Report: Nokia's 'Batman' is not the Lumia 1320, but a low-end Windows Phone with a large display

Lumia Batman

The Verge reports that "Batman" is actually the internal codename for a new low-end Windows Phone from Nokia, not the Lumia 1320 / 929 as reported by @evleaks. It's believed to sport a large display, be an affordable smartphone and it may fall in the 6xx range. According to sources familiar with Nokia plans, the handset will be placed just above the Lumia 625, a low-cost Windows Phone with the largest display on any Lumia device.

What will the "Batman" Windows Phone feature in terms of specifications? It's said to be a top low-end Windows Phone, but the actual specifications will be similar to the Lumia 625. A 5MP camera will be installed, as well as a front-facing VGA shooter. While this is an affordable Windows Phone, Nokia is said to be planning to ship the device with the new Nokia Camera app, combining both Pro and Smart Cam

The "Batman" device will join the likes of the Lumia 1520 and a 5-inch Lumia 929 / 1320, which will be unveiled later this month.

So what is the codename for the Lumia 929 /1320 if not "Batman"? Tom Warren from the Verge is confident in the name "Vanquish".

Source: The Verge; Comic credit: Woodenplank Studios

Comments

ajftl says:

What a stupid name

Internal codename does not equal product name for marketing. Derp.

RyanAMG says:

Daniel's Me tile on pic with the batman mask. Is Daniel batman?

Jnbs says:

What?!! I will love to have the batphone.. This dude O.O

NIST says:

Will it come with Commissioner Gordon's number preprogrammed?

wpguy says:

Only if you have a red one.

tissotti says:

Codename, what kind of difference does that make? :D

Who is....... THE BATMAN???

mdram says:

More like...In Chris Bale Batman voice...

"WHERE IS IT??!?!?  WHERE IS IT!!?!?!"

Arpit Mittal says:

is it  lumia 721??

rodneyej says:

Hey that sounds about right.. Ala galaxy mega,, this seems to be..

stui83 says:

I wish they would make a high end small phone, I.e. L925 Mini

busngabb says:

Nokia/MS needs to have a think about the naming/numbering of its phones. There are far, far too many Lumia variants and the average Joe walking into a shop at renewal time would have no chance in differentiating between them. Lumia is a pretty awful name to start with.

I'm not aware of any carrier or shop in the world that has all the Lumias lined up. Most have two or three, so your point is invalid regarding your "average Joe". Anecdotes and hypotheticals don't equate to actual data.

Also, while you may personally dislike the name "Lumia" there is no evidence that it is hindering sales, so that point is also irrelevant.

Here in Brazil we have Lumia 525, 620, 625, 720, 820, 920 and in the next Monday we will have the Lumia 925 and Lumia 1020. All the global models...

And Windows Phone has bombed in Brazil, so...oh wait.

The Lumia 525 is a huge success here! And I expect the WP to surpass iOS market share by the end of this year.
Just to record: Nokia Brasil is running a promotional price for Lumia 820 since July to "just" 999,00 Reais (~400 dollars; the original price was ~700 dollars) in all the the resellers and operators ass "the most affordable 4g phone" and is doing pretty well here. Is the most sold phone in some stores often...
I have been told that the Nokia will discontinue the 820 in here... Maybe waiting for the 825...

You have the 525 already? It's not even officially announced! Do you perhaps mean the 520, or the 625?

Sorry. Lumia 520. :D

ejb222 says:

He has a valid counter point to your statement. Why so mad bro? I'm sure Brazil isn't the only place will a Lumia line up like that either. See....according to Credo, Belgium too.

India too, 925 launched about a month ago and the 1020 was launched this week i guess.

wpguy says:

I could be wrong, but I think the "so,...oh wait" was an indication that Daniel was slyly saying the opposite of what you read.

stui83 says:

Yep sarcasm was missed there

Credo93 says:

We have all Lumia device's lined up in Mediamarkt Belgium ;-)

Evrn 521, 810, 822, 928 ???

tian.s says:

Same in South Africa, can get any of the global variants from any carrier. What makes it worse, some carriers try to make money off the newer low end lumia's just because they're new. On MTN the 625 is more expensive than an 820, which just seems silly. The "average Joe" might think the 625 is a better device just cause it's "new" and costs more...

shadow118 says:

Same in Latvia. The 720 just recently dropped to about the same price as 820, but the 625 is still a bit more.

ttsoldier says:

Here in Trinidad we have the 520 820 and 920. Soon to get the 720 and 620 :)

rodneyej says:

Thank you Daniel❕ That's what I've been telling these guys..

phander says:

Daniel, why are you so childishly rude to some people who post comments with their opinions. The poster has a point: there are a lot of Lumias at the moment. While it might be Nokia's strategy to do this, it does risk confusion among consumers. There's really no need to 'disprove' people in this manner. Believe me, it's not flattering.

