Do not turn your Xbox One on its side or it will be “at your own risk”

Xbox One

Microsoft has sure been excited to show off its latest gaming console in hundreds of press photos, but have you noticed that the Xbox One has remained horizontal? According to Microsoft, that is how the unit is supposed to be used and if you turn it on its side vertically – you are on your own.

CNET’s sister site GameSpot sat down with Albert Panello, Microsoft’s Senior Director of Product Management and Planning for the Xbox team, who stated that Xbox One doesn’t “support vertical orientation” and users who do it, will “do it at [their] own risk”.

Panello claimed that the unit was not designed to be placed vertically and that while “it couldn’t be a cooling problem”, “we just didn’t design the drive for vertical. Because it’s a slot loading drive, we just didn’t design it for both”. It certainly is an odd statement, as the PlayStation 4 (or even the last generation model) has no issue being on its side.

Will not being able to put the console vertically affect you?

Source: CNET

Comments

ChrisDaFlash says:

Kind of late with this one WPCentral

DavidinCT says:

I was goign to say the same thing, old news....I was going to submit news tip but, they never put anything up any more that I send...so I dont bother any more.

I learned about this early last week....

We review all tips heading our way, but we are all human and sometimes we miss stuff. :) Trust me, your tips really do help us deliver the best.

Fade_z says:

Where do i send tips?

Hi Fade, scroll all the way up. At the top right of the page there is a big pink button that says "Tip Us On News!"

Warren Dance says:

Yeah, some of us have never visited it the site. Is this possible through the app?

Well you should stop by - it is a great site! :)

For those using the WPC app: Swipe to the "browse" screen, then scroll down and click "tip us".

S Vaibhav says:

In the next update for the wpc app,plz add an option for large text size,print is too small on my 620.....

teaMJPx says:

If you go to the options, the first page has an option to view larger text. Also has a tip that you can pinch and zoom for larger text. Try it, it works... jejeje

wpguy says:

I think you mean to say that the big pink button is a press or two of Page Down from the top of the page, on the right side. I don't think I have ever found the button at the top of the page. I wish it would be way up there, because I always have to scroll down to find the thing.

kalhava says:

Bigsro says:

Lazy bloody console!

q21701 says:

Yep. Only wants to lay down on the job.

ojo otter says:

Im not gonna put it vertically! I only have space for horizonal anyways....!!

Micfur says:

Same as the original 360.

Bailey199719 says:

The original 360 could be placed either way. I still use the original white one. Used it horizontally and vertically with no issues whatsoever. Still no issues at all to this day.

Nik Rolls says:

So can the One. Panello (in the same statement, but not quoted in this article) said that the 360 was also unsupported on its side.

Robborboy says:

Yet it had feet on the side.

MediaCastleX says:

Cool air don't care...gimme gimme gimme =P

No. I accomodate for what the system needs. If it can go vertical, then I put it that way to save shelf space. If not, I clear a shelf and use it horizontally. Not gonna cry about it, but will make small accomodations when necessary.

leadwrist says:

^^ZOMG, a customer is willing to adapt, no wonder it was 64f in Texas this morning...

LOL! Yeah, good point :)

mymarcio says:

It's strange,
- Cable box that seems to be designed to stay horizontal
- Entertainment system also seems to be designed to stay horizontal
- Most furniture tends to have openings to accomodate HORIZONTAL devices

Why is it a big deal? If you're worried about not having spave for the Cable Box, Xbox ONE is supposed to replace it anyways... I am confused as to why this is "HORRIBLE". Sure they limit you where to put it, but are people that serious about playing tetris with living room electronics?

ajvanbreen says:

Except that it doesn't actually replace the cable box.  You can run the cable box through the Xbox One to, I guess, control the cable through the Xbox.

thecanuckguy says:

Well, people like to complain about everything.  If they said it could not run without power, people would say what a terrible device.

squire777 says:

It's only a matter of time until Sony, Nintendo, and PC Game fans make a big deal out of this and complain that MS is restricting them

GregP8 says:

I don't understand your comment. As a PC gamer (which I am), why do I care? I'm playing PC games!

They already have.
Go on the IGN article about this and see all the PS4 fanboys dissing XBone because of this.
It's actually quite funny.

Nik Rolls says:

Funnier still is that the 360 is also unsupported on its side. So they're making a big deal out of nothing new.

ajohnson777 says:

It won't effect my decision of owning it. I don't place my Xbox 360 on its side.

mwright53 says:

It would be nice to have that option, but it wouldn't drive me to buy a ps4 because it's missing.

Darren Walsh says:

Is there a fridge built into it? You're not supposed to lie a fridge on it's side too lol!

Lenin17301 says:

Guess I'll just have to buy an Steam Box then, LOL

Neusyn says:

Am I the only one around here that think MS messed up alot with the XB1 so far, don't get me wrong I'm a huge MS/WP/XB fan but I feel like they could've have done several things different IMO. They are dropping the ball and are suffering from their lack of ability to 1 up the competition in almost every area instead of server/ecosystem.

I disagree. The entire system destroys its competitors, the internet & its flamboyant ways say different tho

jayrod213 says:

I think they messed up by giving in to all of the cry baby bitches about the DRM restrictions.

