Force updating your Windows Phone to OS build 8107 -- a WPCentral Tutorial

Force Update

With the latest info from AT&T regarding the 8107 update (specifically that they don't have plans to offer it) and news that the HTC Titan and Samsung Focus S are reportedly going to be discontinued soon, the issue about force-updating the OS has been brought up as an alternative.

Indeed, there is a relatively easy way to force any Windows Phone to 8107 in about 15 minutes (after you get all the right files in place) and in fact, we just did it to our Samsung Focus S, mostly because we have a crap-ton of Windows Phones here and can take risks.

We're going to assume you don't have extra phones and therefore we can't really endorse this because:

1. You may "Walsh" your phone, meaning you'll bugger your chances for future updates (if they ever happen, ahem)
  2. It is a bit stressful
  3. You really shouldn't have to do this, amirite?

Having said that, if you still want to go down this path we can say it does work and if you follow the directions to the letter, you'll have 8107 on your Windows Phone (you just won't have any "tweaked" OEM firmware to go with it).

Once again, we must stress that we're not endorsing this method and we would much rather see AT&T just deliver an update. Should you screw up your phone, this is all on you.

So against our better judgement (and Rafael's ire), we're going to post our tutorial on the subject.  Read on, if you dare...

Force Update

What you will need

[We should note: this tutorial assumes you're on OS build 7720] First thing you'll want to do is download the necessary files, those are the following:

• WP7 Update Cab Sender
  • 7740 update CAB file
  • 8107 update CAB file
  • Language packs (see below)
  • Optional: WPSupport tool X86 or x64 (For those with COM problems or errors)

You'll also need a PC, the latest Zune Desktop and your micro USB cable.

What we are doing is using an official Microsoft tool to back up the phone and then send the OS updates (in the form of CAB files) directly to the device. The language packs are 100% necessary and vary from device type to device type.

WP Central

We can't stress this enough: getting the languages right is key to this process -- you will have issues if you have too many or too few language packs (see the earlier problems with this method) On our Focus S, we had to install all 22 language packs, which yes, was a pain namely because we had to download those all individually. If you have more than 22 language packs on your phone, do NOT do this update and stop here.

Update: The AT&T HTC TITAN only has English (United States) installed, so that is the only language pack needed. The AT&T Samsung Focus S needs all 22.

For your convenience, you can download all the above files (except languages) in one single ZIP. You can grab that file here.

Q: How do you know what languages to use?

Verify your Language Packs

Languages

On your Windows Phone, go to Settings --> Region + Language and look under Display language. There you should see all the language packs installed on your phone. As we mentioned above, on our Focus S we have all 22 installed. You need to go through and check.

And by check we mean write down those languages. Alternatively, you can use the included "Version and Language by Heathcliff74.xap" (you'll need a dev unlocked phone to install) and it will list all the language packs and codes.  If you only have 5 languages on your device, then you should have those 5 language packs ready. If you have 22 language packs, then use all 22.

Here are the individual languages that you need to download to the same directory as the OS install files from above:

English (US) language packChinese (traditional), Chinese (simplified), GermanCzechFrenchEnglish – UK, Spanish, Danish, Greek, Finnish, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese – (Brazil), Russian, Swedish, Portuguese – (Portugal)

If you need all 22 in one shot, just download this file. Do NOT install extra languages.

Setting up

Download the ZIP file here (same as above in first section) and unzip all the contents to a new folder. Add your necessary language packs. Your file directory should look like the image below (which assumes 22 languages are needed; AT&T Titan users need only 1 language pack here). Check and double check this.

Files

For those with the AT&T HTC Titan or Sprint Arrive, your setup should look like this:

WP Central

Ready to install

1. Make sure your phone is charged to at least 50%
  2. Plug your phone via USB into your computer and close Zune Desktop (yes, close it)
  3. On your computer, navigate to where you extracted the OS update: Cab Sender --> Tools --> x86/x64 (Choose one based off your system architecture)
  4. Run UpdateWP.exe (Note: you should see a DOS screen flash and disappear)
  5. Back out to your main directory and run WP7 Update Cab Sender.bat
  6. Choose 'B' (This will back up your device to Zune, then install the updates)
  7. Pray to your chosen God or the Flying Spaghetti Monster

You should now see a screen similar to the one below with device details and the proceeding backup of your phone. Next, it will install OS 7740 and OS 8107 (it needs to do both) along with the necessary language packs.

Installing

Time of install will vary, but it should be about 15 minutes (backup will be the big differentiator here). After that, your phone should restart and you'll be on 8107 with all your apps, files, photos, messages, etc. fully intact i.e. this does not wipe your device.

And that's it.

Update 2: For those with COM errors, go back to the top and download the WP Support Tool for you computer and install. That should fix it.

Final

Have any questions? Navigate to our help forum where you can discuss and get tips on this tutorial.

Source & More info: XDA Forums, Robert McLaws Blog

Comments

Thanks for the tip! Something I'm interested but might wait a little longer being on Verizon with the Trophy...

aphrophyre says:

Ha! I'll let you know how it goes. I've been on the Verizon Wireless boards lately and there doesn't seem to be any movement with providing us with update info there.

psiu_glen says:

I did this awhile ago on my VZW Trophy, works flawlessly btw. Only needed English and Spanish language packs. Don't think I needed the step prior to the batch file running, but I think I had installed that part earlier during various tinkering efforts.
Not many changes, but the keyboard doesn't disappear at all now (was pretty rare and I could always get it back before, but ymmv).
There is a topic here in the Trophy forum with some more info about it btw.

aphrophyre says:

Got This Error:

Error: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {77CB935D-D0CC-
4249-8643-3C387A514A27} failed due to the following error: 80040154.
Call stack:
   at Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.get_Instance()
   at wm7update.Program.Main(String[] args)

Any Ideas?

paulm187 says:

Worked a treat! thanks! updated my Samsung Omnia 7 T-Mobile UK

sab742 says:

Also updated my T-mobile Omnia 7 to 8107 with the cab sender.
Had to use 6 language packs (english uk, english us, french, german, italian and spanish).
Removed the 7740 cab from the update folder as the phone was already on 7740.
Internet tethering option is still there

adesio says:

Mods,
Please add this to the article. I'm not the first one to have this problem, but it worked for me as well. I had no luck on two different PC's without using this tool, getting the same call stack as the poster before the one I am replying to.

