Dell brings back the Venue, but not how you think

Dell Venue

Nearly three years ago when Windows Phone 7 launched one handset stood out amongst them all. The Dell Venue Pro was a device with a keyboard slider, but in portrait orientation. It was truly unique and one of the most interesting Windows Phone devices of all time. Unfortunately, its greatness was marred by buggy Wi-Fi and other issues. Now Dell is reviving the Venue brand, but not how you think.

Over at IDF in San Francisco, Dell took the wraps of their upcoming Windows 8.1 tablet. It also happens to be a mini tablet, measuring 8.1-inches. You’ll also find a 1080p display on the Venue, which is powered by Intel’s brand new Bay Trail processor. Which should provide a significant boost in both power and battery life. You have an HDMI out port for video, a microSD card slot to expand storage, docking port, and microUSB (to charge). Check out images at the source link below.

Dell plans to unveil more details on the tablet on October 2nd and presumably will be available a few short weeks later for the launch of Windows 8.1.

Anybody interested in an 8.1-inch tablet running Windows 8.1? Which tablets are currently in the running as your next?

Source: The Verge

Thanks for the tip danial!

Comments

Sam Sabri says:

It does look like a nice device. Plus 1080p display on 8 inches = awesome sauce.

sri_tech says:

Some sites saying its 1200x800 display. I hope they price it well.

By the way, ASUS announced 10.1 inch Windows 8 tablet (1366x768) for $349. Keyboard dock included in that price.

This is just awesome pricing for full windows tablet with dock.

Zulfigar says:

Look! Double-Double wide weather app!

peterfares says:

Yeah that's in 8.1 I have it on my tablet PC.

I saw that. U can't wait till the bloggers start to compare each Windows 8.1 Tablet. I need the cheapest one that runs the best.

vijax21 says:

When you find one please let me know ;)

Andre Blonde says:

Size? Checked. OS? Checked. Processor? Checked. Cellular connection? Haven't done any research yet on this tablet. But hell if this one doesn't have, im going to silently cry in the darkest corner of my room. Please somebody release the 4G enabled 8 inches windows 8.1 tablet, with nice screen. (no need for full hd retina like screen) with good to awesome battery life. Why this cant happen?

tacofiend says:

Are there any Modern UI apps for torrenting yet? That's really 1 thing that's holding me back, I love Transdroid on my Nexus 7 for downloading stuff to my laptop's media server. I bought into the Luma Kickstarter and am thinking around April when it comes out it might be a good time to jump into a Windows 8 tablet since I'll have huge amounts of cloud storage for everything. I know you can still get uTorrent or something but a Modern UI app would make it better.

It looks very Nokia-ish...

Jas00555 says:

Give me a decent price and I'm sold

kurotsuki says:

Btw, how did 1080p screen running the desktop? Is it full resolution or a scaled one? I have 11" netbook that utilize 768p and the text already looks small enough to force me full focused on the screen while coding using default settings. 1080p over 8" will makes me need a magnifier unless they offer scaled resolution on the desktop part.

peterfares says:

Desktop has supported scaling since Windows XP

numetheus says:

My Surface Pro runs well. Text isn't too small because Windows has always let you select scaling. So you just select something bigger. Boom! Problem solved.

kurotsuki says:

Ahh ... I see. Glad to hear that.

TechBizJP says:

Bittersweet Shimmer

Does it come with office? If not, what 8 inch tablets come with office?

ExTrAbUtTa says:

Whoa. This could be something serious. I def like the specs and could really see businesses getting this.

Woohoo windows 8 ftw

Dadstar0410 says:

I want more rt options! Gosh.

Nokia has some in the pipeline. :-) I currently have a Surface RT, but was thinking an 8" x86 tablet would be a good complement to it, actually. We'll see what the 8" RT is like, though, before I commit.

Menzlo says:

Why would you want RT over Bay Trail?

kurotsuki says:

The advantage of RT over BayTrail? Well, since it basically limited in app installation, you wouldn't find any malwares that might be installed by your kids or even your other tech-illiterate family members for example. The 2nd advantage is connectivity. BayTrail needs aditional chip to provide HSPA or even LTE and this adds additional power consumption which usually bigger compared to one that already integrated on the SoC like Snapdragon 800.
So all has advantages and disadvantages on their part.

coip says:

That's a good point about RT offering more protection against malware.

teaMJPx says:

This is a nice device. Portable enough and powerful. good combo.

By the way... Change the "now" on the title to "not".

