How To

Want the Lumia Cyan update? You need to downgrade your phone first.

AT&T's Lumia 1520 is now getting the Windows Phone 8.1 update

Lumia 1520 reportedly now getting Lumia Cyan in Finland and India

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Editor's Choice

8 months later, the Lumia 1520 is still amazing

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Foursquare app for Windows Phone blocked to download for some Lumia 1520 owners

Microsoft begins certifying hardware running Windows Phone 8.1 for Bluetooth 4.0 LE

Microsoft shows off the #SustainableLumia 1520 in green with recycled back cover

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

From the Forums

Is it fair to consider the size of the Lumia 1520 as a con?

Nokia October Event

Nokia to hold event on October 22nd to "reinvent innovation"; expect the Lumia 1520

Nokia never ceases to innovate. That's the mind-set for the majority of it customers and also the company, who has taken to Twitter to unveil an event happening on October 22nd.

What makes this date so special? Nokia cancelled a New York event for this month, which was to announce the Lumia 1520, a 6-inch Windows Phone and also a Windows 8 RT Tablet. There's not much to go on regarding location, but there are some subtle hints in the image, we're sure.

Nokia October Event

Earlier, the Twitter account Evleaks reported an October 22nd date for Nokia's next "launch" and that appears to be accurate. So what do we expect to see at this event? We believe this announcement will be what was to be held in September - expect to see the Lumia 1520 (as noted above), as well as a potential Windows tablet codenamed 'Sirius' from Nokia and other accessories that are surely to follow.

Yesterday Windows Phone Central reported that the Lumia 1520 will be launching on AT&T on November 8th for an expected $699 off-contract price tag. The device will also come in four colors, including red, yellow, white and black. With the October 22nd date on hand, that will give Nokia and AT&T a two week launch window for the device, falling in line with their recent Lumia 1020 and Lumia 925 launches.

Check out our recent coverage of the upcoming device. We'll reach out to Nokia and see what more we can dig up.

Source: Nokia (Twitter)

Comments

clappenings says:

Here we go.....1520 please

Jaskys says:

Lumia 3310 please.

cannon#WP says:

Lumia 3395 with Snake game please

I have a cell phone that has an app that makes phone calls

Mayur says:

Matrix phone please...

Dang3rMause says:

Yes! I still have the 'Matrix phone', its dead and has no battery but damn it feels good to flick down the cover :P

Wasn't there an even planned for it thus month? Was it moved up?

Jaskys says:

Did you even read? "Nokia cancelled a New York event for this month, which was to announce the Lumia 1520, a 6-inch Windows Phone."

tribexx says:

Is it a "fact" that the event was to launch the 1520? Or was that just a rumor?

We expected 1520, then tablet, then both, but I never read a confirmation.....

ymcpa says:

It's a rumor, but there isn't much else they could announce. There hasn't been a company that could keep a secret for a while.

winphoneng says:

Except for Microsoft Surface.

walter1832 says:

A little thing got in the way. MS buying NOK

thetuxmask says:

Or maybe just wanted a launch closer to release like they have done with Lumia 1020 and 925

lubbalots says:

Or GDR3 not ready.

^^
This! Having an announcement later, and the phone being released right then within two weeks is better than being announced early, then released 2 months later.

TechBizJP says:

I agree to Steve Jobs there.. The release dates and launch date should be enough to those hungry craving WP users. including me..haha

aitt says:

Wow people like can't read.

Rishicash says:

"Like" is completely unecessary in your sentence. I wish it were banned from the English language altogether.

Bob Shiska says:

I would like that as well.

Oh, wait...

aitt says:

Not sure I would like that.

It would be creepy telling every girl you love her on the first date.

Rishicash says:

Nah. Not it you wave a few Benjamins in front of her while you say it.

Fekkern says:

Tell her you appreciate her instead, or that she is interesting or hay gurl u want sum fuk

Rishicash says:

Maybe borrow from the Brits and use "fancy" instead. Just try using that every other word!

wpguy says:

I fancy that.

Lumia 8x says:

Wow people like can't speak English.

julgonqu says:

Deberian sacarlo mas rapido para Latinoamérica!!

Here comes Hit the Lights or whatever new account he has made now, saying your comment was "Racist".