Thanks a lot dirtybird, much appreciated. worked for me, samsung focus on att.

adesio says:

Thanks guys, that was quick!

aphrophyre says:

Hey, Actually my issue was simply a case of using the wrong USB port. Microsoft Update pages actually recommend using USB ports on the back of your computer as opposed to the front.
Initially I tried using the WP7 Support tools and the iFixIt Solution and none of them found any errors to correct. I switched USB ports and then viola, a working WPUpdate.

DavidinCT says:

but, out of all phones, Verizon HAS 8107 on the Trophy. So far they have been up to date maybe a little late but, up to date.
I did this method to get 8107 on my phone before Verizon released theirs and when the VZW update was released my phone got it.

aphrophyre says:

Incorrect. The last released update from Verizon/HTC for the Trophy was the Radio firmware update. The last OS update was for 7720 "Mango"

Is there a way to know that my Venue Pro is officially unlocked or not, I live in Jordan (Middle East) and I'm running it on a local carrier sim card but the problem is that my software is still on 7.10.7720.68 and I really want to know how to update
it to 8017..

Dell checked my service tag and replied with :
" this unit was sold as a locked unit. It is locked to the T-Mobile network. As a rule, we don't provide unlocked codes for devices which were sold locked, but if you'd like to try sending any other questions regarding this, please email unlockcoderequest@dell.com."

so I opened the Engineering Mode in my phone and looked at the security, it was
(Unlock / GLEOS2A_US_TMO_SIMLoc1_001)
what does that mean? was it unlocked by hacking or an official unlock code? and the most important thing is will this update re-lock my phone or not?

XboxOmac says:

This is something needed for those wanting 8107. Not a custom ROM or anything, so this is really safe. Unlike me, I'm in a custom ROM.

woodbane says:

How about this as an alternative? Use windowsbreak to unlock your phone. Sideload a registry editor and then change the carrier ID to Rogers. Update through Zune and it will go to the 8107 update. Then change the carrier ID back to ATT I'm the registry and you're all set. This is how I did my Focus before loading a custom ROM. Of course, I guess this depends on whether the newer gen devices can be unlocked this way, but for us Gen 1 users, this method works well.

That's certainly good for Gen 1 devics, but WindowsBreak does interop-unlock which can't be done on Gen 2 phones (yet) therefore no registry editors, so that won't work for the Titan, Focus S, Focus Flash, etc AFAIK.

baileystein says:

Umm...sorry to question you, but I Window Breaked my Samsung Focus Flash and have tons of homebrew on it.

elixir_pr says:

Can you guide me on how I can Windowbreak my HTC Mazaa? I have been searching xda-developers.com forums but couldn't find anything useful. My phone is already dev-unlocked, now I want interop-unlock.

baileystein says:

Unfortunatly, Window Break only works on Samsung Phones.

slinky826 says:

Owners of the LG Quantum have an easier way of doing this as the phone has a built in registry editor in the MFG menu. All you have to do is change the carrier ID and connect to Zune to update. Its how I updated mine.

Dagolara says:

Yep makes me love this phone so much more

Tobyus says:

Just finished using the MFG tool to rebrand my Quantum to Rogers and updating to 8107. I am pretty happy with my choice as well :). My wife's Focus S is still stuck with a buggy on-screen keyboard though. I really hope AT&T doesn't withhold all future updates for her phone, she's not even had it for 6 months!

RSB54 says:

Slinky826, hope you're still around.
I have the Quantum but don't see the MFG menu, is that under Settings of hidden somewhere else? Also, where do you find other carrier IDs, I see others have changed to Rogers then back to AT&T but I don't know the code.

EJNelly says:

Would this work on the Trophy?

SolunaKitty says:

As long as the required number of Launguage Packs is 22 or under. You'd have to check by using the .xap mentioned in the post.

aphrophyre says:

The Verizon HTC Trophy I have has two Languages installed. English & Spanish. Real simple.

fogel35 says:

I think you did the right thing here.  Better to learn it here than somewhere else that may not as be as reputable.

dalydose says:

I'm debating whether to give this a shot or not.  This seems ALL kinds of involved and I always worry about something going wrong.  IF something goes wrong, can we revert back to 7720?

It's actually simplier than it seems and is really not that bad, so long as you pay attention.

Yes, if you get as far as running the .bat file and you choose 'B' it will backup the phone (you can see in the last image my backup date) meaning you can restore back to the previous ROM.

baileystein says:

However, if you do restore your phone, your pictures will be lost.

schlubadub says:

They should all be synched to your pc beforehand anyway, so you just synch then back. I usually move all of my music/pics/vids off my phone to reduce the backup size anyway.

CJ Thunder says:

Then the Focus is long dead in the eyes of ATT and MS?

MaulerX says:

Holy smokes. I just checked my Titan and it has over 50 language packs installed!!! That's pretty insane.

Don't do this update.

MaulerX says:

Oops! My bad. I was looking imunder "Region Format".  Under "Display Language" it only says "English". So I guess just one?

If that is all you have to select from under Display language, then you should be okay. (Really though, you only have English?). Just use that one pack.

Just checked: Yes, AT&T Titan ONLY has English (United States). that's it. That's easy as heck ;-)

MaulerX says:

Excellent!! Can't wait to get home from work and do this. Thanks!!

MaulerX says:

Got home, tried it, and...Success!! It was super easy!

schlubadub says:

My Australian HTC HD7 only has "English" listed and is not selectable or changeable. I assume this is "English (United Kingdom)" but it doesn't specify that in that section. Region Format/Browser Language/System Locale are all set to "English (Australia)"... It's the same as English UK anyway. Fortunately I already have 8107 from my carrier but these instructions will be handy later.

firecop42 says:

So much for getting my Titan up to the latest. Bummer. Was just sitting down and connecting to the pc to make this happen. I too lost count at 30 something.

SolunaKitty says:

Someone posted that he/she looked under "Region Format" instead of "Display Language". However, if you have the ATT Titan, it was confirmed to only having one language installed: English (US).

mythos13 says:

Why didn't Microsoft leave in the relatively easy work around for forcing an update by simply disconnecting your phone right after checking for an update? That was a good way for power users to be able to update their phones instead of waiting for dickhead carriers to get around to it. Now instead of happy power users we have disgruntled power users and that effects the Windows Phone narrative so not a bright move my Microsoft.

MaulerX says:

...there was a VPN workaround where you could have tricked your phone into thinking you were in Hungary (or some other place that was delivering the update). I remember doing this for NoDo and it worked great at the time. I wonder if that is still possible.

toddos says:

> I think that only works if your carrier is actually delivering the update. It was an easy way to force update while waiting for the carrier to push it to your device. However...