Sam Sabri says:

Huh? ;)

And I totally agree, on paper is seems like a nice device. Can't wait to see which one we all end up liking the most.

teaMJPx says:

Yeah. If T-Mobile doesn't get the 1520 this may very well be a good contender to complement my L925... We shall see, seems like there are many devices being announced/uncovered as of late and that just makes me happy... Now if I could just get my wife to get me all I want for Christmas... jejeje

Nik Rolls says:

URL still has 'now', but I guess it's too late for that ... ;-)

mikefeero says:

At some point you have to wonder if you guys are putting these typos in there on purpose to mess with these cats.

Keep up the good writing, if I can understand it, im cool with it. You guys are my main source of Microsoft knowledge.

Sam Sabri says:

And you're the inspiration for all the writing, but not the inspiration for any errors. Just blame Paul :p

blessthejon says:

Wow. Dell actually has a nice design.

clappenings says:

Ooh. This may put the 1520 up against it

DalekSnare says:

1520 isn't running Windows 8 or even RT. They're very different devices.

MikeSo says:

You're wrong. This is actually exactly what I thought when it said they were bringing the Venue back.

The Dell Venue Pro was a WP7 handset. I had one and loved it. The Dell Venue was an Android handset. So Dell has reappropriated an Android brand for us. I'm fine with that. :-)

The venue pro was my first choice in wp7 but it wasn't available at the local att so I got a focus instead back in 2011 and I'm still rocking it.

jbrandonf says:

I wanted the DVP so bad when it came out. I would love to see what Nokia could do with a vertical slider.

It might be an easier transition for those Blackberry holdouts.

enzom09 says:

it's how i transitioned from BB to windows phone two years ago

AccentAE86 says:

Next tablet in the running?  A Haswell powered Helix.  I can only hope.  8 inches is a bit too small for a real productivity device IMO, it turns mainly into a play toy.  My phone is my play toy, I need something to do real work on.

Siah1214 says:

Then get a surface.  My phone is a work device, my surface is a work device.  Would really like a 7 or 8 in tablet for a play toy.

AccentAE86 says:

I do love the design and build quality of the surface, but the Helix design is really calling my name.  I actually spend a lot of time working with my laptop on my lap!  The surface tablets' weakness is that they don't work well on the lap with the keyboard.  For many this isn't an issue, but for me, it just doesn't work.
While I do like the idea of an 8" windows tablet, I like the idea of a 11" tablet more because the bigger tablet can still do all the fun stuff!  Then I don't need a smaller play toy.  Less devices is better imo!  =)

wpguy says:

Surface + keyboard + on lap = just fine. I use mine that way daily.

8" can work for some things, such as reviewing a spreadsheet and making only minor alterations (like adding quantities to an ordering spreadsheet). Also, keep in mind that you could output this over HDMI to a TV set for portable productivity.

andreirlopes says:

"Which tablets are currently in the running as your next?"
Now this (Venue) or Surface (both RT and Pro) or Sirius (what may be used as improvements to Surface RT).

Tragic says:

I'm all over this!

Mr_Mop says:

Dell was smart enough to put a 1080p display in this rather than a 1280x800. Hopefully, battery life won't suffer from the screen.

Tips_y says:

Some sites report The Dell Venue Windows 8.1 to have 1280x800 screen so the 1080p in the article needs to be rechecked.

EBynum says:

Yep, the CNET article says a Dell spokeswoman said it has a 1280x800 IPS display. Here's the link:
Can WPCentral try to verify the screen resolution?

donteatchalk says:

"but not how you think" it says "but now how you think" in the article description

sholokov says:

Yes..it still does.

IceDree says:

Temping ... Really Tempting!
If the price is right, adios Xoom , its been fun, I'll miss the Aluminum back .

Now, I'll just add this to my list of candidates , which includes the Surface RT (expensive here though) & Asus Vivotab .

Rockartisten says:

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npSKqzYdO8Y
Less than 400g
External keyboard option
NFC
WiDi
LTE option
External keyboard option
...and "alot of stuff", as he put it. :)

Rockartisten says:

..."the first in a whole range of Venue tablets".

aleunge says:

Hmm, it doesn't look like full HD in the video. i'm not completely sure but i have the acer w3 and it looks about the same resolution in desktop. Hope l'm wrong!
Thanks for the video link!

Rockartisten says:

He says Full HD in the video. Remember, MS has improved scaling significantely in Windows 8.1.

umovies says:

wasnt even remotely thinking about a 8 inch device but this one is interesting 1080p wow

MethodGT says:

I'm hoping there's GPS on it as well.

bahamut443 says:

Price? Also will the Surface Pro stylus be compatible?

theefman says:

IDF is in San Francisco, IFA was in Berlin.

sholokov says:

You mean "not" how you think. (within the article, not the heading).