Dont speak gibberish

Jf.Vigor says:

Edmonds, any chance you think they would announce the 1520, tablet, and in addition... Any '1520 variants'? In the past, the only variant to get a big announcement wad the 925 if I remember correctly. But it would be nice if they gave some attention to t mobile and verizon's offerings because often they look just as attractive as the originals

theefman says:

They could at least finish rolling out the 1020 first.

I'll tell them to postpone this. It's true, they should not launch another phone until the other one has launched everywhere they intend. Makes total sense from a business perspective to have less devices available and fewer media outlets covering big announcements.

J Papi says:

The sarcasm :D

Blocks9 says:

I wish you would learn how to speak to your readers. You should read the definition of 'etiquette', and try applying it to your posts.

Jf.Vigor says:

Rubino doesn't care. Can't expect him to change who he is. I respect it and honestly look towards his response to stupid comments. Gotta think it's for the greater good. He's making wpc readers more intelligent commenters!

ejb222 says:

it's not who he is. It's how he acts. These are 2 different things. IF you are blatantly calling him a sarcastic jerk...then you can take that up with him. But I for one agree that the first couple times Dan abruptly confronted a commenter it was entertaining. Now it is just telling. Unfortunately most people I know that resort to abrasive sarcasm as their first response to anything tend to be angry people that aren't really fun to be around...no matter how witty or clever the retorts might seem. I surely hope for Daniel's sake he can find peace that would relieve him of that and we can see his intellegence and wit used in the likes of Billy Chrystal for example.

ymcpa says:

He is using perfectly normal etiquette for a tech blog. Sarcasm is part of the experience.

WhyFiNYC says:

I bet you Rubino wishes that some readers would not make comments that, upon reflection for 15 seconds or less, are incredibly naive.

rodneyej says:

Innovation ➡ 6in Photovoltaic screen.

Jf.Vigor says:

Dont get me all super excited now. I was hyped enough about the phone as is

Translation: STFU U POS BBQ IDK TTYL

MBaughan says:

It might be easier for you to say, Daniel, because you're in the US, and you get access to all of the devices first. I mean, up here in Canada, we don't have the 1020 yet, and seeing a new awesome device like the 1520 might really make people hold off on picking up a 1020. I know that's the boat I'm in right now... Then again, we might not see a GDR3 device up in the great white north until Q3 or Q4, judging by the really slow rate we have been getting WP devices across all carriers.

I guess it is more of a speculative demand issue on the part of Canadian carriers than a production capacity issue of Nokia.

euichii says:

Here in the Philippines 925 launched just last August if I'm not mistaken. Maybe 1020 is ready for Christmas, 1520 for Q2, and perhaps windows phone blue next Christmas. How awesome.

ikissfutebol says:

If the typical person only keeps one device, what difference does it make if their purchase is his week or the next? As long as they buy Nokia, I don't think they care about a week or even a month.

Fekkern says:

Maybe they won't buy Nokia because the device will already be "old" when released and they don't want to pay full price for old tech.

MBaughan says:

Or maybe they'll hold of on buying a device within a certain period of time (in this case it might be between now/whenever the 1020 is available in Canada vs. when the GDR3 devices start becoming available). People might be less apt to get a great device like the 1020 if the "new standard" of WP devices is on the near horizon.
Basically if the 1020 was available in Canada 3 months ago, I would have one right now and wouldn' event be considering the 5.8/6" beast known as the 1520.

theefman says:

Sarcasm unnecessary. Its not unreasonable to expect their current flagship device to be widely available before launching another one. Isn't that what the "Osbourne effect" is all about? And is Nokia capable of rolling out two flagship devices at the same time when in the past they have struggled to distribute just one? Pointless having big announcements but the device announced can't actually be bought.

Jf.Vigor says:

If you're insinuating the 1020 or the 1520 are flagships, they are not. They are BOTH niche devices. Just awesome niche devices ;)

_Emi_ says:

its funny, a mod in forums told me i was "condescending" for speaking like this and then I got infraction because I said there was no point in trying to discuss in a forum with a person like that, I spoke like you, with truth and logic.
so anyway, people may critize you and say you should speak better to your viewers BUT this is the way you are, and you are just using your brain, logic and truth to reply. you are the best Dan!! this is why I dont leave the WPcentral even if i get banned from forums, I support people like you anyway!
and if people get "hurt" by your comments... well its their problem not yours ;) they are the sensitive ones.

techiez says:

that was absolutely unnecessary, tell me, wouldnt launch of new phone eat up production capacity? it was a very valid point but then with only US mindset u may be right but then again tht will not help the platform.

