Nokia teases HERE Maps imminent announcement with automakers

HERE Maps

It’s easy to forget that Nokia does more than just make smartphones. They actually have business units that do other things, like their excellent HERE location platform that powers the maps on your Windows Phone device. It also looks like your next car may have HERE services on board.

Over at the Nokia Conversations blog they’ve released a small post, just a teaser of news coming tomorrow. What’s in store? It could be anything really. Maybe more automakers signing up to use HERE maps as their data source for navigation. Maybe it's something else.

HERE Tease

GigaOM recently sat down Nokia’s VP of Location and Commerce, Michael Halbherr. In the piece they detail scenarios where data from Nokia’s services could help a vehicle determine the most efficient route based on gas consumption, traffic, distance, and other variables.

Back in September of last year, Nokia did sign deals with automakers like BMW, Mercedes, Garmin, Hyundai, Pioneer, and Volkswagen Group to power location services.

It looks like we’ll find out tomorrow.

Source: Nokia Conversations

Comments

Zokudu says:

I think it says something about the quality of the here map data when the likes of BMW and Mercedes are using it. Maybe the announcement will be some US manufacturers getting on board.

tbonenga says:

I hope not. IDK what GM uses now but it's pretty good. My Nokia Drive doesn't work well at all in Atlanta, GA

Josh Harman says:

Especially around 400

bradbamford says:

I agree, maybe it's just the southeast, but Here maps had sucked for accuracy.
The UI is great, and the Speed Limit warning is awesome, but it's failed me so many times here in Georgia that I just can't trust it.
I still use it a lot for normal day to day use, but I when I go on a trip I trust GMapsPro to find the best route.

stephen_az says:

It is not just the southeast. Nokia's Here apps are absolutely embarrassing in Phoenix. It is better than a few months ago when it would give directions onto roads blocked by 20 year old canals as if they were through roads, but it still will direct me off a highway miles short of my destination instead of taking the exit at the destination, and will give the most silly of circuitous directions that sometimes don't even end in the correct place. This doesn't even touch the stupidity of a maps/driving app that can't figure out that if you are going to an address in the east valley and a road crosses a highway in two locations (one in Scottsdale and one in the east valley) you probably do not want to take the Scottsdale exit and drive 15 miles on surface streets. The latest instance was having the app tell me to turn right at a T intersection on Camelback Road and then make a U-Turn in 500 yards instead of just going left at the intersection in the first place. For the most part, I homestly only turn the app on at times to see if it has improved and/or for amusement value. Only Apple's app is worse in my opinion. While I like my phone, having Nokia's Here technology bundled in a car would have me reconsidering buying the vehicle.

bradbamford says:

I have to guess that this is a windows phone issue only. I mean Navteq was never that bad, right? Nokia says, that 4 out of 5 GPS's are powered by Nokia (navteq).
I think part of the issue is, they are too aggressive with battery savings and don't have a hard lock on your GPS, so instead of constantly polling the GPS, they have a delay and then use algorithms to approximate your position. This works great on long straight road like interstates, but is awful in town with roads that are clustered close together.

waded says:

I got the turn-right-then-U-turn-and-turn-right once. Granted, I was up in the mountains in Idaho, but "U-turn" here means driving a 1 lane dirt road with brush encroachment on either side to the top of a peak, doing the U turn in front of a road-closed barrier where the road is actually wide enough to turn the car around, then coming back down a mile, then turning right. So it was a bit of an affront.

wpn00b says:

I had an issue with the HERE mapping until I changed the settings. At first it was by default avoiding toll roads so I got really odd directions when I was making a trip to San Francisco, CA, USA. I went into the settings and adjusted it so that it took a "Balanced" route and included toll roads and whatever other options were in there (I can't be bothered to go grab my phone at the moment).
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is try adjusting the settings and see if this helps in your area.

zorb58 says:

Ford employs Microsoft's sync technology.  Maybe this will catalyze a relationship between FoMoCo and Nokia.

tribexx says:

As a Ford owner, I doubt this would happen...because it would make sense. /s

bradbamford says:

I just don't see how it makes a lot sense.
Microsoft owns the Platform OS, not Nokia. Nokia is a 3rd Party and therefore could be seen as a threat to Microsoft's business relationship with Ford.
If Ford forms a great relationship with Nokia, later down the road they could drop Microsoft and choose to go with Nokia's flavor of Android with Here Maps.

snailium says:

Android with Here Maps is possible. However, Here Drive will never get onto Android, as long as Nokia is still using Windows Phone.

Yes, MS is the platform provider to Ford. Nokia can be the location/navigation data provider, which is on top of the platform. So there is not much conflict on business relationship.

bradbamford says:

I guess that's kind of my point. Unless market share dramatically increases, Nokia will be running Android on its phones when their Windows Phone's exclusivity contract is up.
Like it or not, that is just a fact.
I happen to not like it, and think it would be the nail in the coffin for a great OS, Windows Phone.

