Hear how much better chat will be on the Xbox One over the Xbox 360

Xbox One

The Xbox 360 came out in November 2005, yes that 2005 from nearly 8 years ago. Over time, the Xbox 360 continued to improve with software updates and hardware refreshes that only changed the external look of the device. The Xbox One is coming sometime this November and with it the next generation. Microsoft has a cool sample showing the difference in voice quality between the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One. Let’s check it out.

Xbox’s Major Nelson, aka Larry Hyrb, has a cool post with two audio samples from the Xbox 360 and Xbox One. As you can probably guess, the Xbox One sample sounds heaps better than the one from the Xbox 360. Listen for yourself and see hear:

So what has Microsoft done to improve the voice quality? Besides 7+ years of technological advances, they’ve integrated the Skype audio codec. Skype, as you can imagine, knows a thing or two about voice quality with their billions of hours of service.

The new and improved audio quality for voice will work on Xbox One whether you’re talking in-game or through party chat with Skype.

Little samples like this from the Xbox One will surely be released from Microsoft as we get closer to launch. We’ll share all the interesting ones with you folks.

What do you think of the quality?

Source: Major Nelson

Comments

Th1ckNasty says:

Sounds pretty good prolly better once its in hand and actually using it!

onysi says:

why the fuck is she still selling sea shells.

Yakko Warner says:

And by the seashore, no less.  If I'm by the seashore, I'll go pick up my own dang sea shells on the beach for free.

Micah Dawson says:

There is a noticeable difference there. I am excited to get my Xbox one and this another reason to be excited!

MaulerX says:

That's pretty impressive. Huge difference actually.

RolexDPracer says:

Can't wait to get my hands on my Xbox One..

Quin 2013 says:

Great! Now we can hear crying kids more clearly in the background. Woo hoo

Doom At Last says:

...that's not how it works.

Quin 2013 says:

Well, when I don't use my headset, I sometimes hear those with a headset over my tv and it's usually some person and their kid is screaming or crying.

On 360, even if I try to mute them, it won't mute while on multiplayer, unless I plug in the headset.

And telling me how much I suck and what they did to my mother..

Nejcooo says:

Im cool with skype one my pc :)

retyler says:

I wish the Xbox One supported multiple monitors/TVs. Now back to the regular scheduled conversation.

NIST says:

It does sound "heaps" better.

Sam Sabri says:

I put that in there for all my mates down under.

NIST says:

When you say "mates" you mean girls, right?

Tragic says:

I heard their are pretty good blokes

schlubadub says:

Haha as an Aussie that sentence sounded completely normal! Heaps, stacks, lots all work :)

NIST says:

As an American, Aussie chicks are Hot! You lucky fool.

schlubadub says:

Haha I can't argue there... I work in an office with only 3 other guys and around 30 women, mostly in their 20's :)

scardboy says:

Pretty good, but I want to know how well your voice sounds using the Kinect ?

Zeeshan360 says:

Search Youtube .. Microsoft made a video about voice cancellation

jordandrako says:

I see what you did hear.

spyderzWPC says:

Does anyone know how well the kinect will do during chats while in game, originally I had a lot of issues using kinect on 360 while playing multiplayer, and it wasnt fun disabling it when you noticed the issue because you would have to log out of your profile to get into system to mute the kinect, which again would cause issue if you planned to have a video chat with a friend.

xboxonthego3 says:

Important question: Was this done with Kinects? Headsets? Kinect and Headset?

Edit: Nvm went to source. It's Headsets

thekonger says:

When I play the audio sample backwards I hear Bill Gates saying 'Buy an XBox One Bitche$$$'.

Calm down Bill, I planned on getting one anyway...

zeronoise says:

"I simply don't understand her business model. I get it that sea shells are abundant in the vicinity of the ocean, leading to a robust and dependable supply chain. But that only means that the average consumer is capable of obtaining their own sea shells with limited effort. The large supply should also lead to consumer fatigue with the product which would further lower demand.

If I were "she", the last place I would sell sea shells would be by the seashore. I would apply for a small business government grant or loan and invest in reliable transportation for my goods. She could then move her sea shell selling inland where supply is constrained and demand will most likely be high.

She could also continue to maintain a small presence near the seashore for brand recognition and the sake of tradition." - some user on kotaku....made my day lol

Dare2Blink says:

Thanks, that made my day as well

Now let's just hope there aren't issues connecting to Xbox Live Parties...*sigh*

tvolpe86 says:

hey finally console voice chat will sound like the newest codecs used by teamspeak and ventrilo. I remember when those programs sounded like ass back in the day too lol

mister2d says:

This is all marketing, which is fine! But computers were able to present decent voice audio for the last 20+ years? Especially over the net with appropriate codecs used for VOIP.

Getting this Day One, but.....yawn.

pickypg says:

Having done some software development work with audio codecs recently, I really have to agree and disagree. High quality codecs have been around for awhile, but generally at the expense of a lot of bandwidth.

On the other hand, Skype has an impressively low bandwidth, yet still high quality voice-audio codec called SILK. The big difference between it and the codecs that we have had since the 90s (or earlier) is that it has an extremely low bit rate for the quality that it is putting out.

As of September 2012, a new audio codec has emerged that actually merges Skype's SILK codec with Xiph.org's CELT codec, which is good with non-speech audio (e.g., tones). Combining the two gives some impressive results at low optionally variable bit rates (it's hard to say if it's better than SILK standalone because SILK is proprietary). The new codec is named Opus (http://opus-codec.org/), and it is an open, royalty-free, codec that is required for any compliant WebRTC implementation. WebRTC is the web-based standard for plug-in free, in-browser, Skype-like calls (both audio and video, but Opus is only for audio); the only catch is that there needs to be something that tells the two clients how to connect (or, more realistically, where to connect).

Supposedly, Skype has implemented Opus within Skype clients, and I very much expect that to be true, but it is unlikely to be enabled right now. The reason that I mention this is that it would be amazing if Xbox One's were able to communicate with standard, browser-based users and phone users, even if it required Xbox Live (for the connection, but not the communication). It's certainly possible, and the quality would be impressive to boot... I just hope that Microsoft has the vision to pull it off.

mister2d says:

Ummm.. low bandwidth VOIP codecs have been available for many years. I know because I use them. This is my whole point.

DavidinCT says:

I know the upgrade is a big difference but, I would still love if we could chat with people on the 360 so our game chats and groups could chat with all my friends who are not getting a Xbox one right away like I am...