Jf.Vigor says:

But these are two completely completely different phones for different users. One is a camera king on a modest 4.5 inch screen. The other is a supremely large 6" phablet with top of the line internals. I dont see either phone as the flagship. I think the elusive flagship is yet to be revealed...

WhyFiNYC says:

You're assuming that production capacity is what's limiting the world-wide roll-out. I don't think that it's a good bet to make that assumption.

Jack Larson1 says:

Can't wait to start skiing again...and the real ease of the 1520

Lobbie1978 says:

I saw what you did there :)

Jack Larson1 says:

*release.
:D
Nokia read my mind

MrSimmix says:

Can't wait to see the tablet!

rodneyej says:

Which one, the 1520, or Sirius❓

MrSimmix says:

Sirius, I would've referred to the 1520 as a phablet. But I understand some people prefer to call it a tablet.

rodneyej says:

I was just joking because the 1520 is so big...

MrSimmix says:

Oh, ha ha! In that case...

The invite might hint at a Lumia with a solar-charging screen like the one in CES 2013!

kbilly70 says:

I wondered about the theme of the invite but had not ever heard of this tech. Thanks, going to go look it up.

Yes, some of that would be awesome, and maybe water resistant and/or dust resistant ... sweet.

kbilly70 says:

Would love to see water resistant too!

Jack Larson1 says:

I'd like to see sand resistant. I'd like to see an experia Z that someone took to the beach, only to get it scratched from all the sand. :P

Clavitox says:

That would be innovation. It really would be. I remember seeing Nokia working on that over a year ago so maybe its ready for consumer release

rodneyej says:

I've been waiting for Nokia to be the first with photovoltaic screens.. Lumias are the most advanced hardware, and solar charging screens would make that a fact.

aitt says:

Would be bad ass.

ymcpa says:

I doubt it. Solar charging might work for a tablet, but not a phone. Phones are kept in people's pockets or purses most of the time. I doubt you would get much of a charge from normal use.

Clavitox says:

The article I read said it could provide up to 20% more battery life. Remember, its supposed to help, not replace regular charging. Also, think about how much actual time your phone is out during the day whether it be texting or using an app

ejlee072006 says:

WTH!! One more month..oh no att controlling this announcement dates again.. They have to release this phones ASAP, the galaxy mega,note 3 are coming out sooner!!

aitt says:

Ummm... The Mega has been out. And considering the VZW variant went thru FCC I don't understand your concept that ATT is controlling anything.

stephking92 says:

That Verizon phone is not a variant of the 1520. It seems like its more closer in size to the 625.

MrVol84 says:

Possible Nokia desktop computer running windows 8, shaped like a Lumia 920? Hmmm.. Lol

J Papi says:

Like the famous words of Macklemore ---> this is f***** awesome!!

Rishicash says:

You must be redefining "famous".

J Papi says:

Ohk maybe not so famous :D

kbilly70 says:

Disappointed the event is pushed back as I'm excited to get my hands on a 1520 and a tablet by Nokia. I would love to see some smaller devices announced, maybe a 5-5.5" with the high end specs rumored to be included with the 1520. I suspect these will come later though with Blue.

89caps says:

The event was pushed back but the release might have always stayed the same.

I would love a 4.5"-5.0" with great GDR3 or 8.1 highest end specs. Maybe if Nokia has the tech, to introduce it with the Pelican camera and solar charging? That would be sick!

aitt says:

Looking forward to the Lumitab (just my name for it). I will spend my money on this. Been wanting a window tablet and Nokia is the reason I'm holding out on one.

J Papi says:

+1 for Lumitab ;)

89caps says:

I wonder what #blazing is supposed to mean

armandolara says:

The screen's so big you can roll blunts on it.

cesar ruiz1 says:

November is gonna be a tough month for many wallets everywhere.

