Some old Xbox games get a 2nd Life

Disney Checkout Challenge tests your grocery scanning skills

Disney Hidden Worlds comes to Windows Phone and Windows 8

Lost Echo, a 3D action adventure game jumps from iOS to Windows Phone Store

Grab a bunch of Disney games for free for Windows Phone and Windows 8

Dream of Pixels unleashes beautiful puzzles on Windows Phone

Games

Duckie Deck Sandwich Chef is a fun and creative Windows Phone game for preschool kids

Disney's Words of Wonder now available for Windows Phone and Windows 8.1

Ice Rage: Hockey, a smashing Windows Phone game full of body checks

Games

Check out Disney's new 'Castle of Illusion' running on the Surface Pro 3 and Lumia Icon

Games

Disney's classic 'Castle of Illusion' jumps from Sega to Windows Phone and Windows 8.1

Asphalt 8: Airborne gets updated, adds the SSC Tuatara to the garage

Disney releases two new Windows Phone 8 games, Lost Light and JellyCar 3

As expected, Disney Solitaire comes to Windows Phone 8

JoyBits brings Doodle Creatures and Around the World to Windows Phone 8

Disney's Maleficent Free Fall casts a match-3 spell on Windows Phone

Games

Blazin' Aces arrives in the Windows Phone Store, let the dogfights begin!

Kochadaiiyaan The Legend Reign of Arrows lands in the Windows Phone Store

Temple Run: Oz

Temple Run: Oz with lush HD graphics launches for Windows Phone 8

Temple Run, aka the now classic endless runner, may be getting old but that hasn’t stopped Disney from teaming up with Imangi Studios to release the latest movie tie-in, in this case Oz. The version for Windows Phone 8 has finally landed on the Store today for the usual $0.99 and while it’s not Xbox Live enabled (sorry, folks) it is one sweet ride.

The immediate difference between this game and the other two Temple Run games on the Store is the improved HD graphics. Indeed, these are probably the best graphics we’ve seen for this type of game—they’re almost too good as you just want to look at them instead of paying attention to jumping, sliding or turning. The game is also not just a re-skin but adds new elements like flying baboons and new powerups to help you along the way. Heck, you even get to ride in a hot-air balloon.

Temple Run: Oz (description)

Temple Run: Oz

"Disney and Imangi Studios present Temple Run: Oz – a brand-new endless runner inspired by Temple Run 2 and the film Oz the Great and Powerful. Play as Oz and outrun the shrieking flying baboons as you turn, jump and slide your way across the land. Begin your exhilarating adventure now and see how far you can run!"

• Stunning environments inspired by the film – explore them all.
  • Fly in a hot air balloon – earn even more coins.
  • Explore different locations in Oz – follow sign posts!
  • The environment changes as you run – test your reflexes.

The game weighs in at an impressive 50MB and it is a tad slow to load all of those graphics, but if you’re a fan of the Temple Run series, we have to give it a thumbs up (you can watch the gameplay trailer above for an idea).

You can grab Temple Run: Oz for Windows Phone 8 devices here for $0.99, or scan the QR code below; no free trial. 1 GB of RAM or more required, sorry 512MB devices!

Thanks, Daniel S., for the heads up

QR: Temple Run Oz

Comments

izzykahn says:

YESS!! I'VE BEEN WAITING!! I can't wait for Temple Run 2!

Dantekai14 says:

I am also waiting for temple run

but developer always say to 512mb ram devices - Fu*k 512MB RAM devices

While I am no longer a fan of temple run this looks pretty awesome! Thanks for the support Imangi and Disney!

Ratman826 says:

No Xbox Live=Frequent Updates for Bugs
Hope Gameloft start doing the same thing, cuz I'm really tired of not have update where android and ios had.

YA BILLY says:

This is the reason Xbox on the phone is dying. Devs don't want the hassle anymore.

DJCBS says:

How about, no?
Furthermore, Microsoft has announced they are simplifying Xbox Live system to allow quicker updates. And I think it's already done, just look at how Rovio has updated Angry Birds.
Just because Gameloft doesn't update their games, doesn't mean it's Xbox's fault. 'cause it isn't.

