New photo of the Nokia Lumia 1520 from China shows off massive display

Although the Lumia 1520 is still weeks away from being announced by Nokia, that hasn’t stopped a new photo from coming out of China today. In fact, we bet we’ll see this device numerous times before it is officially revealed, not leaving too much to the imagination.

In the new photo, no new hardware or specifications are revealed but we do get a nice quality look at the massive 1080P display.  Along with it, you can see just how many Tiles can be stacked on each other, giving users plenty of flexibility in configuring their devices.

The Lumia 1520 is expected to go sale in the US on AT&T on November 8th. The device will come in four colors, including red, yellow, white and black. Featuring a 1080P display, the first of its kind Windows Phone will be the largest yet, all powered by a 3400 mAh battery.

Source: Weibo; via Sim Only Radar, New Cell Phones Blog; Thanks, Josh and et, for tips

Comments

Dreyer Smit says:

I'm not a fan of the big screen. But I would like a 4.3 inch FULL HD display :D

bulutsuzgece says:

Yeah, 4.3" is the best for whom likes using phones with one hand.

Look how the bottom left tiles seem to have an image behind them that transfers from tile to tile. That would be awesome!!

You don't need 1080p on 4.3".

Josh Harman says:

It could be said that you don't need 1080p on 6".

TechnoTim says:

1080 would give you more rows/columns, so yes I would "need" it.

1080p doesn't give you more rows/colums, the screen being 6" does.
You could still have as many on a 720p 6" screen, just with a little less clarity.

Agent-P says:

I was under the impression the increased resolution (from 720p to 1080p) is what allowed more tiles because the tiles are the same size in terms of pixels, but the screen resolution is higher so you can fit more.

NEED MOAR P!!!!!!!!!

MrGoodSmith says:

Technically/programatically Microsoft can still fit more tiles on 720p or even less, although it will not look sharp because of the dpi

Cleveland2k says:

That's what I was thinking. From my understand, on the windows 8 PCs and laptops higher resolutions bring more tiles. So yeah...you will need a 1080p screen resolution to get the extra space. Screen size does not decide what the resolution will be nor does it decide what will show up. Dell proved that with the Dell Streak.

ymcpa says:

That means everything, including text will be a lot smaller, do you really want smaller objects on a 4.3" device?

rodneyej says:

I think you are right❗

Paul Heaven says:

You are wrong. The increased screen size is what allows for more tiles to be shown, seeing as they ARE of the same size as before.

RocketKnight says:

Developer here, 1080p does allow more rows/columns because it is 50% more than 1080p. Current assets we give to the store are made for 720p so they would remain the same

negative1ne says:

why can't you change resolutions on a phone?
like you can do on a pc? that way, if the phone at 1080p
was too small, you could set the resolution to 720p or
lower if you wanted?

is there a technical problem with this?
have never seen an option on a phone for this.
do it on pc's all the time.

RocketKnight says:

That sort of thing existed with Windows Mobile (idk about actually changing resolutions on the same device, maybe with some registry hacks), but you could get a device with pretty much any resolution and it didn't require OS support that way Windows Phone does. The problem is usuability. On the desktop it's fine because typically a higher resolution means bigger displays so you can just show more content, but on a phone it tends to mean just higher DPI so you have to scale everything accordingly. And with scaling comes problems with assets looking ugly. They already suffered some of that when getting converting WP7 apps to support 720P displays and the new tile sizes in WP8, it's not something you want to keep doing.

4Tiles says:

On Windows 8 rows/columns are linked to screen size, not resolution. 4" screen would make the extra tiles too small regardless of the resolution. You could put a 4K display on a 4" phone and you're still going to be limited in the number of tiles. Tiles have to be big enough to read easily and to touch reliably.

TechBizJP says:

FHD should be around 4.7 or something or 5. aspect ratio will be ruined. hmm

NIST says:

I would like a 4.7" 4k screen.

sunbee says:

Me too wish the same...it would have been great if Nokia released same specs with 4:3" screen or max 4:5".