That is correct.  The "unplug on checking update" hack just bypassed throttling (the whole, "We're rolling this out to 20% of users," crap).  It can't magically make an update for your phone appear.  If your provider is not publishing the update for your phone, all you'll get is the same old, "Already up to date," message.

mythos13 says:

Oh my bad.
Maybe they should program in another backdoor for powerusers to get around any carrier-blocked update.

Actually what they needed to do was enforce the update policy or make it through Zune and leave the carries out of the process entirely.

BudaAlien says:

I got the following error:

I have all 22 language packs in the same folder as the 7740 & 8107 updates, exactly as shown in the posts screen shot. Can any one help with this??
Many thanks in advance!

Need to clarify that error, you have nothing showing.

BudaAlien says:

Here is the error:
╚══> Your choice: B

╔══════» Creating list of cabs

╠══════» Backup and updating device

UpdateWP version 4.8.2345.0

4249-8643-3C387A514A27} failed due to the following error: 80040154.
Call stack:
   at Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.get_Instance()
   at wm7update.Program.Main(String[] args)

╚══════» Done
Press any key to continue . . .

Eck. Not sure on that one. COM errors are tough. Reboot computer, launch Zune Desktop, sync phone, close Zune Desktop and run the .bat file again.

If same issue, try a different computer? Sorry.

Check what languages you have on your phone, and only put those language packs in the folder with the updates.

djmikebrady says:

Shoot.. I'm stuck at this point too.  Rebooted PC, Sync'd, rebooted phone... no luck.  HTC Arrive, desperately seeking 8107.

q21701 says:

Same issue here, also have HTC Arrive

djmikebrady says:

Just tested and found the same error whether the phone was connected or not, when running UpdateWP.exe /list.  Something's wrong... :(

I just installed on my Sprint Arrive, no issues (doing a 2nd one now). If you are having problems, it's on your end/setup.

paulm187 says:

I searched for this component in the registry CLSID {77CB935D-D0CC-4249-8643-3C387A514A27} and its not there, are we missing something? Perhaps there is a missing component on our systems. I'm running Windows 7 (x64) Pro. So far I have tried rebooting both phones, removing password on phone, turing off UAC on my PC.

fogel35 says:

it may be a matter of using x64 or x86.  Make sure you are using the right one.

djmikebrady says:

I'm on Vista x86, just for fun tried the x64 version of the tool and got an error that it was the wrong flavor.  I'll go try it on my w7x64 machine and see what happens.

djmikebrady says:

Just tried it on my Win7 x64 machine, same results.  As a last ditch effort, downloading Zune to my XPSP3 netbook...

fogel35 says:

copy the files from the x64 folder in the x86 folder...the script has some problems with x64 systems? or do you have them in the same folder?

q21701 says:

I'm running the x64 on Windows 7 Professional x64. No conflict here.

paulm187 says:

I'm getting the same error, trying to update my Samsung Omnia 7

SolunaKitty says:

I had this error as well, and after a lil bit of reading, I came to a solution.

For x64: http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/6/6/666ED30F-15E4-4287-8E73-CE0...

For x86: http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/6/6/666ED30F-15E4-4287-8E73-CE0...

Just download and install the appropriate file, and then continue the process as it was written here.

Good luck!

haleme says:

That fixed the problem for me. Thanks!

Duckhole says:

After installing this it worked perfectly.

3lackdeath says:

Thanks for the fix

tiptop11 says:

I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
Paphos hotels

BudaAlien says:

@Daniel @Solunakitty @dirtybirdphoenix: Super Friends Thanks for the article and support! The additional update tool fixed the issue!

vincentw56 says:

I had that exact same problem. I went here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1306415. I downloaded the WP7_update_tool.rar from the main post. After I installed it, it worked fine.

Great.... AT&T is gobbling up all the high end, desired phones. And at the same time dropping support for all the others. Can't wait to see us all grab 900's and watch them drop support in exchange for the next phone they have grabbed exclusiveness to. A lot of this completely and absolutely sucks.

goldenpipes says:

I don't blame MS for this I blame the US carriers. MS was forced to leave updating process in the hands of the carriers otherwise what carriers would sell the phones? I used this method to update my focus s to 8107. And I'm not looking back.

q21701 says:

I only have English for my display language (There is no option to drill down into the selection screen) on my HTC Arrive. Should I be ok to proceed? Also, does this enable WiFi tethering?

Just use the English (United States) language pack.

No idea about WiFi tethering.

q21701 says:

Ok. Well, I'm begining the process on my Arrive. I'll post again when it is completed.

saket87 says:

Sprint arrive and only one language no option to change it. But if I put those files in like you mentioned will I get more languages, or the update would fail

It has to match.

Do NOT add more language than you need. If you only have English (US) then you only add English (US). Do not add more.

saket87 says:

did not put any other language packs even then i get error retrieving the com class factory ...... i dont know whats wrong. My OS is windows 8 though

"My OS is windows 8 though"

Ahem, that's probably the problem.

saket87 says:

that did the trick, people having com class problem look it. on the process to get to 8107...

djmikebrady says:

Yep, that did it for me!  But now I don't have time to do the update, so it'll have to wait til morning...  Sad, but happy that I know it'll work now!

chsoriano says:

Ahem, nope. I just updated 2 phones (TITAN and a Surround) while running Windows 8 CP

djmikebrady says:

I just checked my Arrive too, and it also only has English, with no option to select otherwise.

To Be Honest, this looks MUCH more safe 'n' sane than flashing to the leaked Mango ROM that was out several months before the official Mango update came out.  I lived through that, so I'm thinking I'll be on 8107 and no longer have vanishing keyboard by the end of this weekend!

slpaige says:

I did this shortly after 8107 was released (att focus s). I refuse to wait on any carrier. I'm so freaking tired of their BS.

trazer says:

Thank you for the easy to follow instructions.

HD7S has only English and Spanish FYI. May do this later when I have time. How about a tutorial on full custom roms? :)

Spyro JK says:

I confirm that the HTC HD7s on AT&T only has English and Spanish. My update took about 10 minutes (very few media files on phone), and all seems well with 8107. Need to run it through its paces, but I really got tired of AT&T deciding to skip ...yet... another update.
How do they expect us to jump on the Nokia 900 if they will most probably let it sit at its original ROM so that they can push the new WP7 (WP8) phones out after that? Disappointed by AT&T, but no better alternatives for now (need GSM and international travel.)

danygandhi says:

I dont understand why Microsoft does not directly release updates for developer devices atleast. Apple pre-releases updates to developers even if it is .0.1 of an update.  I feel like i wasted 100$ for a developer unlock just for the mango update.

