iHeartRadio gets Pandora-like playback with latest update for Windows Phone

It's been awhile since we looked at iHeartRadio, the popular radio app available across devices and for the web. It was in October that the app went to v3.0 and received Mango support and a few days ago, version 4.1 hit the Marketplace bringing a nice make over with some bonus features on board.

Gone is the grey photo background and instead we have just pure black with red text. The UI now is much more minimalist and Metro, giving the app a fresh new bold look which we really like.

iHeartRadio

But the biggest feature is the addition of "custom radio" which is very similar to Pandora. You choose a station to create based on a song, artist or genre and iHeartRadio will select tunes based off of that criteria. You can then thumbs up/down songs and from that, refine your musical selection. Likewise you can still pull down lyrics, pin the station to your start screen and purchase/download tracks from the Zune Marketplace.

All in all it has been working great on our end and considering it's free, we see no reason not to try it if you like your music on the go. Grab it here in the Marketplace. Thanks, Ronald V., for the heads up Edit: Turns out this isn't available to those in the UK, for whatever reason.

QR: IheartRadio

Comments

XboxOmac says:

Like finally!! I hated radio stations..

Still not available in Uk. Suggest you add US only mention to story to avoid disappointing people?

schlubadub says:

Yeah, it's definitely US only. No radio love in Australia :/

Gatlyn says:

I do no need for Pandora anymore. This app goes above and beyond Pandora by offering live stations and custom radio. I especially like how you can choose how much of a variety of music you'd like on your custom stations.

ScubaDog says:

Yet they STILL haven't fixed the huge Bluetooth problem!  I've sent them countless emails on this problem.  When listening to iHeartRadio over a BT earpiece the program buffers a chunk of audio the shotguns it to the earpiece at highspeed, so that it sounds like chipmunks.  Then it goes silent while it's buffering another  burst and the process is repeated.  iHeartRadio is the only app I have that does this.

penetronn says:

Great app update. Laps Pandora and last.fm at the same time.

I wonder how well it works on 2G or throttled connections, guess ill find that one out during my commute tonight. Slacker works great on 2G/Throttled.

Tumultus says:

Hmmm,
I just noticed that the UPDATE notification doesn't work for iHeart Radio. I was still on version 3.1 and had to remove it manually in order to be able to get version 4.1 installed.

schlubadub says:

Sometimes it takes a day or so for them to push out for everyone... It's happened to me for dozens of other apps.

blnwp says:

This is an amazing update. I was using TuneIn for radio and MetroRadio for Pandora. Now both can be replaced by iHeartRadio. I especially like the way it gives choice for custom radio i.e Familiar, Mixed and Discovery.

textomatic says:

I hate The Cure! :P

BikerCVG says:

I had to flash my 920 and now I am no longer able to install it because my device is not supported.... WTF