Obviously there is a market for these 6"+ phones.... I'm just not in that market..

Sunofabob says:

Yea. It is pretty big. I like the 920 screen size.

J Papi says:

I'm an open market ;)

koenshaku says:

Unfortunately all that screen space comes with higher hardware specifications. While I do not like like the size and I have mocked it in the past, but if nothing else in the size of the 920 comes out with the specs that are in the 1520 I will have to bite the bullet and get one. >_>

RyanAMG says:

I've been thinking of picking up the Samsung Mega but I'll hold out for this.

penetronn says:

The dpi of the Sammy Mega is poor compared to this.

RyanAMG says:

The 1520 has a lot more going for it. But the one thing the mega has is I can get one now. But with this just around the corner I'm waiting for the 1520. If this was 6-8 out I don't think I would wait.

rodneyej says:

As far as specs are concerned the 1520 is way more powerful than the Mega...

NIST says:

Go home rodney

I would buy this phone if it had a hump like my 1020 to house the 41 MP.

rodneyej says:

Nice❗.. That hump is iconic❗

Sarang68 says:

Time for me to change to 1520 from 920. Much more of a difference as compared to 925,928 or even the 1020.

ravi.tandon says:

Same here, very tempted after seeing this pic. Will probably need to use att next program for this.

penetronn says:

Agreed. Initial upgrade after 12 months on new contract right?

MDak280 says:

AT&T Next is the biggest rip off. I suggest, if you can, try to pay full price. Selling your current phone will help, especially if it's in good condition.

scdkad says:

Absolute rip off and an Att rep even agreed with me. No way would I add another $20-30 month to my bill for 20 months. Their ads are so deceptive because they don't mention that extra $20-$30 month. Instead of $36 upgrade fee (which most times you can get removed) every 18 months they resort to this crap.

shukuist says:

Want a new version of Lumia 920, 1080p display and at least GDR3, and yes, no Amoled, but IPS

simphf says:

But only if QI is built-in.

Fellipe Abib says:

With more pixels, pureview and 64gb storage

shukuist says:

I would rather like an SD card slot

retyler says:

It comes with a SD slot. WPC did an article, or an article containing, some specs, and a SD slot was one item mentioned.

shukuist says:

But I am afraid that the 920 replacement has no SD card slot, and its very likely for Nokia....

koenshaku says:

It was leaked that it has an SD card slot....

penetronn says:

Yes it has a microsd slot. If it didn't this would be DOA for me. This device may actually replace my Surface RT, kindle keyboard and 920 in one fell swoop. Far more mature app situation in WP8 than Windows RT; 6 inch 1080p screen makes it a viable e-reader replacement; microsd makes this a media and games hoss vs. Windows 8/RT. And it's sure to be a conversation starter on the train.

jiffffy pop says:

I'm debating if I should purchase this, the larger battery is a huge plus IMO.

Koen Geerts says:

The larger battery would be nice in a 920, but as the screen is also massively bigger I don't think you'll notice it

Rockartisten says:

Standby and talking on the phone won't be affected by the screen, so you will definitely notice a difference.

BIGPADDY says:

Bringing sexy back!

No! Nokia. Everyday I'm falling more and more in love with the Phablet. My must have devices this Christmas is the XBox One & this 6inch Nokia Lumia.

Lenin17301 says:

I second that opinion, and emotion.

chfhyh says:

trying to get approval for 1520 and surface pro 2.... best phone and best tablet... dream come true

dakranii says:

The Me Tile is scratched out. Wonder what the other one scratched out is. It appears to be a tiled picture of Greece with phone tools on the tiles.

Lol, was just looking at that scribbled out part. This will be worth waiting for!!

NAWF_SIDE says:

I think , thats to hide the leakers personal pic,info ect..,, but who knows...

Aside from cutting edge specs, I want all future Windows Phone from Microsoft to be called as 'Nokia-something' not as 'Microsoft-heaven-knows-what' or 'Windows-Phone-I-don't-freaking-care'!

