One big complaint we hear over and over from devs is how to get their app featured in the Marketplace--you know, one of the apps listed in when you launch the store, sometimes it has a nifty panorama, or the app is feature on Microsoft's site, etc. To have your app up there, especially for indie devs, is huuuge as it gives much attention to their work and in turn, well, more revenue.
Microsoft just announced the oddly titled 'Spring cleaning project' which is a contest of sorts to allow devs a shot at getting their app featured. Up till now, the process has been mostly unknown and there were no known methods of getting MS's attention to consider your app. Now, with this contest, devs can basically contact Microsoft and tell 'em why their app meets the three requirements:
- There will be three different opportunities: April, May, and June 2011
- Your App must be published to the Windows Phone Marketplace by the 15th of each month (by 11:59 PM PST)
- Your App must work as promised
- Your App must be new to the Marketplace or be a new version with substantial, new features or capabilities as mentioned earlier
- You then email the following information to email@example.com:
We'll post the rest after the break, but this should be a big hit with indie devs and we're hoping some of our favorites get featured.
Update: To clarify, games do count too--but since pivot/panorama don't apply, other criteria will e.g. use of a Live tile or push notification. In other words, be creative! (Thanks, Ben Lower, from Microsoft for the clarification)
Source: Windows Phone Marketplace Developer Communication
Send the following info to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your App Hub Live ID
- Application ID
- New App or Update to Existing App?
- (if update) What major new features have you added?
- Uses Live Tile: (yes or no)
- Uses Panorama: (yes or no)
- Uses Pivot: (yes or no)
- Why does your app delight users?
Not every app will be selected for merchandising or promotion. However, sending us this information tells us that you think your app has what it takes to be promoted & merchandized. It also means that we will take the time to review your app to see if we think it should be promoted. The best apps that combine Functionality + Features + Great Windows Phone UX will be selected and scheduled to be promoted in the following weeks.
Good luck devs!