You didn't have to do that,there was another way so that was your own fault. Now you can either debrand your device or use a regeditor and change carrier to T-mobile.

jabtano says:

This is just out right wrong! when an up dated is issued it should hit all phones this crap of holding back updates is wrong and I blame MS with this because we have to use zune for updates then MS push the dam thing out by way of Zune…

danj210 says:

I wanna know if the disappearing keyboard fix is the only feature I want from 8107. Are there any other features that are worth doing this for? I'm on the focus 1st Gen and am waiting for the 900 before I buy my next phone. The keyboard issue really does annoy me but is it worth it just for that? I did survive through the walshed phone stage.

I guess I should do this update if no future updates will be pushed to my device but we still don't have a definite yes or no on that.

Location fixes, security certificate fixes, and Gmail sync fixes...

danj210 says:

Good enough for me, thx.

goldenpipes says:

If you ever have problems you can flash 7004 rom and re update all the way to mango.

danj210 says:

That's what I did to fix my walshed phone, I can do it but I didn't want to lose my data. I already updated to 8107 tho so no worries.

malachijd says:

I did this for my verizon trophy awhile ago and haven't looked back since. It's really easy and it saved my sanity cause there was sometimes my keyboard would drop 4 or 5 times on just one text. Microsoft let us down by not forcing carriers to do updates but at least wpcentral hasn't. :D

cool8man says:

Worth mentioning just in case some people get confused "Deutsch" means "German" not "Dutch."
I can see some people downloading the wrong language pack because it says "Deutsch" in their display language menu.

mjrtoo says:

Seriously? :-)

Jarlsrcforce says:

I think ATT has realized that they skrewed up in the way they did wp before, and now they are starting all over, and hopefully properly with the 900 and Titan 2. Despite how much this angers me, beacuse i have a Titan, and if i dont get any more normal updates i will be very pissed, i think in the long run it is good for windows phone. And since i am planning on getting a apollo phone when they come out, it will be that much sweater when it finally gets here. But regardless we signed up for a two year contract with Att they should honor that and give us all of the updates no matter what, to all windows phones that will support it. But i guess its bitter sweet, windows phone in general should do better, but we, at the moment get left in the dust...for now. And if i read right its only a rumor that all of this discontinuation and non-updating is going to happen? Even though it does all actually make sad sense. We will just have to see! i love my tian so much though i will feel bad for it if it will no longer get updates, eh i dont feel to bad beacuse i will throw that thing asaide when apollo comes =)

jdep1 says:

I have a Samsung focus s SIM unlocked & to push the update all I had to do is use the diagnostic tool found on xda developers. Simple steps once its unbranded u can push the updates

As mentioned earlier, this does not work for Gen 2 devices.

mistato says:

It does if it is one of the focus brands.

jdep1 says:

Samsung focus s is a second generation device. Out of the box with mango worked perfectly

worraps says:

Hi. I used this method on my Lumia 800 last week. I got the instructions from another web site (not sure which site). Anyway, my phone has 22 languages, but I didn't install the 22 languages as the instructions I had didn't specify it.
My phone seems to be working ok.
What I would like to know is; If I try and change the display language of my phone and reset as directed, will this brick/walsh my phone?

slpaige says:

If you didn't install all of the languages your phone could be walshed, meaning you may not be able to get updates if/when an update is pushed out. (as noted in the xda forums)

worraps says:

Thanks for the quick reply.
I understand it is an easy process to revert back to my original OS build as I chose the "B" option when I updated.

slpaige says:

I'm not sure about your specific issue though. Forgot to add that in my last comment. There may be some info on xda though so you might check there.

goldenpipes says:

U can still ad the language updates after the fact. It will install them without error.

danj210 says:

The way I fixed a walshed phone was either revert to an old backup which I didn't have... So I then flashed Rogers stock rom from XDA and had to update all the way from pre nodo to current. Not a big deal at all considering I no longer had a walshed phone, just had to re install all my apps and lost my data. It was either that or never go beyond mango beta.

Morbid_Fun says:

Just wanted to let the community know that the update worked well for me. I have Verizon Trophy. Thanks for the update.

aubreyq says:

*sigh* Thanks AT&T. I'll enjoy giving you the finger when I bail out in the fall.

C'mon over to the T-mobile side, much better here and we have milk and cookies

Etyrnus says:

Focus Flash here, just did this, actually while you were posting this article.  Only loaded the english-us pack, seems to be fine.  Although it does have all 22 languages...wondering if I should do the rest...

mistato says:

I would recommend you do. Just my opinion.

Etyrnus says:

Restored back to 7740, fortunately i had done the back up and separate updates.  Then grabbed all the language packs and went back to 8107.  Everything seems fine.

dmw_4814 says:

This certainly DOES work on 2nd generation WP7 devices, at least Samsung handsets! I updated my Focus S almost 2 months ago and have had 0 problems! I was SO tired of my keyboard constantly disappearing, and of waiting for AT&T to issue any updates!

mistato says:

Also it is MUCH easier to use this method IF you have a Focus, Focus Flash, or Focus S. PLEASE SPREAD!!!!

1) Open your mobile browser and go to: http://www.kremese.sk/debrand_focus_s.zip
2) The file will be opened. Follow the instructions and tap on “debrandfocuss.xml”
3) Press Start
4) Navigate to Phone
5) Dial ##634#
6) Type *#9908#
7) Select DebrandFocusS
8) Press Save and Reboot

After that, connect to Zune and you will receive the 8107 update.
After you open the folder and get the blank screen in the web browser continue with step 4.
ONLY USE ON BRANDS STATED ABOVE!!!!!!!

Kadcidxa says:

Doesnt work on my first gen Focus. When I click save, all it says is "Loading GRPS Profile for debrandfocuss succeeded". When I reboot and load Zune. It still says "Your phone is up to date 7.10 (7720)".

burgerhockey says:

This worked on my 1st gen Focus! It was super easy to do. Thank you so much for posting this. Not only did it get rid if the keyboard bug, but it seems as though there is no longer any lag on showing the time when you hit it unlock button. Thanks again.

big_jakers says:

Thanks @mistato this was very fast and painless on my focus s, and I assume it will invite my phone to accept all updates as released by microsoft.  Very cool.

llanos5000 says:

Please tell me something like this is available for my lumia 800!

IMjBI says:

Worked on my Samsung Focus AT&T Branded. My phone is V1.3 (look under battery for your version) I've heard V1.4 are harder to update.

Updated first to 7740 then to 8107 then to 8112 and finally on 8773. FINALLY, I can type without wanting to throw my phone across the room.

