Recent comments

kinaton says:

IP address will change depending on ISP. So not sure how that would work.

pepsijosh says:

YAY!! I just got this for myself on my Lumia 1020 & on my dads Lumia 625. I saw the app on the store before this post but ignored it as I didn't think it applied to me.

kinaton says:

Nokia couldn't unlock my phone when I sent for repair. Was quite shocked

Dean McCrae says:

Haven't had chance to look at the SDK yet. Have they made a nice memory-friendly SaveToPng method for us?

By the way. I'm also using two Titanfall XBox One Controllers! They look awesome. My two boys, ages 4 1/2 and almost 7, are going to be so excited in the morning when they find out that the controllers are functioning and we can play some new games during Easter Break! :-)

See, the people who said its working had bought it on their PCs first and got it as "owned" on their phones. However you bought it on phone first, maybe it doesnt work that way YET.

I could be wrong, I just noticed it.

gamato says:

No quiet hours without Cortana? Why? :-/

2tomtom says:

So agree with the Picture Hub, was was unique and beautiful now looks boring and needs to be returned to its former style, PLEASE!!!

I downloaded it on my Lumia 1520 mainly for the thing to see that if project to screen over Wi-Fi works, but for the kind information the project my screen DOES NOT WORK ON LUMIA 1520, IT SHOWS CANNOT CONNECT OVER WIFI PLEASE CONNECT USB, THE 800$ PHONE IS NOT EVEN BETTER THEN SAMSUNG S3 WHICH IS ONLY 399$ , secondly why the hell is music app taking so much of time to load even when I try to load it as soon as the phone starts with no background apps, the thing this update is for developer's I know but have it killed my expectation that it will beat my thought that going to a Nokia phone was really a bad idea over Samsung android OS

Paul...I am sooo sorry...I went back and re-read your guide and realized it was a little more complicated than just the order, although that was part of it, but I want to make sure the guide is complete for Windows 7 users so I re-watched the video and here's the results to correct the guide properly:

Please note that the Windows 7 process is the same process that XP and Vista users will have to follow as well.

In Step 2 you need to add:

Windows 7 users won't be able to find WinUSB Device, because Windows 7 requires you to install using a custom .INF ... thankfully one has been provided in the  \W7_XP_VISTA\ folder.

Copy/paste the location of your C:\XboxGamePad_1.01\ folder into the "Search for driver software in this location:" box, make sure the "include subfolders" box is checked, and click the Next button. See pic: http://i57.tinypic.com/ohiw5l.jpg

Windows will prompt you that it cannot verify the creator of the file. Click to "Install this Software Anyways" and Device Manager will now list your properly installed "Microsoft XBox One Controller"

Repeat this step for each additional XBox One controller you connect.

Step 5 (LibUSBDotNet) needs to go before Step 3 and you need to add:

For Windows 7 users, Select “Install a device filter” and select the "Microsoft XBox One Controller" device(s) from the top of the list. Choose Install and hit OK.

Repeat this step for each additional XBox One controller you connect.

((( that's it for the required changes ... sorry I didn't catch it the first time )))

Please note: the XboxOneDriverApp.exe will have to remain open AT ALL TIMES when using the XBox One Controller in Windows. Also the App and the (optional Step 6) XBox 360 Emulator (x360ce.exe) will have to remain open AT ALL TIMES to use the XBox One Controller as an XBox 360 Controller in Windows. - Due to this, I recommend making shortcuts to these executable files and placing them on your desktop for easy access. See pic: http://i58.tinypic.com/2dbsd9l.jpg

The icon I used for the App shortcut can be found here:

-cheers-

What does iOS maps have to do with iOS? When it was released with iOS, people complained!

Samm Neiland says:

I figured that the best results would make for something more simple. Honestly, vector illustrations work wonderfully as backgrounds. Fits that nice metroy theme.

Anyway, as a companion to my lock screen background

I figured I'd dedicate my Start Screen to my other favourite robotic musical act.

(Daft Punk and Janelle Monae respectively, in case anyone wasn't sure)

Paul Acevedo says:

What method did you use to find those games, Brian? Is there an easier way than just searching for games that are available on both platforms?

This is all very well but I know it will be about a year till the official update is released! Why do we have to rely on carriers?! Why cant Microsoft or Nokia just roll out the update now??!

Big battery drain on 920, 10% in half an hour on idle...

After upgrading to WP 8.1 on my Lumia 520(India), i am not able to open the standalone Video and Game apps, after clicking these nothing happens, whereas I can open Music app. Any help will be highly appreciated

85Baby says:

wouldn't it be awesome if they brought Cortana to Windows 8.1 as well

OK, I'm so sorry...I went back and re-read your guide and realized it was a little more complicated than just the order, although that was part of it, but I want to make sure the guide is complete for Windows 7 users so I re-watched the video and here's the results to correct the guide properly:

In Step 2 you need to add:

Copy/paste the location of your C:\XboxGamePad_1.01\ folder into the "Search for driver software in this location:" box, make sure the "include subfolders" box is checked, and click the Next button. See pic: http://i57.tinypic.com/ohiw5l.jpg

Repeat this step for each additional XBox One controller you connect.