Zokudu says:

Except Nokia chose to be Windows Phone exclusive. Their brand is synonymous with Windows Phone and the whole point was to be a big fish in a little pond. The idea has worked, why leave just as they're looking to return to profitability.

bradbamford says:

Elop did choose to be Windows Phone exclusive, but again unless sales really pickup, they will not be sticking with Microsoft exclusivly after the exclusivity terms have expired.
Their Brand is NOKIA, not windows phone. There are a lot more Nokia phones in the channel than windows phones. Again that's the problem, Windows Phone marketshare MUST grow, or Nokia's shareholders will call for change (they already are, and it will grow).
If the ship doesn't turn around, and Elop tries to stick with WP, he won't be there anymore either. Shareholder's are not looking for simply returning to profitability, they want significant profit. The margins are thin, they need volume.
The truth is, if the 1020 was running Android, everyone would be talking about it as the Latest thing. It would be selling 5-10 times as many of them. I don't think it would be a better phone, but it would have sold a lot more.

Tips_y says:

You have it wrong - Elop did not choose WP, Google made the choice for them when they refused Nokia's request for some concessions (re some Nokia services). In case you didn't know, Elop first approached Google. Only after Nokia couldn't get concessions from Google did they approach Microsoft.

bradbamford says:

LOL, yes they shopped around and even considered their own platforms, but in the end they ended up choosing Windows Phone.

mv740 says:

...yes leave a ecosystem where they dominate to enter another where samsung own 95% lol ask htc if they like being with android, i dont see them selling more because of that os

bradbamford says:

True HTC is struggling, but HTC sold more Android devices this year than they and Nokia sold Windows Phones.

Snazrael says:

This would be great for traffic readings on our phones. Doesn't seem to be very accurate at the moment, at least not in Chi.

rebinoh says:

I don't know where you're using it or where you're trying to go, but I am new here and HERE Drive, Maps and Transit have saved me times than I can recall. It works beautifully for me.

Works fine in San Francisco Bay Area. Found some new routes that are better than what I used to take.

wpn00b says:

Change your app settings. If you look at the preferences, it might be looking for the "Fastest" route vs the "Shortest" route, or it might be avoiding highways or toll roads. That's what happened to me. It works great now.

Mark Cesari says:

That would be cool to have Here navigation in place of the usual efforts...

RyanAMG says:

come on Mercedes...

DenisSuncity says:

Will be nice, but only when all options will be included. There are few things that are vital when you drive and do not want to stop and search: POI selection like petrol stations, rerouting option and alternative road selection - I lost two hours last week when tried to get to the road I wand instead going through motorway. And of course speed cameras.
I heard that some of those options are already on the Nokia's to do list.

hellodav7 says:

Love here maps. Saved my bacon several times.

tgr42 says:

Well I hope they make a hell of a lot more reliable than it is on phones...  and then carry that over to the phones.  My Garmin nuvi never froze up once in many years of faithful service.

goncaluu says:

The future is, Nokia Lumia Car 5080 with Windows Mobile Car 9, plus, a bonus, release of the Official YouTube app in HTML (Avaible only on WMC 9)

Jaskys says:

Nice joke there buddy! /not

Reflexx says:

Doesn't Garmin us Nokia's location data for their GPS units?

inurear says:

Technically, this is not a Windows Phone article.

The platform most of these automakers are commited to are QNX (the backbone of blackberry). Seeing that QNX is a customizable OS with full HTML5 capabilities, HERE's api's integrate fantastically with it.

Sam Sabri says:

Technically, we know when we should or shouldn't post things to our website. This is one of those times. Check back tomorrow.

ade333 says:

Sam, you could have just told him to fuck off. We're down with that when people act like a DB.

Duffau says:

I think Sam was dropping a hint; or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

ade333 says:

Yeah I agree with ya, Duff. I'm pretty sure he was, but my point is that the writers here don't need to justify the relevancy of something they post.

jjmurphy says:

Sam, you just handed out a ticket to the burn clinic.

uopjo6 says:

To me WP is Nokia already. MS should just hand the whole division to Nokia (which is basically what they are doing already). Its painful to see Nokia be so aggressive only to be pulled back by MS. Without Nokia WP would've been completely dead IMO.

Duffau says:

I think Nokia would have a hard time without MS though. If WP dies, MS will be fine. Symbian was declining, meego would have more trouble than MS in the app department (especially without MS's deep pockets), and android would be problematic. Aside from Samsung's dominance, google would have Nokia use their services, and Nokia would want to use their own. Sorry about the OT =D

Your statement hasn't anything to do with this post. It's also tired and dated... "IMO"

penetronn says:

May make my next vehicle choice a lot easier.