Thanks!!!!

dmw_4814 says:

Yes, install ALL languages you have on your phone or you WILL have some kind of problems at some point!

Banstyle says:

Too much risk and not enough reward for me to force update. I'll wait for Apollo. :)

Can anyone please tell me, where in the registry, can I change my samsung focus from At&T to Rogers. That'd help greatly!

mistato says:

Do the method I posted.

WPSteve says:

What's the deal with our fellow Sprint Arrive users? Is this a go or a no-go?

djmikebrady says:

It's definitely a GO!  If you get the com error, just go here and download the right version for your machine.

djmikebrady says:

Just updated my Arrive... was feeling very dangerous, so I skipped the backup and just blasted the updates - took under 5 minutes, and I'm at 8107!

Man, I LOVE the WP7 Community!

Okay, just changed the carrier. Phone is currently updating. :D

Kadcidxa says:

Does SGH-I917 devices need all the language packs?

mistato says:

3) Press Start
4) Navigate to Phone
5) Dial ##634#
6) Type *#9908#
7) Select DebrandFocusS
8) Press Save and Reboot

After that, connect to Zune and you will receive the 8107 update.
After you open the correct folder and get the blank screen at the web browser continue with step 4. works for Focus, Focus Flash, and Focus S

Kadcidxa says:

Kadcidxa says:

Robert McLaws method worked on my Focus. I updated to 8107. Easier than I thought.

q21701 says:

Now running 8107 on HTC Arrive. Forget you Sprint!!!  Looks like you will have to install some additional files http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20161548&postcount=40 if you are running into the com issues. Very easy. This is a must! Thanks Daniel!  (Side note no WiFi Tethering enabled)

danxjano says:

just did this update and it worked fine. the only thing i had to do wa also install was windows phone support tool. then no error and all was good

MarkTidwell says:

Just did this to my orphaned Dell Venue Pro (with 32 GB I might add) and it went well. Mine is a TMobile type and only needed the US English pack. Took less than 10 minutes. Thanks guys!

rath79 says:

And I thought the update issues in Australia were pretty shit, so glad I gave an unbranded 800 now :D still waiting on 12070 tho

12468 says:

Hey i've got a question.
I own a unbranded & unlocked lumia 800. And so far i got all updates (maybe 1-2 weeks late, but i got them). Now nokia released a batery & camera fix (update ending on 2070).
However i hadn't got it yet so i became inpatient.

I used this tool to update & backup it. But i didn't add the language packs, because the site i got it from didnt say so. (i had all 22 installed)
Well the update worked, but i felt that my camera actually got worse in dark conditions.
So now i reverted to the backup.

Did I "walsh" my phone by doing this?

RustyU says:

No, you didn't. Walshing only applies to OS updates, and you only updated your firmware.

Jay Bennett says:

The instructions provided have nothing to do with firmware so I'm not entirely sure what you've done to your phone now

Soundtweaker says:

Tryed mistato's version and worked like a charm on my Focus. Actually installed 2 updates since Mango.

Dave Blake says:

I updated my Samsung Focus S everything went as discribed. This was a very easy process.

haleme says:

Two things about the update. First, my Titan had all 22 language packs installed. Second, this worked for me only after I applied the fixed suggested by SolunaKitty.
If this "Walshes" my phone, don't care because I am getting a Lumia 900 next month. I am doing this as a F*ck Off to AT&T.

Corepc says:

My AT&T Locked Focus Flash says thank you, because, not sure if Flash is up for EOL or not.
22 Languages like the Focus S
I had to use the window support tool x64 in order for it work on AT&T Focus Flash
took about 15 minutes was worried for a minute when things paused and nothing was happening on the phone display..the bar then reappeared and continued on..

wolf1891 says:

*sigh...*

my T-Mobile DVP has 109 languages!!!  (yes, I counted)

grrrr.....

MarkTidwell says:

Be sure you're checking the correct entry. The display language at the top of the list says English (US) and cannot be changed which means the DVP only has that one language pack (or at least that is how mine is configured). I'm actually typing this with the onscreen keyboard to verify that the disappearing keyboard is fixed.

darquehelmet says:

I don't know why, but this isn't working for my arrive. I followed the directions to the letter, even added the extra files needed via the Microsoft downloader tool. When I launch the cab sender and press "b" it collects logs from device and moves them to the log directory, cleans useless files and says its done. Press any key to continue. I Press any key and it just repeats the previous process.

cannon#WP says:

3 things: 1. You don't need to install every language pack, you just need to install the base language pack & the language packs that you use. I have 5 languages installed on my quantum but only use US English so i only installed the 0409 pack and haven't had ANY troubles. 2. You can still get OEM updates as those can be sent to the phone in the same way which leads to... 3. Even if your phone is "Walshed" you can continue on the cab sender path to keep your phone up to date on your own terms. I'm untethered now from relying on AT&T for my updates.

"I'm untethered now from relying on AT&T for my updates."
AMEN TO THAT! :)

aphrophyre says:

This may sound silly but, one of the MS Troubleshooting docs says to avoid USB HUBS, and even suggests using a USB port on the back of your machine. Lo and behold that worked for me! Running the update process right now.

ResonantEcho says:

I have a HTC Arrive (Sprint) and am getting the following error when I execute the "WP7 Update Cab Sender.bat" and press "b":
The program can't start because ZuneCfg.DLL is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

jayruguitar says:

Performing update now on my HTC Surround.  Fingers crossed.

jayruguitar says:

Sweet success!  Thanx guys!

mangojain says:

Hi jayruguitar
Do you have internet sharing enabled on your Surround? Do you remember which update you got it with. Let me know, please, if you remember. Thanks.

snakechia says:

Basically this is very simple and useful method to get the first hand of the update.

I'd using it for my HTC Mozart, Radar, Lumia 800 flawlessly. It's safe and easy!

ResonantEcho says:

Still not working for my Arrive.

Do you have to extract the files to the C: drive?  I extracted everything to my F: drive.  My Zune Software is installed on my D: drive.  If I run "updatewp /list" it doesn't find my device. It shows the com error others were getting and then tells me it cannot find ZuneCfg.DLL.

I installed the recommended fix (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20161548&postcount=40) and still have the problem.

My Zune Software works fine.  I sync my phone daily.  Tried once again before posting this message.

expectafight says:

interesting, i posted the link in the comments section of various websites less than 24 hours ago and 4 sites ended up posting tutorials on a "slow news" saturday.  again, how very interesing.

