A look at Mango's overhauled Live Tile system [MIX11]
Wow, so we were just schooled by Windows Phone Program Manager Thomas Fennel on the updated Live Tile andn Push Notification system coming with the May developer tools and to Mango for consumers. Needless to say, we're impressed and if you watch the above video you'll see why.
Some cool features:
- Local notifications: these aren't push, but instead are purely local--great for alarms, reminders, "note tiles", etc.
- Deep Toast: Say 'Weather Bug' gives you a flood toast notification, when you click it, it can now take you directly to the flood alert, instead of just opening the app. This is very cool.
- Multi-tiles: One app, 'X' amount of tiles. For example, you have a news app with World, Local and Political news, you can now create individual Live Tiles for each category, or whatever the dev allows
- Live Tile limit bumped: Currently, you can only have 15 Live Tiles on your phone. Starting with Mango, that goes to 30.
- Tile flip: When a notification comes in, the Tile can "flip" with a back image (see video)
- Improvements: Reliability, performance and efficiency (15 min polling, down from 60) have all been adjusted and made better
What can we say, we're totally excited about the new Live Tile and Push Notification system. Microsoft is keen on making it easier, more robust, "smarter" and more than just a simple alert system. Oh and we did ask Fennel about the "issues" many of you are experiencing with Live Tiles e.g. they go completely dead. In short, we're contacting him with more info and will be working with him to get to the root of this ongoing problem.
Check after the break for a few slides...