Sunofabob says:

I agree. Please keep the Nokia brand. I trust Nokia more than O do MS. An os is nothing without solid hardware.

Microsoft doesn't have the charm that Nokia delivered for the past century. Nokia is very well known here in the Philippines. A lot of people knows about iPhone and Samsung (not Android) and even BlackBerry but no one knows what Windows Phone is. Some, maybe. By ditching 'Nokia' it's like they're ditching Nokia's legion of fans. Nokia did not die instantly unlike BlackBerry and that is because of brand loyalty. Microsoft should think about this first.

MattMamba says:

Nokia *does* have a stronger brand recall here in the Philippines, and I don't think Microsoft's just gonna up and ditch the brand altogether. I think the main problem here is that not a lot of people know what 'Windows Phone' is. Heck, I honestly don't remember ever seeing a store that has an working WP demo unit. Microsoft PH/Nokia/HTC should realize this, and maybe cooperate with Telcos so that they can better push WP awareness to the masses.

ymcpa says:

The hardware is being developed by the same people. So, unless Microsoft orders them to cut corners, it should be just as solid. The name doesn't matter.

Solid hardware is nothing without an OS.

toph36 says:

How about simply Lumia?

J Papi says:

If the Nokia-Microsoft deal goes through, forget about seeing the Nokia name on your devices unless you buy an Asha device.

I was joyful when I heard MS will buy Nokia but after the news that the Nokia I know will perish after the acquisition, I'm filled with disgust. MS is stupid for thinking that by removing 'Nokia', Windows Phone will grow. Not a single soul knows a Microsoft branded phone. People only bought Lumias because it's Nokia. I did. In addition to that, there are reports that MS will ditch Asha. What the heck were they thinking?

Josh Harman says:

"Not a single soul knows a Microsoft branded phone" because their hasn't been one. Not a single soul knew an Apple branded phone in 2006.

Kin was made by Sharp.
What else you got?

Jf.Vigor says:

A rose is a rose by any other name

Rishicash says:

Actually it's, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweeet" - Romeo & Juliet

can we like file a petition to make them 'Nokia' stay? haha..

Josh Harman says:

You can vote on the WP uservoice page, but it's unlikely that would have any affect. There is a lot more involved than just a decision to use it or not.

Most likely. But MSFT should look at the bigger scale of things. 'Nokia' says it all and they should never omit that name.

JD Miles says:

Should be Microsoft Windows Nokia Division !!!!

tomakali says:

A Petition to increase pageviews????
its better to understand Nokia is still Nokia with Microsoft...
Nokia or Surface it doesnt matter... which ever offers the outstanding quality with groundbreaking innovations... we shall adapt...

tomakali says:

I Like

Xbox One
Windows One
XPhone One
all running one OS Windows9

I personally prefer windows branding. I associate Nokia with well built handsets with disappointing software. I associate Windows with pc software. So if I didn't understand about phones and i saw a windows branded phone I'd make the assumption that it was very powerful like a pc in my pocket. Seeing the live tiles would confirm this further. If i saw a Nokia branded phone i would think that it will have snake on it.

Josh Harman says:

Snake was awesome in 1996.

Martinio32 says:

China once again show how they are able to change this world for new generation communist doctrines in NWO. Of course not only China.

teoami says:

Quick, put your hat back on, "they" are watching...

Rishicash says:

Off your meds again Martinio32? Are those voices coming back again?

Not a fan of the huge display but if this is easy to use with one hand, i would definitely get this ASAP. Especially if it's Snapdragon 800 quad-core.

Fiddle N says:

Easy to use with one hand?! This is a 6" phablet! It'll be anything but easy to use with one hand.

kc77 says:

Good thing for me, as I have some pretty big hands ;P I just want to try this out when its released. I don't think I'd want to buy it. Just see what it's like for a while. Lol.

I'm trying to hope here. If the rumors about the 825 are real then i have no idea what to get. I want a WP8 phone with Snapdragon 800 (which the 825 is rumored to only have a Snapdragon 400) but i also want a not-too-big a phone. See my dilemma? :))

kullkid92x says:

Hmm my suggestion... wait for the next gen Lumia 920, or 925.