Any way, if you keep a decent back up, you should be okay with this method.  it does require you to pay attn and follow instructions (even when they feel elementary).

thirdday2002 says:

Thx for the tip, Woodbane! Now sporting 8107 on my Focus. That was easy, why didn't I do this a long time ago?

elixir_pr says:

Just updated my HTC Mazaa device to 8107. Microsoft had sent me the developers device.
Thanks Rubino.

elixir_pr says:

Just discovered that the update has fixed HTC Mazaa's camera as well. The camera would focus before the update. Now its focus very well in normal as well as macro mode. Thanks again Rubino.

pwachleman says:

I used this to update my Focus S, was so sick and tired and frustrated with AT&T not putting out the update that really IS a necessary update to fix a real problem, re the disappearing keyboard.  I am using Windows 8 so I had some issues with IE letting me copy the whole CABS entry but once I flipped to Chrome it went flawless, very easy and no lost data or anything.  Seeing that I recently read that this less than 6 months old and IMO great phone is EOL'd already I figure if there are issues down the road with updating it I wont feel too SOL.  I have two observations, I really think if AT&T wants to make WP a showcase OS they better get off this no updating kick, its really annoying and 2, I really think Microsoft by allowing this stuff is pushing people awfully hard to use Nokia devices instead of other OEMs.  This could point hard to a single manufacturer in the future, IMO, which, also IMO isnt a good thing.

robertftw says:

Thanks my phone even stayed Chevron unlocked :)

EliteMikes says:

Success on my vzw Trophy.  Screw verizon.

BTW you should update the files needed to include the wp support tools.  Some people MAY need it.  I needed it and I have all the dev tools on my machine, I imagine others would need it as well

Agreed, since I needed it too. I'm glad a couple people posted the link in the comments.

Just ran this on my AT&T Titan, and no issues to report! :) Thanks for the tutorial and links to the files.

jimski says:

Thank you guys. And thank you Heathcliff. Took about 20-25 minutes on my Surround (only about 5.5GB free).
It should be noted that that batch file, specifically the Choice command, would not run on my XP (my primary sync) machine. I copied all the files over to a Vista X64 machine, which I used to download Developer tools and Dev unlock my phone, and everything worked without a hitch.

jayruguitar says:

Just completed my wife's 1st gen Focus.  Added all five language packs, downloaded and installed the support tool for my Win7 Enterprise x64 build machine; update process completed w/out a hitch.  Thanx everyone for all the great tips and links to the files!

fpostrow says:

3 Samsung Focii v1.3 all running 8107 for over a month now. No disappearing keyboard. Having said that I am looking forward to the 900 release. Fantastic phone, but will it get Apollo?

mjrtoo says:

Just did my Quantum with the registry mobile operator change and everything worked a treat. You can do a quick search and find the method for the NoDo update, works the same for 7.5.

Fuzzy John says:

Thank you. Just updated my TITAN. Very easy. Shame AT&T wouldn't do it.
Next time they ask me to extend my contract I will remind them about this.

MannLou says:

^^ ditto on all points. Wondering about Apollo myself. Guess they'll be a work around like this one. The email fix is the biggest difference for me.

DavidinCT says:

Everyone, this is a easy, follow the directions to the "T" and you will be fine. I did this when 8107 first came out from XDA(not as clearly written, Thanks Dan). The Offical Verizon update came out and I got updated.
Make sure you get the lang files correct and you wont have any issues with later updates....

wpcitizen says:

I just installed it on my ATT Titan without any issue...thanks Dan for the detailed steps :)

abond32 says:

Installed on ATT Titan as well and works fine. Detailed directions were great. Thanks everyone and my keyboard is still up, wow.. :)

shreyasdilip says:

Can anybody please help me with updating my LG quantum?? I saw a comment initially in which a user said he updated by just changing the registry.. Can somebody guide me?

DUNK88 says:

anyone know if att is going to release the tango update at least?

BobcatRidge says:

I followed the directions carefully and now my Verizon Trophy is running 8107. Thanks for publishing this information! The only thing I've noticed so far is that my cellular speed indicator is now showing 1X instead of 3G. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Update: After a few hours, the 3G indicator has returned! Looks like the update went perfect!

levers says:

update went fine but still getting dissapearing keyboard!
Omnia 7 Orange UK

wganz says:

I did this for both a Focus and Focus S (AT&T).  Everthing went fine, however has anyone noticed that speech to text no longer works (both updated phones have the issue) unless you're connected to Wifi?  That is, if if you disconnect from Wifi, open the "Messenging" app, select a thread (or start anew one), and push the mic button, after you dictate the message it comes back with "Couldn't connect".  I've messed around with my apn settings using the "Wireless Manager" from Samsung with no success.  Other threads note there being issues with data connectivity after the update, however my cellular data connection works fine (the nearest I can tell) except for this issue.  If someone could try this on their phone I'd appreciate it!

Kadcidxa says:

I have the same problem on my Samsung Focus when I disconnect from my wifi network. Even with sms, it doesn't work anymore.

MaulerX says:

I'm having the same issue with my Titan. Shucks...we gotta figure this out.

wganz says:

This issue is not related to this update. I verified that it is also broken on a phone that has not been updated.

welsbloke says:

I cannot really recommend this for say the 8107 update but I can for things such as the recent Nokia firmware. That said I was fortunate that T Mobile UK rolled the update out even if it took them a while. The battery firmware for the Nokia though was critical the phone was almost unuseable in its previous state prior to the update.

pantsaregood says:

When I update this way, I am unable to use my "phone" features.
Using an AT&T Titan. Trying to open the phone application just sends me back to the home screen. Same thing happens if I attempt to enter "phone" in settings.
What did I do wrong?

winniebaygo says:

Having the same issue.  No idea why.  Can still call out when dialing a contact but the Phone tile fails to load.  Anyone seen this with 8107 update?

gdarlington says:

Same here my titan Phone tile only works up to 7740 as soon as it went to 8107 it just sends me back to the home screen

usnavydoc says:

Thanks for all the work!  I can use my Titan as my daily phone again and put the Android away.  Down with AT&T for not supporting windows phone more, and hurray for wpcentral!

MBarrick says:

Worked like a charm on my Samsung Focus Ver. 3. Thanks.

Morbid_Fun says:

I have the same problem in my trophy with the phone tile.

karpar says:

The Focus debranding method worked perfectly for both my Gen1 rev1.3 Focus and my wife's Gen1 rev1.4. I'm glad this was so easy, but I'm really disappointed to see AT&T falling down on the job so spectacularly. What's a US Windows Phone fan to do? They have far and away the best hardware - I really want a Lumia 900 or a Titan II, but I hate sticking with AT&T (and I can't necessarily pay for an unlocked device). Dang.