Sam Sabri says:

Thanks man, I think the keys on my Surface touch cover switched up ;)

donteatchalk says:

I was just about to buy a Surface Pro and this comment made me decide against it.

enzom09 says:

I miss my dell venue pro...

onysi says:

Im still using my dvp. I really need someone to make a portrait slider. Hopefully dell will revive dvp for windows phone 8.

strikeIII says:

A full featured PC in a 8.1 inch form factor with 8.1 sounds like it can be very useful.

WP8fan says:

How much?

OMG55 says:

Well, looks like this May overtake the Nokia 1520 if they will support it and bring developers on board

jbrandonf says:

Different product classes.

MacDaMachine says:

Damn that actually looks good.

After being f'ed royally with the Venue Pro, there is absolutely nothing they could do to get me to purchase it. Over a year to fix the phone from crashing 20 times a day (and that's not an exaggeration).

K_lando says:

I agree here.  I did love my DVP and I still actually have it (Its basically my tableside alarm clock now), but I'll be damned if I ever pick up any mobile Dell device again ,and I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have any hardware issues.

What bugs me is how soon Dell crapped out on support for the DVP.  You want an update?  Dell says ask MS.  MS says ask you carrier.  You ask you carrier, they say go ask Dell.  What a bunch of turds.  Never again will I buy a device that isn't officially supported by my carrier.

Granted... that may not apply to a Windows 8 tablet... but I'm not taking chances with Dell support.

theoldwolfus says:

I have to say that this is now my top contender. I want an 8 incher (giggity), and neither the W3 nor Toshiba's effort have done it for me. If Dell's unit (giggitygiggity) has good build quality plus a decent screen, I'll pull the trigger.
On paper it sounds like it has what I'm looking for, but we all know how specs that look good on paper can frequently turn out to be rubbish in reality. Fingers crossed. Kinda hoping to have a tablet before a vacation I'm taking at the end of October. Come on, Dell, you can do it!

JamesDax3 says:

My only concern it that since it's coming from Dell and has a 1080p screen that this one will be priced over $400.

Menzlo says:

The 10" Asus Bay Trail tablet is $350 and comes with a keyboard. I think it'll come in around $350 or $400.

"Anybody interested in an 8.1-inch tablet running Windows 8.1? Which tablets are currently in the running as your next?"

No full-sized USB port = no purchase.

One of the greatest advantages of Windows 8, is compatibility with the full gamut of peripherals dating back to USB 1.1 in many cases.  Shame to give all that up just because the Win 8 device in question has a tablet formfactor.  Microsoft was right to include a full-sized USB port on the Surface (even Surface RT has one), as it gives the tablet a clear useability advantage over every Android tablet and iPad on the market (for anyone who actually cares to look past marketing hype, and at what their tablet is actually capable of accomplishing).  I truly think more OEMs should follow Microsoft's example - and I pray that Microsoft does not backtrack on full USB support with Surface 2.  Matter of fact, on Surface 2, I hope that Microsoft doubles down, and include a full-sized USB 3 port.

Perhaps Dell will include a full-sized USB port on the Venue docking station, but I still would prefer to have one embedded directly into the tablet.  I (and many others) may not feel like purchase the docking station (which are usually overpriced anyway).  I can just as easily "dock" my tablet using my own keyboard, printer, mouse, and external storage.   Taking away my option to do that by not supporting a full-sized USB port, is only going to push me more toward purchasing a Surface, than purchasing a competing tablet.  Don't get me wrong, that does not mean that I think full-sized USB ports on the docking station is a bad idea - I think it is a primo idea, in fact.  Just that I like to have at least one included on the tablet itself.

Ticomfreak says:

Surface Pro already has a full sized USB 3.0 port...

I wish they add one more USB 3.0 port.

MethodGT says:

I really hope it has a stylus slot built in.

jlynnm350z says:

Dell. . . Blaaaa!! Although sounds interesting

TrustySnooze says:

I think it would be pretty cool if some of these smaller tablets had a USB port in order to use the Xbox controller.

dukrem says:

Now THAT is an exciting device. 1080p sounds great!

awesumjon says:

I just hope I can afford it. . .

ambroShuS says:

a part of me is still waiting for Nokia to release a portrait slider phone like the DVP

psh! bring back the Dell Venue Pro! Give me a GDR3 WP8 sliider with that portrait keyboard! I miss that phone...
Gone, but not forgotten.

Sam Sabri says:

That was my first Windows Phone device. Loved everything about it, even if Wi-Fi was wonky. Sadly.. dropped it on a patch of ice while in Park City, Utah when I was about to shred the slopes! Gnarly day.

onysi says:

Im still rocking my dvp. Im on my 2nd device, thanks to eBay. But they're slowly disappearing on eBay.. I fucking love this baby and its portrait keyboard slider.