Sponge920 says:

So your post is largely irrelevant also, considering you start it with 'I am not aware...'
This is a comment board; People are supposed to discuss topics. If you need 'hard data' (which can be manipulated) that's your problem. Take it to your psychiatrist.

erzhik says:

Lumia is actually a very good name. It already established itself better than a Windows Phone name.

rodneyej says:

Exactly❕ That's why the Nokia branding on the new devices should simply be replaced with Lumia.. This is the only logical move MS could possibly make,, period❗❗❗❗

Shawn Magm says:

Some people can't even get the name correct.  I see many people call it "Lumina", like the old Chevy model.

MediaCastleX says:

BITE your tongue clean off and toss it in the blender with some ice and enjoy a nice refreshing Shhhhhhmoothie! (c) TM (R) ME =P

TechFreak1 says:

You high?? lol, most random comment ever.

WinMaverick says:

Get out of the US carrier numbering system and line them up... they make perfect sense (well almost). And to me its far more practical than Sammy's random name (besides S and Note) or Sony's alphabets. Nokia has done this for ages and it worked pretty well for them. May be an iMind will have difficulty understanding them.

Barraging the market with models lined from the ground to tower is working damn well for Samsung... atleast here in the developing countries where individual budget varies greatly. Nokia should have a complete portfolio of devices like Samsung... this gives consumers choice and keeps in the news buzz.

And Lumia is a pretty awesome name. It's Finnish in origin (meaning snow) and goes very well with English... thats what Nokia stands for :)

Jack Larson1 says:

Lumi=snow. I think.
Lumia beats the pants off Galaxy though. They should have named it (galaxy line) retrograde instead, lol

rodneyej says:

This ⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆

Agreed with the numbering system

TechFreak1 says:

According to wmpoweruser via mnb the 1320 is a verizon variant, I don't see how that would be true but if it is the numbering system has really gone askew lol. http://wmpoweruser.com/previously-leaked-verizons-nokia-lumia-929-to-branded-as-nokia-lumia-1320/

Xpress Music with Nokia Music please...and get rid of Xbox Music

Clavitox says:

I like Xbox music

myrandex says:

What would you use to play music stored locally on your phone then? Nokia Music doesn't do this...sure it is inferior to the Zune product that it replaced but I at least use it regularly to access my music.

tian.s says:

You can actually play locally stored music using Nokia Music, just swipe right when you open the app, tap on My Music. Even the Windows 8 Nokia Music app can play your locally stored music on your tablet or PC.

TechFreak1 says:

So does xbox music myrandex... I personally prefer nokia music.

donebrasko says:

I agree. I have a focus that I use as a mp3 player. I download through Zune there. On my 928 I stream only. I have no plans on leaving.

MediaCastleX says:

You might as well tell Microsoft to forget about Windows Phone...s'matta wit'chu?! =/

Clavitox says:

But doesn't Nokia music have a limit on how much music you can cache? I know Xbox music sure ass hell doesnt

Um no thank you, I'll keep my Xbox Music, I use the subscription across the entire Microsoft platform Nokia Music is just a Pandora clone.

Nokia Lumia 725, but with a poor camera???
So now we have Lumia 525, 625, 725, 925 but not the Lumia 825.
Come on Nokia!! The Lumia 820 is the Lumia that most request a updated version and, together with the Lumia 920, is the oldiest Lumia WP8 launched...

By most accounts, the Lumia 820 has not sold well for Nokia.

But I think that a Lumia 825, with HD 4.5'' display and a Pureview camera can do well...
Do you expect to Nokia drop some Lumias "numbers", like the "8xx"? I dont think so. Maybe is the refresh they need....

stui83 says:

Lumia 825 should recapture the Lumia 800 design and size!

davidD93 says:

... and yet out fo the three people i know who have a WP8 (one is a work phone), they are ALL 820's, and I know 2 people considering an 820. Must be the exception then.

Rem97 says:

The low end is what is driving the platform at the moment. It would be unwise to not keep releasing amazing, affordable devices. What about the 1320/929, that seems like a pretty significant upgrade from the 920.

GelvinGSM says:

I thought due to the '1320' being above than 1020 and below 1520 would support at-least a quad-core, 8 MP camera with LED flash and a GB of RAM or 1.5 but my assumptions were wrong. Like the Samsung "S" and "N" series, there should be a Series of Nokia for both, the smatphones and Phablets class, IMO.

You're confusing things. Batman does not equal Lumia 1320.

Batman is probably in the 6xx range.

GelvinGSM says:

My apologies. I misread the article, perhaps.

eddieDOTexe says:

This is probably going to be a T-Mobile variant

MediaCastleX says:

Oh I can only hope... O_O

Chef316 says:

Hope so too!!!

TechFreak1 says:

Oh that's a pity lol I was hoping it would be a high end device.

89caps says:

Love it when Daniel descends into the comments to speak the Truth! Haha

DJCBS says:

Well...I still rather take the word of evleaks than the speculations of Tom Warrent.

Anyway, codename it Pippi Longstocking for all I care. As long as the L1320 is the 5" device upon which the L929 is based, I'm ok with it. I want that phone with those specs, whatever the name.