Amazing!! Can u imagine all the people that are not hip to WPcentral and have no clue how to fix these disappearing keyboard this way.....seek then out and help them .... Then tell them not to fall into the AT&Trap and stay away and wait for Apollo on their carrier :)

movieman52 says:

Worked on my two Samsung Focus S - followed the steps above and had no issues!

usnavydoc says:

Updated my HTC titan, most of the phone features work except for the phone icon which starts the keypad. It doesn't pull up so I can't dial. The only way I could call was using people icon. Had to restore old build.

jonlask says:

Okay so I have the HTC Titan and I put the 3 files into a new folder, plugged in my phone and hit the .exe then the .cab and I get "zunecfg.dll is missing" error. So I try the x86 windows phone tool and hit restore and it gives me the same error and I even uninstalled Zune and reinstalled it to C:, still same error. Tried different USB's and still no luck. Does it matter where I unzip the original files to? Someone please help.

teaMJPx says:

For those having issues with ZUNE... I had to uninstall and re-install it then it worked. Something with Zune and a tool for it with a higher number than necessary... Reinstalled and it went without a glitch... HTC Arrive btw... All u need is the zip file and the ENGLISH language package. Everything else is there. Hella easy! Thanks!

jft67 says:

Awesome! Thank you guys! You helped me with the early Mango update and now this for my first gen Focus. Major Kudos!!

darquehelmet says:

Well after a little messing around, I got this update to work on my arrive. The batch file didn't want to play nice with XP pro so I installed via windows7 virtual machine. Thanks so much for posting this guide. Oh yeah, one last thing. PHUCK YOU SPRINT! PHUCK YOU HARD WITH A RUSTY SPORK!

identity-x says:

question...
could this finally be a way to update your phone whenever you want instead of waiting for carriers to push an update?
i.e. run this following every step to a T, EXCEPT delete the update .cab files?

Almrls says:

Just wanted to report that I updated my 1st gen Samsung Focus with this described method. It was really quite painless, but took over 20 mins because I have used up all but 500MB of the stock 8GB on the phone. Was hoping not to get a COM error and didn't. I also saw mastito's alternate method, but it seems it "debrands" your phone, and I wasn't sure if that meant that I would definitely not get any future updates from AT&T (if any were planned) or other similar repercussions. Funny though, I actually went to the website in that method beforehand, and while typing it in, the keyboard disappeared lol.

I updated my phone, everything worked except the call making phone app doesn't work anymore. If I open the app, its shuts down automatically even before it opens fully

Titan - unlocked, used with Tmobile

Success on my Focus!

HoodedHat says:

ATT LG Quantum?

korg250 says:

Did not work on my AT&T Focus 1.3. I got the COM error, even after installing WP Support Too. Maybe it is related with the SD card I have installed?
Shame and screw AT&T!

brad4560 says:

just took the plunge on my t-mo nokia lumia 710. worked like a charm, thank you!!!

winniebaygo says:

For those having Phone tile issues,
You are missing a language file.  Looks like some of the Titans have more than English installed.  Revert to 7720 and grab the languages cab.  Unzip them all to the cab sender folder.  Then run the update.  No more phone tile issue!
Also, be sure to place the cab sender folder in the root of C drive.  Use an elevated command prompt (Windows Vista/7/8/Win2008 Server) to start "WP7 Update Cab Sender.bat" after starting the UPDATEWP.EXE for your OS version.

safesax2002 says:

Worked on my Verizon Trophy perfectly! Thanks WPCentral!

it to 8017..

Dell checked my service tag and replied with :

so I opened the Engineering Mode in my phone and looked at the security, it was
(Unlock / GLEOS2A_US_TMO_SIMLoc1_001)

NairobiWP7 says:

Awesome! This updated my unlocked LG Quantum (orginally AT&T) to 8107. I had tried several times to update using the LG MFG Registry tool, but it never worked.
I nitially had a COM error, but thaat was solved with the WPSupport Tool.
Thanks WP Central!

diplomat696 says:

I posted this in the http://forums.wpcentral.com/software-development-hacking/188730.htm but wanted to add as a comment to this thread too to maximize potential for responses :)
So I completed the update to 8107 yesterday on my AT&T Rev 1.3 Samsung Focus and all went smoothly, suddenly today my "phone" tile was no longer working. I figured it had to be the update as I had not changed anything else on the device so I went to restore the backup I had created yesterday when updating.
Must not be my day today because during the restore process the usb connection somehow disconnected (not physically) and I ended up with the following symptoms:
- Cannot boot my phone past the first white samsung logo coming up
- Can access download mode
- Can access Hard Reset/Format
After going through the process with either a hard reset I briefly see the Samsung Logo again on my device and then get a black screen for a minute or so. After that the windows phone logo with usb cable and pc logo showing connect the usb cable to my pc comes up and sits on the screen nothing else happens.
I have read that this may indicate that it is possible to flash my device back to the original retail rom using WP7 downloader ver 7.21 BUT I am having trouble finding/getting access to the original roms link from the xda developers site. Wondering if anyone has any other links to the original at&t retail rom for focus v1.3 or if anyone here can give me any other suggestions on fixes for the above described issue?
Thanks in advance to anyone with any suggestions!!

dkbales says:

When running the batch file I keep running into this error - 'CHOICE' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Did I miss something along the way or do I need to edit my batch file. I am on a XP box so I imagine that could be contributing to the issue.

dkbales says:

XP was the problem. I am on a Windows 7 box now and all seems to be working well. Why is it always after I ask a question I find the (sometimes) obvious solution?

safesax2002 says:

Anyone on a Verizon Trophy notice a battery life decrease? It may just be in my head as I have started listening to podcasts but I wouldn't think it would take that much more battery.

JasyDubYa says:

Worked great for my HD7S.  Only needed English and Spanish.  Thanks guys you are awesome!

gsm824 says:

Thanks WPCentral! I followed your procedure and it worked flawlessly for my year-old Samsung Focus. Beats the heck out of waiting for the next update AND for AT&T to decide if they're gonna release it.

s_sandeep853 says:

Hey,

I have Samsung focus too but for me the phone function does not work post update. Although every other application works fine but the phone  and dial pad does not respond. Let me know if you faced the same issue with Samsung focus

rmsalt says:

Did you ever resolve the phone pad not working problem. I just did the update on my HTC Titan and have the same problem. Everything else seems to work fine.

fulbrms says:

I'm having trouble with step 5.  It's working but is repeatedly asking me to 'press any key to continue'.  It has created 300+ folder log entrys in the 'logs' folder and I have no idea how much longer it will take.  Is there a way to do the backup in a streamed method (no prompting)?
Also, step 6 is a little vague on 'then install the updates'.  How?
How do I install to the phone?

hauz_20 says:

I just attempted to connect my phone to Zune for the first time since performing this update and there's a connection error. Any suggestions? Samsung Focus.

famir says:

Thanks for the detailed instruction. I am successful on my arrive. I know it's old...