CobaltDragon says:

This damn thing better have 2 GB ram and the new line of processors...u can only 'innovate' with the exact same internals and a couple camera tweaks so many times

Oh great... :(
Now I have to wait until october to decide between Surface 2 and the "Sirius" from Nokia...

ahmedjan87 says:

Why use HASHTAAAAAGS

karelj says:

The only thing I am confused about is why the 1520 does not have the same, or slightly improved version of the 41mp camera in the 1020.

Maybe because they want to avoid the extra hump behind the device.

In Limbo says:

Holy Hell! I used to have that avatar! Thief!!! (Hail to the . . .)

CobaltDragon says:

Size and cost would be my guess

cesar ruiz1 says:

Or maybe there introducing pureview version 4.

My guess is they don't want to take sales away from the 1020, but add sales from people who want a larger device.

In Limbo says:

I'm more excited about this than the wedding invitation I got!

YianniGR says:

Depends on who's getting married..

Clavitox says:

Shouldn't It depend on the bridesmaids?

Melus Haque says:

On this very day, few years ago, Windows 7 was announced. Truely "innovation, reinvented"

YianniGR says:

No chance they'll also announce a smaller version? The 925's heir?! I don't want a screen bigger than 4.5' and I need something sexier than my 920.. :'(

cesar ruiz1 says:

I hope Microsoft makes a few good changes with the 1520 small surface keyboard case with stylus any small change is welcome

NH3MAN says:

'Burnt Orange'! Methinks we will have whatever it is in a new color. The only real color is his 'orange' boots and the other's 'orange' jacket... Or am I just grasping to be relevant?

a new color is "innovationreinvented"? please, leave that to Cupertino folks.
I don't get the whole sand-skiing thing at all...

JimmyRespawn says:

New app and gdr3.

kbilly70 says:

Actually that may be a good catch. Totally missed it myself. It kind of looks like the orange on the Lenovo Yoga

Yuzawa822 says:

The innovation reinvented they are talking about is the same as skiing on the sand and under the sun. Skiing is normally do when there is a snow. However, looks like Nokia has done things differently on their phone. I'm excited about this

Cleveland2k says:

I can finally stop crying!!! +1520

Yangstax says:

L1520 is priced at $299.  So you may want to wait couple months before Nokia drops it to $199 as they did to L1020.  :)
No word on RT.  May be they decide to cancel it after they saw the early responses.

realwarder says:

I bet it's the tablet they're talking about... phones are phones, but having both a Surface and Nokia tablet.. one to work through.

Aleksi says:

#blazing = snapdragon 800
#stories = the mysterious "storyteller" app that was leaked in one screenshot
#innovationreinvented = oversampling 20Mpix camera

Oooo... That is some good guessing. I think you might be on to something!

damo579 says:

Hopefully they will announce a replacement for the 920.

WPJanssen says:

October 22 = 1022 --> Lumia 1022 ;-)!

sip1995 says:

Once again @evleaks had right.

saulgould13 says:

These companies are always swinging that carrot just out of reach with that stick always making promises..the next and the next always reaching.. Hahaha

glassadam says:

That's cool, but I plan on innovating on reinvention. So we'll see who wins the Redundancy Wars, Nokia.

MDak280 says:

Yes! I'm excited. I wonder what sort of innovation Nokia has in store for us. I have a feeling that it has to do with the 20 MP camera that takes a 16 MP picture and a 5 MP picture. They might also talk about how thin the phone is, allowing for a monstrous battery, microSD, and probably wireless charging. But of course, that's all at the cost of a huge phone.

I'm hoping they announce some cool software to compliment the massive phone, but I think we know what to expect!

WP95 says:

Whenever this event is, I better not hear them saying AT&T exclusive.
If WP wants to grab market in US actually release it to all carriers.

My guess:
Event location: Dubai?
Innovation: solar charging?
Gadgets: Bandit & Sirius? And new accessories? (There could be an Asha in the mix as well?)
WP update: GDR3, of course.
Important and exclusive apps: Big names from Arabian companies, such as airlines, banks, shopping paradises and so on...

btgusto says:

I'm just waiting to see the all aluminum body we saw in some leaks

firewall2302 says:

Can't wait to see the full details.

october 22 = 10/22 = Nokia Lumia 1022

Blu3V3nom07 says:

What about that 5.2 inch, though?.