. The community has been divided on whether they like or dislike the point system. Well it doesn’t matter anymore how you feel, because Microsoft is moving away from points to local currencies. And it’s starting today.

A few readers have tipped us this morning about an update for the Xbox 360. What’s new in the update? We’re hearing that MS Points have been retired alongside some aesthetic changes. Sure enough, Major Nelson and Xbox have confirmed that the 2013 Xbox Live update is slowly rolling out to users. This update does include a conversion of MS Points to local currency.

After you receive and install the update you’ll walk through a guide detailing the change. Your current MS Point balance will be converted to your local currency. It will round up, not down, in situations where you don’t get a nice number. The amount will be applied to your Microsoft account so you can purchase content in other places like the Windows Phone Store.

Read up on the FAQ posted to the Xbox website. It details a few other changes like needing to use the amount added to your account at the time of transition by June 1, 2015. Codes and gift cards you get for MS Points will be redeemable for the remainder of the year.

Source: Major Nelson

Thanks for the tip Hitesh S!

Comments

iamoniwaban says:

Sweet. I hated points

Good point

+1 point

I'm part of the Xbox Live beta, so I've had this for some time.
That being said, making purchases makes so much more sense now.

pepsijosh says:

By not having to buy a set amout of points before buying somthing, for example if I bought 2,100 points I could buy 2 games at 800 points then I'd have 500 left, If I wanted another game at 800 points you can't just buy 300 points so I had to buy more than I need  then keep ending up in a visious cycle of having left over points, at least now I just pay what I need to then I'm done & also being able to see how much your actually spending is nice to =)

RayWP7 says:

I'm happy about this, too. Though the practice is hardly new - it's common in quite a few microtransacted MMOs.  Also, at many dim-sum restaurants: I mean, why do they typically serve three pieces/ plate when its usually an EVEN number of people dining!?!?  We know why... LOL  Keep points (money) in the bank and to sell more.

qhendricks says:

Been a long time coming. No more convoluted cash-to-points conversion. I'd much rather build up a credit in actual dollars.

Just got the update now. I notice that the UI loads faster which is a welcome change
Philippines

wpguy says:

I am glad to see the change, and am especially glad to see the new system work in multiple Microsoft stores (for XBox, WP, etc.)

I'm glad they switched ms currency to local currency, it was always confusing and silly.

Rubios says:

About time...

Josh Harman says:

Maybe because I was a beta testers, but my MS points were converted to cash weeks ago.

MatsuDano says:

For a few weeks now users had a choice to use cash or local currency. When performing (certain, not sure if all) transactions, you could press X to switch to local currency.

Josh Harman says:

No, my points were actually switched over. There was no 'choice'.

RepoUK says:

Yes, there was a choice.  If you didn't buy anything through the Xbox but used the XBL website instead you could carry on using points.  It was only on your first purchase through the Xbox that you were forced to convert points to cash.

Sam Sabri says:

That's because you were a beta tester, this is for regular peeps!

anon5351951 says:

Can we still add money to our accounts with a card purchased in a store though? Not everybody owns a credit card...

DemiNutive says:

Prepaid cards are an option plus I bet they will offer redeemable cards much in the same fashion they do now but with cash and not ms points

I believe they have announced a prepaid card similar to an iTunes or google playstore card.

RepoUK says:

Yes you can currently using MSP cards. The points convert to cash instantly apparently.
I assume 'gift cards' will come soon, a la PSN.

mgkeath says:

I haven't kept up with this, so a few questions for anyone who may know the answers. I have points, but no Xbox currently and my understanding was, the conversion would allow us to purchase WP8 apps. How do I go about adding the converted amount to my account without an Xbox? As of now, I see no difference in the amount of my MS account. It was at, $6.94 before and remains at that amount. Is this possible or do I wait until the new Xbox One comes out to see the conversion?

Josh Harman says:

Yes, you can use your MS account for WP purchases.
If your account shows a $ amount and not points, it has already been converted.
Check your 'wallet' in your app list on WP8.

mgkeath says:

That's the way I thought it was supposed to work. However, I still don't see anything added when checking wallet. Perhaps it needs a little time to show.