I decided to try this update on my Sprint HTC Arrive.  I followed the directions and did the update on my Wife's phone (HTC Arrive) and mine with ZERO issues.  Nothing was deleted, no errors, and do not see the disappearing keyboard issue (fingers crossed).  Sync's fine with Zune.  My wife has her own profile on this Windows 7 machine so I did the update on my profiel, then switched to her profile to complete the update of her phone. Thanks Daniel and WPCentral!

miguelco01 says:

I have the HTC titan and I know that the only language pack I need is English, but i was wondering if I can add spanish as well since I will give the phone as a gift to a person that only speaks spanish.

boroldoi says:

I'm getting an Error: Update device 925c541e - bf4a1e5b - ba7e1d27 - 972de919 Complete with error code: 801812C1, error message: A driver for your phone needs to be updated and couldn't be installed in time.
Anybody's help will be appreciated. Thanks.

miguelco01 says:

you need to update your Bootloader http://www.htc.com/www/help/htc-titan/#download and then try again!

JasonH81 says:

I'm getting this weird error: Update device 214d743b - 911df971 - 9b4e2b50 - 6c3b2b22 Complete with error code: 80070013, error message: An unexpected error has occured. And that's after it says completing updates. I have windows 8cp, tried all the phone installers, syncing to zune... Don't know what else to do? Need Help

masaga91 says:

follow the instructions, download and install the fix from the htc page, then you can install without problems

JD12181 says:

I updated mu Samsung focus s but thers a problem m unable to open the phone icon n dialer pad plsssssssssss help

Update:- sucess by updating it from the root of c drvie
thanks developers

s_sandeep853 says:

Hey, I'm facing the same issue on my focus too... Please let me know if you get a solution to this. As of now i have reverted the changes and back to 7720.

intae1129 says:

Thanks i got it working.

s_sandeep853 says:

I tried this update yesterday and it defenitly started working... but post update the "call" function stopped responding. I had to restore to 7720 :-(. If you can help i would love to manually push these updates on my phone.
The update took approx 15 mins and it showed up system info too that i have 8107. i tested by replying on few emails. everything else work except the "call" function.

Samsung focus
WP7.5
ATT

Raggy360 says:

Updated Samsung Omnia 7 T-Mobile UK without any problems.

So far only difference I have seen is the speed up of unlocking phone.

MarkRadaba says:

I have an HTC Surround on 7720.  I tried doing forcing to 8107, using the steps above and got this error:

4249-8643-3C387A514A27} failed due to the following error: 80040154.
Call stack:
at Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.Initialize()
at Microsoft.WindowsMobile.DeviceUpdate.DeviceManager.get_Instance()
at wm7update.Program.Main(String[] args)

I tried the Windows Phone Support Tool and it said it can't recover my phone.  It says "the tool cannot recover this phone.  Please contact technical support."  Zune software reports a restoration error.  It says my phone can't be restored to the latest software restore point.
Any ideas?

NirajS says:

Hello ,

I have a HTC HD7 AT&T device with 7.10,7720.68 version.
I have tried to update it using the procedure you have describrd above but after number of errors and resolutions i stuck at strange error,
==========================================
Error: The resource loader failed to find MUI file. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8
0073AFC)
Call stack:
   at wm7update.Program.UpdateDevice(IDeviceInfo deviceInfo, List`1 updates, Upd
ateType type)
   at wm7update.Program.Main(String[] args)

╚══════» Done
Press any key to continue . . .
==========================================

Can you please help and let me know what was wrong with it ?

Regards,
Nic

sam2791 says:

ok so it worked for me on my HTC surround but now i cant open the dialer pad.Each time I click the phone tile it doesnt open..

Kweku Adjaye says:

I got the following error on my Samsung Focus Flash:
Error:
Update device 9b8ba9af - 43494c91 - e8f1ac62 - 400b5376 Complete with error code: 8018004D, error message: IU (Image Update) installation failed on phone: No applicable packages.

swanny78 says:

Yes I get this msg to after it backs up , installs update to phone , phone reboots, then the Dos Screen says the above msg you mention Kweku.  My phone also displays that the update has failed.  Im on a HTC HD7 Phone with OS Version: 7.10.8773.98.

sanien says:

I get this too on my LG Optimus 7 :-( what to do?

sanien says:

Im getting this exact problem, what to do?

I got the same thing on my Nokia 710.

Just in case it helps.

Creating a backup: Completed in 393.32 seconds

Installing updates: Completed in 22.13 seconds

Checking your phone's status: Completed in 0.01 seconds

Restarting your phone: Completed in 31.74 seconds

Completing updates: Completed in 13.87 seconds

Error:

Update device fdaf7473 - abe03e0a - 7f75b475 - 0943eca5 Complete with error code

plicable packages.

╚══════» Done

Press any key to continue . . .

I got the same issue. Please somebody help with this issue.

lewish327 says:

wont update my htc radar c110e

Alex Dresko says:

-comment deleted-

Help for the technically slow people - I followed the instructions above to update my HTC Arrive (Sprint) phone.  The process ran once.  When the process was completed, it still shows Windows Phone 7.5 OS Version 7.10.8107.79.
Any idea where I went wrong?

Chris Lound says:

I just tried going from version 8773 (tango) to 8779, then to 8783 then to 8858, 8779 worked, 8783 failed then 8858 worked.  After the update finished my phone restarted ok but no new start screen or new tiles.  Also all my non MS apps stopped working and most of my settings options wouldn't open.
Any ideas what could have gone wrong?  i'm in the process of trying a restore to see if i can get some functionality back....

LinkArt says:

Creating a backup: Completed in 413.74 seconds

Installing updates: Completed in 16.05 seconds

Checking your phone's status: Completed in 0.01 seconds

Restarting your phone: Completed in 31.14 seconds

Completing updates: Completed in 14.72 seconds

Error:

Update device 934a815e - b3891887 - e6715c0c - 3d4d3a2f Complete with error code

plicable packages.

anyone else got this?

mikeb58 says:

I got the same thing with my Sprint HTC arrive...looked like a winner, then "no application packages"
Any options left except leaving Sprint?

Mike