I expect them both to continue the 4.5 inch screen (maybe jump to 4.7?) and of course updated CPU's maybe not the Snapdragon 800, perhaps the 600 series? which is still a 55% increase over what the current gen has now :)

Sunofabob says:

Nokia-gasm. I'm happy. I love my 920 and what it offers but a 1080p display and 3400mAh battery sound great.

Jeric820PH says:

Why are the capacitive buttons below too close to each other :O

rysliv says:

Microsofts strict hardware requirements?

frugo says:

They not too close, it's the same distance as on any Lumia, just the phone is bigger and if they were to strech them to keep with 920 look it would also be unconfortable to use with one hand.

chfhyh says:

bingo... the question was stupid... think before you ask

michail71 says:

That may help prevent some accidental presses too.

Also it will allow the device to be handled easier without accidentally touching the capacitive buttons. The amount of time I've passed my phone to show someone a photo and they launch bing is annoying.

pmich says:

Exactly...i hit the search and back button all the time. hate it. One more reason to get this phone

Drewidian says:

I wish it came in gold.  Gold is Best! Best, Best, BEST!!!   /s

Seriously though, I want this on Verizon.

Drewidian says:

Never! I was just poking fun at those who like iPhones because there's not much "revolutionary" about it. This is a significant change for Windows Phone.

Apple: What's the one color Nokia haven't released yet?
Answer...Gold
Apple Fans: Scrambling to get in line.
News Media: its a revolutionary phone and the phone to have.

rysliv says:

Only if it came with a wacom stylus.

HckrAdm2005 says:

If it did I would get that one over the 1020 in a heartbeat (or when ever verizon get's their version).

ryraansh says:

This seems kinda big. I would buy a 5 inch Lumia, though.

Steven Curl says:

That bezel is so small! Woooo!

How come different system tiles have different colors. Look at store and IE. is it a true picture?

Josh Harman says:

Looks like he used Skinery, or an app like it.

Munkeyphyst says:

It appears that the IE tile is using one of those customization apps that lets you put a picture in the background.

DennisvdG says:

Must.. Buy.. Phone... Aaargh I can't resist!

tylerb2002 says:

Now *that* is a windows phone that I could get on board with.  Love all the information right on the home screen.
My next phone is the Note 3, but I'm keeping my eye on windows phone for the future.

He said Android. QUICK EVERYONE HIT HIM!!!!!!

Actually he said "Note 3"
You are the one who said The BAD Word!
Quick everyone hit Mike Rowesoft!!!!!

DalekSnare says:

Normally I'd agree, but since Nokia forgot the main point of a phablet (the stylus), the Note 3 is still the one to get.

veii says:

This would be awesome filled with nothing but full size and half size tiles, none of those little ones that we have to use now to fit more on the screen.

TheLiege says:

I wanna see it with the full 60 little tiles.

karthikkini says:

Windows RT would have been awesome for the 6" nokia lumia1520.. May be something to expect in the future?
Me: hopeful..

Josh Harman says:

I think so. It was eluded to yesterday at FAM.

Gurggles says:

They should have done a Star Trek tie in, this thing looks like the data pads from NG.

clappenings says:

Exactly what I've thought all along! Metro = LCARS

Azurus says:

seems like the tiles wont have a unified color but a color for each set of tiles. i still cant figure out according to what will the colors be distributed though.

Josh Harman says:

Could be something new in GDR3, but I think he probably just use Skinery or an app like it.

VernonEL says:

Am I correct in thinking that one may be able to change the individual tile colors? Look at the row near the bottom, starting with Evernote. If that's the official camera tile, it would be the accent color of most of the tiles near the top, right?

HM02 says:

I noticed that the IE tile is cyan, when it should be colored as the rest of the theme. That would be cool though to choose certain apps to have a different theme color.

Josh Harman says:

Look again, it's not cyan, it has a picture background. Check out "Skinery" in the store.

