Photography must-have

Learn over 300 poses with this app for Windows Phone

Instagram app

See more comments in the latest update for 6tag

all of the apps

Windows Phone Store passes 300,000 app milestone

Tutorial

Following these rules will dramatically improve your photos

Tweetium beta now available for existing owners on Windows Phone 8.1

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Windows Phones

Microsoft's latest video shows off the Nokia Lumia 1020 with OneDrive and Instagram

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

Latest Fhotoroom update brings transparent Live Tiles, HDR filter and much more

From the Forums

Who has the best Windows Phone camera app? Nokia, Microsoft or Proshot?

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Massive ProShot update is now available for Windows Phone with temporary price cut

Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones

ProShot set to receive a huge update - New user interface, front facing camera support and more

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

< >

Instagram confirmed to be heading for Windows Phone? Of course it is.

Nookia PureMotion HD Advert Instagram

Though it is most likely Vimeo, Instagram is said to be coming to WP8

Rum: 7

Instagram has been confirmed to be heading for Windows Phone, according to a report by The Verge. We've previously managed to enjoy third-party alternatives due to no official app being available for Windows Phone consumers, which is until the Instagram team decided to destroy all hopes by denying developers the ability to include upload functionality into their apps. We've continued to sit tight and hope for a speedy arrival of an official offering.

The service is already available on iOS and Android, leaving Windows Phone in the dark for now. But what's kicking this news off? A Nokia PureMotion video reportedly featured an Instagram Live Tile that appeared to show comment and like counters (see above / below). While no information has been released surrounding Instagram for Windows Phone, we find it hard to believe this would be an exclusive for Nokia Lumia smartphones when it eventually arrives on the Marketplace.

The Verge notes that it could well be the Vimeo app in the video (afterall, Nokia has a special-edition of Vimeo on the way), but they note they've managed to get confirmation on Instagram indeed heading to Windows Phone. (The Verge maintains an 84% accuracy rating on Tracour). This is not news by any means as we've been waiting for an official app to arrive - there's little doubt that Instagram will eventually be available for Windows Phone. The question is when. Excited to see an official Instagram app on the platform? Be sure to sound off in the comments.

Source: The Verge

Comments

inteller says:

since being implemented as a 'Lense' WP7 users get screwed out of another app.

vaultboy21 says:

from what i understand, lenses are part of standalone apps that allow them to integrate tightly with the camera..

i.e. in the case of the Photosynth lense Nokia/Microsoft demoed, the lense gets installed when you install Photosynth and they mentioned the app still functions as it did before, but the lense now lets you create a Photosynth directly from the camera..

i'm sure Instagram will be the same.

Tahiti Bob says:

They can't make it just a lens, you wouldn't be able to follow people. It will be an app that can integrate like the other lenses.

Don't you ever get tired of trolling?

Xaphoon148 says:

Zzzzzzzzz.....

Tahiti Bob says:

You guys don't get it. Many people will never switch to WP without that app, it's necessary to have it.

phatboy66 says:

Absolutely, so many people switched to android just because of this, its stupid but that's reality

Cellus13 says:

People switched to android for instagram because it was in style and what "everyone" is doing. In short jumping on the band wagon.

cstebbins says:

That's because people are robots and do what their told because their mindless!!!

Xaphoon148 says:

Ok :-) zzzzzzzzz....

FazleyCaddy says:

man, i love the phrase 'necessary'
+999 from me

PG2G says:

I had 4 people who were considering a Lumia 920 but wouldn't buy it without Instagram. They are all extremely happy. This is the type of info Microsoft needs to get out BEFORE iPhone release

ZuNuKoo says:

This is sad that it requires this for people to purchase a phone when there's better alternatives to instagram. Such as Fhotoroom. And instagram has really bad filters. IMO. I always use third party apps to edit then and then upload them.

ShortStuff says:

True but it's more fun to use an app like that people u know are actually using I feel there's no use in using a social app for example fhotoroom when no one I know uses it.

razor1973 says:

Exactly. Most Instagram users love it for the social aspect, not the filters.

PG2G says:

It is a social network, how is it a better alternatives when your friends aren't using it?

futurix says:

Shows that you have no idea what Instagram is.
It is a separate social network, not just a set of filters - most people on Instagram don't ever use filters.