Ratman826 says:

Yes, I agree that Xbox achievements are good stuffs, and yes, I know Microsoft is trying simplify Xbox live system. I know Rovio just updated their angry bird, but hell, what about star wars and season? If Xbox games are easier to update than before why can't they update these two?! Rovio ain't indie developer, they are a huge company that make not just apps and toys as well! So think about it, why can't they update theses game more frequent? Because: it is still hard to publish new version for an Xbox game, so the blame comes down to Microsoft. So yeah, I rather they don't make games for Xbox Live!
PS: Gameloft saw this problem and just announced that most of the up coming WP8 games won't support Xbox Live (Yeah!)

DJCBS says:

They did update Angry Birds Star Wars. They even added more planets. AND they've announced Angry Birds Star Wars II for WP being released at the same time that iOS and Android. And yes, it will be Xbox enabled, which means the process isn't taking as long as previously. Before that change, they always released it for WP later because of the Xbox certification process.

Also, Disney is a bigger company than Rovio or Gameloft will ever be. And although the original Temple Run was indie, these Disney versions aren't.

Also...where the hell did you see that? I haven't seen a single official statement from Gameloft announcing they're dropping Xbox Live. And I highly doubt they will do so.

Where microsoft announced that?? I dont remember to have readed this anywhere...

DJCBS says:

Salvo erro, anunciaram em Junho/Julho. Durante a convenção em que apresentaram a Xbox One. A WPCentral fez um artigo sobre isso na altura.

Zeeshan360 says:

There is no limitations for updates for Xbox games on WP .. Plus MS has simplified the process even on Xbox 360 & Xbox One

harchestr says:

Just downloaded it on my Surface Rt. The graphics are just as stunning as on the phone.

UzaiBaka says:

Does it lag at all on the rt? Or slow loading stuff at all?

DJCBS says:

Still not Xbox Live enabled? Then I'll keep passing.

bashbaliga says:

We will not miss you.

DJCBS says:

Who the hell are you? Go back to under your bridge.

willied says:

We will not miss you.

DJCBS says:

Your mother will.

Zeeshan360 says:

Ppl who don't have Xbox 360 wont understand the benefit of Xbox Games lol ..

DJCBS says:

Yeah, though I would venture to say "Stupid people" won't understand the benefit of Xbox Live games. 'cause I don't have an Xbox360 and I still see the benefits in the Xbox Live games to gamers, to Microsoft and specially to WP.

Etios says:

We will not miss you :)

Tragic says:

0/10 troll harder

DJCBS says:

You will. Your entire life seems to turn around trolling so...

willied says:

We will not miss you.

Z3MN says:

We will not miss you.

DJCBS says:

You're really original. Your parents should be proud.

Etios says:

We will not miss you.
Even your parents wont miss you.

rafael33379 says:

Who is interested in Asphalt 8. Asphalt 8 coming in November.

Vietkii says:

I know, can't wait for it

Yeah , its awesome game but too bad its filled with IAPs.

Playing it on GS4 and decided not to purchase it on my iPad.

First few games are so much fun but after that you can't buy anything unless you play countless games or make in-app purchases.

IAPs are killing the game.Don't keep expectations high.

venom5150 says:

I bought it just for support. My daughter likes these TR games.

Anyone know of the swipe detection problem exists in this version? They fixed it in the original, but the Brave version still suffers...

Roach26 says:

Love temple run brave, so I'm going to give this one a try.

azaright says:

Considering majority of wp users are having 512mb devices i don't understand the point of releasing games for 1gig devices.also these games are available for android on low spec devoces

We'll go over this again, for the hundredth time: they always release games for 1GB devices and then later optimize them for 512MB as they work out the bugs. See past TR games.

sasukeluffy says:

Some people just don't get it.

dorelse says:

I'm new to WP8...trying to leave Android in the rear view mirror.  For me, that's the first time I've heard that 1GB devices get games before 512MB devices.
Newbie's asking repetitive questions is a good problem to have...the platform is growing, bringing in new users, who will inevitably ask very common questions...be grateful!

toph36 says:

Good point to remember!  Let's hope this question gets asked millions of more times because there are a lot of new WP users to platform, and that those users are engaged enough to read sites like WPCentral.  Hopefully developers can release 512MB versions of their apps in sync or shortly after the 1GB versions, but patience is needed!  But it is understandable that a game like this would need to the extra RAM, at least initially.