MediaCastleX says:

Great, you're gathering followers now... *sigh* =[

DJCBS says:

One, two, we're coming for you
three, four, lock your door
five, six, get a crucifix
seven, eight, better stay up late
nine, ten..and never sleep...again...

RobbCab says:

Very appropriate Nightmare on Elm Street reference. You with Halloween right around the corner and all. Have a +1 on me.

"Pippi Långstrump" is the local Swedish variant with a special version of Cortana. ;-)
She only speaks and understands Swedish and has a monkey on her shoulder...
Instead of "Bing" you get "Pippi"
You start the system app by calling her name.
In order to avoid any mistakes the Swedish Team has desided to the full name:
Pippilotta Viktulia Rullgardina Krusmynta Efreimsdotter Långstrump

Wael Hasno says:

I'm new to Sweden, do we celebrate Halloween here? :)

willied says:

I'm curious if any new WPs (other than the 929) are coming to Verizon any time soon.

Winnabe says:

Seems like the purported dual-sim 725 to me.

gravage says:

What a sad, anticlimatic turn of events. A phone called "Batman" should be the very best specs. After all, the Batmobile wasn't a Ford Pinto.

MediaCastleX says:

No but it was a regular model T once... =D

gravage says:

Seriously. This is like finding out that Batman's utility belt is a fanny pack.

Jayflip says:

It'd be great if the new low-end Lumia would've a 5-inch 720p display, but I think that'd be too much for a low-end base price at this time haha...

carl barrett says:

This sucks as im upgrading in November 3rd from a 920 and there's nothing put there.

JoRdaNeK says:

1020 is spot on mate

ejb222 says:

If it's 5" quad core, 1080p, 2gb, 32gb+, 20+MP, and works on GSM w/ LTE(att), I'd own it unlocked.

Zeroplanetz says:

Micro SD slot and micro HDMI in addition and now were talking.

simphf says:

It's not the phone we deserve, but the one we need right now. Or is it?
-L920

TechBizJP says:

Vanquish like none existence literally??

AriesDog says:

Batman: How does it hold up to repeated smackings against Riddler's face?

TechFreak1 says:

Well ask the joker to perfom the magic trick! :P and what a trick it was lol. Had me loling for awhile the first time I saw it.

Fndlumia says:

Anyone seen the phone bats uses in beware the bat? They should copy that

lowrider2107 says:

Top low-end, low high-end or rather medium??

uselessrobot says:

This phone isn't even out yet and there's already confusion. Way to go, Nokia.

RedSamurai says:

Do you realize all the hoopla is based on RUMORS. As far as official announcements go, the device doesn't even exist...

Man, all these leaks of info will make the debut in Dubai seem not so significant....Stop the Leaks! I wanna be surprised!!

Nawzil says:

There will still be some surprises.

Clavitox says:

*Cough* solar charging *cough*

BIGPADDY says:

I'm BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Nokia/Microsoft's next flagship is no bigger than 4.3".... Enough with the enormous displays already. The only smallish phone on offer is the 620, and its specs are a little bit low for my needs...

crazygonzo says:

I also hope to see a nice upgraded 4" or 4.3" low end that will replace the 520 model.

Grimlock says:

This sounds like its poised to be a big seller for Nokia like the 520! Good move

crazygonzo says:

I hope this Batman won't be the upcoming Lumia 525.

YianniGR says:

Again? We need a high end windows phone with small display! 925 + !

stui83 says:

+925 (mini version)

AccentAE86 says:

For phones (excluding phablets, gosh I hate that word) I think a lineup like this would make sense:

Three tiers, Entry-Level, Mid range, Flagship

And TWO phones in each tier, one large screen model and one small screened model.

It seems those are the two things that drive people's decisions the most: the feature set (i.e. tiers) and the screen size.  So I would cater to those two distinct points.

Martinio32 says:

How many Windows phones we must meet in one year and how many of the next generation? Of course this marketing must make a money. Store market looks very tight but for everything else we must pay.

Bob101910 says:

Dark Knight is on sale this week. Conspiracy

irsyadhhs says:

Confusing. Omg....
520 620 625 720 820 920 925 1020 plus variant in Us 521 810 822 928 plus the devices which will be annouced 525 1320 929 1520 2520

Ohhh... Hate math, hate nokia's naming.

monotheist says:

Please have NFC in this one, unlike 625

Wael Hasno says:

Hilarious picture!!

wangsa86 says:

I love wp8 and my lumia, but it sucks that it's not officially supported in my country, which forces me to use a US account.

JoRdaNeK says:

How about a 420? Imagine how cute, but crap this phone could be.....wait a second.....a Lumia 3/2/120 this is not sarcasm either

WeirdFM says:

Here in Finland we have everything and I'm little girl

slamx3 says:

If a low end device is really code named Batman then I will be disappointed. Batman deserves better...lol

attract says:

I thought there is already the Lumia 625 for the low-end strategy. Nokia is just flooding the Market with no sense devices. Wo needs this?