ZuNuKoo says:

I thought that's what Facebook, twitter was for?

futurix says:

Instagram is focussed on photos - that's what great about it. There are no spamming apps or pointless status updates like on Facebook or Twitter.

pbroy says:

Fhotoroom trumps instagram. I'd rather use fhotoroom, because it's a WP exclusive app and that's the demographic of it's ecosystem.

futurix says:

It does not have a social network behind it - you are comparing apples with oranges...

Mickieez says:

What are you talking about?
I can follow people, comment or like their images, I've got a busy feed with people updating photos regularly. Sounds pretty damn similar to Instagram, with a much more attractive UI to boot!

Neo Nuke says:

I'm going to keep using Fhotoroom because they've put in the effort to create a similar app and put out frequent updates to it. Sure it's got a lot of pre teen self portraits but it beats seeing people's lunches in a sepia filter.

chadwick611 says:

Cool, apps like this are needed to attract a bigger group of folks

WinFan1 says:

about damn time...

pLUSpISTOL says:

Taken their sweet ass time.

ejlee072006 says:

Instagramn... What the....
Don't care about it

vijax21 says:

Am I the only one who never used instagram & don't even intend to?

Guess, We are in three! LOL...

ZuNuKoo says:

+1 but I use a third party app to see what other friends are uploading, and seeing what's so important to them to share. And it's usually not important. :)

Nakazul says:

Your not alone, but we, like in all things popular, are the minority.

Neo Nuke says:

+9000 just use fhotoroom and support the local heroes of our platform.

Witness says:

+1 ... for now. If I do, it will be to show real photography, and not the reliance on filters. ;)

1jaxstate1 says:

Love it. Can't wait fit it.

KeegdnaB42 says:

I really can't stand instagram but I feel like I'm missing out on meaningful social interaction by not having it so I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon when we finally do get it, at least for the sharing aspect of it, not the disgusting filters.

ZuNuKoo says:

Could not agree more with the filters comment. I think WP has the best third party filter apps out there. Having said that I never used an Android, or iPhone. Not do I care to.

1jaxstate1 says:

You've never used it, but you feel like WP7 have better filter apps. You'll fit in very well around here.

blessthejon says:

C'mon, instacam is not good enough.

ZuNuKoo says:

There's also Metrogram. I use that one.

absolutshame says:

I just want it on the platform so the lady I sold my DVP could stop asking me when it's coming. Personally I think it's a pointless app, like most social apps.

Rico says:

I just realized that I installed it on my Android phone as soon as it was available, but have yet to make an account. That should tell you how interested I am in it. But it would be a big win for Windows Phone. Along with Pandora, a ton of people use it. Having more apps, particularly at this point, is never a bad thing.

erzhik says:

Whether some people like Instagram or not, having it will only get more users to WP. The more mainstream apps WP gets, the better. Even my gf will only switch to WP if it has Instagram.

ctafield says:

+1, I was going to post pretty much the same thing then saw your comment. Spot on to be honest - just because some people don't like the app - MILLIONS do...

ZuNuKoo says:

Just because millions like it doesn't mean it's good. But it will get more people to WPs.

MrMendez93 says:

Violently fistpumping at this news.

R0bR says:

Dunno why Instagram is so popular, every instagram picture I've seen looks terrible. But if it gets more people to switch to WP I'm for it.

theefman says:

Pity Microsoft doesn't create some must have apps of their own instead of leaving WP with no string selling point that crap apps like this are cited as reasons not to move to WP. More than overdue for an exclusive Halo related app for WP.

Ticomfreak says:

Waypoint was exclusive at one point, and Microsoft already does this. Without it we wouldn't even have Facebook :(

Mouthsmasher says:

It would sure be nice if we had a date for this. I'm not a huge instagram fan, but I know it would help out the Windows Phone platform!

laserfloyd says:

Always get asked "does it have X or Y app?" X or Y being instagram or words with friends.  When I say no I get a "your phone is lame" look, lol.  Regardless of using it, the OS needs it.  So when friends ask you can say "Psh, of COURSE we have THAT app.  Who doesn't?" ;)

phatboy66 says:

I know how it feels bro

Neo Nuke says:

I don't care, but I'll be selling WP's so I guess I have at least a "it's coming" answer. Otherwise, Fhotoroom and Alphajax are actually better.