"then later optimize them for 512MB" = how much time ?

If they specified correctly , nobody would be whining.

techiez says:

well even though you are 100% correct and no disagreeing with you, but it hurts the ecosystem, already playing a catchup now if ppl having majority of WP8 devices are made to wait further that doesnt go well with the "common users", geek users will understand but if this becomes regular feature then I would say the frustration is justified.

Ok, I agree with you Daniel Rubino, how is the process on Windows Phone. But, for example this same company develop for iOS and optimize this game for 3GS (256mb ram), 4 (512mb ram), 4s (1gb de ram), 5....
Since the first release. I guess there is no excuse, for the release time, they start to think to release on all the devices. Otherwise is a kind of poor job of them.

jlynnm350z says:

You have been Daniel Rubinoed!!

Dancsi31 says:

also again for the 1000000000000000000th time, don't compare a low or mid Android/iOS device with a WP7/8, it's not the same hardware, the OS is different also. And the majority of WP users have a 1GB device, because if they care about gaming, they are not not gonna buy a low end device. Here in Canada and USA, most people have a 82x/92x device because it's cheap now.

tylerh1701 says:

There's no reason this game should not be Xbox Live enabled.
I'm not faulting the developer in any way, nor am I planning to boycott the game because it's not Xbox enabled.  Just pointing out a clear example of how badly MS is dropping the ball with Windows Phone gaming.  Xbox is a HUGE worldwide brand.  Mobile gaming is exploding.  There should be 2-3 Xbox Live enabled games coming out every week.

Couldn't agree more. Love my Windows 8, Phone 8, 360, and soon to be Xb One. I rarely give any thought to purchasing games that aren't Xbox live. There are some exceptions, but very few.

Lorienn says:

Downloaded it on my Lumia 920. Unfortunately it won't work :(

Corben01 says:

Try to reboot. Had just the same problem.

Lorienn says:

Thx for advice,it did not help though :( for some reason it is not working for me.

sasukeluffy says:

Don't worry, my Samsung Ativ S has the same problem. Tried re-installing and rebooting, no luck. Just stucks on the black screen..

vdasus says:

the same. lumia 920 - just black screen...

Wojciech Maj says:

Same here, Lumia 820...

Having the same problem with a Lumia 920.. Black screen.. All games should have a try option so it's easy to avoid these situations..

Corben01 says:

I've try. Graphics are gorgious, really. And the reaction seem to work better than in Temple Run.

So, when Imange will publish Temple Runs here in Brazil??? Is soooooooooooo difficult to get a contact from a big company!

Yeap, sad that the game isn´t published to Brazil

Dancsi31 says:

sooooo difficult to change the damn region to USA once in a while?

Again, do I have to explain this all the time???
I dont asking this only for me but for a WHOLE COMMUNITY OF BRAZILIAN USERS that dont know that they can do this on their phones. They represents about 95% of the users. Us, people the read this type of site, are the vast minority of users. I am thinking in the majority.

How can I truly change my region on my Lumia? Do I have to apply my credit card and address in order to buy the things? I should go to account on the web, or only in the config of my phone.
By the way, Imangi never answered any single e-mail. I sent at least ten.

Thanks

Dancsi31 says:

First of all, here in Canada, the % of people owning a WP7/8 phone is very slim (I would say 5-10%, 15% max) and they all know about this region switch trick without posting on forums about how to do it. When you reset or startup the phone the first time, you have to setup the region of your phone with the correct time zone and date and all that stuff, so people already know that such a thing exists (the region change thing in the settings).
In Brazil (and i guess in most South America's countries), most people own a WP compared to iOS or Android, so they are more informed about news. If not, well, you can always create a forum and post the info there so that all the 95% people know about this.

Also, people reported that the game gives you a black screen if the region of the phone is not set to English and USA. When they changed it, the game loaded fine without the black screen. So either way, people have to change the region to USA and English after they purchased the game otherwise it will not load correctly on other regions.

santos1974 says:

Installed on my Lumia 920 but it doens't work! Reboot the phone and nothing

Aleksy says:

Same for me, I did reboot twice. Htc 8x

Corben01 says:

Well, I'm sorry for you. It works fine on my 920. Wait for an update..

santos1974 says:

Lucky
Mine stays with black screen for minutes and not passing this...weird

VinaySC says:

Ohh, come on...For Android its free...and android devices with 512 mb ram can run this game. Why not 512 mb wp8 devices?