RayWP7 says:

Oh this is interesting news...

jwinch2 says:

It depends on whether or not they plan to load it up with crapware like they do their pc's.

yeungl says:

I am a Dell Venue Pro user. Although I am still using the phone, one advice you all: STAY AWAY FROM DELLLLLLLL!

Lumia 8x says:

6 times I sent back while I was using it due to slider mechanism issues... Lovely device, horrible construction. Not to mention dusts getting inside the screen.

Now that those who were fighting Michael Dell's Microsoft backed bid for Dell have given up, perhaps Dell will again be convinced to become a Windows Phone OEM?

ThePKReddy says:

That's the beauty of the Microsoft model...you have options for different needs..

This sound like the tablet I've been looking for. The W700 wasn't powerful enough and the surface was too big. This tablet sounds perfect.

Jon Ghast says:

You do understand that the Core series chip in the W700 is significantly more powerful than the Bay Trail chip this uses, right?

sumton says:

so far its the best 8inch windows8.1 tablet let see what microsoft and the rest of OEMs will offer

lippidp says:

Has Bing been going in and out lately? I hit the Search key on my WP and nothing comes up. Anyway, no I won't be getting this or any other tablet. WP + laptop is all I need.

RyanDaLyon says:

Haha I literally just bought a VP on eBay, got it in today!! I want a break from my Lumia 920

TreizFaction says:

I'm looking forward to a 6" phone, not sure I will need a tab to go with it. I may just replace my laptop with a surface pro 2 or something like it.

If only I didn't hate Dell and Microsoft hadn't just acquired Nokia devices... this would definitely be of interest. As is, my Surface RT will serve me until some sweet Nokia tablet arrives.

ejlee072006 says:

I dont trust DELL!!!

Ticomfreak says:

Dell is a great OEM, don't understand all the hate with them.

Especially compared to HP.

S Vaibhav says:

Hp is way better than dell........rocking a 7 year old hp pc that can play AC3 at high ;)

I don't understand the hate either. I've had several PCs from them and their support was great. At times, they follow up more than once to check my issue was closed.

sicnus says:

lol, list problems with their last WinPhone, add the Dell quality history... Then read all the fools going on about all the " stuff " this one has. So many scrubs. There are so many other brands I would consider over Dell. Dell is trash.

HarkAtYou says:

Surely the only unique thing about the portrait mode sliding keyboard was that it was on a windows phone device? Seeing as plenty of other phone have them... Even some windows mobile devices, like the XDA

AndyGriff says:

I've never had serious issues with Dell, either as a consumer or as an enterprise customer (in fact, their business support is second to none). I think the biggest issue with the Venue Pro is that it was about six months late, by which time everyone had run out of patience. I've only ever seen one out in the wild and it is a stunning-looking device.

Nakazul says:

+1. Wasn't there also some bad bugs when it came out further sending it to the grave?

pr0phecy says:

Checked out the screenshots. This thing got bezel! I know you need a bezel to hold a tablet properly, but this is ridiculous. I'm not a thick-bezel-kinda-dude...

DeepK7 says:

USB3 would make it stellar!!

Vistaus says:

It was unique? Not really. Palm/HP had already been popular with portrait keyboard sliders before the Venue Pro launched. The Venue Pro was awesome, agreed, but not unique.

Dean McCrae says:

How was it awesome if it had problems with something as basic as wi-fi, and subsequently failed?

penetronn says:

Form factor was awesome

Dell venue pro was a king and still got game in design,dell should bring it back win wp 8.1. it will be a win win for them.

Nakazul says:

Cool stuff. Great size.

NAMISH says:

I'm on the lookout for a good but not too pricey windows 8.1 tablet (pro)... Right now the ones that are available are too high priced (in Pakistan)... Looking forward to what the newly unveiled tablets will bring to the table!

Dean McCrae says:

I'm done with Dell. Bad experience with their service when having problems with a laptop. They don't get that there is a lot of choice out there.

NFLPLAYBOOK says:

Manufactored by Dell. I'll pass.

penetronn says:

Really interested in this. Loved my Dell Venue Pro form factor - hated the bugs though. This may replace my surface pro

Blu3V3nom07 says:

That looks great! I wonder how much it costs.

myjota says:

Tablet with slide keyboard

eutonl says:

I like what Im seeing

K_lando says:

Based on the above comments, seems like to me I should consider selling my Dell VP on eBay now.  Before when I looked it up, no one was buying.  Hmm...

Church Punk says:

Do want! I sure hope we get it for x-mas!!!