Don't use it but im glad to see it. We need these apps to reach a broader group of consumers.

scdkad says:

Would this and Pandora be the last major apps to get some people to consider WP?

tallgeese says:

Don't care. But all the 'me cool too' people won't switch to WP without this specific app. So with deep and heavy sarcasm, yay, with sarcastic clapping.

dalydose says:

Ugh. MORE InstaGrime littering up the Internet. I was hoping thus far would pass by now.

Um....most people on InstaGrime DO use those crappy filters on their crappy pictures.

WP95 says:

The market is now full of geeks like us who care about the screen resolutions, how many processors etc.
I don't work at a carrier but I'm pretty sure they get more questions about what apps they can get then the answers we want.
this is a great move for ms, now they need more

namikral says:

whats that phone at the end of the video, its not the 920 because the bottom bezel is much thinner (how it should be)

as I mentioned in another thread this is one of those apps that prevent my friends from switching to WP. I think it ridiculous but thats the reality. let's hope the rumor is true.

Wonderful news! I have a friend that uses it constantly on her iPhone, and I can't wait to take better pics on my 920 and then Instagram them to her. (Just kidding... I would never use Instagram, lol.)

djctz says:

Lol we need Instagram!

byutah says:

Now we just need the other 2 "real" apps that I get the most complaints about even though there are 3rd party solutions. Pandora and Sirius/XM.

alukard says:

Just another bullet point to be added for the common masses.

jenjen4u says:

My friends clutter instagram with same sort of pics everyday... Gets boring but once instagram hits WP ill defo make use of the lumia 920 and show off its capabilities to my followers on insta :D

iggypop120 says:

Please don't tell me its a Nokia exclusive? I'm getting tired of those.

jmshub says:

I've never used Instagram, and I probably won't in the forseeable future.
That said, I fail to see the logic in widely panning a marquee app that is throwing in for WP. An app that is extremely popular on other platforms can only help visibility of the WP platform.

lyrebos says:

Instagram is one of my "key" apps in my iPhone 4, so if it comes to WP is great for me. One less app between me and #switchtolumia...

Malmer says:

Instagram is the one thing that might make me switch to Windows Phone 8. Also it would be nice with system wide DLNA play-to support so I can stream spotify to my amplifier. But that's just a nuance. Instagram is the holy grail for me. If confirmed for launch pretty soon, then I'm getting a Lumia 920 instead of my iPhone 4.

I love my HTC HD7 but I'd love it a lot more if it had instagram. I mean, I dont know about most people but I find it annoying that us who invest in some new technology and up getting screwed on accessing the what's what in the industry. My question is, I read that the launch of windows 8 will see a load more new apps created, but windows 7.5 will only be upgraded to version 7.8, which will not allow the download of w8 apps. So, is instagram going to be a W8 app or will it be made before the release of W8 so us who decided to "try something new and unique" don't get completely screwed out of everything good?

WP are great! I love them, but still need to update apps like instagram, even that fhotoroom is heaps better!! is only for WP users!? - Instagram is popular and thats why people want it, even we have better apps - so, when is instagram release date!? it says we will have it before the end of the year - so, when!?

I switched out of android to this phone thinking it was going to be awesome but it's not so awesome without instagram :\

Richee says:

This website is a petition to get instagram it only needs 40 something signatures. SIGN IT AND SPREAD THE WORD http://www.change.org/petitions/instagram-make-instagram-available-on-wi...

Nashalise says:

I love my WP & I do like Instagram, but I would not sacrifice all my great features for a primitive android or an iPhone.... People like iPhone simply because everyone has it....

Det är så många som vill ha instagram på sin mobil, Ni (dom) tappar köpare pga att inte instagram finns på windows! Jag bytte till denna mobilen och tyckte att de skulle bli jätte bra men det suger utan instagram!

I think it would be very good for the maturity of the platform. I would personally welcome it very much!!

PravinVIII says:

RIP we neeedd that... Istawindows™

“You have to not just have a system in position, but we also evaluate you on accessibility the system … and then we evaluate you on use of each system,” she says. Organizations that make a system but never move it out, or have only an executive-level providing, will be punished in Operating Mom Media’s positions. bathing suits 2014