HM02 says:

oh I didn't even notice that

Ken Heslip says:

Not just a picture in the tile.....but the picture spans multiple tiles!

Jf.Vigor says:

Those are evernote quickpins

VernonEL says:

Ahh... Okay, thanks. OneNote user here. I wasn't aware that the Camera tile wasn't the official one.

clappenings says:

I like it, but is it a trick? Are the tiles smaller than on a 4.5" screen?

VernonEL says:

I'm thinking that they might be a little smaller because of the extra row of medium tiles.

jlzimmerman says:

Yes there are more tiles, but the tiles are smaller than their sub-6" counterparts.  This is something that I wish we could change in setup.

RJ Priest says:

I am really looking forward to the 1520. This looks awesome!! We all have our display size preferences, and I'm of the belief that 4.5 is too small (put your 920 next to an ATIV S). 6" might be too large, but it should work out fine.

Going from my Titan to the 920 was painful. If I could get wp8 on my titan I would still be using it.

TheLiege says:

I've been clinging to my titan for dear life and now there is a replacement for me.

saulgould13 says:

Att could offer a free man purse, Beastly thing it is..

Josh Harman says:

It's not a purse, it's a satchel. Indiana Jones used one.

VernonEL says:

Its still a purse unless you carry a whip, gun, or some sort of antiquity in it. I don't think a piece of modern-day electronics counts, yet.

chef4a says:

If you wear a dress and make-up, its a purse. Unless it is bedazzled, then all bets are off. When i was in Dallas a few weeks ago it was pretty common to see a dude wearing a dress.

nizzon says:

No. This does not look good. All these tiles.. such a mess.

Josh Harman says:

Now imagine 60 iPhone icons, talk about a mess.

VernonEL says:

If you eliminated the small tiles, and had all the medium and rectangle tiles all updating and flipping around, I think it'd be pretty BA.

nizzon says:

Hmmm, maybe. I would need more useful live tiles though to really make use of that.

VernonEL says:

True. I'd have to get creative, but with Rooms, Groups, and people pinned, it wouldn't be too hard, I think. I have three Rooms, one Group, the two people pinned on my 920, and I had to make them all in the small tile configuration.

negative1ne says:

the screen does look way too busy for me.

although some people like it that way.

Josh Harman says:

You could use 6 wide tiles and 6 medium tiles, giving you just 12 apps on the start screen at once.

SoloXCRacer says:

I know AT&T is getting this, but if T-Mobile also got this, I would gladly pay the $300+ in early termination fees and transfer all my lines to T-Mobile.  Yes, I know I'll be losing money, but I hate AT&T that much right now.

Josh Harman says:

It's rumored to be coming to Verizon.

Tjalsma says:

I agree with you.  I know it sounds childish but AT&T has literally quelled my postive thoughts on the WP platform.  I know it could be said that AT&T supported WP from the beginning, etc.  Still...

aitt says:

It would be cool if they had double scroll option. Looking ay his set up the tiles on the left look like the could scroll independently from the right side.

That's a really interesting idea. I like it. Still want a tile size that will cover the width of the screen like we have now.

Keith Porria says:

Okay, that picture changed my mind on the new tile layout. I can not wait for it!!!

Lundon44 says:

I can't be anymore excited for this phone. A worthy upgrade for my 920. I'd love to see Nokia release as Galaxy S4/S5 competitor though. Which could be essentially a 5" 1080P Lumia with the 41MP camera from the 1020 but with a snapdragon 800, 3GB ram.. Probably a smaller battery though. Essentially a smaller 1520 with the top of the line camera.

Zakriel says:

Go home dude, you're drunk

Lundon44 says:

Just did a breathalyzer and looks like my blood/alcohol level was 0.00%. I think I'm good.

eduardoraul says:

I thought my Lumia 920 had a perfect screen.

Josh Harman says:

Don't everyone attack me, but... I like the size of the iPhone.
The bigger screen on my 822 is nice for reading websites, emails and playing games, but I would sacrifice a little of that for a smaller screen. That's just me though.