Neusyn says:

I have to agree with that to, the reversal on DRM was a mistake, they should've held their ground and made it the "producers ecosystem" that way they can attract more exclusive games and content which they could leverage over PS4. If I was in charge I would've made it so that you must have a disk inserted to play offline, have the APU in a socket or not soldered in so it can be upgraded later with a better APU (a bluray has enough space for at least 2 GUI to a game), give independent or small studios the ability to self-register and submit through a special "Small Studios and Independent Developers" portal, give the game stores and resellers the ability to deregister a user from a game if they're selling it and each game must have a unique product code, and have the selling point for disk be that if you buy and own a disk you have the ability to play offline as long you have the disk. I could go into a huge amount of detail but I'll spare everyone.

Microsoft has more money.. They can get any exclusive they want. Look at the GTA4 DLC deal they made.. Don't put it past them to spend a billion on just a deal for a game like GTA or something.

michail71 says:

Most people wouldn't be able to comprehend what you just said. They hear DRM and that's it.

Jack Larson1 says:

I agree. Will it be harder for games like the elder scrolls 6 to have constantly evolving worlds now that they caved?

ajvanbreen says:

MS has never had competent marketing. They make great products, but then do a crap job of explaining why they're great.

Jack Larson1 says:

I would be happy if it had the same similar design, but had the internals of the One and just call it the Xbox ^2 or something.

Oh, and make it gold because that is what the "hip" color is now according to iPhone 5s buyers.

jayrod213 says:

Totally off topic. Since you mentioned Crapple's iPhone 5S. I think it's absurd that almost everyone had their panties in a bunch when Microsoft mentioned the Kinect would always be on, not this guy though, and no one has any concerns with Apple having everyone's fingerprint. Perhaps in the future evolve into a DNA scanner. Ridiculous.

ajftl says:

Completely joke lol. Another reason to not get the Xbox one. Wow. Lol

xankazo says:

Cool story broh!

Xsled says:

Wow Is right. You would allow this to be a deal breaker? That's the wow to me. we could go on all day about consumer electronics that don't sit two ways.

Clavitox says:

It doesn't microwave my food, so it's a deal breaker for me. . . .

jayrod213 says:

Doesn't matter with me. I never stood my 360 up.

k00ksta says:

My 360 eat a few disc's standing upward so its been laying down taking a nap for years now ..

AriesDog says:

No one with pets or kids puts their consoles vertically.

Skiffle says:

Just don't turn this inferior piece of ps4 handicapping crap on in the first place!

getalex says:

anyone know if I can put the Kinect on it's side?? thx hah!

Henry Ovalle says:

Don't see the big deal, its going to be place in the center of my media rig replacing my cable box. Good that PS4 can sit up as it will be tucked away in the corner as it will only be used for good Playstation exclusives,....meaning it won't get used alot. So works perfect for me!

Rick Smits says:

People will still do it anyways.

georgeambriz says:

Won't affect me for a while. I'm going with the PS4. I'll probably get a Xbox One middle of next year

Koato8 says:

I need my gaming console to stand on a 33% tilt, it is the most important feature

bobsentell says:

I'm putting it where my Blu-ray used to be, so it is not a deal breaker.

Fndlumia says:

Definitely what he said its not, something to do with cooling fan flow or heat sinks, vertical drive is just the little bearing cams that hold the disk... Fft

Rubios says:

It's cool, we'll have SteamOS now.

ajvanbreen says:

SteamOS totally has the potential to be the next Ouya!

edjr07 says:

If I don't buy discs and only download games who cares? Especially if they're storing games on a cloud.

TechFreak1 says:

Oh well I just bought a desk specifically for the X1 with a veritical slot (where the tower for your pc rig goes), damm it lol. i guess I will just lay it on the top and move stuff around.

Jack Larson1 says:

^ I hate it when that happens.

Wael Hasno says:

I never really liked the idea of vertical. I like it sitting firm horizontally. More ergonomic too. Besides, it's quite a big box to have sitting horizontally too. Ultimately, someone will place it vertically and it won't have any issues.

No worries I always use my system horizontally

uopjo6 says:

A deal breaker in Asia with limited space.

Also, why didn't they just design the console so it cannot be place sideways. A lot of people won't know about this and screw up.

pizzaboy192 says:

I run all my disc based consoles vertically to save damage to the disc drive. The ps2 proved running it vertical saved the laser from heat based sagging. Done the same with all the 360s I have (there are rubber feet on the bottom to run it vertical or horizontal) and no problems.

michail71 says:

They probably just never ran through engineering testing that way and are being on the cautious side.

Jack Larson1 says:

*flips One on side* kaboom

I usually hang mine from the ceiling

Manny C says:

This won't be an issue at all, I prefer the console horizontal and that's all I really have room for anyway. Haha.

MrTechRat says:

Why would you ever want to stand your system vertical? Space issue? Just move it. Did you ever stand up your Nintendo? No.

bsd107 says:

Ridiculous - the Wii, Wii U, PS2, PS3, and PS4 can all go vertical. The Wii, Wii U, PS3 and PS4 even all do it with a slot load - so that can't be the excuse.
Will all the complaints about the XB360 scratching discs, why would MS risk a slot drive that can't go vertical?!?!??

Kmin PL says:

He said that while they added a slot drive they did not prepare it for vertical placement of the console. He did not say that the console should not be placed like that BECAUSE it has a slot drive.

Kmin PL says:

Nope. Does not affect me at all - always kept the 360 horizontal and will do so for One as well.