Handyscan gets upgraded to Mango with new scanner-feature
Handyscan (see our old review) is easily one of out top apps for Windows Phone. If you ever need to keep receipts for expenses, photograph that insurance information after a crash, wanted to keep a copy of you passport, then you need this app. Not only does it work real well for document-image taking, but it allows you to save as a JPG or PDF, then upload it to Skydrive or Dropbox for safe keeping. It's smartly designed, elegant and makes scanning docs a pleasure.
We've been using it for so long that we thought it already was on Mango, but alas that's not the case. Now with version 3.3, you can get Mango fast-app switching but also a few other additions:
- Independent scanning resolution and flash settings
- Automatic trigger eliminates need to press any button, helps keeping your pulse firm for an optimal scan.
- Mango enabled / Fast switching / New Metro look
- Skydrive support
- Backup/restore all your info
- Fewer steps to scan
- Press back to re-scan
- Large/readable thumbnails option
- Realistic scanning visuals
- Fixed: scanning allowed when connected to Zune on PC
- Fixed: corrupted zip files when too big
- Added Czech translation
The new scanning feature is pretty wild: you hit start-scan and the app counts down, letting you concentrate on holding the phone right for the photo. The camera then scans the app, using your flash, creating the image. From there, you can adjust the crop and then apply a filter that make the text look clear. It's a very cool effect and with Mango, the app has seemingly become twice as fast to launch and execute a function. If we sound like we're gushing, then yeah, guilty. But don't take our word, pick up the app here for $2.49 in the Marketplace with a free trial, or grab the free version here.