He said iPhone. KILL HIM!!!!!

Marco Enxuto says:

Nukes ready to deploy on him. Loool

kbilly70 says:

I am definitely getting this as it will replace the need for me to carry my phone and tablet but I would also love to see some phones with these specs in a 4-4.3" form factor.

jlynnm350z says:

That's a phone? Lol people are going to look real stupid holding that up to their ear, as with the other phablets!

If this phone made a poop and a picture of that poop leaked online, I bet they would make a news article out of it.

Tjalsma says:

If a phone pooped, that would certainly be news worthy.

Dammit you ruined my point. You're right.

chef4a says:

It pooped out a brown Iphone 5c.

Niki Foster says:

This is my next phone. Just counted and you could theoretically get 72 tiles on the home screen :)

Just checked and my 920 home screen has a total of 112 tiles. I could fit around 3/4 of my entire current home screen on to this one screen.

Damn you have a lot of free time. Over here I have this jar of jelly beans.....

Niki Foster says:

Nah just have to count the number of tiles wide and times that by the number of tiles long. Simple maths, takes maybe 10 seconds...

Tjalsma says:

I want to see a picture with someone holding this up to their ear. And no, I am not bring passive aggressive about hating the size. I really want to know what it looks like.

Dont be so aggressive dude. Stay calm.

Benz85 says:

It looks like a newspaper.

gregp23 says:

Anybody else find it weird that there's stock apps with three different colors in this picture?  I see phone, store, messages, and settings in purple, IE and alarms in cyan, and camera in lime.

rjmlive says:

If microSD is true, and 3400 mAh translates to 2 days life, and the Qualcomm 800 chip is utilized and makes things fly.. I'll give the size of the device serious consideration even in the face of social glares.  If they have some cool covers it might help.

A cover to make it look like 5 inches?

LOL
Yeah, covers & cases will just make it that much bigger.

VernonEL says:

No, a cover to make it look like a Surface.

rjmlive says:

No, a good cover that goes well with the size of the device. I like the peek-a-view window on the Note III for instance, or like in some of the leak photos something that resembles a ipad fold back kind of thing.

kc77 says:

I hope it actually comes to Verizon. I would definitely get one with my next upgrade if it does. I can honestly see this as the phone that brings WP8 some serious market share. I know some people say its too big, but that's what a lot of people want nowadays.

Cleveland2k says:

I can't wait. Im gonna get me one the day befre it comes out!

kc77 says:

I imagine some amazing battery life coming out of this thing. I know it has to power a huge screen, but the battery is massive.

gerrymad says:

Is the mails tile normal? I have three email accounts on my phone and they have separate tiles. Is there a way to group them all under a single Mails tile or is this something new?

s3rgiu83 says:

No...you can link e-mail accounts.. You always could.. Go to your e-mail and search for link inboxes

murani says:

I love how they have the Evernote tile then 3 direct tiles to different features of Evernote.

Rauliulian says:

It really needs a triple tile. Ugly with double tile and a tile. I thing its a bad decision this 6 inch phone if they dont release a 5inch at the same time.

VernonEL says:

Remember, the double-wide tile can be positioned in the middle with two small tiles on either side, theoretically.

aaa6112 says:

This! I too would like to have a large tile that spans the entire width of the screen.

DJCBS says:

Honestly, 5 inches is as far as I go accepting screen sizes. Ideally I would prefer these specs on a phone the size of the Lumia 800.
But hey, I get it, some people like to use dinner trays as phones.

I'm not sure I like the extra row of tiles though. That phone looks cluttered as hell and I thought the idea behind WP was to have a clean look? Rows upon rows upon rows of tiles does the opposite. Sure, we can just use medium and large tiles...but that looks ridiculous and would start resembling a toy phone too much.
I think Windows RT would work better on screens this big.

Daniel Meek says:

Is that the new stock calendar app? Or does someone know which 3rd party app it is? I would love to have that on my phone.

paparatman says:

1080p that's it? I want a 4k phone. :)

Pages