Zeeshan360 says:

It's not free on Android

sasukeluffy says:

Red Daniel Rubinos reply above for RAM limit, and Zeeshan360 reply above for price.
Idiot..

Dancsi31 says:

then get an Android phone and stop complaining, geez

SocalTouch says:

Awesome, my 8 year old will love this!

SocalTouch says:

Downloaded and it seems to work fine on my 920 (ATT white 920 running developer GDR2 ROM with Amber).

Lumia 820 Amber : Game does not work. After Loading screen - black screen and this is all. Reboot does not help. Damn!

I did uninstall, reboot, install again - does not work!
Uninstall, reboot, install from SD card - does not work!

junjunoori says:

Working fine on my Lumia 820(amber update).Gone through all the worlds.Very minute lag is present.

do you have original temple run installed with this one together?

Manny C says:

Looks nice, so Temple Run 2 should be on the way?

mukulvdhiman says:

They should've released an ad supported verison... :/

My girlfriend just got used to playing the original Temple Run on my phone, now I gotta break the news that she'll have to learn a newer version of it ...*gulp*

jlynnm350z says:

Why they only release games for 1 gig. That's so stupid. I just don't get it.

dorelse says:

So, here's my new to WP8 dumb question...since this is being touted as having HD graphics, do you have to have a 720p screen or higher for the HD graphics?  Or are they simply stating they've improved the graphics of the came over the original versions?

Happy for you guys on wp8. Enjoy

GearDoGi says:

Games like this easily deserve the Xbox branding!
If you agree read my suggestion and vote for it please!

addz77 says:

No achievements = no download

Dazzi says:

True words mate -- all games should Xbox live.

MrDaedra says:

Has Russia localization but not available in Russian market. No way.

toph36 says:

"The game weighs in at an impressive 50MB..."  Storage Check shows that it is 121MB installed!  That is before I even opened the game to play.  Anyway, glad to see it on WP and not too far behind iOS and Android.  Plus, it is that same cost as on iOS, which many times the same app is more on WP.  All good.

ahmu86 says:

its "Hollywoodised"... looks more like Temple Run : The Mummy

Nejcooo says:

i never liked this game. it's always the same BOOORIIIIIING

DennisvdG says:

Wtf they release this but not temple run 2??

Probably Disney sponsored them to do it. Temple Run 2 is developed indepecdently by Imangi Studios.

DennisvdG says:

This really proves they don't care and it could have been ported a long time ago (not that I care much or anything)

No Xbox LIVE = no deal

Mika T says:

Doesn't work on my Lumia 920 in Finland?! Any ideas why?

Seams a problem with a lot for 920 outside us.. 920 in Finland and I have the same problem..

Guldtackan says:

Doesn't work in Sweden neither. Unless you change your region to "USA".

Corben01 says:

Works on m'y 920 here in Belgium. Do you have Amber ? Maybe it's the problem (if you have not)

Guldtackan says:

I've updated to Amber so that's not it.

jebroni jeb says:

Is this free on android device? if it does. Why again is paid in WP platform? Yes we have the app but paid while android users enjoying it. sigh!!

In android you can get almost every paid app for free by just downloading and installing the apk file from one of the websites in the web!

dhruv07 says:

Still no 512mb support again!!

Quhi says:

People with 512 ram, please stop, you bought such a phone and you knew that not all games will run. You get what you pay for. Besides, they may still update the game for 512 mb.

Harsh Gaurav says:

Dude when is temple run 2 coming?

mimonaut says:

for ALL who has a problem with game crash after loading screen, I found a solution.
Your regional settings (units and date format) must be set to US, then the game will run fine.. I had the same problem with regional settings switched to czech republic, after set to US is everythink OK.. :)

Enjoy

Frank Naude says:

Why is it not available in South Africa? Sucks sooo much... :|

Make it available for 512 MB ram devices!!!!

<p>Please make it available for 512Mb RAM phones... :-( I am using lumia 720 :(</p>