I haven't had to deal with points in a while I was in the beta

numetheus says:

What kind of cookie would you like me to bake you?

thirdday2002 says:

Hey I bet a few of you hadn't had to deal with this for a while, since you were beta testers. We get it.

LaNiQuE says:

Lol yea what u said

Josh Harman says:

Hey did you know that beta testers, got this switch weeks ago?

LaNiQuE says:

Finally I hated the points system mostly cause I was so use to a dollar being a dollar on psn so this is a huge also it's cool that you can use your credits on your windows phone

RetroMan71 says:

I didn't see any guide detailing the changes?

Sam Sabri says:

Click this http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing-and-subscriptions/account-management/microsoft-points-retire-faq

Verkunder says:

Interesting. I didn't go through a "guide."

jacob114489 says:

So will our points show up in our WP wallet?

Josh Harman says:

Yes, or rather a $ amount will now.
But that's nothing new.

Zeeshan360 says:

Yeah .. It's in my WP wallet

jacob114489 says:

Weird its not in mine. Maybe I need to update my Xbox.

kenzibit says:

No Xbox One UI change? Just Local currencies?

Storl says:

Why would they update the X360 UI 3 months before the X1 even hits the market?
Also i don't see them updating the UI this year.

kenzibit says:

Thought I read it somewhere that they would since the want all (Xbox 360 and Xbox One) to be inline just like WP7.8 and WP8. And also ot will come before Xbox one gets released....Can't remember where I read it but I sire remember.

kenzibit says:

WP avatar store still showing points.

horbeme says:

what is the conversion? 1 point = $1 or 1  cent or 10 cents or 25 cents?

chri jensen says:

My experience has been 80 points = $1  and 100 points = $1.25
not sure if that is universal or local

Stu Malin says:

You can also now play any songs you've bought on Xbox Music on WP on the Xbox, quite cool but long overdue

Coop909 says:

Anyone else notice their browser change? Itz only 3 options now. Windows Phone HTC 8X here.

Erickson187 says:

The points actually show up on my WP under my existing gift card I used from Bing rewards so can use it on phone too

I do find it frustrating though they are going to expire since points never do and I live in a state where gift cards can never expire.

DJRedLine says:

I was also in the beta. You will notice the green colour is slightly darker to match the xbox1 guidelines. Also updates to games will download in the background (enable in settings)

Yakkob says:

Downloading in the background has been there for years..

SoullessOnyx says:

I was in the Beta and I have to say I love what they have done, its alot more faster and simpler to make a purchase now.

glassadam says:

Its a weird thing-- I was supposedly part of the beta (I signed up and everything) and all I got was a new "beta" tab on my dash for the last couple months with a couple of non-responsive links explaining that I was part of the beta,and ive also been using real money for a few weeks, but I thought everyone else was, too. That's it, no new look or anything. Until reading this article I was under the impression that the beta hadn't even started yet! :-o

pjotr11 says:

Hi, I am a bit disappointed with this dashboard, I expected intergration of skype. A missed opportunity in my opinion cause there is a bloody good cam in kinect, I have relatives in russia and would have used it a lot.
Rumours go that xbox one has skype so I will be patient.

SReJEd says:

I thought the same, the tech is already there, it shouldn't be so hard to polish the Video Kinect app and turn it into Skype. And they could do that while keeping IM funcionality.

SReJEd says:

Windows Live Messenger has been silently removed, too... And yet no sign of Skype. Hopefully it won't stay only on One (I'm getting the One anyway but it doesn't hurt to get more out of the 360)

Rhody#WP says:

I am happy the points system is gone. It never made sense. 400 points was 4.99, but 800 points was 9.99 and 1600 points was 19.99. They charged you extra to buy more points, so I always bought points 400 at a time. It was a ridiculous system and it's about time they abandoned it.
BTW, did they get rid of that annoying messenger notification? Yes, I know you couldn't sign into messenger, because messenger doesn't exist anymore.

DavidinCT says:

Finally...

but, now here is a question... I have $40.79 left for geting a 928 (verizon's promotion) and it says that they will make sure that goes first, is there a way to confirm what my balance that will expire ? When these combine (I assume when i use my 360 tonight), can I use that $40.79 on my xbox or is it only Windows Phone 8 ?