As someone looking to buy a car soon, I second this. It wouldn't be the only factor, but I'd certainly take it into consideration.

imprezart says:

Would like to see mirrorlink add to windows phone

dormamu says:

I second that motion.... Microsoft (and Nokia) should get off their lazy asses and implement Mirrorlink as soon as possible in WP if they don't also want to lose the car entertainment war that is coming.

felickz says:

Microsoft, please don't get left behind on this!!!

AgentSplurge says:

Whack this in the new Fiesta ST and I'll literally throw my money at them

casualk says:

Nokia already control over 80%of all in car navigation. Don't forget they own NavTEQ.

I hope this means Nokia has some new basic features they're getting ready to unveil. Right now Nokia is far behind Google Maps and the pace Google works aat will continue to keep them in the lead for a long time. Nokia needs to really step it up here and bring basic features to their mapping products.

Fellipe Abib says:

What about Microsoft (Ford) MySync?

Duffau says:

And Toyota. Maybe an app for their car system.

mateole17 says:

Here maps is ok but I find navigon to be much more accurate.

Funny, since Navigon maps are...you guessed it.. powered by navteq/here/nokia ;)

mateole17 says:

Well Navigon has found a better way to implement the data then. Here maps consistently takes me to the wrong location so I fall back to Navigon and it gets me there.

wpn00b says:

Change. The. Settings.

I wonder what will be announced tomorrow :P

K_lando says:

This is totally stupid... but it just occured to me this week that HERE maps also has a website, ala Google Maps.

Obviously, when I use my phone, I head straight to Here maps/Navigation... it works for my needs and haven't run into any issues with it.

But it never occured to me that when I'm looking up directions online via PC, that I should head to Here maps rather than Google Maps or even Mapquest (hahaha... mapquest, that's funny...).

And, if you go to Here maps via mobile web browser, they have a mobilized version as well... which means anyone could use the web version of Here maps,  even iOS and Google users.

Now, nothing about any of that is ground breaking... all I'm saying is those things were not really known to me until I thought about it this week .  Even if most of you say "DUH dude, its obvious", I would say that its not obvious to the average consumer and not anything you see promotions for.
I would think that Nokia should push harder to get consumers to realize the web-presence that HERE has.  Is it an uphill battle, like BIng Vs Google? Sure.  But if you can establish value to a bunch of people using your product via web/PC, those people might say "Oh, Nokia phones use the Here maps that I've been using online? Maybe I'll buy a Nokia... hmm..."

Duffau says:

The Here app is also available on iOS (not sure about android). Its not as full featured as the one on my 1020, but its there. I put it on my moms iPhone and iPad.

bobbyboy310 says:

Im in LA and its not accurate for me. Constantly gives me bad directions. Typically telling me to get off freeway and take surface streets for no apparent reason.VERY disappointing from Nokia.

makarand14 says:

Garmin and Pioneer are automakers?? Since when?

Sam Sabri says:

I clumsily clumped them in with the rest. I should have just said companies in the "automotive industry". Both Garmin and Pioneer make aftermark parts for cars. Pioneer and Garmin both make those nav units you can install and they come in a variety of form factors.

makarand14 says:

Precisely!!

BTW, I liked your use of "clumsily clumped"

teckris says:

If this happens in India soon, I will be really happy..

wize72 says:

That's an Audi A4 dashboard.....

Lych says:

Navteq is, and has been a major map supplier to the navigation industry for quite a few years now. The whole HERE functionality is really nice when you talk about it, but the thing is: it most likely won't happen. This is essentially due to two things:
1. it only gets included if the car company specifically wants it to be included
2. if it is feasible. More often than not the hardware is a huge bottleneck and your average Nokia 510 has better specs than most of the devices under your dashboard. No, I'm not exaggerating.
Reason I'm saying this is because I work in the navigation software industry. I can confirm that Navteq gets used in/by the software in 6 out of the 6 companies you mentioned above (do note that Garmin and Pioneer are not "automakers", however :) )

They need to improve it before I'd trust it in a car. The rerouting is abysmal and basically comprises of asking me to U turn to get back to its original route.

Twice too I've been sent down roads that were dead ends yet shown as through roads on Here.

JOJOatDK says:

It's Mirror Link coming to WP - I think
Look:
"A few new V1.1 phones are expected to be available by the end of 2013 and will most likely be Windows phones with Android phones to follow next year, said analyst Gareth Owen of ABI Research"

Member list

btgusto says:

whatever it is i hope dodge gets the same UI as what my 920 HERE GPS has.  I live in Houston and have had no issues with using GPS.  Dodge uses Garmin's UI.  HERE is a little cleaner in comparison

I like HERE services a lot, but I definitely can agree there are some big opportunities for Nokia to accomplish.