Step 5 (LibUSBDotNet) needs to go before Step 3 and you need to add:

Repeat this step for each additional XBox One controller you connect.

Please note: the XboxOneDriverApp.exe will have to remain open AT ALL TIMES when using the XBox One Controller in Windows. Also the App and the (optional Step 6) XBox 360 Emulator (x360ce.exe) will have to remain open AT ALL TIMES to use the XBox One Controller as an XBox 360 Controller in Windows. - Due to this, I recommend making shortcuts to these executable files and placing them on your desktop for easy access. See pic: http://i58.tinypic.com/2dbsd9l.jpg

The icon I used for the App shortcut can be found here:

-cheers-

Manoj Daran says:

PROBLEM!!! I did exactly what's told in the above. I checked for updates, got one, update it. When the phone finished installing, I found it starnge to see no WP8.1!!! Nothing's changed yet. I got a pop up saying, "Now your phone is all set to get the latest updates including the WP8.1. Check for updates in the Settings." I Checked for the updates and the process goes on repeating!! Some one help me please.

My phone is L520, India. Lumia Black Update installed.

For me biggest dissapointment in WP 8.1 is lack of messenger integration. Maybe it wasn't working perfectly but at least was way faster than skype. Now I have to send texts where I could use messenger.

Don't think so. You just have to set up your application... ;)

ETERNELLES says:

Hello Eveyone,

Updated my Nokia 1520 to Windows 8.1
since then.......

Vibrate- Vibrating mode doesn't work at all........is this normal?

Also downloaded  HARDWARE TEST App still does not work.

THANKS

Backgrounds pictures don't work well since they are faded. All light bright colors look dirty and unappealing.

Alpha Tauri says:

I guess Quiet Hours in only available in the US. I could always change my region, sure, but I prefer it to be set in my own country.

ETERNELLES says:

Hello Eveyone,

Updated my Nokia 1520 to Windows 8.1
since then.......

Vibrate- Vibrating mode doesn't work at all........is this normal?

Also downloaded  HARDWARE TEST App still does not work.

THANKS

jjjjbbf says:

You'll have to keep your phone in your back pocket otherwise how would the remote wipe function work?

zaidgkhan says:

How to get diagonal time on lock screen..?

Aashish13 says:

Sorry to be off topic but my Lumia hung twice till now. I know its on Feb preview mode or beta mode but i thought informing is better as developers would come to know.

WetmoreMJ says:

WP has a hidden secret. IP address that may be tracked via cell or GPS. WP has surpassed BB in security measures.

d_abbatelli says:

Extremely unhappy with Quiet Hours :(

All I wanted was something silencing my phone automatically, all I got is some kind of lousy airplane mode where you don't get any notification at all (unless you add inner circle, but then nothing prevents your mum from calling you during important meeting to ask what you want for dinner, which kind of defeats the point...)

Give me back Nokia Situations! It was way smarter than this!

You didn't set it up correctly and you are using Flip Tile. If you want to have it right, then do it this way:
In WPC go to Settings -> Live tile -> Configure live tile -> Iconic Tile
Wait several minutes for Live Tile become transparent. :)

<p>when i check uadate a windows phone update then erroe msg is... we are currently unable check for updates(80190198)..... Plz anyone help meee..... plz plz</p>

Jakeway says:

Seems you can no longer hold your finger on the box to move the carrot where you want.... that was always really useful.

WetmoreMJ says:

Every WP has an IP address which can access any network including GPS.

Jay Bennett says:

Oh no problem at all and you didn't sound cranky :) I've just got hundreds of people asking me about this tile right now! :D the writers have disabled the live tile in these pictures to keep things transparent

StewCElliott says:

Even after only a short time using the three column view the old two column layout seems goofily large.

Though on any phone smaller than my 925, I wouldn't consider it

percistratus says:

Okay found it as one of the lenses in camera. Still it was much convenient easier using the search button

For me important to conserve bettery for other uses then to use cortana with location on and exhaust bettery in couple of hours. MS take notice please. Give good bettery support please. Lumia 820.

Aslam

hwangeruk says:

So..

MassDestruction: You like both, subscription, and full payment.

Lippidp: You only like subscription.

The only person "forcing" is Lippidp, who is forcing himself into having no choice.

I also note, Lippdip is reluctant to change to Windows 8.
I am building up a picture of Lippidp as someone who doesn't like change, and is driven by emotion on lots of decision making. I wouldn't hire a Lippidp.

leumas85 says:

Don't know why that don't release to uk now been avin a right old chin wag with no complications at all

Dev C says:

Check this #WP81 Start screen and background pic http://t.co/K3y425lDdw

percistratus says:

I can't tag QR codes any more Cortana took my Bing Vision. Or, can I?

ramiz raja says:

Hi,

I enabled the "Preview for Developers" and downloaded the S/W but it is still showing Windows Phone 8.0

I am using Nokia Lumia 925.

Please help.

Sin Ogaris says:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was cranky or anything like that it's just that in the photos above it shows the wpcentral tile as transparent so I thought I might have been doing something wrong on my end.

Is it truly that awful? I DWNLD 8.1 today, but disabled Wi-Fi + auto update due to tone of this blurb. Anyone subbing Spotify, Pandora, etc to fill the void?

Pages